USMB Coffee Shop IV

Oh and good morning and Merry Monday everybody. Our new dishwasher was just delivered (the old one died) and our favorite HVAC and plumbing guy will be here to install it within the next 24 hours. It is required that a licensed plumber do that here, not that Hombre would likely tackle it anyway with his bad back and hip. We are looking forward to it though. Once you get used to having one, having to hand wash ALL the dishes, especially when you have company, is a pain. My sister goes home later today. It will be strange just Hombre and me being here. No human house guests. No mini doxie. But that too shall pass I'm sure.

I hand wash almost all the dishes here. I've been hand washing dishes for at least 15 years now. It actually started because of a roommate I lived with in a place without a functioning dishwasher. I didn't want to wash his dishes and so I got in the habit of washing mine as soon as I finished using them, and it's carried over. Now I do it because, once the little one started going to school, I felt I needed to be more useful around the house to make up for the time I wasn't taking care of her.
I hand wash everything. The trailer I live in part of the time has no dishwasher and my cabin doesn't even have running water or regular electricity. Even my milking gear is washed by hand. Somehow, it's almost therapeutic, submersing your hands and arms in hot, soapy water...

Heh, I don't ENJOY it, I just do it. :p And I'd hate it even more without running water! :ack-1:

Oh and good morning and Merry Monday everybody. Our new dishwasher was just delivered (the old one died) and our favorite HVAC and plumbing guy will be here to install it within the next 24 hours. It is required that a licensed plumber do that here, not that Hombre would likely tackle it anyway with his bad back and hip. We are looking forward to it though. Once you get used to having one, having to hand wash ALL the dishes, especially when you have company, is a pain. My sister goes home later today. It will be strange just Hombre and me being here. No human house guests. No mini doxie. But that too shall pass I'm sure.

I hand wash almost all the dishes here. I've been hand washing dishes for at least 15 years now. It actually started because of a roommate I lived with in a place without a functioning dishwasher. I didn't want to wash his dishes and so I got in the habit of washing mine as soon as I finished using them, and it's carried over. Now I do it because, once the little one started going to school, I felt I needed to be more useful around the house to make up for the time I wasn't taking care of her.
I hand wash everything. The trailer I live in part of the time has no dishwasher and my cabin doesn't even have running water or regular electricity. Even my milking gear is washed by hand. Somehow, it's almost therapeutic, submersing your hands and arms in hot, soapy water...

Heh, I don't ENJOY it, I just do it. :p And I'd hate it even more without running water! :ack-1:
Well, I suppose "running" water is a matter of situational relevance. If it's raining, and I have to go outside to get the water, it will be "running" water. I admit, I will enjoy when I finally get the well in and the plumbing installed, though.

Good night Darlinks. I hope all sleep well. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Boedicca's Dad,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in a difficult transition and their Moki,
Montrovant's transition,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, 007, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

For our not afraid of heights people, in the Hunan province in China, here you have a clear glass walkway resembling a bridge but that you can see through it at the scenery below. It ends at a very high altitude restaurant attached to the side of the cliff and you can enjoy fine dining on a clear glass floor.

Glass-Walkway-China.jpg

W_HUNAN4.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Montrovant's transition,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, 007, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

For our not afraid of heights people, in the Hunan province in China, here you have a clear glass walkway resembling a bridge but that you can see through it at the scenery below. It ends at a very high altitude restaurant attached to the side of the cliff and you can enjoy fine dining on a clear glass floor.

Glass-Walkway-China.jpg

W_HUNAN4.jpg

You're killing me here, Foxy!

Just finished reading "Lakota Noon" written by Gregory F. Michno. Excellent read if you have any interest in the defeat of Custer at the Custer Battlefield.

Still waiting for a parcel from amazon, I ordered it on Monday so I think it is probably coming from abroad.
I have written out a note to the delivery man telling him where to put the parcel because I have got to go out tomorrow. Believe it or not I had to look up two words in my note in the dictionary. They were 'parcel', and 'cupboard'. I do not usually use those words on the internet, and I was not sure of the spelling.

I usually use the concise oxford dictionary which is one small volume, but in my extensive library I also have the shorter oxford dictionary. That is a two volume work of large sized books. I was curious how much bigger the complete oxford dictionary was so I looked it up on the internet, and it is twenty volumes and costs £750.

