USMB Coffee Shop IV

14716344_922474054551744_8793983699196358619_n.jpg
I'm in luck, I have yet to see one squirrel down here.........

My boss, in an effort to 'go green', recently installed air hand dryers in the restrooms in lieu of paper towels. But he bought the least effective hand dryers made by man. You could waste a minute and a half waiting for these inept machines to dry your hands before you give up and wipe them dry on your pants.

Saturday night I was in a restaurant that had these high tech Dyson blade hand dryers. They look like this:

Dyson_Airblade_Transparent_BG.png

And that got me thinking, how much did the 'wipe your hands on your pants' dryers cost compared to the George Jetson style Dyson model.

So I explored Amazon to find a quick answer. What I found was these Dyson dryers had lousy reviews! Mostly one and two stars. So I read through the reviews to see what the complaints were. The best review I read started: WORST URINAL EVER!

LOL. I hate those air dryers even when they work well. I much prefer the feeling of that paper towel though I do try to make do with one so I am not wasteful. I wonder in the grand scheme of thing how green those dryers are though because I suspect they use a LOT of energy. And most paper towels are made from fully replaceable scrub trees that aren't much good for anything else other than the benefits of green growing things.
I've gone in and splashed water on my face...and then realized all there is are air dryers. Ever try blowing dry your face?
Worse yet, trying to wipe it dry on your jeans

Squirrels!?! They are thick as Donald Trump's hair in Thompson Park! Daisy has been having the runs of a lifetime, chasing the Brown and Black squirrels back up into the trees where they belong! The Great White Hunter snaps a bead on a squirrel or a chipmunk and as they say at the Pittsburgh Penguins games, "Katy! Bar the door!"

She gets the squirrel up the tree then she dances on her hind legs around the base of the trunk. Meanwhile, Rocky is scampering around the trunk, but only three feet off the ground. He hangs there, spiraling around the tree trunk chattering away like a gossip in a beauty parlor.

Where I went to school, Columbus, Ohio the campus was clogged with students and gray squirrels. My brother went to Kent State University where all the campus squirrels are black. Here they are light brown with a gold or white belly. The residents of the building my office is located have been feeding a squirrel out on the lawn. The damn thing I said the size of a loaf of bread!

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki and Becki’s hubby,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Imperius,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in a difficult transition,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

peaceful_place_by_arigulla-d5fqeuf.jpg

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki and Becki’s hubby,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Imperius,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in a difficult transition,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

peaceful_place_by_arigulla-d5fqeuf.jpg

Another beaut!

Squirrels!?! They are thick as Donald Trump's hair in Thompson Park! Daisy has been having the runs of a lifetime, chasing the Brown and Black squirrels back up into the trees where they belong! The Great White Hunter snaps a bead on a squirrel or a chipmunk and as they say at the Pittsburgh Penguins games, "Katy! Bar the door!"

She gets the squirrel up the tree then she dances on her hind legs around the base of the trunk. Meanwhile, Rocky is scampering around the trunk, but only three feet off the ground. He hangs there, spiraling around the tree trunk chattering away like a gossip in a beauty parlor.

Where I went to school, Columbus, Ohio the campus was clogged with students and gray squirrels. My brother went to Kent State University where all the campus squirrels are black. Here they are light brown with a gold or white belly. The residents of the building my office is located have been feeding a squirrel out on the lawn. The damn thing I said the size of a loaf of bread!
I had a garden apartment once in a city neighborhood with LOTS of gray squirrels. I bought the bestest anti-squirrel bird feeder available, with a weight-sensitive perch. Heavy birds and critters like squirrels would close the opening if they got on the perch. So the squirrels figured out they could climb up the side of the house and bat the feeder back and forth so seed would spill onto the ground.
My next move was to offer squirrels their own goodies in hopes they'd leave the bird feeder alone. I hung a squirrel feeder in a tree as far from the feeder as possible and put dried corn cobs on it. For a day or two, it had plenty of traffic while squirrels nibbled the corn off the cob. Then I watched as a squirrel dragged the entire cob across the road, spike and all. Finally,
I just bought extra bird seed.

I had a garden apartment once in a city neighborhood with LOTS of gray squirrels. I bought the bestest anti-squirrel bird feeder available, with a weight-sensitive perch. Heavy birds and critters like squirrels would close the opening if they got on the perch. So the squirrels figured out they could climb up the side of the house and bat the feeder back and forth so seed would spill onto the ground.
My next move was to offer squirrels their own goodies in hopes they'd leave the bird feeder alone. I hung a squirrel feeder in a tree as far from the feeder as possible and put dried corn cobs on it. For a day or two, it had plenty of traffic while squirrels nibbled the corn off the cob. Then I watched as a squirrel dragged the entire cob across the road, spike and all. Finally,

LOL. Ditto for us up on the mountain. It was just simpler.

