USMB Coffee Shop IV

I know it hurts. But remember..she loves you and knows you love her too. Its done with love.
When they stop eating and drinking...that is their only way to communicate. She might want out to wander off to the woods to die? Animals usually do that, but you know her better than I do. Go with your heart.

About a good softball throw away from out campground at Three Forks, MT was a place call Wheat Montana. It was a place that milled wheat, made bread and all other sorts of good stuff that comes from wheat. They also had a little side thing going on where you could get coffee and some of the things they baked there. You could either take it to go or sit down and enjoy the local crowd while you enjoyed your snack. Mrs. BBD and I stopped by there just before 0700. I quickly ordered a cup of coffee but it took me some time to decide what I wanted to eat. There was just to many good things to pick from. All freshly baked. All smelling and looking good. My instinct was to get one of everything they sold but I finally settled on a danish pastry. I pride myself of being an honest judge of what constitutes a good cup of coffee. The coffee was pretty close to the best cup of coffee I have ever consumed in my life. On a scale of 1to 10 I would give this cup of coffee a 9.9. It was that close to being perfect. The danish was also legendary. My taste buds exploded. It was all simply put - wonderful! This Wheat Montana place is right beside the exit on I-90 at Three Forks and if you ever pass by you owe it to yourself to stop in there and spend a few minutes. After we had our breakfast we just sort of drove around the local countryside checking out the scenery. We didn't do anything big that day. Mostly just drove around and took in the scenery. Montana is a pretty place. We saw several deer and a pack of four coyotes. Around noon we headed back towards the campground and had some lunch and then a nap. The next morning we would be heading back towards home. We had already decided that maybe next year we would come back to Montana and maybe go to the Glacier National Park area.

I shall tell you about the return trip home next time...

Good night Darlinks. I hope all sleep well. And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Boedicca's Dad,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in their transition and Gracie's eye surgery,
Saveliberty in job transition,
Montrovant's transition,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, 007, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

And special thoughts and love for GW and his Old Lady Cat

n1-43FireRainbow.jpg

Good morning everybody. I got up in a philosophical mood. And was reminded of two important truths:

1. The young and the old share many hopes, dreams, possibilities, and emotions. The young probably can't imagine it, but we of the older generation still feel passionate about many things, you love just as intensely, you have just as much fun, you are outraged and amused and inspired just as much.

2. And there really is a generation gap. I realized it more profoundly when I found I agreed with this:

14067651_10157348237595512_1030810450026434639_n.jpg

And it's true. I can't bring myself to use the texting shorthand the young-uns use. For me it is proper sentences complete with proper capitalization and punctuation. I think I may be hopeless in that regard.

Yesterday, I noticed that the snakeweed is beginning to bloom. That is the surest sign that the bulk of summer is behind us and autumn is just around the corner. In another month the chamisa will be blooming in all its glory in northern New Mexico, the aspens will be turning, and the cooler temperatures will be here to stay. Though we really can't complain about our low 80's we're having now. I could live with that year round.

14054309_10208860017196684_7804206615678524503_o.jpg

It seems as if Big Black Dog is having the time of his life exploring the open west. After western Illinois, the Big Skies of Montana must feel like quitting a morgue for the fresh air of the mountains. I hope he and Mrs. BBD get home safely.

Our family vacations were not quite as adventurous. We would rent a cabin on the south shore of Lake Erie in a little Ohio village called, romantically, but inappropriately Geneva-on-the-Lake. It's about 60 miles east of cosmopolitan Cleveland in the heart of Ashtabula County.

Back in the mid 1960s, Geneva-on-the-Lake had a wide open carnival vibe. It was not unusual to see motorcycle gangs partying in one of the scores of bars and taverns and out on the main drag. Now, Mom and Pop were not like Marlon Brando and Bette Page. Actually they were more like Ozzie and Harriet Nelson. But Pop had been coming to Geneva-on-the-Lake ever since he himself was a wee bairn before World War II.

By the mid 1960s, the water quality of Lake Erie was notorious. The Cuyahoga River tended to burst into flames as it poured into Lake Erie. But we frolicked and swam in those polluted waters without regard to our health and safety. How we came out without various parts of us dropping off is a mystery to this day!

Summer evenings were spent in downtown Geneva-on-the-Lake. They had carnival rides and midway games right out on the main street. Young men wore elaborate black jackets with maps of Korea or the Philippine islands embroidered across the back. Pompadour haircuts and prominent combs and Zippo lighters rolled into their short sleeves completed the look. Young women wore bell bottom blue jeans and vests laden heavy with fringe and long arrow straight hair.

The smell of burnt Pennzoil and stale beer and Coppertone suntan oil filled my nose. The blatting roar of motorcycles and rock and roll from juke boxes filled my ears. It was the summer of Sam the Sham and the Pharos and their hit "Little Red Riding Hood" thumped from every open door on every dive bar.

One of the carnival midway games featured a little silver metal car about the size of a man's dress shoe. It had a little red rubber tab protruding from one side. It ran on a cleat attached to the counter of the game. Ten penny nails driven into the counter stuck up about two inches high. That rubber tab thumped along those nails like the rubber tab on the Wheel of Fortune thumps along the wheel. The players would bet one dime on any number in front of those nails. The game operator would slam the car so it ran back and forth across the counter until it came to rest in front of a number. If yours was that number, you would win a pack of smokes, Luckys, Chesterfield Kings, Pall Malls, Winstons. I did love to watch that car as it slide across the counter.

