USMB Coffee Shop IV

My son made himself a peanut butter sandwich before leaving for work, and he got peanut butter all over the bottom of the jar! How on EARTH does that happen??? And why are boys so slobby? What's wrong with them??? :dunno:

You have a son old enough to go to work and you haven't figured that out yet? :) When my son and daughter-in-law got married, I gave her a HUGE box of el cheapo
inexpensive grayish towels as one of the wedding gifts. I explained to her that she would understand after awhile. And she did. :) He is a senior professional engineer with a major energy producing corporation, but he never got out of that syndrome of making a mess.

The one exception to that is my Hombre who is the world's most dedicated neatnik--at least on the surface. Whatever mess doesn't show underneath doesn't bother him and it drives me nuts. But on the other hand, when I am working, cooking, doing a major project, etc. there will be a lot of clutter and that doesn't bother me but it drives him nuts. Amazing that we've stayed married all these years but we have. And we're still best friends.

I'm still wondering how in the world you get the peanut butter on the bottom of the jar? :eusa_think: Did he put it on his peanut butter sandwich or something? What the heck?

My son made himself a peanut butter sandwich before leaving for work, and he got peanut butter all over the bottom of the jar! How on EARTH does that happen??? And why are boys so slobby? What's wrong with them??? :dunno:

You have a son old enough to go to work and you haven't figured that out yet? :) When my son and daughter-in-law got married, I gave her a HUGE box of el cheapo
inexpensive grayish towels as one of the wedding gifts. I explained to her that she would understand after awhile. And she did. :) He is a senior professional engineer with a major energy producing corporation, but he never got out of that syndrome of making a mess.

The one exception to that is my Hombre who is the world's most dedicated neatnik--at least on the surface. Whatever mess doesn't show underneath doesn't bother him and it drives me nuts. But on the other hand, when I am working, cooking, doing a major project, etc. there will be a lot of clutter and that doesn't bother me but it drives him nuts. Amazing that we've stayed married all these years but we have. And we're still best friends.

I'm still wondering how in the world you get the peanut butter on the bottom of the jar? :eusa_think: Did he put it on his peanut butter sandwich or something? What the heck?

That's my best guess. He probably wasn't paying attention and set the jar down on the knife or spoon he was using or on the sandwich itself. He probably didn't even notice the jar was gunked up. It is anybody's guess whether he would have wiped it off had he noticed. :)

OMG! I think I may have the opportunity of a lifetime, one I never even thought of!! Talking with my daughter this afternoon, we were considering when would be the best time next year for me to go visit. They are on Okinawa, if y'all recall. At one point, she mentioned that she wanted to go see the Great Wall but her hubby was considering Taipei as a travel destination. I suggested she do some research and find out what tours might be offered and how much it might cost to tour the GW, the Forbidden City and other destinations in that area. I'll have almost a month when I go visit and it might be super cool to go play tourist in those places with my girls. They'll be going to Hong Kong over Christmas.
Legend has it when Nixon first went to China, the Chinese were out impress and test the American President. They took Tricky Dick on a tour of the Great Wall just outside what was then called Peking.

This part of the wall was exceptionally steep. Nixon and his Chinese entourage huffed and puffed their way up the steep wall top. Reaching the top, Nixon found a press gaggle eager to learn of his impressions. Gasping for breath, Nixon obliged panting out the words "It's a great wall!"

OMG! I think I may have the opportunity of a lifetime, one I never even thought of!! Talking with my daughter this afternoon, we were considering when would be the best time next year for me to go visit. They are on Okinawa, if y'all recall. At one point, she mentioned that she wanted to go see the Great Wall but her hubby was considering Taipei as a travel destination. I suggested she do some research and find out what tours might be offered and how much it might cost to tour the GW, the Forbidden City and other destinations in that area. I'll have almost a month when I go visit and it might be super cool to go play tourist in those places with my girls. They'll be going to Hong Kong over Christmas.
Legend has it when Nixon first went to China, the Chinese were out impress and test the American President. They took Tricky Dick on a tour of the Great Wall just outside what was then called Peking.

This part of the wall was exceptionally steep. Nixon and his Chinese entourage huffed and puffed their way up the steep wall top. Reaching the top, Nixon found a press gaggle eager to learn of his impressions. Gasping for breath, Nixon obliged panting out the words "It's a great wall!"

That was one of the adventures I always wanted to do--walk part of the 'Great Wall'--but I is extremely unlikely that I'll ever do it now.

FarSide-GreatWallofChina.jpg

Not many people understand the real motivation for building that wall.

