USMB Coffee Shop IV

It's mid June and in these parts that means fireworks season is in full swing. Pittsburghers love, and I mean Love fireworks with a capital L. Professional fireworks displays are so common at the ballyard that, rumor has it, a refugee family from the Middle East who were housed on the north bank of the Allegheny River a few blocks from PMC Park asked to be relocated due to the din of skyrockets.

Roadside fireworks stands start popping up this time of year the way toad stools pop up after a rainy night. Neighborhoods around here enjoy amature fireworks displays nearly every evening between now and Independence Day.

And then in August the annual St. Rocco's Day feast is topped off by yet another spectacular display of sky rockets. Way back when I was a little shaver, Mom, Pop, my baby brother, our dog Captain and I went to the St. Rocco's feast.

We had a grand time! Carnival rides and all the delectable carnival food, a dusty midway with sideshows and barkers, people demonstrating the newest kitchen gadgets that guaranteed to turn a radish into a rose or slice a single tomato so thinly that it alone could feed a battalion. And then we took our place on the north bank of the Ohio to watch the fireworks.

We put Captain in the car to await our return. The fireworks went off for what seemed to be forty five minutes, maybe more. Everyone oohed and awed and were fascinated be the innovative sky rockets. They were made by the skilled craftsmen at Zambelli fireworks in nearby New Castle, Pennsylvania. Let me tell ya, those folks at Zambelli are the greatest!

When we got back to the car, we found Captain in a catatonic state. The trauma of the noise combined with our absence had rendered that poor dog into a shivering, slobbering mess. He was never the same dog since. A car backfiring, a thunderstorm, any loud sudden noise made poor old Captain shake and pant.

It got so bad for him that Pop took him to the veterinarian for prescription tranquilizers this time of year. We had them at the ready to calm the poor pooch down.

The problem one year was who gave Captain the doggy downers. Mom had dosed him up in mid afternoon once the neighbors began a pop bottle rocket barrage. Pop then gave him a pill, not knowing that Mom was Captain's pusher. By 6:00, Captain was out of it! He staggered from the dining room into the living room as if he was Keith Richards on tour! Captain stood next to the wall of the living room, eyes glassy, tongue looking like a slice of ham from Gus' Delicatessen, and leaned against that wall in barbiturate induced bliss.

So far, I have been lucky with Daisy the Mutt. I make no fuss over the reports from local fireworks, I act oblivious to thunder claps. She really doesn't let much get under her skin. So far, and again I've been lucky, she sleeps right through the noise.

Last edited:
I had massive scaling and algae issues the first two seasons. Turns out, it was the hardness of the water (over 450 PPM and the acceptable level is 150 - 250 if I recall correctly).

Every powdered amendment contains calcium and salts to bind the chemicals. Adding those to your water adds to the PPM, and eventually, there will be nothing left to do but drain the water and refill.

This year, I have my pump running 24/7, and am using liquid chlorine and muriatic acid for pH down (I buy both at Lowes, the muriatic acid is in the paint section). The return line to the pool has been secured in a manner than the returning water splashes down into the pool, oxygenating the water like you would with an aquarium.

Using the liquids negates further build-up of calcium (algae loves it some calcium!), and keeping the water oxygenated prevents the total alkalinity from rising with the pH (as it normally would). This way, rather than cleaning dirty water, you are stabilizing clean water, and keeping it that way!

In the past, my pools pH would fluctuate wildly from perfectly neutral to over 8.5 in less than 12 hours. Today (after stabilizing the water for a week prior to anyone swimming), I add two cups of muriatic acid at sun down, and two cup of chlorine once at sundown (15 minutes after the muriatic acid), and once after the family has had their daily swim.

Water is crystal clear now, and pH goes from 6.8 to 7.2 after 24 hours of use if I forget a dose of chemicals.

I just wish I could've figured all this out the first year. lol

Following up on this post, I forgot to check the pH levels yesterday, so two full days went by with no acid or chlorine added to the pool. pH was sitting at 6.8 (I brought it down to 6.6 the other day), and we had 7 children plus 4 adults in that pool all afternoon. I added 1.5 cups of chlorine and the levels are now at the target 2 PPM. Crystal clear, sanitized swimming water.

This will be the first time I've ever had to wait for my pH to RISE to the proper levels (7.4 is the same pH as the mucus membranes in human eyes and will prevent the stinging eyes).

Stabilize that water!

13412897_10206001584229941_2609759438337471404_n.jpg

Fireworks and our dry weather are not compatible at the moment. Doesn't stop the subsidized folks from trying to set the world on fire though.

I actually wondered where this place was, had some trouble finding it. Anyone like horror movies?

Fireworks and our dry weather are not compatible at the moment. Doesn't stop the subsidized folks from trying to set the world on fire though.
I'm in North Texas, green here. It'll be another great, fireworks-filled 4th of July!

