USMB Coffee Shop IV

Uh oh. I finally heard back from my advisor at the school I'm trying to take courses from. She gave me a list of classes she said I need to take this semester, and one of them is the class that requires me to be on-campus. I have already talked to their registrar's office about taking classes at another school close to me, so I can get credit for those 2 courses, and was told I need to first complete a semester at their school before they will allow me to take courses at another school to put towards the program. So now it's possible I just can't do this at all, at least not until next year, which would mean all this will have been a giant waste of time and money and I'll have to try another option.

:(

13900246_1664886393832561_5640428883124808626_n.jpg

Uh oh. I finally heard back from my advisor at the school I'm trying to take courses from. She gave me a list of classes she said I need to take this semester, and one of them is the class that requires me to be on-campus. I have already talked to their registrar's office about taking classes at another school close to me, so I can get credit for those 2 courses, and was told I need to first complete a semester at their school before they will allow me to take courses at another school to put towards the program. So now it's possible I just can't do this at all, at least not until next year, which would mean all this will have been a giant waste of time and money and I'll have to try another option.

So she won't let you waive that class for awhile and take something else?

Good night Darlinks. I hope all sleep well. And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Boedicca's Dad,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in their transition and Gracie's eye surgery,
Saveliberty in job transition,
GW and his doxie,
Montrovant's transition,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, 007, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

The meteor shower was spectacular the last three days. . .
Leonid_Meteor.jpg

So she won't let you waive that class for awhile and take something else?

I don't know yet. I got the email from her Friday evening. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to try and get a hold of her on the phone or get another email back from her. I don't know why it would be necessary to take the class this semester rather than next, I'm hoping that the courses she listed were more of a recommendation than any sort of necessity.

I also went to look over my second school option in case this doesn't pan out, and there may be a problem I hadn't seen with that, as well. It's at least possible I'm going to end up back to a simple coding certificate program rather than getting an associates. I don't know how much of a negative impact that might have on employment options. :dunno:

Sold the last car for the dealership Saturday and have the first two for the new owner Monday. Somebody better buy a few new and used ones for stock or I may have to fire the owner. ;)

&*(#@$^#&(^%&#*)((@#$

I got another email from my advisor.

The program I have been trying to get into, which I have mentioned by name in multiple correspondences with various offices at the school, DOES NOT EVEN EXIST. On the school website they list Healthcare Management Technology as an available online program. I applied to get into that program. My acceptance letter says I have been accepted into the prerequisite certificate program. Everything I've been doing has been based on that program, and it doesn't fucking exist!

The program that does exist, which is Health Information Management Technology, has 5 additional courses which are not available online. Strangely, that includes 3 coding courses. My original thoughts about getting education included possibly taking a coding course online, yet this school apparently doesn't even offer that. 'They have found that the courses work better face-to-face' or some crap like that.

So it appears the school has been jerking me around for more than a month, I've forked out at least $100 (when I have a job where I make almost no money), and I've wasted enough time that I might not be able to enter another similar program until next year.

And people wonder why I am cynical and pessimistic.....

:mad:

&*(#@$^#&(^%&#*)((@#$

The program I have been trying to get into, which I have mentioned by name in multiple correspondences with various offices at the school, DOES NOT EVEN EXIST. On the school website they list Healthcare Management Technology as an available online program. I applied to get into that program. My acceptance letter says I have been accepted into the prerequisite certificate program. Everything I've been doing has been based on that program, and it doesn't fucking exist!

The program that does exist, which is Health Information Management Technology, has 5 additional courses which are not available online. Strangely, that includes 3 coding courses. My original thoughts about getting education included possibly taking a coding course online, yet this school apparently doesn't even offer that. 'They have found that the courses work better face-to-face' or some crap like that.

So it appears the school has been jerking me around for more than a month, I've forked out at least $100 (when I have a job where I make almost no money), and I've wasted enough time that I might not be able to enter another similar program until next year.

One of the best lines of advice I constantly give myself is 'don't make it harder than it has to be.' But I will admit that it is difficult these days to avoid those who insist on making it harder than it has to be. Check into the Grand Canyon University. They have an on line health sciences program and might be able to put together an associate degree for you. They were putting together an all online religious studies degree for me--I wanted the credentials for a curriculum I am writing-- but my money for that was sidetracked by my surgery last fall. Just google them and they'll come right up for you. They also had excellent people skills and were quick to explain everything completely and competently.