You aren't in Great Britain are you? I once watched a mini documentary of a British lady who was committed to devising a way to feed the birds and foil the squirrel. She built one after another elaborate systems that would deter the squirrel for a few hours, but sooner or later he would figure it out. I think in the animal kingdom they must be among the more brilliant of creatures.

I've been noticing more and more lately, that I'll have entire conversations with my dad about something, and the next day, or days later, he'll ask me the same exact question that kicked off that conversation we already had.

And he's completely oblivious to it, every time. :(

So sorry Sixfoot. It sometimes happens to those getting older. But do call it to the attention of his doctor because there are sometimes medical means of improving things.

He won't be my first patient suffering from Alzheimer's, but he will be the worst. It figures too, since we just recently started building a relationship.

Oh well, I've inhaled enough aluminum dust that I prolly won't remember this for very long either...

There is another possibility? Is he a heavy drinker or drug user? Or on heavy narcotic pain meds? Or a closet drinker/drug user? I have a beloved relative who is not yet "old" however we define that who is exhibiting the same symptoms. We will have a detailed conversation one day and this person will not recall it the next. This kind of 'black out' is not all that uncommon among the addicted and it is not always completely obvious that the person has been drinking/using at the time.

Were you in the medical profession before you retired?

LOL. Ditto for us up on the mountain. It was just simpler.

You aren't in Great Britain are you? I once watched a mini documentary of a British lady who was committed to devising a way to feed the birds and foil the squirrel. She built one after another elaborate systems that would deter the squirrel for a few hours, but sooner or later he would figure it out. I think in the animal kingdom they must be among the more brilliant of creatures.
We do get pretty zany about feeding the birds, don't we? My mom had it in her head that she only wanted to feed the little birds. She'd be rapping on the window and shooing off blue jays and doves. Only wanted the chickadees and wrens.
We don't seem to have a lot of grey squirrels around my house. Something must be eating them.

I've been noticing more and more lately, that I'll have entire conversations with my dad about something, and the next day, or days later, he'll ask me the same exact question that kicked off that conversation we already had.

So sorry Sixfoot. It sometimes happens to those getting older. But do call it to the attention of his doctor because there are sometimes medical means of improving things.

He won't be my first patient suffering from Alzheimer's, but he will be the worst. It figures too, since we just recently started building a relationship.

Oh well, I've inhaled enough aluminum dust that I prolly won't remember this for very long either...

There is another possibility? Is he a heavy drinker or drug user? Or on heavy narcotic pain meds? Or a closet drinker/drug user? I have a beloved relative who is not yet "old" however we define that who is exhibiting the same symptoms. We will have a detailed conversation one day and this person will not recall it the next. This kind of 'black out' is not all that uncommon among the addicted and it is not always completely obvious that the person has been drinking/using at the time.

No heavy alcohol use, just the occasional bottle or so of my home made apple wine when he visits and we get to cooking some amazing ethnic foods. And he's probably the only person I've ever met who I believe when they say they've never so much as smoked a joint.

He is, however, in his 60's now, and my grandma either has it also, or it's just her last year on earth. She's in and out of reality. I used to be an EMT way back in the day, and my job involved transporting the elderly and disabled to their appointments. Many many experiences with people during all stages of Alzheimer's.

No heavy alcohol use, just the occasional bottle or so of my home made apple wine when he visits and we get to cooking some amazing ethnic foods. And he's probably the only person I've ever met who I believe when they say they've never so much as smoked a joint.

He is, however, in his 60's now, and my grandma either has it also, or it's just her last year on earth. She's in and out of reality. I used to be an EMT way back in the day, and my job involved transporting the elderly and disabled to their appointments. Many many experiences with people during all stages of Alzheimer's.

Understood. I don't know what is more heart breaking: the addict who will not recognize the problem and get help or those slipping into dementia for whom there is no help. We can only hope that the cure for both is somewhere out there to be discovered.

So far as USMB is concerned, I believe that we need this Coffee Shop more than ever. I've been on this board since the end of August 2009. There have been a couple of midterm elections as well as a Presidential election since then. I always enjoyed engaging in a good, civil debate with others. But this year I see the posts and topics out there they way a glistening turd circles a toilet bowl as it is flushed away. The more vile, juvenile, obnoxious and boorish some folks are, the more they're celebrated.

