USMB Coffee Shop IV

I get up two or three times each night to pee. It's a phase of life we all go through, although when we are wee bairn, we just sleep right through it. But I am disappointed that during these wee hours of the morning excursions, I haven't got the call from Stockholm informing me of becoming a Noble laureate.

Do they award Noble prizes for tapping out little stories on internet message boards? They ought to. But, then again, I don't own a set of tails and white tie to wear to the glittering awards ceremony. I would have to get my passport updated and book a flight to Sweden, where I don't think I'd have much fun. Don't people tend to kill themselves there due to the constant darkness and gloom?

So there's an upside to not getting that call at 4:00 am. No wardrobe upgrades, no worrying about getting my passport in time, no concerns about wandering around the gloomy streets of Stockholm.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering what happened to our spectacular Autumn foliage. Usually, by the second week of October, the hardwood forests around these parts have transformed themselves from green and verdant to hues of gold and red and orange. But this year, the steep, forested ravines look just as they did in early September. Is this climate change or just an anomaly?

By now, neighborhoods are usually fragrant with the aroma of leaves either burning or decaying with a sweet odor. Leaf blowers are usually whining away or the scraping sound of leaf rakes being dragged across lawns add a staccato rythmic background to the radio broadcasts of football games.

I voted today as early voting here in Ohio has begun. So I don't have to pay attention to all the yard signs touting candidates for city council and county commissioners. On Election Day proper, I have to drive across the state to Findlay, Ohio to attend a work seminar. Findlay is clear across the state only about fifty miles from the exotic Ohio/Indiana state line. Out on what Pop called the "Great Billiard Table" country of western Ohio.

I wonder where kids go sled riding out there? Our part of the state offers up Olympian sized hills to slide down once we get six or seven inches of snow. But as Autumn seems to be late this year, our chances for sledding may not come until late February instead of late November.

I'll make sure to check the weather as I arise in the middle of the night to pee and check my answering machine, just in case.

I too wonder if truly profound writings that you see on message boards once in a blue moon are captured and preserved by anybody. Probably not. I am sometimes amazed when I run across a thread I started or a post I made months or even years ago with absolutely no recollection of having posted it. But I must have because there it is. And sometimes I am impressed by those posts. Sometimes not so much. :)

But I do think you should save your writings Nosmo and incoprorate them into your own anthology for your own family and friends if nobody else. You do have a flare for writing.

Hi!

Where is everybody?
:biggrin:
I have been opening birthday cards, running to the market, getting karma more dog food, changing the desk area around, helping Friend clean out the garage and in general staying busy on this 64th day of my birth. :lol:

img_0659.jpg

I've settled in to my classes now. I'm just about done with what I need to finish this week. The instruction is a bit jumbled in my opinion, I certainly don't find it as intuitive as I'd like, but I've gotten to what I needed so far. Of course this is just the first week, so there will be more work in successive weeks than this one.

The employer wants me to get a car so I can take the little one to her soccer and karate practices. I've never had a car as I've never had a license. I plan to get a license, I've actually done a little bit of driving practice recently, although not enough to be comfortable behind the wheel, but going from that to a half an hour drive there and back, three days a week, is a bit of a jump. Then there's the cost involved, between the car itself, gas, and insurance. My employer would take care of the insurance, but I don't have money to throw around, so I don't know how gas and possible maintenance costs would end up.

I have to actually go pass the driving exam first anyway, so I'll try not to stress about it for now. My employer has to drive home from work, pick myself and the little one up, and drive back out to her practices, though, and with the employer's new job, that's not fun for her. She actually mentioned the possibility of moving to the other side of town because of it.

I'll be out this weekend for one of my periodic social interactions. :)

Happy BD to Gracie, one of my favorite peeps! Foxy, I am seriously looking for a small patch to a HUGE hole in my life. If circumstances should so dictate, I would more than gladly transport any potential "plug". To the remaining CS denizens, my best wishes and hopes for continued health and prosperity.

