USMB Coffee Shop IV

It's colder than the contents of a witches bra here today and it's gonna get worse! Time to make a 55 gallon drum of coffee!!! How long does it take to drive to Bermuda?

So sorry BBD. 36 at our house and could warm up to 60 today. Then we're scheduled for low 60's for highs for the next couple of days before temps drop back into the 40's. Wish we could share. :)

Well I got home from the eye clinic about 2:30PM with my pupils dilated big as dimes. I went about closing all the blinds in the house because the sun was shining bright and it was unbearable. My eyes are still messed up and it's 4:35PM, and I had to miss out on a lot of great sunshine during these short days. In any case, the doctor explained to me what the floating things were in my eyes and that yes, I have a rather large one in my right eye and the remnants of one in my left, but aside from them my eyes look very healthy. I barely need any correction with both eyes the same at -1.75. Now I need to get new glasses so I can enjoy that new 4K TV I bought. I think a pair of prescription shades are in order too.

I wish I had gotten a pair of glasses that shade in bright light the last time I had my eyes checked. Sometimes it is really annoying not being able to wear sunglasses.

I decided not to have the expense of prescription shades the last go round too, but I have a pair of those sort of dark, wrap around light weight plastic shades that they give you after cataract surgery. They are cheap, available from any eye clinic, and slide right over your glasses. I use mine all the time.

It's colder than the contents of a witches bra here today and it's gonna get worse! Time to make a 55 gallon drum of coffee!!! How long does it take to drive to Bermuda?
Yep... colder'n blue blazes up nort' here, and we have another blizzard on the way for Friday/Saturday.

Sure glad I took out that patio door and installed a smaller garage door in the shop. Just popping that open and driving the JD out to snow blow worked like a charm the other day.

new%20garage%20door_zpszh5frq6p.jpg

Well I got home from the eye clinic about 2:30PM with my pupils dilated big as dimes. I went about closing all the blinds in the house because the sun was shining bright and it was unbearable. My eyes are still messed up and it's 4:35PM, and I had to miss out on a lot of great sunshine during these short days. In any case, the doctor explained to me what the floating things were in my eyes and that yes, I have a rather large one in my right eye and the remnants of one in my left, but aside from them my eyes look very healthy. I barely need any correction with both eyes the same at -1.75. Now I need to get new glasses so I can enjoy that new 4K TV I bought. I think a pair of prescription shades are in order too.

I wish I had gotten a pair of glasses that shade in bright light the last time I had my eyes checked. Sometimes it is really annoying not being able to wear sunglasses.

I decided not to have the expense of prescription shades the last go round too, but I have a pair of those sort of dark, wrap around light weight plastic shades that they give you after cataract surgery. They are cheap, available from any eye clinic, and slide right over your glasses. I use mine all the time.
I do too. Good thing is you can wear them over your glasses. Boy I'd have been sunk had I not had those yesterday, I'd have never been able to drive home.

I can get glasses from the VA eye clinic for free. They say they have prescription sun glasses so one of these days I'll drive over and see. I'd be happy with just a plain old pair of black frame Buddy Hollys... :cool-45:

Yep... colder'n blue blazes up nort' here, and we have another blizzard on the way for Friday/Saturday.

Sure glad I took out that patio door and installed a smaller garage door in the shop. Just popping that open and driving the JD out to snow blow worked like a charm the other day.

new%20garage%20door_zpszh5frq6p.jpg

This is our snow blower :)

Remote Computer Support Tips and Guide: Using Computer Duster To Clean Up Your Computer

I do too. Good thing is you can wear them over your glasses. Boy I'd have been sunk had I not had those yesterday, I'd have never been able to drive home.

I can get glasses from the VA eye clinic for free. They say they have prescription sun glasses so one of these days I'll drive over and see. I'd be happy with just a plain old pair of black frame Buddy Hollys... :cool-45:

But ahem--putting on my Mama Fox face--you should NOT be driving with your eyes dilated period. Next time go with a friend to drive you home.

We've been talking about Alaska a lot in the Coffee Shop lately. One of the things I dearly loved when we were there is that we saw bald eagles every day. But it would be one or two at most at a time. I never thought about them being flock birds, but this is a recent photo in Iowa--more than 50 of them I believe:

15349605_10154711311705775_8616705301827532728_n.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Talking of old age and floaters, I have developed a strange eye problem which is, I see wavy lines and it lasts for about twenty minutes. It happens every few days. But as long as it only lasts twenty minutes its no problem.

