USMB Coffee Shop IV

Groan... not another Dallas fan? SFC Ollie and Foxy are Dallas fans. They are the only two Dallas fans I know of that don't have "issues". At any rate, welcome to the Coffee Shop fbj and when you want to learn about what football is really all about take a look at my beloved Washington Redskins and the Green Bay Packers! Meanwhile, let me pour you another beverage and fluff your pillow. Welcome.

Don't be coy, BBD! Being a Dallas fan is an "issue" all by itself. :lol:

I was a Cubs fan before they made it to the World Series. :afro:

:) Should have been the Rangers, yes? But given that the Cubs haven't been in the series since Noah's flood, I just have to go with them.

It matters not who the Cubs stomp this year. All that matters is, the Cubs are going to the World Series within my lifetime! lol

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki and Becki’s hubby,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Boedicca's Dad,
Montrovant's transition,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Imperius,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in a difficult transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

This is Berlin Lake on the Mahoning River in Ohio

USACE_Berlin_Dam_Mahoning_River.jpg

I'm in week 3 of my classes, I think you can take me off the list. :D

Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Montrovant's transition,
Imperius,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Okay

Okay. Happy to do so. And also happy to put you right back on if and when you need those positive vibes. :)

I have a question on last night's vigil photo. Just beyond and slightly left of the dam as we are looking at it is what appears to be a large concrete slab. It approximates a tennis court but obviously is not that. Anybody have a clue what the function of it is?

Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Montrovant's transition,
Imperius,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,

Doing well so far, I hope!

I have a question on last night's vigil photo. Just beyond and slightly left of the dam as we are looking at it is what appears to be a large concrete slab. It approximates a tennis court but obviously is not that. Anybody have a clue what the function of it is?

Parking lot. Playground on the premises. Driveway appears to come in from the trees further to the left of this close-up.

upload_2016-10-24_11-8-30.png

Parking lot. Playground on the premises. Driveway appears to come in from the trees further to the left of this close-up.

View attachment 95053

That sure could be it. Looks like spaces for an awful lot of cars for that small building though, but I suspect you're right.

Last edited:
I pity the kid called Colon when they get around to studying anatomy and physiology :(

There are several names there that would give a kid a lot of grief. Granted kids will always find a way to tease and make fun of others at times, but you don't have to hand them the ammunition.

I thought you had been to the Coffee Shop before Tilly, but your name wasn't on the list. So welcome to you and hope you find a peaceful and accepting home here as many of us have. You do get a nice first timer's complimentary beverage:

It's lethal or benign, however you prefer it.

beauty-cocktail-90409.jpg
When my daughter was born, I was very much a fan of The Lord of the Rings and wanted to name her Galadriel. Her other parental unit managed to call her something much more normal.

I've thought that it is a good thing that David Eddings started writing books and I became a fan after my daughter was born. Otherwise she might have been named Polgara. :)

When I was a kid we used to sing a song about a bear going over the mountain to see what he could see. I've always wondered what it was that he saw.

I pity the kid called Colon when they get around to studying anatomy and physiology :(

There are several names there that would give a kid a lot of grief. Granted kids will always find a way to tease and make fun of others at times, but you don't have to hand them the ammunition.

I thought you had been to the Coffee Shop before Tilly, but your name wasn't on the list. So welcome to you and hope you find a peaceful and accepting home here as many of us have. You do get a nice first timer's complimentary beverage:

It's lethal or benign, however you prefer it.

beauty-cocktail-90409.jpg
When my daughter was born, I was very much a fan of The Lord of the Rings and wanted to name her Galadriel. Her other parental unit managed to call her something much more normal.

I've thought that it is a good thing that David Eddings started writing books and I became a fan after my daughter was born. Otherwise she might have been named Polgara. :)
I wonder about the kids of Harry Potter fans.......

Albus Severus
Scorpius Hyperon
Hermione
Rubeus
Argus
Amycus (Yup that name would make me a death eater also........)
Remus
Just to name a few possibles........