But here in the Coffee Shop, one has the opportunity to have stimulating conversations and a gracious exchange of ideas. Granted, our conversations are not as weighty as a Presidential election, but elections isn't the stuff life is made of. Recipes and household tips and how our families are getting along, or not getting along. That is the stuff of actual life.

We humans are naturally social beings. We are not solitary like badgers or sharks. We need to be with our own kind and interact with them. That's how we learn and get a shot at experiencing things we might not otherwise get to experience.

I'm doing all this navel gazing after trying in vain to make some points out there on the wide wild world of USMB. This post is just a way of taking a break, putting my feet up and relaxing. I'm thankful that I can get away with telling a few stories, reading even more and never ever being called a vile name due to my politics.

Foxy, Good call! Creating this thread was like crafting a lifeboat big enough and seaworthy enough to save souls in peril on the sea of the 2016 Presidential election!

So far as USMB is concerned, I believe that we need this Coffee Shop more than ever. I've been on this board since the end of August 2009. There have been a couple of midterm elections as well as a Presidential election since then. I always enjoyed engaging in a good, civil debate with others. But this year I see the posts and topics out there they way a glistening turd circles a toilet bowl as it is flushed away. The more vile, juvenile, obnoxious and boorish some folks are, the more they're celebrated.

But here in the Coffee Shop, one has the opportunity to have stimulating conversations and a gracious exchange of ideas. Granted, our conversations are not as weighty as a Presidential election, but elections isn't the stuff life is made of. Recipes and household tips and how our families are getting along, or not getting along. That is the stuff of actual life.

We humans are naturally social beings. We are not solitary like badgers or sharks. We need to be with our own kind and interact with them. That's how we learn and get a shot at experiencing things we might not otherwise get to experience.

I'm doing all this navel gazing after trying in vain to make some points out there on the wide wild world of USMB. This post is just a way of taking a break, putting my feet up and relaxing. I'm thankful that I can get away with telling a few stories, reading even more and never ever being called a vile name due to my politics.

Foxy, Good call! Creating this thread was like crafting a lifeboat big enough and seaworthy enough to save souls in peril on the sea of the 2016 Presidential election!

It was a gamble Nosmo. I joined USMB in 2007 but didn't really become active until some time later when my previous board home became intolerable for me. USMB was better but there were still those who make sport of insulting people and trying to make their experience here as miserable as possible. And that condition has worsened in recent years with the positively worst exhibited during the silly season of an election.

The Coffee Shop was inspired in 2010 when I had a very rare civil exchange with one of those people and realized that he probably was a much different sort in real life than what he projected here. And I wished I could meet some of you in a setting that wasn't so emotionally charged with politics and highly emotional controversial topics.

So I started the thread with no idea of what it might become. And apparently there were many others who felt the same way I did and it took off. From the very beginning it was a special place that most felt should be protected and it was those people who have made the Coffee Shop what it is. I enjoy being the hostess but I take no credit for what it has become. Not long after the CS became active Save shared his feelings about his beautiful granddaughter--when she was on the way and when she was born with so many problems requiring painful surgeries. Harper is now a beautiful young girl but still has some issues that will need to be dealt with so, as the inspiration of the vigil list, she continues to head it. Many of us pray, but I think it is meaningful even for the nonreligious among us who do feel and give support through encouragement and caring.

I have always hoped that those who have given and give the most to the Coffee Shop also get the most from it. It sort of works like that I think. :)

Anyway thanks for your kind words. You sure validate what I think we have here.

Speaking of nuts I have been afflicted with this debilitating condition for several years...

Welcome to the city of Olney, IL

I was born about an hours leisurely drive from this quaint little town in Southeastern Illinois. Olney has always been famous for their population of albino squirrels...

It looks like a beautiful and peaceful place to grow up--great for kids, yes? And the squirrels are beautiful.

Foxy I am quite sure that Olney was a very peaceful town and it has some beautiful features, I never lived there. I have been there quite a few times as I enjoyed going to the park to see the squirrels. I lived with my parents for 18 years and moved 21 times between Indiana and Illinois... My formative years was on wheels...

Foxy I am quite sure that Olney was a very peaceful town and it has some beautiful features, I never lived there. I have been there quite a few times as I enjoyed going to the park to see the squirrels. I lived with my parents for 18 years and moved 21 times between Indiana and Illinois... My formative years was on wheels...

I can appreciate that. But the photos are lovely.

There's nothing unique about our floral and fauna here in East Liverpool. But before the Army Corps of Engineers dammed the Ohio, there was a set of rapids right off First Street.

When George Washington surveyed the river and what, at the time, was northern Virginia, his party had to,portage around the waterfalls and rapids.

So, you see, George,Washington schlepped here.

Forum List

Back