We love Carly dearly which of course is why her owner entrusts her to us But should worse come to worse and her owner is no longer in a position to keep her, Hombre and I would have a decision to make. We live on a modest retirement income that provides all we need, but there is very little wiggle room for extraneous expenses. And you can't go to the vet here for anything under $100 and if there is any issues that have to be dealt with, you can have a $500 or more bill very quickly. But right now it's one day at a time. I do understand you looking for a replacement for your beloved companion, but would you want to take on a 10 year old dog? I would think you would want one younger.
Foxy, I would welcome a "senior" dog. They are calmer, house broken, and lots less hyper and in need of activity than younger animals. I am looking for a couch-sitter, drive in the car, sit on the lap type companion. I prefer smaller house companions, too. If things should so evolve, I'd be more than willing to help pay Carly's way. Hopefully, things won't become that desperate. Most of the dogs on offer here for adoption are either sled dogs or pit bull and pit bull crosses.

Happy BD to Gracie, one of my favorite peeps! Foxy, I am seriously looking for a small patch to a HUGE hole in my life. If circumstances should so dictate, I would more than gladly transport any potential "plug". To the remaining CS denizens, my best wishes and hopes for continued health and prosperity.

We love Carly dearly which of course is why her owner entrusts her to us But should worse come to worse and her owner is no longer in a position to keep her, Hombre and I would have a decision to make. We live on a modest retirement income that provides all we need, but there is very little wiggle room for extraneous expenses. And you can't go to the vet here for anything under $100 and if there is any issues that have to be dealt with, you can have a $500 or more bill very quickly. But right now it's one day at a time. I do understand you looking for a replacement for your beloved companion, but would you want to take on a 10 year old dog? I would think you would want one younger.
Foxy, I would welcome a "senior" dog. They are calmer, house broken, and lots less hyper and in need of activity than younger animals. I am looking for a couch-sitter, drive in the car, sit on the lap type companion. I prefer smaller house companions, too. If things should so evolve, I'd be more than willing to help pay Carly's way. Hopefully, things won't become that desperate. Most of the dogs on offer here for adoption are either sled dogs or pit bull and pit bull crosses.

Well I hope that Carly will grow old with friend Dana, but since she is on the critical list now for a hart transplant, the future is uncertain at this point. So we just love and help as we can and wait it out. But I am pretty sure you would make her a great companion if it came to that.

Today was Anniversary number 20, 22 on the unofficial count. I was going to relate how we came to be but it got too long so going to try condensed version.

Worked in same building, different co's. Wife commands male attn,,,,she just does, even today while we were out she was getting the up and down looks. I eyed her couple of yrs but had no intention of asking her out because she was attached, much younger, and ran with very different crowd. She knew I was eyeing her so when her boyfriend punched on her I got the midnight rescue ride call. Fuse lit. No putting it out. So out of the blue and improbable if I wasnt living it I'd call myself a liar.

Today was Anniversary number 20, 22 on the unofficial count. I was going to relate how we came to be but it got too long so going to try condensed version.

Worked in same building, different co's. Wife commands male attn,,,,she just does, even today while we were out she was getting the up and down looks. I eyed her couple of yrs but had no intention of asking her out because she was attached, much younger, and ran with very different crowd. She knew I was eyeing her so when her boyfriend punched on her I got the midnight rescue ride call. Fuse lit. No putting it out. So out of the blue and improbable if I wasnt living it I'd call myself a liar.

Happy Anniversary MOTS. And I hope you are still living the improbable but wonderful for the next 20 years and far beyond.

Happy Birthday Navy !

navy-birthday-.jpg

Yes indeed. I have several family members and friends who served in the Navy. I was teaching a class one time and commented on a person who had accomplished great things but his colleagues never could convince him to stop swearing like a sailor. One very elderly and stately lady approached me after class and advised me that her late husband was a 30-year navy man and never said a swear word in his life and I should not use that phrase. :)

Navy_Cake.JPG

Well my husband is Ret. Navy and he swears but not very often. When he does you know something is serious.
He still to this day has the Navy walk. :biggrin:

Wednesday is a busy night at Doc Holliday's with 20 or 25 poker players coming in from 6 til about 10 and Karaoke starting about 8, you really never know who might show up.
I FINALLY got to say it last night: Elvis is in the building!

Elvis.jpg

The frustration of download your resume, when they really mean convert to PDF first. :(

Job offers should be rolling in any minute now...any minute...stooped computer. :lol:

Forum List

Back