When did you last bob for an apple? My office is participating in a Trunk-or-Treat Halloween party at the park this Saturday. While I appreciate concerned parents and the potential hazards of turning their kids out to scamper door to door in the dark of the evening on Halloween, I really hope that these Trunk-or-Treat style celebrations have a half life and will go as quickly as they came.

When you're a kid, there's nothing like the rituals of HA allowed. Getting dressed up in costume, going to your neighbor's and getting free candy, passing along the information on where the best candy is offered. "Weavers are giving out full size Hershey bars! And the Douglas' are giving out Good 'n Plentys!"

Halloween parties where you could actually stick your head in a wash tub filled with water and Red Delicious apples, tables laden with glazed doughnuts and apple cider, a spirited game of hide and seek.

To listen to my old uncles, things were even livelier in their day. Uncle Alex told me the story of how the boys put axel grease on the trolley tracks at the foot of the Lisbon Street hill. Lisbon Street is a steep hill, and that's saying something given our topography. Well, the trolley rolled down that hill, brakes squealing and then hit that grease and slid all the way through the intersection at Eighth Street.

S,a king someone with a sock filled with flour was another great old gag from the minds of my uncles, secret juvenile delinquent that they were. They all grew up to become respected businessmen, church elders and city officials. But as young boys with the excuse of Halloween, they were typical hellion boys.

But today, parents fear door to door Trick-orTreating. Go figure.

When did you last bob for an apple? My office is participating in a Trunk-or-Treat Halloween party at the park this Saturday. While I appreciate concerned parents and the potential hazards of turning their kids out to scamper door to door in the dark of the evening on Halloween, I really hope that these Trunk-or-Treat style celebrations have a half life and will go as quickly as they came.

When you're a kid, there's nothing like the rituals of HA allowed. Getting dressed up in costume, going to your neighbor's and getting free candy, passing along the information on where the best candy is offered. "Weavers are giving out full size Hershey bars! And the Douglas' are giving out Good 'n Plentys!"

Halloween parties where you could actually stick your head in a wash tub filled with water and Red Delicious apples, tables laden with glazed doughnuts and apple cider, a spirited game of hide and seek.

To listen to my old uncles, things were even livelier in their day. Uncle Alex told me the story of how the boys put axel grease on the trolley tracks at the foot of the Lisbon Street hill. Lisbon Street is a steep hill, and that's saying something given our topography. Well, the trolley rolled down that hill, brakes squealing and then hit that grease and slid all the way through the intersection at Eighth Street.

S,a king someone with a sock filled with flour was another great old gag from the minds of my uncles, secret juvenile delinquent that they were. They all grew up to become respected businessmen, church elders and city officials. But as young boys with the excuse of Halloween, they were typical hellion boys.

But today, parents fear door to door Trick-orTreating. Go figure.

I think it is because it is a more dangerous world out there than it was for us Nosmo. I share your feelings of losing some of those old lovely traditions that were so much fun and so exciting for kids, but I sure wouldn't turn my kids loose to go trick or treating by themselves these days even in our own neighborhood where I feel perfectly safe most of the time. Trunk or treating seems to be the new trend. It doesn't have the same something special for me, but I suppose for the kids who don't know any better, that too will have special memories for them.

Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Imperius,
Mrs. O and SFC Ollie,

Illinois River Road Scenic Byway

7c4dde3214e54b374280cb52e06519f0.jpg

For those who know and love SFC Ollie , he just now asked me to pass this information along to everybody and rather than put it in my words, I'll just use his regarding his beloved Mrs. O:

You can pass on that she is definitely in the final stages of liver disease. She had 3 days earlier this week where she didn't know what she was doing and slept 20 hours out of every 24, then she came back for 3 days, and this afternoon started slipping back into confusion. You can let them know that Home Hospice is giving her better care than if she were in the hospital... And you can tell them that I am holding steady....for now....​
Pass on my most heartfelt condolences, please, Foxy. SFC and Mrs. Ollie deserve all the best.
And mine.

webs_2.png
webs_1.png
webs_3.png
5 more days until our Halloween party at Docs. Much of the decorating is done and only 4 more incandescents to replace with black light bulbs. Spider webs up and hanging spiders, bats and other creepy things attached to fishing lines poised to drop in on folks around the room and bar.

Forum List

Back