USMB Coffee Shop IV

No difference for us except we won't get any mail today. Our friend may get out of the hospital today and we'll deliver our semi-resident mini doxie back to her, but otherwise we'll have an uneventful day most likely.

But good morning everybody. A beautiful bright blue October day in New Mexico--mid 70's to maybe even 80 during the day, low 50's and high 40's at night. Probably our last warmish week though--unusually warm for this time of year for us.
Well, if that mini-doxie ever needs a new home, I have a vacancy. I miss my Uschi.

Today is my first day of class. My financial aid also went through, it was as the one woman said, about $700 of the about $900 tuition and fees. That doesn't count the close to $200 for 3 books. So it will end up being about $400 out of pocket for the semester.

I already hate it. It's pretty much worthless crap, I will almost certainly never use any of this in the future. It's not even related to health care, just the basic stuff you get in any degree. I knew I'd have to do this kind of thing, but it still annoys the hell out of me. Learning how to effectively read, a lot of which is by not actually reading.

I'm also having some issues with Word. There are instructions from one class on setting up Word. However, those instructions are for 2007 or 2010 Word. I'm using an online version of Word through the school that I believe is a 2016 version. Even there, it may not have all the normal features, but downloading and running it from the PC is not an available option. I'll have to see if I can use Libre office or something similar.

It's been a frustrating day so far and, I expect, that will probably continue. I can't say I'm confident about how this will go, I already want to break things. Things like this do nothing but reinforce my pessimism. :p
What they charge for books is atrocious! I cannot believe what my students spend for books. Fortunately, some of the books required are government publications and are available for nominal fees or are free online.

As for what I am doing--trying to get some housework done--worrying about Dana who is not doing well and I'm afraid they'll give in to her demands to be discharged from the hospital before she is ready--worrying about my 90-yr-old Aunt Betty still dealing with the reality of Uncle Ed's passing and also worrying about Dana--getting pressure from church and classmates to get some mailing out--having company on Thursday so really need to finish the housework, and the mini doxie Carly is whining constantly because Hombre went to do his volunteer job. I'm a bit stressed today.
If you find yourself custodians of a mini doxie, remember me. I am looking for such a critter. I miss my doxie...a lot!

Hi!

Where is everybody?
:biggrin:
I have been opening birthday cards, running to the market, getting karma more dog food, changing the desk area around, helping Friend clean out the garage and in general staying busy on this 64th day of my birth. :lol:
Happy belated BD, Gracie. You know my thoughts are always with you!

Happy BD to Gracie, one of my favorite peeps! Foxy, I am seriously looking for a small patch to a HUGE hole in my life. If circumstances should so dictate, I would more than gladly transport any potential "plug". To the remaining CS denizens, my best wishes and hopes for continued health and prosperity.

Happy BD to Gracie, one of my favorite peeps! Foxy, I am seriously looking for a small patch to a HUGE hole in my life. If circumstances should so dictate, I would more than gladly transport any potential "plug". To the remaining CS denizens, my best wishes and hopes for continued health and prosperity.

We love Carly dearly which of course is why her owner entrusts her to us But should worse come to worse and her owner is no longer in a position to keep her, Hombre and I would have a decision to make. We live on a modest retirement income that provides all we need, but there is very little wiggle room for extraneous expenses. And you can't go to the vet here for anything under $100 and if there is any issues that have to be dealt with, you can have a $500 or more bill very quickly. But right now it's one day at a time. I do understand you looking for a replacement for your beloved companion, but would you want to take on a 10 year old dog? I would think you would want one younger.

funny-demotivated-9.jpg

Hi!

Where is everybody?
:biggrin:
I have been opening birthday cards, running to the market, getting karma more dog food, changing the desk area around, helping Friend clean out the garage and in general staying busy on this 64th day of my birth. :lol:

Happy Birthday !

I also turned 64 last month.
Kids!

Hey !! Just because most 10 and 11 year old kids are taller than me , doesn't mean I am one.
I also wasn't the one half bubbling at the farm either. :biggrin:

Last edited:
It has been a revelation to me and probably to a lot of us who are getting longer in the tooth year by year. When I was in my 20's, 30's 40's I couldn't imagine what it would feel like to be my age now. For sure the body doesn't have the elasticity and stamina it once had and that is frustrating. Also frustrating is the view of me by the much younger that I couldn't possibly know, couldn't possibly fully understand, couldn't possibly be capable--I suppose as I viewed the 'elderly' when I was much younger.

