USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning everybody. We finally figured out the PW to SIL's Wi-Fi--she didn't know she HAD Wi-Fi :) --and I just wanted to check in to give everybody a virtual hug. We're having a great time In Arkansas and will be happy to have all the reunion stuff behind us and on to the fun stuff tomorrow. I didn't have time to read all the whole thread as we're off to church shortly and then other things but will do that when we get back to Texas. Everybody stay well.

View attachment 77611

Here is a shot I took today, in the middle of the afternoon. Six cubs and the mother.
I'll bet that was noisy!

Unfortunately not ! The foxes rarely make any noise. Which means I have to keep looking out of the window all day to see if they are there. I have not seen much of them for two days now and have not taken any new photos.
There were a pair of foxes at my former place. They raised a litter of kits every year for several years. They did make a bit of noise, not at all dog-like, as many expect. They also ate my strawberries every summer.

I am wondering what happens when the fox cubs grow up. Do the parents chase them away? If not its going to get mighty crowded under next doors patio, with two adults and eight full grown cubs. At the moment the adults are playing games with the cubs.
I just took 34 digital pictures and only one was much good. I am glad I have gone digital because that much film would have cost me £15 and all for only one good picture. But with digital I can see them immediately and process them with windows photo enhancement feature. Then just delete the rubbish.

Nine and a half hours of sleep and I'm having trouble waking up even after doing my morning exercises to get the blood pumping......... I do better when I get 6 hours sleep.

Having a little trouble sleeping tonight so I thought I'd have a little more of GW's mead. It's tiring me out quite nicely. We need to figure out how to get more when this is gone...this is great stuff.
Mead-of-the-month club?
Thanks!
I started prepping the bottles for the two batches ready to be bottled and put up to age. Started that new one a couple of days ago and prepped a batch of strawberries and put them in the freezer for later. They are cheap right now and I do like that strawberry melomel.

View attachment 77611

Here is a shot I took today, in the middle of the afternoon. Six cubs and the mother.
I'll bet that was noisy!

Unfortunately not ! The foxes rarely make any noise. Which means I have to keep looking out of the window all day to see if they are there. I have not seen much of them for two days now and have not taken any new photos.
There were a pair of foxes at my former place. They raised a litter of kits every year for several years. They did make a bit of noise, not at all dog-like, as many expect. They also ate my strawberries every summer.

I am wondering what happens when the fox cubs grow up. Do the parents chase them away? If not its going to get mighty crowded under next doors patio, with two adults and eight full grown cubs. At the moment the adults are playing games with the cubs.
I just took 34 digital pictures and only one was much good. I am glad I have gone digital because that much film would have cost me £15 and all for only one good picture. But with digital I can see them immediately and process them with windows photo enhancement feature. Then just delete the rubbish.
I believe the chase them away. The young ones go out and find their own territories. At least, the pair of foxes that raised their kits under my utility trailer every summer seemed to be "empty nesters" before the next batch of kits showed up the following year. A lot of them fall prey to other animals (bears, wolves, and eagles all prey on small critters like fox), many others succumb to the press of automobiles.
This link provides a brief description of the fox life cycle. Red Fox - Vulpes vulpes - NatureWorks

Fresh hay is one of the greatest smells in the world...green, leafy, freshly cut hay! I got the first load of the year in, about 70 bales. Of course, it has to be unloaded from the trailer and stacked, but that's always been one of my jobs. The partner will drive out and "score" our grass, but he'd rather leave it on the trailer and tarp it.
It's been raining regularly here this past week. Sheila got here the last completely sunny day. We do need the rain, though. Otherwise, as hot and dry as it's been, and as little snow as we had this past winter, we're looking at it being only a matter of time before some moron torches the countryside.

Tip of the Coffee cup to GW... :coffee:

upload_2016-6-13_4-21-32.png

I was able to sneak in about 10 seconds of video with Gypsy Also attacking Moo-Moo's tail and feet. He just laid there and let her. Heather says she saw them actively playing together but couldn't record it in time. Might have to upload to YouTube since I don't any options on here for video uploads.

View attachment 77611

I'll bet that was noisy!

I believe the chase them away. The young ones go out and find their own territories. At least, the pair of foxes that raised their kits under my utility trailer every summer seemed to be "empty nesters" before the next batch of kits showed up the following year. A lot of them fall prey to other animals (bears, wolves, and eagles all prey on small critters like fox), many others succumb to the press of automobiles.
This link provides a brief description of the fox life cycle. Red Fox - Vulpes vulpes - NatureWorks

Thanks, I will try to get some photos of the fights that are yet to come. At the moment the adult Foxes are playing with the cubs. As for predators there are none in Urban England. Although the cubs may risk getting run over.

[QUOTE/="Ridgerunner, post: 14495400, member: 57329"]Tip of the Coffee cup to GW... :coffee:

View attachment 77934[/QUOTE]
Thank your, RR! While those larger round bales in the background are marginally less expensive, I prefer the smaller 55-65lb bales. They are easier to handle and the way they "flake" makes measuring the amount of food being fed the animals more accurate. With the rain we've had lately I'm not sure when they'll cut again. The old "make hay while the sun shines" adage is more than a folksy saying.

I'll bet that was noisy!

Thanks, I will try to get some photos of the fights that are yet to come. At the moment the adult Foxes are playing with the cubs. As for predators there are none in Urban England. Although the cubs may risk getting run over.
Sometimes, it is amazing how adaptable animals can be. You have foxes in urban England. Here, we have moose and bears. Where their natural range has been encroached upon by human habitation, mountain lions are making their homes in parks and greenbelts adjacent to people. Sad part about all that is, such animals frequently meet sad ends because of their proximity to humans.

Enjoying some cooler temps this morning if one considers 80 degrees a cooler temp. We're supposed to be in the hundreds all the rest of the week.

Enjoying some cooler temps this morning if one considers 80 degrees a cooler temp. We're supposed to be in the hundreds all the rest of the week.

90's here, with a few Louisiana-like rain showers throughout. Praying my pool liner holds up for one last season. lol

90's here, with a few Louisiana-like rain showers throughout. Praying my pool liner holds up for one last season. lol
Well at least our current humidity level is at 12%, later today it'll probably be in the minus range. I'm still having issues with my in-ground, oversized chemistry set......... Still have algae problems. Might just have to drain it, clean it and start fresh.

Forum List

Back