USMB Coffee Shop IV

I've been noticing more and more lately, that I'll have entire conversations with my dad about something, and the next day, or days later, he'll ask me the same exact question that kicked off that conversation we already had.

And he's completely oblivious to it, every time. :(

So sorry Sixfoot. It sometimes happens to those getting older. But do call it to the attention of his doctor because there are sometimes medical means of improving things.

He won't be my first patient suffering from Alzheimer's, but he will be the worst. It figures too, since we just recently started building a relationship.

Oh well, I've inhaled enough aluminum dust that I prolly won't remember this for very long either...

There is another possibility? Is he a heavy drinker or drug user? Or on heavy narcotic pain meds? Or a closet drinker/drug user? I have a beloved relative who is not yet "old" however we define that who is exhibiting the same symptoms. We will have a detailed conversation one day and this person will not recall it the next. This kind of 'black out' is not all that uncommon among the addicted and it is not always completely obvious that the person has been drinking/using at the time.

Were you in the medical profession before you retired?

No heavy alcohol use, just the occasional bottle or so of my home made apple wine when he visits and we get to cooking some amazing ethnic foods. And he's probably the only person I've ever met who I believe when they say they've never so much as smoked a joint.

He is, however, in his 60's now, and my grandma either has it also, or it's just her last year on earth. She's in and out of reality. I used to be an EMT way back in the day, and my job involved transporting the elderly and disabled to their appointments. Many many experiences with people during all stages of Alzheimer's.

I was just about to say how funny your new avi is, but then I realized that may not be appropriate given the post you made. Sorry about your dad. :(

I've been noticing more and more lately, that I'll have entire conversations with my dad about something, and the next day, or days later, he'll ask me the same exact question that kicked off that conversation we already had.

And he's completely oblivious to it, every time. :(

So sorry Sixfoot. It sometimes happens to those getting older. But do call it to the attention of his doctor because there are sometimes medical means of improving things.

He won't be my first patient suffering from Alzheimer's, but he will be the worst. It figures too, since we just recently started building a relationship.

Oh well, I've inhaled enough aluminum dust that I prolly won't remember this for very long either...

There is another possibility? Is he a heavy drinker or drug user? Or on heavy narcotic pain meds? Or a closet drinker/drug user? I have a beloved relative who is not yet "old" however we define that who is exhibiting the same symptoms. We will have a detailed conversation one day and this person will not recall it the next. This kind of 'black out' is not all that uncommon among the addicted and it is not always completely obvious that the person has been drinking/using at the time.

No heavy alcohol use, just the occasional bottle or so of my home made apple wine when he visits and we get to cooking some amazing ethnic foods. And he's probably the only person I've ever met who I believe when they say they've never so much as smoked a joint.

He is, however, in his 60's now, and my grandma either has it also, or it's just her last year on earth. She's in and out of reality. I used to be an EMT way back in the day, and my job involved transporting the elderly and disabled to their appointments. Many many experiences with people during all stages of Alzheimer's.

I was just about to say how funny your new avi is, but then I realized that may not be appropriate given the post you made. Sorry about your dad. :(

:smiliehug:

There's nothing better to lift one's spirits than some classic Mike Tython memeth.

802c4530d8eb1b08c360f8832a49c68d.jpg

Oh crap! I think my email is under attack. I use outlook express and I have tried several times to get my messages. It says its downloading 286 messages but nothing happens. I have waited several minutes but nothing downloads. . I have never had more than a couple of messages at any one time so I figure someone is bombing me.

SFC Ollie is a very fine man and I am sure that his wife is equally as nice. So sorry for the situation. They are both in my thoughts and prayers.

:smiliehug:

There's nothing better to lift one's spirits than some classic Mike Tython memeth.

802c4530d8eb1b08c360f8832a49c68d.jpg

I was so surprised the first time I heard him speak. :lol:

Squirrels!?! They are thick as Donald Trump's hair in Thompson Park! Daisy has been having the runs of a lifetime, chasing the Brown and Black squirrels back up into the trees where they belong! The Great White Hunter snaps a bead on a squirrel or a chipmunk and as they say at the Pittsburgh Penguins games, "Katy! Bar the door!"

