USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'm watching the ones on Free Form channel.
Right now Dark Shadows is on - The one with Jonny Depp.
I never saw it till now. I was to hooked on the soap opera in the sixties. I really liked that Barnabas. :)
This 2012 one is very funny at times, but I still like the original soap.
What can I say other than jeez, young teenageer. :p

Well gotta go and start to get ready for the VFW Halloween party this evening.
I'm going as a spider queen, long blonde wig past my butt and black dress with lace spider webs and black velvet stilettos that I'm sure my feet will regreat by tomorrow. Good thing we have a Jacuzzi tub. :)

Hubby is going as a Zombie. He has that Zombie walk and hunch down perfect. His costume looks great.
Tell you all more on Monday who Won 1st price this year.

Tree closest to the house and a second one that I had to fell parallel to the house both down safely and cut up into proper size pieces. The last one leans toward the neighbor's house, but a cable and wedge should provide enough support to drop where I want it. That job was pushed back to next weekend.

I'm watching the ones on Free Form channel.
Right now Dark Shadows is on - The one with Jonny Depp.
I never saw it till now. I was to hooked on the soap opera in the sixties. I really liked that Barnabas. :)
This 2012 one is very funny at times, but I still like the original soap.
What can I say other than jeez, young teenageer. :p

Well gotta go and start to get ready for the VFW Halloween party this evening.
I'm going as a spider queen, long blonde wig past my butt and black dress with lace spider webs and black velvet stilettos that I'm sure my feet will regreat by tomorrow. Good thing we have a Jacuzzi tub. :)

Hubby is going as a Zombie. He has that Zombie walk and hunch down perfect. His costume looks great.
Tell you all more on Monday who Won 1st price this year.

From your description, it should be you two. Have a great time. And I want a full report. :)

Last edited:
Squirrels!?! They are thick as Donald Trump's hair in Thompson Park! Daisy has been having the runs of a lifetime, chasing the Brown and Black squirrels back up into the trees where they belong! The Great White Hunter snaps a bead on a squirrel or a chipmunk and as they say at the Pittsburgh Penguins games, "Katy! Bar the door!"

She gets the squirrel up the tree then she dances on her hind legs around the base of the trunk. Meanwhile, Rocky is scampering around the trunk, but only three feet off the ground. He hangs there, spiraling around the tree trunk chattering away like a gossip in a beauty parlor.

Where I went to school, Columbus, Ohio the campus was clogged with students and gray squirrels. My brother went to Kent State University where all the campus squirrels are black. Here they are light brown with a gold or white belly. The residents of the building my office is located have been feeding a squirrel out on the lawn. The damn thing I said the size of a loaf of bread!
I had a garden apartment once in a city neighborhood with LOTS of gray squirrels. I bought the bestest anti-squirrel bird feeder available, with a weight-sensitive perch. Heavy birds and critters like squirrels would close the opening if they got on the perch. So the squirrels figured out they could climb up the side of the house and bat the feeder back and forth so seed would spill onto the ground.
My next move was to offer squirrels their own goodies in hopes they'd leave the bird feeder alone. I hung a squirrel feeder in a tree as far from the feeder as possible and put dried corn cobs on it. For a day or two, it had plenty of traffic while squirrels nibbled the corn off the cob. Then I watched as a squirrel dragged the entire cob across the road, spike and all. Finally,
I just bought extra bird seed.

LOL. Ditto for us up on the mountain. It was just simpler.

You aren't in Great Britain are you? I once watched a mini documentary of a British lady who was committed to devising a way to feed the birds and foil the squirrel. She built one after another elaborate systems that would deter the squirrel for a few hours, but sooner or later he would figure it out. I think in the animal kingdom they must be among the more brilliant of creatures.
We do get pretty zany about feeding the birds, don't we? My mom had it in her head that she only wanted to feed the little birds. She'd be rapping on the window and shooing off blue jays and doves. Only wanted the chickadees and wrens.
We don't seem to have a lot of grey squirrels around my house. Something must be eating them.
I still remember the year I set up a bird feeding station for ravens and eagles. I put the bones and offal from a moose I shot out in the front yard. We had hours of entertainment watching the birds feed...oh, wait...Alaska is different. Sowwy!
Not different at all. Moose and eagles and hawks share our space here, too. Did the eagles share? I was recently surprised to see two eagles eating a dead critter that had been hit on the side of the road. It occurred to me I'd never seen two feeding together. Maybe one was a juvenile.
Eagles do indeed feed in groups, they are actually scavengers. I have also seen ravens drive the eagles off of a "feeder". I thought it would be a more efficient use of things that would otherwise be wasted. And, it was cheap entertainment for the cats. All of them were perched in the upstairs windows, chittering like they do when they see a sparrow. It was challenging not to let them out to find out just what they were challenging.

By the way, those biscuits I made are the best I've ever made, the lightest and most flaky, the only two things I did different was not use a mix (like Bisquick or Pioneer Brand) and instead of shortening I used lard. Researching lard gives some mixed heath results but in most scientific studies it appears to be better for us than using shortening and lard is cheaper.
My experience: the only way to get a light, flaky pie crust is to use lard. I made a batch of biscuits using coconut oil this past week. Other than the taste, they did turn out pretty good.

I had a garden apartment once in a city neighborhood with LOTS of gray squirrels. I bought the bestest anti-squirrel bird feeder available, with a weight-sensitive perch. Heavy birds and critters like squirrels would close the opening if they got on the perch. So the squirrels figured out they could climb up the side of the house and bat the feeder back and forth so seed would spill onto the ground.
My next move was to offer squirrels their own goodies in hopes they'd leave the bird feeder alone. I hung a squirrel feeder in a tree as far from the feeder as possible and put dried corn cobs on it. For a day or two, it had plenty of traffic while squirrels nibbled the corn off the cob. Then I watched as a squirrel dragged the entire cob across the road, spike and all. Finally,
I just bought extra bird seed.

