USMB Coffee Shop IV

Let's see if I can post a short video from the Halloween party last night. We had some great costumes. I even found myself captivated by a witch, but no one was as awesome as the 9 foot man. He actually came in in the afternoon to check our ceilings before putting on the costume. /

How fun Ernie. Docs must really be a special place.

And there was happy dance at the Foxfyre house. Cubs won. Cowboys won.

And today:

Funny-Halloween-Pumpkins-2560x1600.jpg

Last edited:
Let's see if I can post a short video from the Halloween party last night. We had some great costumes. I even found myself captivated by a witch, but no one was as awesome as the 9 foot man. He actually came in in the afternoon to check our ceilings before putting on the costume. /

It looks like you all had as much fun as our crowd had. :)

From ghoulies and ghosties / And long-leggedy beasties / And things that go bump in the night, / Good Lord, deliver us!

Or so says the poet. Tonight from 6:00 to 7:30, the beasties will prowl the neighborhood. All things are ready here, even if they do go bump in the night. The grounds around Pimplebutt are manicured, the Reese Cups are out of their packages and fill a large stainless steel bowl, the Halloween glow sticks are ready to be cracked and glowing. Daisy is oblivious to the impending visitors, but once the door bell rings, she will, no doubt, be in her element, believing all these kids are coming to see her.

I noticed Saturday at the supermarket the Halloween candy displays are already down and the Christmas candy displays are up. I think there's a finite amount of candy and it just gets recycled from jack 'o lantern shapes to snowman shapes to heart shapes to bunny shapes.

Last edited:
Then there was the aging US Marshall. I was actually toting twin Colt 1873 revolvers in the gun belt you can see. I'll try to find a shot that included one or both.View attachment 96023

How fun. And you look wonderful Ernie. :Were those revolvers loaded?
We all (including the cash register) had a great time, and other than a few spilled drinks, no real drama. It is extremely rare for a bar around here to be filled to capacity and not have a fight or 2. Security washed glasses and restocked the beer coolers and spun some records when the band was on break.
The mop did come out a few times and the cream colored tile floor looked like someone puked up a dozen Hershey bars, but we escaped drama. I left after cleaning up the food and kitchen, the bar staff left at 6:00 once the bar and dishes were done and security was there til 7:30 after changing the water in the mop bucket 5 times.
No, the Colts were not loaded. They were frequently exposed and in a crowded room, to much of a temptation for someone looking for trouble. There was a 3rd weapon, however, a small .38 revolver that only I knew about and there were the 12 rounds for the .45s in my coat pocket.
We are an extremely low drama place and the odds of needing a weapon in there are extremely small, BUT I was awfully glad I had it one night. In nearly 50 years of carrying a weapon, I had never drawn on anyone until about a year ago. Damned glad I didn't need to fire!

I had a blast, other than a slight case of dish pan hands.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

Wondering where Mr. and Mrs. Gracie are tonight.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki and Becki’s hubby,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Imperius,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in a difficult transition,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,
Kat's mom and her sister,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Fourth of July Canyon hiking trail near Albuquerque NM. (People come for miles around to see the wild red maples when they are in their best color.)

IMG_6086_thumb%25255B4%25255D.jpg

That's what it looks like around here! :)

I bet. I have always wanted to take one of those New England cruises that included fall foliage. Did you get any of that snowfall that was on our news?
Your leaves don't turn? They do fall off, though, right? Wonder why they don't turn color. Maybe it's the type of trees where you are? Not all of ours turn bright colors, either. It depends on the tree.

Then there was the aging US Marshall. I was actually toting twin Colt 1873 revolvers in the gun belt you can see. I'll try to find a shot that included one or both.View attachment 96023

So glad to see you have put some pounds back on. :)
The last one I saw you looked like a skeleton. :biggrin:

You look good Ernie and I'm happy to hear about the witch, but don't let her put a spell on you. Says the one who was labeled one herself at 2 and a half years old. :)
Jeez ! All because I had a few of the farm animals wrapped around my little finger. Heck I don't know why the turkey decided to adopt me as one of his chicks to protect. :lol:

Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Imperius,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Fourth of July Canyon hiking trail near Albuquerque NM. (People come for miles around to see the wild red maples when they are in their best color.)