She gets the squirrel up the tree then she dances on her hind legs around the base of the trunk. Meanwhile, Rocky is scampering around the trunk, but only three feet off the ground. He hangs there, spiraling around the tree trunk chattering away like a gossip in a beauty parlor.

Where I went to school, Columbus, Ohio the campus was clogged with students and gray squirrels. My brother went to Kent State University where all the campus squirrels are black. Here they are light brown with a gold or white belly. The residents of the building my office is located have been feeding a squirrel out on the lawn. The damn thing I said the size of a loaf of bread!
I had a garden apartment once in a city neighborhood with LOTS of gray squirrels. I bought the bestest anti-squirrel bird feeder available, with a weight-sensitive perch. Heavy birds and critters like squirrels would close the opening if they got on the perch. So the squirrels figured out they could climb up the side of the house and bat the feeder back and forth so seed would spill onto the ground.
My next move was to offer squirrels their own goodies in hopes they'd leave the bird feeder alone. I hung a squirrel feeder in a tree as far from the feeder as possible and put dried corn cobs on it. For a day or two, it had plenty of traffic while squirrels nibbled the corn off the cob. Then I watched as a squirrel dragged the entire cob across the road, spike and all. Finally,
I just bought extra bird seed.
You should look into some of the various catapult bird feeders. If nothing else, they're funny as hell.

Squirrels!?! They are thick as Donald Trump's hair in Thompson Park! Daisy has been having the runs of a lifetime, chasing the Brown and Black squirrels back up into the trees where they belong! The Great White Hunter snaps a bead on a squirrel or a chipmunk and as they say at the Pittsburgh Penguins games, "Katy! Bar the door!"

She gets the squirrel up the tree then she dances on her hind legs around the base of the trunk. Meanwhile, Rocky is scampering around the trunk, but only three feet off the ground. He hangs there, spiraling around the tree trunk chattering away like a gossip in a beauty parlor.

Where I went to school, Columbus, Ohio the campus was clogged with students and gray squirrels. My brother went to Kent State University where all the campus squirrels are black. Here they are light brown with a gold or white belly. The residents of the building my office is located have been feeding a squirrel out on the lawn. The damn thing I said the size of a loaf of bread!
I had a garden apartment once in a city neighborhood with LOTS of gray squirrels. I bought the bestest anti-squirrel bird feeder available, with a weight-sensitive perch. Heavy birds and critters like squirrels would close the opening if they got on the perch. So the squirrels figured out they could climb up the side of the house and bat the feeder back and forth so seed would spill onto the ground.
My next move was to offer squirrels their own goodies in hopes they'd leave the bird feeder alone. I hung a squirrel feeder in a tree as far from the feeder as possible and put dried corn cobs on it. For a day or two, it had plenty of traffic while squirrels nibbled the corn off the cob. Then I watched as a squirrel dragged the entire cob across the road, spike and all. Finally,

LOL. Ditto for us up on the mountain. It was just simpler.

You aren't in Great Britain are you? I once watched a mini documentary of a British lady who was committed to devising a way to feed the birds and foil the squirrel. She built one after another elaborate systems that would deter the squirrel for a few hours, but sooner or later he would figure it out. I think in the animal kingdom they must be among the more brilliant of creatures.
We do get pretty zany about feeding the birds, don't we? My mom had it in her head that she only wanted to feed the little birds. She'd be rapping on the window and shooing off blue jays and doves. Only wanted the chickadees and wrens.
We don't seem to have a lot of grey squirrels around my house. Something must be eating them.
I still remember the year I set up a bird feeding station for ravens and eagles. I put the bones and offal from a moose I shot out in the front yard. We had hours of entertainment watching the birds feed...oh, wait...Alaska is different. Sowwy!

