USMB Coffee Shop IV

13620279_170462733369704_5110020547828064602_n.jpg

Took the wife for a drive yesterday just to get her out of the house and help her relax. Drove east along I 10 to Van Horn then north on Texas 54 to Guadalupe Mountains National Park and finally home via Rte 62, about 5 1/2 hours total.

Howdy, y'all!
It's been awhile but I have a couple of minutes to stop by. I read a few of the newest posts but there were about 30 pages from where I last stopped by.
Between cleaning up around the place I'm staying now, and clearing trees and cutting firewood up in Willow, it's been a very busy time for me. I have a couple dozen old, rotting 800 lb round bales of hay that need gone in the first place, and lots of accumulated debris that has to be loaded and taken to the landfill. On the Willow side, all the "slash" from the trees we're cutting has to be loaded and taken to the landfill, too. It's been so hot and dry, I don't want to risk burning the stuff, which is what we'd usually do with it. I do feel much better, clearing trees and brush away from the cabin and sheds in Willow, to be sure. And, I've now put up almost five cords of firewood! The partner can sit and operate the wood-splitter, but I have had to overcome my fear of using a chainsaw. I'm very cautious, but can now lop up a good-sized tree. Of course, you might guess who's lugging all that wood back and forth and stacking it...
Another old friend and her hubby will be here next week. She's got family here and I am going to loan them my Jeep to get around in. I still have the Dodge (it's air-conditioned!!!) so I can afford to share. They live in Arizona now, since she got married and he retired. This has been a very social summer for me, so far.
Well, almost time to clock out and head off to breakfast with the partner and another buddy. All three of us work on the Willow place and we need to discuss further strategy for clearing up. This weekend, I hope to drag some of the stumps away and dispose of those, too.
Check back later!:coffee:

I can't keep up either...I am, however, getting my kitchen and the upstairs bathroom redone...Yay, I won't be ashamed of my kitchen anymore. Trust me guys, it's horrible. Plus, it's going to be much bigger. Whoever designed this house back in 1963 when it was built, made a 3,000 square foot house with about a 10 x 12 foot kitchen. Obviously it was a man as only a man back then would have designed such a small kitchen.
Hey, you saw how tiny my whole place was! Of course, when you have to cut and split firewood it's amazing how much smaller a house can be.

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have bought such a big house. Small houses are cheaper to keep warm. I just spent $7,000 on a new furnace and almost $3000 to fix my vents under the house, we were losing almost 20% of our heat in leaks. Next year, we're living really poor to pay back all this money for our retirement.

Wow. I didn't think you would have such extreme heat and extreme cold where you are Sheila. So even with leaks, why so expensive to heat it?

Oh by the way, we're home. Whirlwind activities when we weren't driving that last three days, stopped by to pick up our resident dog, and came home to crash. I am so ready to have a day with nowhere we have to be and nothing that we have to do.

Took the wife for a drive yesterday just to get her out of the house and help her relax. Drove east along I 10 to Van Horn then north on Texas 54 to Guadalupe Mountains National Park and finally home via Rte 62, about 5 1/2 hours total.

You relax by driving 5-1/2 hours?

Was there a good movie on last night or what?

Apparently so. :) And it is convention season again so all the evening TV schedules are torn up. We checked our DVR last night to see what we had missed and the usual programs had recorded, but when we tried playback, it was almost all convention speeches. No doubt the same trend will be this week. Oh well. We have lots of movies we can put in to play.

Monsoon weather is back so a wee bit of cooling continues plus we have a chance for a thundershower. Boy it was hot hot HOT in west Texas this last few days though. I was happy to get home to Albuquerque where it is also hot but not that hot.

I plan on being very tired throughout the Olympics. Anybody know when the Wii events are?

I'm having a hard time getting excited about the Olympics too. It used to be that you kind of kept up with the athletes, but the only place you see sports events that aren't football, basketball, football, or golf are on the obscure cable channels any more. So I don't really know any of the contestants. I do still enjoy watching gymnastics and swimming competitions but the rest, meh. Anyhow keeping up with American Ninja Warriors, Americas Got Talent, and Spartan Extreme Competition Challenge is usually enough athletics for me.

Last edited:
Wish my daughter's shoulder was not as injured as it is, she had an opportunity to train for javelin. Destiny made her a great track coach instead.

Wish my daughter's shoulder was not as injured as it is, she had an opportunity to train for javelin. Destiny made her a great track coach instead.

When our son was still in college, he was offered a spot on the olympic 4-man and 8-man rowing team--he was that good--but he decided not to take the time off from school plus incur the expense to do it. I always wondered if he made the right decision about that and we were prepared to help as much as we could, but in truth, who can name a single person who medaled on a rowing team? Still it would have made a great addition to his collection of athletic medals earned over the years.

I don't know if you watched the Olympic Trials this year, but in the women's 1500m finals two ladies dove over the finish line for the final place on the team. Amanda Eccleston who was second in that was a graduate of Hillsdale College and spent her fifth year of eligibility at the University of Michigan. Very classy in the interviews after.

I plan on being very tired throughout the Olympics. Anybody know when the Wii events are?

I'm having a hard time getting excited about the Olympics too. It used to be that you kind of kept up with the athletes, but the only place you see sports events that aren't football, basketball, football, or golf are on the obscure cable channels any more. So I don't really know any of the contestants. I do still enjoy watching gymnastics and swimming competitions but the rest, meh. Anyhow keeping up with American Ninja Warriors, Americas Got Talent, and Spartan Extreme Competition Challenge is usually enough athletics for me.

Gymnastics is my favorite Olympic event. Been watching the gymnastics event since I was a little girl. :)

I don't know if you watched the Olympic Trials this year, but in the women's 1500m finals two ladies dove over the finish line for the final place on the team. Amanda Eccleston who was second in that was a graduate of Hillsdale College and spent her fifth year of eligibility at the University of Michigan. Very classy in the interviews after.

We have a couple of Albuquerque people competing.

Gymnastics is my favorite Olympic event. Been watching the gymnastics event since I was a little girl. :)

I love it too. Years ago when I was director of a large social agency in Kansas, not long after Nadia Comaneci earned the first 10's ever awarded in gymnastics stirring up interest all over the country, we received a large donation that allowed us to initiate a full gymnastics program with all the equipment we needed for both girls and boys competitive gymnastics so the kids could start early as most Olympic calabre gymnasts do until highschool and college programs could take over for them. These programs are generally not available in elementary and middle school. We were fortunate enough to have a couple of top notch instructors to help get them started. Several of 'our kids' went on to international and world competitions. They definitely had a leg up on those kids who didn't start gymnastics until they got to highschool. Not sure if any made it to the Olympics.

Come on guys, I am not a conversation starter, off the wall comment guy sure, but you all really need to do your part around here.

Forum List

Back