True. I studied the history probably touching on it in grade school and more in depth later on and in college--I took a LOT of world history--but I'm pretty sure that mention of the Great Wall, along with much of American and world history is no longer taught a half century later. I am amazed at the college kids these days that have never had any formal instruction on Karl Marx, the making of the Soviet Empire, or even the Berlin Wall coming down, etc. And that is a shame even though there are decades of history that hadn't happened yet when I was in school that the kids these days probably do have to learn.

True. I studied the history probably touching on it in grade school and more in depth later on and in college--I took a LOT of world history--but I'm pretty sure that mention of the Great Wall, along with much of American and world history is no longer taught a half century later. I am amazed at the college kids these days that have never had any formal instruction on Karl Marx, the making of the Soviet Empire, or even the Berlin Wall coming down, etc. And that is a shame even though there are decades of history that hadn't happened yet when I was in school that the kids these days probably do have to learn.
In all that study did anyone ever mention that pesky Labrador Retriever sneaking into the Chinese vegetable gardens and digging up all the Bak Choi? Hence the reason to build that damn wall! They tried a virtual wall...

animals-fence-dog-china-great_wall_of_china-invisible_fence-sma0108_low.jpg

Mrs. BBD is in the kitchen baking pies for tomorrow. Sure does smell good around here.

Mmmm. The home baked pies don't arrive here until tomorrow. But I might toss a Sara Lee in the oven for the family to enjoy tonight. Son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter are on the way.

Mrs. BBD is in the kitchen baking pies for tomorrow. Sure does smell good around here.

Mmmm. The home baked pies don't arrive here until tomorrow. But I might toss a Sara Lee in the oven for the family to enjoy tonight. Son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter are on the way.

That's what I'm doing also. :)
I do the yams, cornbread and pumkin pie plus the giblets for my dressing tomorrow.

Every work day morning I get a quart of skim milk and a banana at my local supermarket. They cost me about a buck seventy five, depending on the weight of the banana. I'm in, I'm out in about three minutes.

Until this morning. The day before Thanksgiving is the second busiest day at the supermarket according to my old friend and current manager there. He told me that July 3rd is actually the busiest day at the supermarket!

Today, I waited behind four other customers with shopping carts virtually over flowing with Thanksgiving delicacies. The wait was about twenty five minutes for my milk and banana breakfast.

Lesson learned. From here on out, have breakfast at home on July 3rd and the Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving!

I do the yams, cornbread and pumkin pie plus the giblets for my dressing tomorrow.

How are you fixing your yams? I need to do a non dairy and mostly sugar free version for one of my guests tomorrow who is allergic to all dairy and is diabetic.

How are you fixing your yams? I need to do a non dairy and mostly sugar free version for one of my guests tomorrow who is allergic to all dairy and is diabetic.

I use non dairy margine (spectrum naturlas brand and fructose).

I suggest you just bake one up, like a regular potato. I love mine that way and you can offer any kind of non-dairy salad dressing. I like mine with butter and pepper, but that's out for non-dairy. Everyone else can indulge in the super sweet, yucky (IMHO) traditional method of preparation.

Use about 1/2 the amount of sugar required for fructose or it gets way to sweet.

I suggest you just bake one up, like a regular potato. I love mine that way and you can offer any kind of non-dairy salad dressing. I like mine with butter and pepper, but that's out for non-dairy. Everyone else can indulge in the super sweet, yucky (IMHO) traditional method of preparation.

I want a dish that I can feed to 9 people though--8 of them non vegans. I found a recipe that combines mashed sweet potatoes with mashed russet potatoes, sweetened with a bit of honey--a little bit shouldn't spike blood sugar--and mixed with olive oil, salt and pepper. It actually sounds good to me and looks good in the photo.

Use about 1/2 the amount of sugar required for fructose or it gets way to sweet.

I don't think fructose or sugar will work for my guest--too likely to spike blood sugar. If I don't get enough sweetener with a touch of honey, I'll supplement with stevia.

I want a dish that I can feed to 9 people though--8 of them non vegans. I found a recipe that combines mashed sweet potatoes with mashed russet potatoes, sweetened with a bit of honey--a little bit shouldn't spike blood sugar--and mixed with olive oil, salt and pepper. It actually sounds good to me and looks good in the photo.
That does appear to be a tasty dish, and not too sweet, either.
Have you ever tried colcannon? It's an Irish recipe using mashed potatoes and kale, or cabbage. It's right tasty, too!

That does appear to be a tasty dish, and not too sweet, either.
Have you ever tried colcannon? It's an Irish recipe using mashed potatoes and kale, or cabbage. It's right tasty, too!

I have had colcannon. But all my cabbage goes into the beef stew for tonight and I don't believe I've ever bought kale.

Forum List

Back