USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

Wondering where Mr. and Mrs. Gracie are tonight.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki and Becki’s hubby,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Imperius,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in a difficult transition,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,
Kat's mom and her sister,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Fourth of July Canyon hiking trail near Albuquerque NM. (People come for miles around to see the wild red maples when they are in their best color.)

IMG_6086_thumb%25255B4%25255D.jpg

I had a garden apartment once in a city neighborhood with LOTS of gray squirrels. I bought the bestest anti-squirrel bird feeder available, with a weight-sensitive perch. Heavy birds and critters like squirrels would close the opening if they got on the perch. So the squirrels figured out they could climb up the side of the house and bat the feeder back and forth so seed would spill onto the ground.
My next move was to offer squirrels their own goodies in hopes they'd leave the bird feeder alone. I hung a squirrel feeder in a tree as far from the feeder as possible and put dried corn cobs on it. For a day or two, it had plenty of traffic while squirrels nibbled the corn off the cob. Then I watched as a squirrel dragged the entire cob across the road, spike and all. Finally,
I just bought extra bird seed.

LOL. Ditto for us up on the mountain. It was just simpler.

You aren't in Great Britain are you? I once watched a mini documentary of a British lady who was committed to devising a way to feed the birds and foil the squirrel. She built one after another elaborate systems that would deter the squirrel for a few hours, but sooner or later he would figure it out. I think in the animal kingdom they must be among the more brilliant of creatures.
We do get pretty zany about feeding the birds, don't we? My mom had it in her head that she only wanted to feed the little birds. She'd be rapping on the window and shooing off blue jays and doves. Only wanted the chickadees and wrens.
We don't seem to have a lot of grey squirrels around my house. Something must be eating them.
I still remember the year I set up a bird feeding station for ravens and eagles. I put the bones and offal from a moose I shot out in the front yard. We had hours of entertainment watching the birds feed...oh, wait...Alaska is different. Sowwy!
Not different at all. Moose and eagles and hawks share our space here, too. Did the eagles share? I was recently surprised to see two eagles eating a dead critter that had been hit on the side of the road. It occurred to me I'd never seen two feeding together. Maybe one was a juvenile.
Eagles do indeed feed in groups, they are actually scavengers. I have also seen ravens drive the eagles off of a "feeder". I thought it would be a more efficient use of things that would otherwise be wasted. And, it was cheap entertainment for the cats. All of them were perched in the upstairs windows, chittering like they do when they see a sparrow. It was challenging not to let them out to find out just what they were challenging.
When I lived and worked in sunny Sarasota, Florida, one of my projects was at a municipal landfill. That's environmental engineering for 'town dump'.

My part of the project was to accurately map the landfill. Later, my maps and drawings were used to design and install a cap that would lock in place, then gather and extract methane gas. That gas then provided the power for an industrial park.

Every day the landfill was covered with seagulls. It was a dump and it was just a few miles from the Gulf of Mexico.

The gulls spent the majority of their time gleaning the trash for food. Until one of the pair of eagles nesting nearby wanted to stretch their wings. These eagles would swoop down out of the sun as if they were Spitfires closing in on Messerschmidts. The gulls would fly off the dump as if you opened the zipper on a very tight fitting gray and white sweater. They just peeled away from the flight path of the eagles.

Those gulls knew who could be there to feast and those who might be feasted upon.

My afternoon involves dropping three trees without hitting other trees or a house. The Birch is touching the roof of the house. The others need to go specific spots or bad things happen. Talking within three feet one way or the other. The area doesn't lend itself to a bucket truck or any heavier equipment. Hoping brains and some brawn applied at the right time win the day.

If you lived closer, I would recommend my son. You should see some of the trees he takes down. He's pretty good if I do say so myself. :)

Watching the Redskins play the Bengals in London. Not happy with the score. The Cubs aren't playing good either. Maybe I'll go back to bed.

Watching the Redskins play the Bengals in London. Not happy with the score. The Cubs aren't playing good either. Maybe I'll go back to bed.

The London game must have been a wild one though - ended in a 27 to 27 tie. I was disappointed that the Cubs lost 1 to nothing though--it was sort of a boring game.

Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Imperius,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Fourth of July Canyon hiking trail near Albuquerque NM. (People come for miles around to see the wild red maples when they are in their best color.)

That's what it looks like around here! :)

Good morning all. I've been super lazy and stayed in bed a long time just watching TV and dozing off and on. Must have needed that because I feel great now. I might even decide to do something useful, but I'll figure that out after a cup of coffee or three.

Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Imperius,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,

I bet. I have always wanted to take one of those New England cruises that included fall foliage. Did you get any of that snowfall that was on our news?

Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Imperius,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,

I bet. I have always wanted to take one of those New England cruises that included fall foliage. Did you get in of that snowfall that was on our news?

No, but it was chilly. It's actually like 50 degrees today though.

Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Imperius,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,

I bet. I have always wanted to take one of those New England cruises that included fall foliage. Did you get in of that snowfall that was on our news?

I'm jealous. That is what our late October temps are supposed to be but we're stuck in the mid to high 70's. And folks in the lower mid west will be in the 80's today. It isn't supposed to be that way.

Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Imperius,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,

I'm jealous. That is what our late October temps are supposed to be but we're stuck in the mid to high 70's.

You wouldn't be jealous at all if you knew what we are in for every single winter. Freezing cold temps, piles of snow, wind, blizzards, shoveling.

Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Imperius,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,

I'm jealous. That is what our late October temps are supposed to be but we're stuck in the mid to high 70's.

You wouldn't be jealous at all if you knew what we are in for every single winter. Freezing cold temps, piles of snow, wind, blizzards, shoveling.

There was a time I would have LOVED that. But these days I do prefer our milder winters. But I do want some winter and I'm wondering if we're going to have one this year. Or even some of our usual wonderful fall weather for that matter.

There was a time I would have LOVED that. But these days I do prefer our milder winters. But I do want some winter and I'm wondering if we're going to have one this year. Or even some of our usual wonderful fall weather for that matter.

Winter is awful around here. It's really cold and really windy all the time. I'm dreading it.

Too dark to get landscape jobs worked on in the morning before regular work or in the evening either. That leaves the weekends. This morning was rainy. I have soooo much to get done for folks before the ground freezes.

Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Imperius,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,

Halloween-House-halloween-32462796-1366-768.jpg

Let's see if I can post a short video from the Halloween party last night. We had some great costumes. I even found myself captivated by a witch, but no one was as awesome as the 9 foot man. He actually came in in the afternoon to check our ceilings before putting on the costume. /

Everybody be careful today and don't let the spooks get you. I'm going to spend the day hiding under the bed so I'll be safe.

Forum List

Back