USMB Coffee Shop IV

That's what I'm doing also. :)
I do the yams, cornbread and pumkin pie plus the giblets for my dressing tomorrow.

How are you fixing your yams? I need to do a non dairy and mostly sugar free version for one of my guests tomorrow who is allergic to all dairy and is diabetic.
I suggest you just bake one up, like a regular potato. I love mine that way and you can offer any kind of non-dairy salad dressing. I like mine with butter and pepper, but that's out for non-dairy. Everyone else can indulge in the super sweet, yucky (IMHO) traditional method of preparation.

I want a dish that I can feed to 9 people though--8 of them non vegans. I found a recipe that combines mashed sweet potatoes with mashed russet potatoes, sweetened with a bit of honey--a little bit shouldn't spike blood sugar--and mixed with olive oil, salt and pepper. It actually sounds good to me and looks good in the photo.
That does appear to be a tasty dish, and not too sweet, either.
Have you ever tried colcannon? It's an Irish recipe using mashed potatoes and kale, or cabbage. It's right tasty, too!

I have had colcannon. But all my cabbage goes into the beef stew for tonight and I don't believe I've ever bought kale.
Beef stew with cabbage? I don't recall having tried that before. I do make chicken soup using cabbage, mushrooms, carrots, and celery. I leave out noodles because of the carbs and they tend to get really mushy.

Mrs. BBD is in the kitchen baking pies for tomorrow. Sure does smell good around here.

Mmmm. The home baked pies don't arrive here until tomorrow. But I might toss a Sara Lee in the oven for the family to enjoy tonight. Son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter are on the way.

I do the yams, cornbread and pumkin pie plus the giblets for my dressing tomorrow.

How are you fixing your yams? I need to do a non dairy and mostly sugar free version for one of my guests tomorrow who is allergic to all dairy and is diabetic.
I suggest you just bake one up, like a regular potato. I love mine that way and you can offer any kind of non-dairy salad dressing. I like mine with butter and pepper, but that's out for non-dairy. Everyone else can indulge in the super sweet, yucky (IMHO) traditional method of preparation.

I boil them and mash them and serve them with salt, pepper and lots of REAL butter. That's my favorite way to eat them. :D I don't think they need anything else.

Mrs. BBD is in the kitchen baking pies for tomorrow. Sure does smell good around here.

Mmmm. The home baked pies don't arrive here until tomorrow. But I might toss a Sara Lee in the oven for the family to enjoy tonight. Son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter are on the way.

I want a dish that I can feed to 9 people though--8 of them non vegans. I found a recipe that combines mashed sweet potatoes with mashed russet potatoes, sweetened with a bit of honey--a little bit shouldn't spike blood sugar--and mixed with olive oil, salt and pepper. It actually sounds good to me and looks good in the photo.

That sounds delicious! I made a dish once out of fennel and celery root. Unfortunately, I don't like fennel much.

Have you ever tried colcannon? It's an Irish recipe using mashed potatoes and kale, or cabbage. It's right tasty, too!

I have had colcannon. But all my cabbage goes into the beef stew for tonight and I don't believe I've ever bought kale.
Beef stew with cabbage? I don't recall having tried that before. I do make chicken soup using cabbage, mushrooms, carrots, and celery. I leave out noodles because of the carbs and they tend to get really mushy.

Yes, I cook the meat - stew meat or hamburger until fairly well done, drain if hamburger is used, add beef broth, chopped up cabbage, potatoes, onion, celery, tomatoes (or a can of stewed tomatoes), carrots or any other appropriate veggies I might have in the fridge, with garlic, salt, and pepper and simmer until the veggies are tender. Served with corn bread or just saltines, it is a house specialty comfort food. Never found anybody who didn't like it. I do season the meat with salt and pepper while cooking it too.

Last edited:

I boil them and mash them and serve them with salt, pepper and lots of REAL butter. That's my favorite way to eat them. :D I don't think they need anything else.

But you can't add butter and call it vegan. :)

That sounds delicious! I made a dish once out of fennel and celery root. Unfortunately, I don't like fennel much.

I'm not fond of fennel either and I agree it does sound good. So I'm going to try it. If it's awful at least we'll have lots of other stuff to eat. :)

Vegan? I'm a carnivore! Raaaaawwwrrrr. :D I eat other critters!