I bet. I have always wanted to take one of those New England cruises that included fall foliage. Did you get any of that snowfall that was on our news?
Your leaves don't turn? They do fall off, though, right? Wonder why they don't turn color. Maybe it's the type of trees where you are? Not all of ours turn bright colors, either. It depends on the tree.

Here in Albuquerque we have an amazing variety of trees and these do turn all the glorious colors of autumn, but they are landscape trees and therefore not growing wild in forest like settings. The wild trees, except for the occasional stands of wild oak and wild red maple, most of the deciduous trees grow along the bosque--mostly cottonwood--the most common deciduous trees in New Mexico are cottonwood, birch, and aspen--all of which turn golden in the fall. There isn't anything prettier than a large cottonwood tree in full brilliant shimmering gold though, and the aspens are often in large stands that turn a whole mountainside golden.

The largest varieties of wild trees in New Mexico are pine, pinon, fir, and juniper that of course are green year round all being of the evergreen category. And the scraggly mesquite along our eastern border are much to look at any time of year.

To the get full range of brilliant fall colors, you folks in the upper midwest/great lakes states and northeast enjoy the full range of fall colors.

Autumn in New Mexico is more like this:

4cbf6a59d7a4a9424a6c8c2fa733d5e3.jpg
mitton_banner_ksm.jpg

We had a blast at our party.

Our pot luck dinner was from 5:00 to 7:00.
The food as usual was great, some brought in venison and havalina dishes. Yummy deserts dishes also.
We had a live band from 7:00 to 12:00. They were great, played Rock, Folk, and country.
Then when the band was on breaks we had karaoke.
The guy that sounds just like Louis Armstrong who sang What a wonderful World sang again, at many requests. It still seems funny to hear a black man's voice comming out of gringo's face. :lmao:
They finally talked me into singing, but only after my 3rd margarita.:laugh:

The couple who one 1st prize, was a couple in their 80's who looked just like that famous farm couple called American Gothic.
http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/citi/images/standard/WebLarge/WebImg_000256/190741_3056034.jpg
She did a great job on their makeup and hair. They both have grey hair and he is not bald. She should have been a professional make up artist. Who knows, maybe she was for all we know. I do know that they did professional ball room dance competitions in the 1960's and 70's. They still look amazing on the dance floor.

Hubby and I got 4th place and won a very beautiful handmade southwest designed quilt, graceiously donated by one of our quilt making ladies. It has Hopi Indian pottery and saguaro cactus.

We were both grateful that we have that new walk in tub. Hubby soaked his whole body with all of the jet massages on for about 20 min.. I did the foot only, I was surprised that my feet did not hurt as much as I had intisapaited, being I haven't worn 4 inch stilettos in years.

I am not posting pics or vids like Ernie, because we have a handful of semi famous retired people who are members and they want it to stay that way. :)

2nd prize was a guy who had an amazing alien mask, we all are still guessing who he really is.

Last edited:

Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Imperius,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,

Here in Albuquerque we have an amazing variety of trees and these do turn all the glorious colors of autumn, but they are landscape trees and therefore not growing wild in forest like settings. The wild trees, except for the occasional stands of wild oak and wild red maple, most of the deciduous trees grow along the bosque--mostly cottonwood--the most common deciduous trees in New Mexico are cottonwood, birch, and aspen--all of which turn golden in the fall. There isn't anything prettier than a large cottonwood tree in full brilliant shimmering gold though, and the aspens are often in large stands that turn a whole mountainside golden.

The largest varieties of wild trees in New Mexico are pine, pinon, fir, and juniper that of course are green year round all being of the evergreen category. And the scraggly mesquite along our eastern border are much to look at any time of year.

