USMB Coffee Shop IV

Happy Saturday everybody though I imagine the weather is atrocious for a whole bunch of you on the East Coast. Hermine isn't a hurricane any more but still a powerful weather system that doesn't appear to have any intention of giving up any time soon.

We have returned to summer here though not extreme--a week of probably mid to high 80's and for us that is quite pleasant. I slept in this morning not really on purpose. Sat down to watch some morning TV shortly after thinking I had gotten up for the day and was out for the next two hours. Not like me so I must have needed it. But hoping for a good day for all.

Last night the centuries old tradition of burning Old Man Zozobra kicked off the Santa Fe Fiesta, a really big deal in New Mexico especially for those who live there or near there.

Zozobra is roughtly translated 'anxiety' or 'gloom'. By burning him all the worries and troubles of the previous year are destroyed and we all start over fresh. The people are invited to write down the nature of their gloom on a slip of paper and place these in a gloom box in the weeks leading up to the burning and these are placed at Zozobra's feet to be burned with him. As the figure burned in effagy is huge--20 to 30 feet tall with low level fireworks accompanying the lighting-- it is quite a spectacle.

Zozobra_2013_Ian_Armstrong.jpg
We just burn the bill collectors when they come to the door.........

Happy Saturday everybody though I imagine the weather is atrocious for a whole bunch of you on the East Coast. Hermine isn't a hurricane any more but still a powerful weather system that doesn't appear to have any intention of giving up any time soon.

We have returned to summer here though not extreme--a week of probably mid to high 80's and for us that is quite pleasant. I slept in this morning not really on purpose. Sat down to watch some morning TV shortly after thinking I had gotten up for the day and was out for the next two hours. Not like me so I must have needed it. But hoping for a good day for all.

Last night the centuries old tradition of burning Old Man Zozobra kicked off the Santa Fe Fiesta, a really big deal in New Mexico especially for those who live there or near there.

Zozobra is roughtly translated 'anxiety' or 'gloom'. By burning him all the worries and troubles of the previous year are destroyed and we all start over fresh. The people are invited to write down the nature of their gloom on a slip of paper and place these in a gloom box in the weeks leading up to the burning and these are placed at Zozobra's feet to be burned with him. As the figure burned in effagy is huge--20 to 30 feet tall with low level fireworks accompanying the lighting-- it is quite a spectacle.

Guessing it doesn't relieve much anxiety for dogs during the fireworks.

Guessing it doesn't relieve much anxiety for dogs during the fireworks.

Zozobra is burned near the Santa Fe Plaza and I doubt there are many residences, if any, within earshot of the fireworks. The Fiesta is a three day celebration with lots of Mexican food and Indian food vendors as well as vendors of souvenirs etc. set up all over the place, lots of entertainers. It's a really big deal. When I was still in highschool and as a young adult, it was great fun. Now we avoid the traffic plus the last few times it had gotten rather mean and you had to wary of many predators looking to mug or snatch purses or pick pockets. Maybe they have figured out a solution to all that in recent years but we don't go any more to fight the traffic and the crowds.

Dammit, my twitter account seems to have been hacked, and I cannot get into it.

Edit:

I finally got back into my account after setting a new password.

Last edited:
Cold and foggy today but I still have to take the dogs to the beach for their morning walk.

2 weeks from today, I will be toodling down the freeway to very WARM weather. I'm looking forward to it now. Tired of the gloomy weather.

Normally I have to refill the hummingbird feeder every two and a half days but over the last couple of days I haven't seen the sugar water level drop significantly. Okay, maybe they moved on, time for the hummingbird test...... The base of the feeder is about my nose level so I walk up to it and put my nose on the base, within a second the Broadtail is about a foot and a half in front of my face darting back and forth sending out telepathic messages, MINE!! GO AWAY!!!! :lol:

Normally I have to refill the hummingbird feeder every two and a half days but over the last couple of days I haven't seen the sugar water level drop significantly. Okay, maybe they moved on, time for the hummingbird test...... The base of the feeder is about my nose level so I walk up to it and put my nose on the base, within a second the Broadtail is about a foot and a half in front of my face darting back and forth sending out telepathic messages, MINE!! GO AWAY!!!! :lol:

Too funny. Our hummers are leaving en masse now. Only an occasional one shows up at the feeders and that one is probably just passing through.