Yes, I cook the meat - stew meat or hamburger until fairly well done, drain if hamburger is used, add beef broth, chopped up cabbage, potatoes, onion, celery, tomatoes (or a can of stewed tomatoes), carrots or any other appropriate veggies I might have in the fridge, with garlic, salt, and pepper and simmer until the veggies are tender. Served with corn bread or just saltines, it is a house specialty comfort food. Never found anybody who didn't like it. I do season the meat with salt and pepper while cooking it too.

I usually make mine with sweet onions, potatoes (of course - I love potatoes), carrots and sometimes I might throw some corn in there, that's about it. Oh, and dumplings! Can't have beef stew without the dumplings! :)

I'm not fond of fennel either and I agree it does sound good. So I'm going to try it. If it's awful at least we'll have lots of other stuff to eat. :)

Fennel is gross, IMO. It tastes like black licorice, and I've never liked black licorice either. :cheeky-smiley-018:

I use non dairy margine (spectrum naturlas brand and fructose).

Use about 1/2 the amount of sugar required for fructose or it gets way to sweet.

I don't think fructose or sugar will work for my guest--too likely to spike blood sugar. If I don't get enough sweetener with a touch of honey, I'll supplement with stevia.

If your guest can eat fruit then they can have fructose.
AJCN | Mobile

Last edited:

I usually make mine with sweet onions, potatoes (of course - I love potatoes), carrots and sometimes I might throw some corn in there, that's about it. Oh, and dumplings! Can't have beef stew without the dumplings! :)

I usually don't add corn and we aren't really a dumpling kind of family which is wierd since we are all southerners.

I use non dairy margine (spectrum naturlas brand and fructose).

Use about 1/2 the amount of sugar required for fructose or it gets way to sweet.

I don't think fructose or sugar will work for my guest--too likely to spike blood sugar. If I don't get enough sweetener with a touch of honey, I'll supplement with stevia.

If your guest can eat fruit then they can have fructose.

She really has to limit the fruit though--maybe a little bit of apple once in awhile and she tolerates moderate amounts of berries pretty well. But if she eats a fruit cup at the restaurant it will likely spike her blood sugar significantly. I got some blackberries and blueberries for her to enjoy tomorrow while the rest of us have pumpkin pie. Actually she recently found out she is allergic to almost all fruit except berries--has been getting treated to add back small amounts.

Fennel is gross, IMO. It tastes like black licorice, and I've never liked black licorice either. :cheeky-smiley-018:

I don't mind black licorice but I haven't enjoyed fennel in anything it has been included in.

I also am a carnivore though I do usually don't want a lot of meat, poultry, or fish. But sure wouldn't want to pass it up entirely. I just want to be a good hostess to the one person who doesn't eat any animal protein and is allergic to all dairy so she is essentially vegan. She is a shirttail cousin--niece of my uncle by marriage who recently passed away--and she has been such a help to me and my Aunt Betty that I would do pretty much anything for her.

Don't you hate getting the black licorice jelly beans? Why did someone decide that a bag of jelly beans should have 4 or 5 fruit flavors.....and black licorice?! :mad:

Depending how much onion you use, and whether or not I can avoid the tomatoes, I might not like it. :p I don't like tomatoes at all and while I can tolerate onions, I don't like much of them. Cabbage isn't great but I'll eat it. I don't care for corn bread, either, for that matter. :lol:

I also am a carnivore though I do usually don't want a lot of meat, poultry, or fish. But sure wouldn't want to pass it up entirely. I just want to be a good hostess to the one person who doesn't eat any animal protein and is allergic to all dairy so she is essentially vegan. She is a shirttail cousin--niece of my uncle by marriage who recently passed away--and she has been such a help to me and my Aunt Betty that I would do pretty much anything for her.

I don't know what I would do if I developed a dairy allergy. Without a bowl of cereal every morning I'd feel lost. :laugh:

I just empty the storage unit so that is going to save us $55 a month and now all that we own is in mrg's truck. It's kind of sad and I got rid of a bunch more stuff that I really don't need but I sure did hate doing that. But at least everything we own is parked next to it in the truck and we are still in the RV until probably sometime in the beginning of January. Once we decide where we're going at least everything is alright here and we could just get in our vehicles and go.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Also totally yummy. I use butter for everything, margarine tastes...well, yucky.

Totally different than I would make stew, but it does look tasty. Maybe I'll use your recipe next time it's my night to cook for the geezers.

Forum List

Back