To the get full range of brilliant fall colors, you folks in the upper midwest/great lakes states and northeast enjoy the full range of fall colors.

mitton_banner_ksm.jpg
That's really beautiful. Do you folks have hackmatacks? The first Fall I was in Maine, I thought the firs had gotten diseased when they all turned yellow. They must be the missing link between evergreens and deciduous trees.

tamarack-or-larch-or-hackmatack-larix-laricina-in-fall-colors-only-AXN93E.jpg

Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Imperius,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,

mitton_banner_ksm.jpg
That's really beautiful. Do you folks have hackmatacks? The first Fall I was in Maine, I thought the firs had gotten diseased when they all turned yellow. They must be the missing link between evergreens and deciduous trees.

tamarack-or-larch-or-hackmatack-larix-laricina-in-fall-colors-only-AXN93E.jpg

We don't really have that much fir so I can't say. I've never noticed that phenomenon. The predominate evergreens at higher elevation are mostly pinon and pine, and at the lower elevations mostly juniper.

I had a blast, other than a slight case of dish pan hands.

I bet! Looks like a good size crowed.
Was everyone dressed up?
Only about a third of our crowd did.

Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Imperius,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,

An update on my partner's status. The surgery on his leg went OK, but not well. He'll need additional surgery with no guarantee that things will improve. He's going to physical therapy weekly. At 65, he's eligible for SS, and they have offered him re-training for a more suitable occupation. I doubt he'll be able to climb ladders, crawl around under airplanes, etc, again. I think he's looking at SS disability at this stage. Guy's limping around with a crutch and the pain is pretty intense after moderate movement. He soldiers on as best he can, hiding his pain and limitation as best he can. He can't fool me, though.
Damned, I hope shit like this never happens to me!

LOL. Ditto for us up on the mountain. It was just simpler.

You aren't in Great Britain are you? I once watched a mini documentary of a British lady who was committed to devising a way to feed the birds and foil the squirrel. She built one after another elaborate systems that would deter the squirrel for a few hours, but sooner or later he would figure it out. I think in the animal kingdom they must be among the more brilliant of creatures.
We do get pretty zany about feeding the birds, don't we? My mom had it in her head that she only wanted to feed the little birds. She'd be rapping on the window and shooing off blue jays and doves. Only wanted the chickadees and wrens.
We don't seem to have a lot of grey squirrels around my house. Something must be eating them.
I still remember the year I set up a bird feeding station for ravens and eagles. I put the bones and offal from a moose I shot out in the front yard. We had hours of entertainment watching the birds feed...oh, wait...Alaska is different. Sowwy!
Not different at all. Moose and eagles and hawks share our space here, too. Did the eagles share? I was recently surprised to see two eagles eating a dead critter that had been hit on the side of the road. It occurred to me I'd never seen two feeding together. Maybe one was a juvenile.
Eagles do indeed feed in groups, they are actually scavengers. I have also seen ravens drive the eagles off of a "feeder". I thought it would be a more efficient use of things that would otherwise be wasted. And, it was cheap entertainment for the cats. All of them were perched in the upstairs windows, chittering like they do when they see a sparrow. It was challenging not to let them out to find out just what they were challenging.
When I lived and worked in sunny Sarasota, Florida, one of my projects was at a municipal landfill. That's environmental engineering for 'town dump'.

My part of the project was to accurately map the landfill. Later, my maps and drawings were used to design and install a cap that would lock in place, then gather and extract methane gas. That gas then provided the power for an industrial park.

Every day the landfill was covered with seagulls. It was a dump and it was just a few miles from the Gulf of Mexico.

The gulls spent the majority of their time gleaning the trash for food. Until one of the pair of eagles nesting nearby wanted to stretch their wings. These eagles would swoop down out of the sun as if they were Spitfires closing in on Messerschmidts. The gulls would fly off the dump as if you opened the zipper on a very tight fitting gray and white sweater. They just peeled away from the flight path of the eagles.

Those gulls knew who could be there to feast and those who might be feasted upon.
Years ago, a friend of mine got a (much coveted) permit to visit an eagle viewing site in Alaska. She was an amateur photographer and was excited about the potential. Her most potent photos featured an eagle attacking and eating a gull, while the gull was still alive!
How, or what, does one map at a landfill? I've seen the methane caps and there's a building that has plumbing for the methane emissions.

Forum List

Back