Just reading posts from friends and family from Kansas to the DFW area--very strong earthquake--5.6 according to the USGS--hit there early this morning. Epicenter in Pawnee County in northern Oklahoma. Friends in Wichita said they moved to the doorway and held on to ride it out--it was that strong and scary. Felt strongly in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and all the way into northern Kansas. Unprecedented.

One friend in Wichita who is a professional archeologist and does excavations in that area says she has found evidence of seismic events in ancient times--sand blown through artifacts, etc. (I would think tornado instead of earthquake, but she may see something I don't. . .) Anyhow now wondering if that area is the new New Madrid fault?

Just reading posts from friends and family from Kansas to the DFW area--very strong earthquake--5.6 according to the USGS--hit there early this morning. Epicenter in Pawnee County in northern Oklahoma. Friends in Wichita said they moved to the doorway and held on to ride it out--it was that strong and scary. Felt strongly in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and all the way into northern Kansas. Unprecedented.

One friend in Wichita who is a professional archeologist and does excavations in that area says she has found evidence of seismic events in ancient times--sand blown through artifacts, etc. (I would think tornado instead of earthquake, but she may see something I don't. . .) Anyhow now wondering if that area is the new New Madrid fault?
Carla_Danger is in Oklahoma, it woke her up and scared the shit out of her. If you've never been in one it can be scary.

But it really isn't fair. I have experienced violent storms, tornados, the edge of a hurricane, wild fires and forest fires, etc. but never an earthquake. We have been to California numerous times and I always hoped for just a little shaker--nothing big--just so I could say I had experienced an Earthquake. But no, nothing, any time we've been there. I've been through Oklahoma umpteen jillion times and have lived a lot of years in Texas and a lot of years in Kansas and nothing. Nary the slightest tremor. And now that I've left that area they have them all the time. I think I shall probably never experience that earthquake. Seriously I'm glad nobody was hurt or seriously damaged though.

Tornadoes, tsunami's, hurricanes...all that stuff is scarey, yes. But the solid foundation you stand on shaking the shit out of you and knocking your equilibrium off balance where you are dizzy as hell AND trying to hold on to something that won't suck you under...that, you don't want to experience.

But it really isn't fair. I have experienced violent storms, tornados, the edge of a hurricane, wild fires and forest fires, etc. but never an earthquake. We have been to California numerous times and I always hoped for just a little shaker--nothing big--just so I could say I had experienced an Earthquake. But no, nothing, any time we've been there. I've been through Oklahoma umpteen jillion times and have lived a lot of years in Texas and a lot of years in Kansas and nothing. Nary the slightest tremor. And now that I've left that area they have them all the time. I think I shall probably never experience that earthquake. Seriously I'm glad nobody was hurt or seriously damaged though.

I've been through exactly two earthquakes. One was in Pennsylvania and the other in Georgia. Go figure.

The one in Georgia, it sounded like the bar next door was suddenly playing very loud subwoofer music. Everybody in the hotel came out their door and we realized it was an earthquake. Tiny one, centered in South Carolina of all places.

Y'all ever watch Penny Dreadful? This show is AWESOME! Still on season 1. Dayum. I'm gonna be up til 2am. I just know it. :lol:

Sun finally came out today and I just got back from a quickie run at the beach with the furkids. Beautiful day today. Unfortunately, everyone else is enjoying it too and we had to scootch between groups of kayakers going from and to the beach. Lots of free roaming dogs too, but Moki handled it well and didn't growl or snap at any of them. :lol:

Forum List

Back