But it is interesting to me that my brain, though more experienced, is just as sharp--I am very grateful for that--and that I love just as deeply and care just as passionately and hope and anticipate good things with the same childish joy I did as a kid. The only difference is that there isn't so much of an emotional roller coaster of extreme highs and extreme lows that the younger deal with and that too is a blessing. All this came as something of a surprise to me.

"Old age", however one defines it, is not for sissies. But it does have some redeeming qualities.

It has been a revelation to me and probably to a lot of us who are getting longer in the tooth year by year. When I was in my 20's, 30's 40's I couldn't imagine what it would feel like to be my age now. For sure the body doesn't have the elasticity and stamina it once had and that is frustrating. Also frustrating is the view of me by the much younger that I couldn't possibly know, couldn't possibly fully understand, couldn't possibly be capable--I suppose as I viewed the 'elderly' when I was much younger.

But it is interesting to me that my brain, though more experienced, is just as sharp--I am very grateful for that--and that I love just as deeply and care just as passionately and hope and anticipate good things with the same childish joy I did as a kid. The only difference is that there isn't so much of an emotional roller coaster of extreme highs and extreme lows that the younger deal with and that too is a blessing. All this came as something of a surprise to me.

"Old age", however one defines it, is not for sissies. But it does have some redeeming qualities.
Oh how true.

I am very happy to be getting silver grey streaks in my hair, rather than the white grey. It sparkles in the Sun. (aka)- oooh... Shiny!! :lmao:
I had a girlfriend in the 80's who had long black hair that had silver streaks in it and I thought it looked so beautiful.
There is much to be thankful for, getting older and wiser !
Just like anything else it has it's pros and cons.

Last edited:
I'm part Irish so I really like the old celtic songs.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=haWslirMia0

Your link took me to a lot more links but no music, Peach.

I am more Scottish and Austrian/German than Irish, but I also love celtic music. "Dancing With the Stars" opened Monday night with a beautifully choreographed number to an instrumental version of the "Titanic" theme heavy on the celtic flute and violin. I was absolutely mezmerized. Not only was the movie beautifully staged and directed, but the sound track is one of very favorites.

Last edited:
I get up two or three times each night to pee. It's a phase of life we all go through, although when we are wee bairn, we just sleep right through it. But I am disappointed that during these wee hours of the morning excursions, I haven't got the call from Stockholm informing me of becoming a Noble laureate.

Do they award Noble prizes for tapping out little stories on internet message boards? They ought to. But, then again, I don't own a set of tails and white tie to wear to the glittering awards ceremony. I would have to get my passport updated and book a flight to Sweden, where I don't think I'd have much fun. Don't people tend to kill themselves there due to the constant darkness and gloom?

So there's an upside to not getting that call at 4:00 am. No wardrobe upgrades, no worrying about getting my passport in time, no concerns about wandering around the gloomy streets of Stockholm.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering what happened to our spectacular Autumn foliage. Usually, by the second week of October, the hardwood forests around these parts have transformed themselves from green and verdant to hues of gold and red and orange. But this year, the steep, forested ravines look just as they did in early September. Is this climate change or just an anomaly?

By now, neighborhoods are usually fragrant with the aroma of leaves either burning or decaying with a sweet odor. Leaf blowers are usually whining away or the scraping sound of leaf rakes being dragged across lawns add a staccato rythmic background to the radio broadcasts of football games.

I voted today as early voting here in Ohio has begun. So I don't have to pay attention to all the yard signs touting candidates for city council and county commissioners. On Election Day proper, I have to drive across the state to Findlay, Ohio to attend a work seminar. Findlay is clear across the state only about fifty miles from the exotic Ohio/Indiana state line. Out on what Pop called the "Great Billiard Table" country of western Ohio.

I wonder where kids go sled riding out there? Our part of the state offers up Olympian sized hills to slide down once we get six or seven inches of snow. But as Autumn seems to be late this year, our chances for sledding may not come until late February instead of late November.

I'll make sure to check the weather as I arise in the middle of the night to pee and check my answering machine, just in case.

I'm part Irish so I really like the old celtic songs.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=haWslirMia0

Your link took me to a lot more links but no music, Peach.

I am more Scottish and Austrian/German than Irish, but I also love celtic music. "Dancing With the Stars" opened Monday night with a beautifully choreographed number to an instrumental version of the "Titanic" theme heavy on the celtic flute and violin. I was absolutely mezmerized. Not only was the movie beautifully staged and directed, but the sound track is one of very favorites.

It could be because I posted wrong from my tablet.
Sorry !

Forum List

Back