That leaves me wondering just how many words I do not know of that there must be in that 20 volumes.

Iza been trying to find out how many words there are in the complete oxford dictionary and it may be 500,000
With another 10,000 in the slang dictionary. Which tells me I am almost illiterate.

No! I was wrong, I have just found out the actual amount.

The Second Edition of the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary contains full entries for 171,476 words in current use, and 47,156 obsolete words. To this may be added around 9,500 derivative words included as subentries.

I am SO TIRED of squinting. I will glad when my new specs come in. This sucks. I have to keep going back to edit. Plus, my eyes get tired from all the squinty reading.

I am SO TIRED of squinting. I will glad when my new specs come in. This sucks. I have to keep going back to edit. Plus, my eyes get tired from all the squinty reading.

Usually you can expect improved vision after cataract surgery, but I don't know how it works for everybody. I can read as well without specs as I can with them, but the specs correct a really bad astigmatism that makes my eyes get really tired after awhile, so I do use them most of the time. Did the floaters clear up?

Usually you can expect improved vision after cataract surgery, but I don't know how it works for everybody. I can read as well without specs as I can with them, but the specs correct a really bad astigmatism that makes my eyes get really tired after awhile, so I do use them most of the time. Did the floaters clear up?
At first, I could see very well. Now? Not so much. See, I have mono eye. One sees far away very well (the one I had surgery on)..the other does the opposite. Looking thru both at the same time is not fun. I could use just one eye, but the one I had surgery on does not work up close. Neither does the other one, actually. So...reading words on the pc is a bitch.

Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Montrovant's transition,

Special thoughts for Sherry and WelfareQueen tonight. They are in the middle of the hurricane battering Florida tonight and Montrovant could also be in the path.

th

Last edited:
Looking at that hurricane tracking map makes me remember the Labor Day of 1987 when I was caught in the first of two hurricanes which blew through my life. Hurricane Elana came close enough to sunny Sarasota Florida to down power lines, blow mighty southern long leaf pines over, flood the low laying areas (to me, all of Florida is a low laying area because the topography of my portion of Ohio looks like an unmade bed).

I noticed blue circular EVACUATION ROUTE signs posted here and there when I first moved to Florida. I asked one of my colleagues what do we have to evacuate from? There are no nuclear power plants like the one seven miles away from me here in the crotch of the Tri-State area. There are no oil refineries like the one two miles down the Ohio River. There isn't a hazardous waste disposal plant like the one a mile and a half down the street from the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate. He rolled his eyes and explained in one word: "Hurricanes".

Being a hurricane novice, a raw Yankee from Ohio, unschooled in hazardous weather that does not produce two feet of snow or 3/4" of ice, I decided to drive down to the beach and see the show from the front row.I got to within two blocks of the beach when I encountered a road that normally does not lay beneath three feet of water. I pulled into a parking lot and watched what appeared to be bits of litter circling the upper floors of one of the luxury beach front high rises they were building at the time. That litter, upon closer inspection, turned out to be 4x8 sheets of drywall.

Three days after the event, I drove back to the same spot. I could see an enormous white mound on where Siesta Key beach should be. "That'll melt in a month or two" I thought to myself until I realized it was not snow plowed from parking lots, but beach sand that had been dredged up and redeposited so it could be spread out for sunbathers to lay on.

I learned a lot from that experience. I don't live in a place with 'normal' weather. It does not snow where I live. Don't leave the apartment in a hurricane unless the authorities tell you to.

Two years later I packed up and moved back home. I have never regretted the decision to do so.

Last edited:
No! I was wrong, I have just found out the actual amount.

The Second Edition of the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary contains full entries for 171,476 words in current use, and 47,156 obsolete words. To this may be added around 9,500 derivative words included as subentries.

So...its possible I speak obsolete? Makes sense.

Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Montrovant's transition,

Special thoughts for Sherry and WelfareQueen tonight. They are in the middle of the hurricane battering Florida tonight and Montrovant could also be in the path.

th

Thanks MamaFox, I'm too far west to have gotten more than a little rain from Hermine.

Forum List

Back