You aren't in Great Britain are you? I once watched a mini documentary of a British lady who was committed to devising a way to feed the birds and foil the squirrel. She built one after another elaborate systems that would deter the squirrel for a few hours, but sooner or later he would figure it out. I think in the animal kingdom they must be among the more brilliant of creatures.
We do get pretty zany about feeding the birds, don't we? My mom had it in her head that she only wanted to feed the little birds. She'd be rapping on the window and shooing off blue jays and doves. Only wanted the chickadees and wrens.
We don't seem to have a lot of grey squirrels around my house. Something must be eating them.
I still remember the year I set up a bird feeding station for ravens and eagles. I put the bones and offal from a moose I shot out in the front yard. We had hours of entertainment watching the birds feed...oh, wait...Alaska is different. Sowwy!
Not different at all. Moose and eagles and hawks share our space here, too. Did the eagles share? I was recently surprised to see two eagles eating a dead critter that had been hit on the side of the road. It occurred to me I'd never seen two feeding together. Maybe one was a juvenile.

`I don't know. We had golden eagles up on the mountain and they traveled in inseparable pairs--I presume mates. They did not visit our feeders or suet stations though, at least I didn't see them if they did. But it was funny sometimes when we would not bother to go down the deck steps to the feeders, we would sometimes just put the crumbs and scraps on the back of the deck. We would have a pretty good collections of grosbeaks, jays, doves, etc. out there when the shadow of the golden eagle passed over the deck. And in unison all those birds flattened themselves on the deck for a bit--trying to become invisible to the hunters.
Eagles would not bother wit typical bird feeders, Foxy. But toss an animal carcass into your yard and you'd see some action...

`I don't know. We had golden eagles up on the mountain and they traveled in inseparable pairs--I presume mates. They did not visit our feeders or suet stations though, at least I didn't see them if they did. But it was funny sometimes when we would not bother to go down the deck steps to the feeders, we would sometimes just put the crumbs and scraps on the back of the deck. We would have a pretty good collections of grosbeaks, jays, doves, etc. out there when the shadow of the golden eagle passed over the deck. And in unison all those birds flattened themselves on the deck for a bit--trying to become invisible to the hunters.
Eagles would not bother wit typical bird feeders, Foxy. But toss an animal carcass into your yard and you'd see some action...

I'm sure you're right. I'm also sure I'm going to trust your expertise in the matter and won't be doing that. :)

By the way, those biscuits I made are the best I've ever made, the lightest and most flaky, the only two things I did different was not use a mix (like Bisquick or Pioneer Brand) and instead of shortening I used lard. Researching lard gives some mixed heath results but in most scientific studies it appears to be better for us than using shortening and lard is cheaper.
My experience: the only way to get a light, flaky pie crust is to use lard. I made a batch of biscuits using coconut oil this past week. Other than the taste, they did turn out pretty good.

They didn't taste good? I have found coconut oil adds much taste to food but then I haven't used it in baking either.

They didn't taste good? I have found coconut oil adds much taste to food but then I haven't used it in baking either.
I didn't say they tasted bad, they were different, though. I've been using coconut oil for lots of things, so I'm used to it, but my SIL was curious. I've baked with it, fried with it, and made mayonnaise with coconut oil, among other things. All were quite tasty, just different when one is not accustomed.

My afternoon involves dropping three trees without hitting other trees or a house. The Birch is touching the roof of the house. The others need to go specific spots or bad things happen. Talking within three feet one way or the other. The area doesn't lend itself to a bucket truck or any heavier equipment. Hoping brains and some brawn applied at the right time win the day.
We've been clearing trees around the cabin and outbuildings all this summer. We use cables and wedges to direct their fall. Since we found Ho-zilla, removing the stumps has been less of a chore, too. And, we just shovel a load of topsoil into the resulting craters to fill them back up. Now, we have to figure out what to do with all those stumps and roots.

My afternoon involves dropping three trees without hitting other trees or a house. The Birch is touching the roof of the house. The others need to go specific spots or bad things happen. Talking within three feet one way or the other. The area doesn't lend itself to a bucket truck or any heavier equipment. Hoping brains and some brawn applied at the right time win the day.
tree-falling-on-house-o.gif

I guess as long as he missed the Ferrari on the left it is all good.
At least he only got the porch, there's one I was trying to copy and paste but it's a downloadable jpeg so no.........

Here's the page though, first image.......

cut tree hits house - Google Search

My browsers sometimes lets me copy those photos and the USMB software allows me to just paste them without entering them as a jpg or whatever.

0cfcabc.jpg

And yeah, whoever cut that tree will have some splaining to do.
There are times when I am pleased that my partner started his professional life cutting timber in CA, AK, and ID. He's damned good at it, too. My job has been to work the chain saw and render his efforts into stove-sized chunks since he's on the injured list since March.

We've been clearing trees around the cabin and outbuildings all this summer. We use cables and wedges to direct their fall. Since we found Ho-zilla, removing the stumps has been less of a chore, too. And, we just shovel a load of topsoil into the resulting craters to fill them back up. Now, we have to figure out what to do with all those stumps and roots.

They don't make good firewood?

They don't make good firewood?
We cut the stumps as short as we can, but roots aren't the best firewood. Most likely, we'll burn the "slash" after sufficient snow cover is available to prevent fire spreading.

Forum List

Back