We never got to see the purple mountains or a sea shore or amber waves of grain. We didn't have amusement parks with the whole vacation experience they provide. We did not take in the high brow cultural delights of museums and plays. But we did get a good look at the culture of the working class as they blew off steam along the dirty shores of Lake Erie.

Last edited:
Cripes ! I just found out that there are a lot of fake gold sovereigns in circulation. The test is to weigh them, because they should be 8 grams each. Due to my ignorance I bought some without having them weighed, Now I am wondering if one of them is fake, because it is a different colour to the others. If its a fake I have lost £275

Yesterday, I noticed that the snakeweed is beginning to bloom. That is the surest sign that the bulk of summer is behind us and autumn is just around the corner. In another month the chamisa will be blooming in all its glory in northern New Mexico, the aspens will be turning, and the cooler temperatures will be here to stay. Though we really can't complain about our low 80's we're having now. I could live with that year round.

14054309_10208860017196684_7804206615678524503_o.jpg

How funny. I came on here loaded with this pic to say the same thing....when the fields are full of goldenrod, it's nearly the end of summer.
Next will come the ironweed.
Then it will all be over.
goldenrod.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

ironweed2.jpg

Just checking in about Old Lady Cat, gallantwarrior. Did you open the door? Is she doing the same thing in wanting out? And mainly, how are YOU this morning with this hardship you are dealing with?

Cripes ! I just found out that there are a lot of fake gold sovereigns in circulation. The test is to weigh them, because they should be 8 grams each. Due to my ignorance I bought some without having them weighed, Now I am wondering if one of them is fake, because it is a different colour to the others. If its a fake I have lost £275

It's buyer beware for sure.

Good morning everybody. I got up in a philosophical mood. And was reminded of two important truths:

1. The young and the old share many hopes, dreams, possibilities, and emotions. The young probably can't imagine it, but we of the older generation still feel passionate about many things, you love just as intensely, you have just as much fun, you are outraged and amused and inspired just as much.

2. And there really is a generation gap. I realized it more profoundly when I found I agreed with this:

14067651_10157348237595512_1030810450026434639_n.jpg

And it's true. I can't bring myself to use the texting shorthand the young-uns use. For me it is proper sentences complete with proper capitalization and punctuation. I think I may be hopeless in that regard.

If it makes you feel better, I'm quite a bit younger than you I think, and I've never even sent a text. :)

The little one is still sick. :(

She went to the doctor yesterday. He apparently feels it is something viral and basically needs to be waited out; keep her well hydrated and comfortable, but there isn't much in the way of medicine to give her. She felt better last night and again this morning, so her mom sent her to school. She came home a bit before 1 today having once again thrown up at school. Right now she's napping in mommy's bed. She had a 100.2 temperature when I checked after she got home, so she got a dose of ibuprofen.

She just can't seem to shake this sickness. More than just the sickness, she's now missed the last 3 days of school, her first soccer practice is tonight (and her dad wants to get her on Friday before practice, so she's probably going to miss that one) and she's supposed to be going to Disney next week. She needs to be healthy for that, of course, but it also will mean missing some days of school, so her quota of missed days for this school year may almost be filled already.

Unfortunately there isn't really much I can do for her. :(

It's buyer beware for sure.

I just purchased a pocket digital gold scales from Amazon for £7 including postage. Now I can check all my coins myself. Ain't technology wonderful.

She went to the doctor yesterday. He apparently feels it is something viral and basically needs to be waited out; keep her well hydrated and comfortable, but there isn't much in the way of medicine to give her. She felt better last night and again this morning, so her mom sent her to school. She came home a bit before 1 today having once again thrown up at school. Right now she's napping in mommy's bed. She had a 100.2 temperature when I checked after she got home, so she got a dose of ibuprofen.

She just can't seem to shake this sickness. More than just the sickness, she's now missed the last 3 days of school, her first soccer practice is tonight (and her dad wants to get her on Friday before practice, so she's probably going to miss that one) and she's supposed to be going to Disney next week. She needs to be healthy for that, of course, but it also will mean missing some days of school, so her quota of missed days for this school year may almost be filled already.

That is a worry. With what you have been describing of her symptoms, I would be thinking a possible severe allergy.

That is a worry. With what you have been describing of her symptoms, I would be thinking a possible severe allergy.

She just recently had bloodwork done, didn't come up with any allergies.

Hope she feels well soon. :(

Hope she feels well soon. :(

She's feeling better at the moment. She ate some cottage cheese and frozen broccoli.

Hi GW! :bye1: How are things up in the great white north?
Typical state fair weather, rainy, rainy, and more rain. Waiting for my 21+ yr-old kitty to move on to the rainbow bridge. Busy as all get out, Uni starts next week and I'll have to report for duty to teach my class. How's things shakin' in your part o' the world?

Sorry to hear about kitty. :( That sucks. Things are same old around here. Having some beautiful weather!

Forum List

Back