So, so sorry about Mrs. Ollie. To Ollie and his family, I hope you are all able to give each other the support this loss will require. You have always been one of the people I respect so much here, in the "blogo-sphere". Best wishes to you and yours, and a peaceful passing for Mrs. Ollie.

I'm winding up a few days with my SIL. He had a couple of days off between schools (military) and came up here. He's spent some time with his mother, but he was (diplomatically) pleased to come up to the cabin and hang out, shoot rifles, play cribbage, and...well, drink a bit of filtered water. I'll be taking him with me to work tonight for a "ride along" until it is time to drop him off to catch his flight South. I have gained some greater understanding of how modern soldiers view their jobs and their world. The SIL even got along with my partner. They aren't that much different, they just never took the time to communicate before.
Winter is here in full force. We had our first snowfall last week and it's been a tittybitnipply outside. I'm currently trying to convince myself that I really do need to drag my butt outside and get the chores done. Oh, well, there is no one else, is there.
Best to all of you, special thoughts for Ollie.

LOL. Ditto for us up on the mountain. It was just simpler.

You aren't in Great Britain are you? I once watched a mini documentary of a British lady who was committed to devising a way to feed the birds and foil the squirrel. She built one after another elaborate systems that would deter the squirrel for a few hours, but sooner or later he would figure it out. I think in the animal kingdom they must be among the more brilliant of creatures.
We do get pretty zany about feeding the birds, don't we? My mom had it in her head that she only wanted to feed the little birds. She'd be rapping on the window and shooing off blue jays and doves. Only wanted the chickadees and wrens.
We don't seem to have a lot of grey squirrels around my house. Something must be eating them.
I still remember the year I set up a bird feeding station for ravens and eagles. I put the bones and offal from a moose I shot out in the front yard. We had hours of entertainment watching the birds feed...oh, wait...Alaska is different. Sowwy!

LOL. Yes, the neighbors get pretty upset when we shoot moose around here, even to feed to the birds. :)

Oh crap! I think my email is under attack. I use outlook express and I have tried several times to get my messages. It says its downloading 286 messages but nothing happens. I have waited several minutes but nothing downloads. . I have never had more than a couple of messages at any one time so I figure someone is bombing me.
Outlook Express? It's no longer being supported by Microsoft, no updates, no fixes and almost no help from M$ for it, that means it's highly vulnerable to attack.
If you don't want Google or even Thunderbird (Thunderbird isn't web based email, it sits on your computer like Express does) then you need to set up a Windows Live Mail account and transfer your Outlook Express account over.
Windows Live is a web based email client.

If you prefer a local client (Thunderbird);

Thunderbird — Software made to make email easier.

How to sigh up with Windows Live Email;

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-f99c95f2bd16/sign-up-for-a-microsoft-account

I'm winding up a few days with my SIL. He had a couple of days off between schools (military) and came up here. He's spent some time with his mother, but he was (diplomatically) pleased to come up to the cabin and hang out, shoot rifles, play cribbage, and...well, drink a bit of filtered water. I'll be taking him with me to work tonight for a "ride along" until it is time to drop him off to catch his flight South. I have gained some greater understanding of how modern soldiers view their jobs and their world. The SIL even got along with my partner. They aren't that much different, they just never took the time to communicate before.
Winter is here in full force. We had our first snowfall last week and it's been a tittybitnipply outside. I'm currently trying to convince myself that I really do need to drag my butt outside and get the chores done. Oh, well, there is no one else, is there.
Best to all of you, special thoughts for Ollie.

Maybe Alaska is in for a fairly normal winter this year? I'm afraid we in the southwest are not as it is just not cooling down this year like it is supposed to.

My ex, (the one I like) sent me a photo today of snow on the ground up her way in Connecticut. Just a little bit, but she hated when I sent her a link to Weather Underground showing the temp here was 81.

Just had crock pot beef stew with made from scratch biscuits.......... It was really, really bad for us but it was really, really good....... :thup:

Forum List

Back