&*(#@$^#&(^%&#*)((@#$

Unfortunately the "cheap" online schools are cheap for a reason. Here's the proper question to ask; Is the school accredited?
If it is you typically pay more, and even then some classes cannot be taken online but you have a degree or certificate from an accredited school which means most if not all of your course credit will transfer.

Been cooling around here over the last few days, low 90s and we have had some rain. Heck yesterday we had a gully washer dropping at least a couple of inches in about 20 minutes, the side road became a river and the wife was worried we'd be flooded...... Wasn't even close to being flooded.
At the end of the month is my disability hearing up in Colorado Springs, we''ll head up 2 days before, meet with the lawyer the 2nd day then have the hearing the morning of the 3rd day then head home.
Happy Tails will come by twice a day to feed and check up on the cats so that's taken care of and since we have to travel for the hearing it's all refundable.

&*(#@$^#&(^%&#*)((@#$

Unfortunately the "cheap" online schools are cheap for a reason. Here's the proper question to ask; Is the school accredited?
If it is you typically pay more, and even then some classes cannot be taken online but you have a degree or certificate from an accredited school which means most if not all of your course credit will transfer.

There are different forms of accreditation. The traditional one is regional accreditation, but there are national accreditations as well, which is what the all-online schools use.

I have yet to look at a school, and I've looked at dozens, that wasn't accredited by an organization 'recognized as an accrediting organization by the Department of Education' or similar text.

The tech school I have been trying to get into is regionally accredited. If I do an all online school it will be nationally accredited. I don't know if it will cause any issues with potential employers. I would most likely also get certification(s) once I complete the degree, there are coding as well as registered health information technologist certifications, and perhaps others; the certifications might be all an employer really wants.

I'm still holding out a thread of hope that the advisor didn't know what she was talking about. She didn't even realize the school web site has an area for online degrees, but I am guessing I'm out of luck here.

Happy 165th birthday to Dr. John Henry Holliday.
OK y'all. I'm looking for people who have dealt with carpal tunnel syndrome. Woke up yesterday with excruciating pain in my right wrist. Symptoms all point to CTS.
Has anyone been successfully treated with anything less than surgery?

OK y'all. I'm looking for people who have dealt with carpal tunnel syndrome. Woke up yesterday with excruciating pain in my right wrist. Symptoms all point to CTS.
Yes, the wife but her "carpel tunnel" was neck related, Chiropractic treatments worked. Basically it may not be carpel tunnel per se so you should get it checked out.

Since I can't imagine you're doing a lot of things that generally cause CTS, I am thinking Ringel is giving good advice to get a good medical opinion. There are any number of things that could be causing you wrist pain. And if it is CTS, there are all kinds of treatment that should be used and surgery should be an absolute last resort: ergonomics, physical therapy, cortisone injections, etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
Good morning and Happy Monday everybody. Bright blue clear skies and still that touch of fall in the air here. Afternoon temps remain in the 80's, possibly hitting 90, but that is very pleasant summer weather for us. Need to go make my breakfast shake and then hit the showers. Planning to bake cookies later to take to my Uncle Ed who is not doing well healthwise.

Well, I have started buying Gold coins. I purchased three sovereigns today. But I am paying £15 more each for them than the price advertised on various web sites, because I brought them at a jewellers shop.
I prefer to get them from a shop than risk my details on the internet, and rely on getting them through the post.
Since I plan to keep them for years I expect them to go up in value.

I need to see dramatic improvements at work by the end of the week or seek alternatives. I guess I can also consider staying with a large raise, but it would need to be large.

Just got back from a road trip up to Silver City then the Gila Cliff Dwellings (which we didn't hike up to). I'm exhausted. One thing is the trip up to the Cliff Dwellings from Silver City is a gorgeous albeit slow drive. The section of Rte 15 from Silver City is mostly winding, twisty road barely big enough for two cars to pass each other, the section after Rte 35 is much better and it's all mountain driving.

I looked at a couple of online only schools, and while I may yet choose one of them, they don't have a particular accreditation that I worry might be important. Whatever degree I get needs to be CAHIM accredited in order to get a Registered Health Informatics Technician certificate. I can't be sure I'll need that, but it might help in job searching. The online only schools don't seem to have that accreditation in their programs.

I found a couple of regionally accredited schools that I might be able to get into shorter Fall terms for. I've talked with a woman at one that has what appears to be an all online degree program which has that CAHIM accreditation. They have what they call a B Term which runs for 8 weeks rather than the usual 16. I'm hoping I can start in late September for the Fall B Term, then do normal full terms for the rest.

I'm still pissed at the other school for wasting so much of my time. Hopefully this one turns out better.

Forum List

Back