I am more worried about the electricity supply because the lights were flickering last night. That happens every couple of years and it usually means the electric cables in the street are burning out. The last time it happened a couple of years ago the power went off for three days. That will be nice if it happens over Christmas. Mind you it will not affect me too much because I only eat cold salads. But It will ruin most of the neighbours Christmas dinner.

The only effect it will have on me is that I will not be able to watch my new DVDs. There is nothing on the TV all over Christmas so I have stocked up on new DVD films.
I have the new Ghost busters, and the latest X-men and Star trek and the latest independence day. I also have game of thrones series six.

I should not like to be in the dark for 3 days and your plans for doing your favorite things over the holidays would be spoiled. So we will send positive vibes for a healthy electricity grid. Those cables you would think would not be so fragile.

The electric cables in our street are decades old and were not designed for modern power requirements. With the consequence that the cables burn out periodically. All they do is patch the damage. Last time it happened I wrote a letter to all the neighbours asking them to help start a campaign to have the entire hill rewired, but nobody answered me.

We've been talking about Alaska a lot in the Coffee Shop lately. One of the things I dearly loved when we were there is that we saw bald eagles every day. But it would be one or two at most at a time. I never thought about them being flock birds, but this is a recent photo in Iowa--more than 50 of them I believe:

15349605_10154711311705775_8616705301827532728_n.jpg

Incredible Photo: 55 Bald Eagles in a Single Tree

Interesting article and also shows that the photo was misrepresented at the nature site where I copied it and isn't recent at all. Oh well. It's still an amazing photo. Thanks RR.

Talking of old age and floaters, I have developed a strange eye problem which is, I see wavy lines and it lasts for about twenty minutes. It happens every few days. But as long as it only lasts twenty minutes its no problem.

I am more worried about the electricity supply because the lights were flickering last night. That happens every couple of years and it usually means the electric cables in the street are burning out. The last time it happened a couple of years ago the power went off for three days. That will be nice if it happens over Christmas. Mind you it will not affect me too much because I only eat cold salads. But It will ruin most of the neighbours Christmas dinner.

The only effect it will have on me is that I will not be able to watch my new DVDs. There is nothing on the TV all over Christmas so I have stocked up on new DVD films.
I have the new Ghost busters, and the latest X-men and Star trek and the latest independence day. I also have game of thrones series six.

I should not like to be in the dark for 3 days and your plans for doing your favorite things over the holidays would be spoiled. So we will send positive vibes for a healthy electricity grid. Those cables you would think would not be so fragile.

The electric cables in our street are decades old and were not designed for modern power requirements. With the consequence that the cables burn out periodically. All they do is patch the damage. Last time it happened I wrote a letter to all the neighbours asking them to help start a campaign to have the entire hill rewired, but nobody answered me.
That's a potential serious fire safety issue. Check out the Institute of Environmental Health (supposedly they have something to do with housing fire safety and the HHSRS), contact your local fire department and contact you local PM's office. If your government is anything like ours it'll probably take multiple letters, emails, etc to finally get someone's attention, focus on the fire safety issue and you might get a quicker response but don't expect immediate results. Heck you might even get some pushback, so save copies of all your correspondence, document, document, document then if all else fails you can try the legal route or even the media (press) route but be careful with the latter, that can be a double edged sword.

Last edited:
We're off to pick up Subway sandwiches, have lunch with Aunt Betty and pick up Carly, the mini doxie, for the next several days. Busy day all of a sudden.

So, I passed my test and am now a certified food service manager. I took the test at Falkner State, proctored by the head of their culinary program. There were 3 taking the test, 2 of Chef Brandon's students and myself. I managed the highest score and was somewhat disappointed before I got my results. Certificate is printed and hanging on the wall at Doc's

I just used FF's ad, and inserted a pic as well as added the following:

2vdf8sg.jpg

Rarely use kitchen but will on occasion. And of course, will invite you to share in dining with us when we do...sans butler if you can't furnish one.

Need a place ASAP.

Quiet, clean, prompt paying rent, excellent references.

Forum List

Back