USMB Coffee Shop IV

By the way, those biscuits I made are the best I've ever made, the lightest and most flaky, the only two things I did different was not use a mix (like Bisquick or Pioneer Brand) and instead of shortening I used lard. Researching lard gives some mixed heath results but in most scientific studies it appears to be better for us than using shortening and lard is cheaper.
My grandma refused to use anything but lard in her piecrusts and biscuits, and there is a real difference. Crisco is probably much worse for you!

By the way, those biscuits I made are the best I've ever made, the lightest and most flaky, the only two things I did different was not use a mix (like Bisquick or Pioneer Brand) and instead of shortening I used lard. Researching lard gives some mixed heath results but in most scientific studies it appears to be better for us than using shortening and lard is cheaper.
My grandma refused to use anything but lard in her piecrusts and biscuits, and there is a real difference. Crisco is probably much worse for you!

My grandmother used to make biscuits and always used lard and buttermilk when making them. They were the best biscuits I have ever consumed. They were so light that when she put them on the table in the biscuit basket she had to put a brick on top of them to keep them from floating up to the ceiling!

My grandmother used to make biscuits and always used lard and buttermilk when making them. They were the best biscuits I have ever consumed. They were so light that when she put them on the table in the biscuit basket she had to put a brick on top of them to keep them from floating up to the ceiling!

Yes. That would be in the day in which buttermilk was a staple in almost all kitchens. You rarely ever see it in modern kitchens. I'm not even sure whether our local supermarket even carries it.

On the rare occasion I need buttermilk for a recipe, I just make my own adding a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk. It serves the purpose but it really isn't the same.

Yes. That would be in the day in which buttermilk was a staple in almost all kitchens. You rarely ever see it in modern kitchens. I'm not even sure whether our local supermarket even carries it.

On the rare occasion I need buttermilk for a recipe, I just make my own adding a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk. It serves the purpose but it really isn't the same.

Buttermilk comes from a very special kind of cow. There aren't a whole lot of them left in the US and as a result, the stocks of buttermilk is very low.

Buttermilk comes from a very special kind of cow. There aren't a whole lot of them left in the US and as a result, the stocks of buttermilk is very low.
Shaken not stirred........

Albertsons carries it as does Wally World, scan the dairy section carefully and you'll see it hidden in a single row.

Albertsons carries it as does Wally World, scan the dairy section carefully and you'll see it hidden in a single row.
They should sell it by the pint instead of the quart and half gallon, since I don't know anyone who drinks it anymore. You use a cup or so in a recipe and then it goes raunchy in the back of the fridge.

Oh they probably do, but I don't use it often enough to merit buying even a single quart.

Oh they probably do, but I don't use it often enough to merit buying even a single quart.
Unfortunately the smallest they sell (in my experience) are half gallon sizes, too much for normal modern usage.

You can also mix 1/4 cup whole milk with 3/4 plain yogurt to make a thick buttermilk substitute.

You can also mix 1/4 cup whole milk with 3/4 plain yogurt to make a thick buttermilk substitute.

That's good to know though I rarely have plain yogurt on hand either.

upload_2016-10-28_20-28-19.png

The person on the vigil list named Harper.

View attachment 95660

The person on the vigil list named Harper.

She is so beautiful Save. I know she's special to you.

My ex wife sent that to me today. She babysits on Fridays and we usually get a picture or two. Two Thursdays back I showed up to babysit and was greeted with a run and jump on me. Harper wrapped her arms around my neck and legs around my waist. We played for a few hours and ate dinner, but the greeting is always the best part.

Forum List

Back