USMB Coffee Shop IV

We've been talking about Alaska a lot in the Coffee Shop lately. One of the things I dearly loved when we were there is that we saw bald eagles every day. But it would be one or two at most at a time. I never thought about them being flock birds, but this is a recent photo in Iowa--more than 50 of them I believe:

15349605_10154711311705775_8616705301827532728_n.jpg
They're a very common sight here in SW WI along the Wisconsin river. I had just turned a corner on a back road and a Bald Eagle had just taken flight and flew straight towards my truck. I slowed because I didn't know what it was up to and didn't want to hit it. It literally flew right over the hood of the Tahoe. If I'd have only had a dash cam. I've been thinking about getting one.

Last edited:
We've been talking about Alaska a lot in the Coffee Shop lately. One of the things I dearly loved when we were there is that we saw bald eagles every day. But it would be one or two at most at a time. I never thought about them being flock birds, but this is a recent photo in Iowa--more than 50 of them I believe:

They're a very common sight here in SW WI along the Wisconsin river. I had just turned a corner on a back road and a Bald Eagle had just taken flight and flew and straight towards my truck. I slowed because I didn't know what it was up to and didn't want to hit it. I literally flew right over the hood of the Tahoe. If I'd have only had a dash cam. I've been thinking about getting one.

Our peregrine falcons and turkey buzzards does the same thing.
The roadrunners make it a game of who's faster. :) usually they are, if not they just fly away.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Is that what Cortana does? I have been ignoring it on my computer ever since upgrading to Win 10. But every now and then it says ask me anything.

Ma'am all I done was right click on the picture of the eagles and followed the yellow brick road... The "ask me anything" in my Nav bar has been worn out and replaced twice as I am no rocket surgeon...

They're a very common sight here in SW WI along the Wisconsin river. I had just turned a corner on a back road and a Bald Eagle had just taken flight and flew straight towards my truck. I slowed because I didn't know what it was up to and didn't want to hit it. It literally flew right over the hood of the Tahoe. If I'd have only had a dash cam. I've been thinking about getting one.

I suppose one flies into New Mexico now and then but I've never seen one here. For us it is as Peach said, the falcons, an aggressive hawk or owl now and then, and golden eagles.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Sad to inform you, they are scavengers. If there's a place where food is readily available, they will congregate in large numbers. In Eagle River, they feed them at the VFW. They will also dine on housecats and small dogs left outside.

Hey, I do CL when I'm looking for deals. Found a couple lately. Should I post a look-see for some ole fogies lookin' to take care of goats?
They will be there this spring, Ima thinkin'.
Just pay attention to my weather updates. It's been in the minus temps up in Willow with little snow to help insulate. But I will admit, the cabin is warm and cozy. But coming up in the summer is not a bad trip because it's usually pretty nice here. I'll still have the trailer, which will give everyone some room to spread out until a second cabin can be built.

The last final was this morning. Now I'll have to grade it and post my grades to Blackboard. I promised my paperwork by Friday and plan on sticking to that. That way, I won't have all this paperwork hanging over me like a black storm cloud for the next week, or so.
I think I have one more semester of teaching left before I "retire". I'll have been doing this University thing for 17 years this coming semester. But moving to Willow makes it absolutely impractical to drive to Anchorage for a 3-4 hour class twice a week.
It's been bitterly cold these last few days. I dread going to work because my tired, old body just doesn't seem to deal with this kind of cold as well as it once did. I did secure some of my heavy duty cold weather gear from the cabin this weekend, though. Boots, pants, etc. are no big problem but I do have a tough time keeping my hands warm.

We had to take the ad out. I keep getting the same guy trolling me telling us to just kill ourselves and do the world a favor with one less set of "ni****". Yes, I reported his neverending trolling, but CL doesn't care. So now I have no way to advertise without being bombarded with this jerks responses via their email system. It protects the trolls and does nothing for the ones placing ads.

So....not sure what to do next. Might put an ad in and keep it simple, THEN if they sound legit, mention the spouse and dog.

When does spring hit your area, GW? Maybe you will get lucky and have a short winter? It sounds positively painful, the cold you are experiencing.:(

Sad to inform you, they are scavengers. If there's a place where food is readily available, they will congregate in large numbers. In Eagle River, they feed them at the VFW. They will also dine on housecats and small dogs left outside.

In other words they behave as birds of prey behave. Not so much in the city, but out on the mountain it took a very smart cat to survive the owls, golden eagles, foxes, and coyotes to live to adulthood, and even the adults had to keep an eye out. And it was wise not to have a small outdoor dog. There were a few who hated the predators, but dang it, they just do what they do. I can't understand why those who don't wish to co-exist with the wildlife would move into an area with a lot of it.

In Alaska I was thrilled to watch a bald eagle fly across the river and snatch what looked to me like a large salmon. Scavengers or not they are magnificent.

The last final was this morning. Now I'll have to grade it and post my grades to Blackboard. I promised my paperwork by Friday and plan on sticking to that. That way, I won't have all this paperwork hanging over me like a black storm cloud for the next week, or so.
I think I have one more semester of teaching left before I "retire". I'll have been doing this University thing for 17 years this coming semester. But moving to Willow makes it absolutely impractical to drive to Anchorage for a 3-4 hour class twice a week.
It's been bitterly cold these last few days. I dread going to work because my tired, old body just doesn't seem to deal with this kind of cold as well as it once did. I did secure some of my heavy duty cold weather gear from the cabin this weekend, though. Boots, pants, etc. are no big problem but I do have a tough time keeping my hands warm.

How about real fur lined gloves.
These guys are in Canada, may not cost as much to fly an order up to you. :)
Mens Winter Gloves & Mittens: FurHatWorld.comyy
I have fox fur lined gloves. Works great.

Mine are rabbit fur, but if its the real deal, fur is fur and it does keep you warmer.

I have been a long time Bev Doolittle, eclectic artist, fan and post this one for anybody who is bored this evening or to keep our night owls entertained.

15319166_1141235052662786_3567771335002586376_n.jpg

In other words they behave as birds of prey behave. Not so much in the city, but out on the mountain it took a very smart cat to survive the owls, golden eagles, foxes, and coyotes to live to adulthood, and even the adults had to keep an eye out. And it was wise not to have a small outdoor dog. There were a few who hated the predators, but dang it, they just do what they do. I can't understand why those who don't wish to co-exist with the wildlife would move into an area with a lot of it.

In Alaska I was thrilled to watch a bald eagle fly across the river and snatch what looked to me like a large salmon. Scavengers or not they are magnificent.

We have wild birdseed blocks and every once in awhile. I catch a glimpse of a falcon swoop down on a bird setting on top of the food block eating. They are fast.

Mine are rabbit fur, but if its the real deal, fur is fur and it does keep you warmer.

I'm allergic to rabbit fur and wool :)

Commuting wouldn't be a problem if you taught online classes. ;)

I have some too, I just don't like wasting them on the chemicals at work.

Commuting wouldn't be a problem if you taught online classes. ;)
Things are moving in that direction. Out class material is dictated by the FAA, though. That means we are subject to the whims of government. I'd love having on-line classes. For all intents and purpose, they already are on-line.

Forum List

Back