We left Amarillo a little over five hours ago headed home. And it is indeed much more green in the Panhandle than is usual this time of year. But sadly, on the road home we passed fairly near the Dog Head Fire burning in the Manzano Mountains just southeast of Albuquerque--over 17 square miles burning now and zero containment. About 300 homes lost, hundreds of folks evacuated, and they're putting out requests for donations for water and pet food--a number of animal boarding places etc. are taking in rescued pets separated from their owners. Very sad.

And needless to say most local folks are looking very negatively toward fireworks season.

I actually wondered where this place was, had some trouble finding it. Anyone like horror movies?

Hi Pumpkin Row. I can appreciate one or two of the real classics like "The Shining", but normally shy away from horror themes, excessive cruelty, excessive violence.

But welcome to the Coffee Shop. I believe this is your first visit.

Your first timer's complimentary beverage:

upload_2016-6-18_14-19-17.png

Hi Pumpkin Row. I can appreciate one or two of the real classics like "The Shining", but normally shy away from horror themes, excessive cruelty, excessive violence.

View attachment 78594
It is my first visit, yes, thank you~

Nice to meet you~

I REALLY like horror movies. Some of my favorites are Event Horizon, Stay Alive, the Final Destination series, the Saw series~

View attachment 78594

Nice to meet you~

I REALLY like horror movies. Some of my favorites are Event Horizon, Stay Alive, the Final Destination series, the Saw series~

Not aware of any of those since, as I said, I avoid that genre. But you'll no doubt find a few Coffee Shoppers who don't. :)

Oh, and of course for you and anybody reading in, you'll find the Coffee Shop in the Community Section on USMB's home page - this thread will usually be near the top in The Lounge sub forum.

View attachment 78594

Nice to meet you~

Not aware of any of those since, as I said, I avoid that genre. But you'll no doubt find a few Coffee Shoppers who don't. :)
You should try watching them, come on, you know you want to~

View attachment 78594
My wife doesn't like horror movies or movies involving torture (e.g. Unbroken), but I like them all. Not the slasher flicks big in the 80s like Halloween, but a good story such as "The Haunting", "Psycho" and more recent fair like The Conjuring and Insidious III (which I saw on a plane and was much better than I thought. Looking forward to seeing I and II).

View attachment 78594
My wife doesn't like horror movies or movies involving torture (e.g. Unbroken), but I like them all. Not the slasher flicks big in the 80s like Halloween, but a good story such as "The Haunting", "Psycho" and more recent fair like The Conjuring and Insidious III (which I saw on a plane and was much better than I thought. Looking forward to seeing I and II).
The first Insidious isn't as good as the second and third one, so keep your expectations low. It has a few moments, but still. Also, a lot of people like to jump on board the Paranormal Activity hype train, but it's really one of the worst horror movies I've ever seen. I highly suggest avoiding that series.

View attachment 78594

Your wife and I would probably enjoy the same kinds of movies then. :)

Just returned from Fort Stanton, finally made it up there with some of my gear and an outfit to wear. We got a late start so didn't arrive till around 1 PM. My initial reception was slightly cool at first but by the time we left at 4:30 everyone wanted to know if we would be back for the July 9th big event. The Sergent and I were talking about me possibly doing a sutler impression. They typically do pre-Civil War (1850s) but most of what I have fits right in. The wife had a good time talking with the ladies there and is considering getting back into doing living histories, she stopped participating because of the inter company politics and personality BS issues she had with some of the Stonewall Brigade people, a couple who definitely stabbed her in the back and our company Sergent who eventually showed himself to be a true misogynist. He was one of the reasons I never went back to the Stonewall Brigade when I returned from my self imposed 4 year hiatus eons ago.
It was around 90 degrees at the fort and around 2000 feet higher in elevation from El Paso so there was some acclimation, didn't take long for us to tire out. On the way home by the time we hit Tularosa the temp was 107, it dropped to 104 by the time we made it home (3 hour drive), yeah I'm pretty tired.

Last edited:
I'm in North Texas, green here. It'll be another great, fireworks-filled 4th of July!

We left Amarillo a little over five hours ago headed home. And it is indeed much more green in the Panhandle than is usual this time of year. But sadly, on the road home we passed fairly near the Dog Head Fire burning in the Manzano Mountains just southeast of Albuquerque--over 17 square miles burning now and zero containment. About 300 homes lost, hundreds of folks evacuated, and they're putting out requests for donations for water and pet food--a number of animal boarding places etc. are taking in rescued pets separated from their owners. Very sad.

And needless to say most local folks are looking very negatively toward fireworks season.
They just "celebrated" the first anniversary of our big fire up here. Not nearly that number of homes lost, but then, Willow is probably far less densely populated. I hope they can contain and stop the fire soon. These wildfires are so devastating. Hope you and yours are safe and sound, Foxy.

They just "celebrated" the first anniversary of our big fire up here. Not nearly that number of homes lost, but then, Willow is probably far less densely populated. I hope they can contain and stop the fire soon. These wildfires are so devastating. Hope you and yours are safe and sound, Foxy.

Thanks. We are in no danger from the fire here in Albuquerque except for air quality from the smoke.

Forum List

Back