USMB Coffee Shop IV

Wow... Next Sunday morning when I wake up it will be Christmas morning! Santa will have made his rounds and there will be many happy children world-wide. There will be good smells flowing out of many kitchens as Christmas dinner will be in the makings. The world will be a good place. Peace On earth and goodwill to all men. That's the ticket. Why can't Christmas live in the hearts of men year round? We would be better off for it. I shall now go get a slice of fruit cake and a cup of coffee and ponder this thought for a spell. Then I'll watch the Packer/Bears game and snooze off and on in my recliner! Gonna be a quiet Sunday around here today. Life is good.

I have looked for several months trying to find a good used reasonably priced snow blower. The shorter time frame needed to payback the investment the better in my small landscape business. Bought a Snapper 22" two stage 5.5 hp Saturday. It is not as big (24") or as powerful (6.5 hp) or a few other details, but it was owned by someone I trust to sell me a good one, was local and is more maneuverable. As long as I can find replacement parts when needed it should be fine.

My ribs are healing at an annoyingly slow pace. In six days I have to be play-on[-the-floor ready for Harper and Ellie. Mrs. Liberty and I are hopefully going to pull most of the Christmas decorations together today. Get some wrapping in and cards sent. As always a race to the final hours.

You remain on the list until you're completely well. And yes ribs sometimes seem to take forever.

Very chilly (high 20's) but sunny and almost no wind today. We aren't supposed to warm up a lot today but to be rid of those severe wind chills is sufficient. I mean it is mid December and it is supposed to be cold in December.

Just watched the musical version of a Christmas carol with Albert Finney. I must admit it brought a tear to my eye. I saw the Disney animated version with Jim Carey the other day, and was mesmerised by the graphics.

Just watched the musical version of a Christmas carol with Albert Finney. I must admit it brought a tear to my eye. I saw the Disney animated version with Jim Carey the other day, and was mesmerised by the graphics.
the Albert Finney one is my favorite. :thup:

Hombre and I watched the Jim Carey version a couple of nights ago and honestly we didn't like it. He finally walked out on it. I watched it to the end, but was disappointed on how they didn't bring out more strongly the more heart warming aspects of the story. The special effects became annoying to me. They went on too long dragging down the story line and eating up time that could have been used telling more of the story. For me, Disney that did such a superb job with "Cinderella' missed the mark with "A Christmas Carol."

The best done of all in my taste was the 1984 version with George C. Scott playing Scrooge. The cast was brilliant, the special effects just right and as well done as any I have seen, and the story in the spirit of Dickens' tale came shining through.

Hombre and I watched the Jim Carey version a couple of nights ago and honestly we didn't like it. He finally walked out on it. I watched it to the end, but was disappointed on how they didn't bring out more strongly the more heart warming aspects of the story. The special effects became annoying to me. They went on too long dragging down the story line and eating up time that could have been used telling more of the story. For me, Disney that did such a superb job with "Cinderella' missed the mark with "A Christmas Carol."

The best done of all in my taste was the 1984 version with George C. Scott playing Scrooge. The cast was brilliant, the special effects just right and as well done as any I have seen, and the story in the spirit of Dickens' tale came shining through.

Yea, I can see your point about the Jim Carey version, but the fact is it was all animation so you cannot call it special effects. I think you will have to admit the scenes where they fly over London were high quality. The animation was so good it almost seemed real. But then many big films with live actors are mostly computer animation now day's. I just watched 'Jurassic World' on DVD and obviously the dinosaurs are animated. Then I recently watched, 'Gods of Egypt' which had live actors flying over ancient Roman cities. Its quite incredible what they can do now.

Yea, it almost made me want to give away my gold sovereigns. But I am not quite that weak in the head.
I remember thinking at the end of the film, Scrooge will be counting the cost on boxing day.
In any case my sovereigns are to pay for my funeral, because I don't want my sister to have to pay for it.

Yea, I can see your point about the Jim Carey version, but the fact is it was all animation so you cannot call it special effects. I think you will have to admit the scenes where they fly over London were high quality. The animation was so good it almost seemed real. But then many big films with live actors are mostly computer animation now day's. I just watched 'Jurassic World' on DVD and obviously the dinosaurs are animated. Then I recently watched, 'Gods of Egypt' which had live actors flying over ancient Roman cities. Its quite incredible what they can do now.

I'll concede the animation was great. You often had to look close to determine if it was animation or an actual actor/actress.

Same with Disney's latest version of "Cinderella" that did use actual actors and actresses interwoven so skillfully with animation that I was doing a lot of double takes to determine which was which.

It was interesting though that there were a lot of real horses in "Cinderella" and not a gelding or stallion in the bunch. Even those that were referred to as 'he" were mares.

Yea, it almost made me want to give away my gold sovereigns. But I am not quite that weak in the head.
I remember thinking at the end of the film, Scrooge will be counting the cost on boxing day.
In any case my sovereigns are to pay for my funeral, because I don't want my sister to have to pay for it.

We will hope that event is in the very distant future. You might even have acquired some you wouldn't need and could give away by then. :)

Howdy USMB Coffee Shop PEEPS!

Hiya Boe. How's everything in your part of the world?

Rather Groovetabular, hun.

I decorated our house a week ago, and am really enjoying a calm and cozy Christmas season. It's the first time in a few years that we haven't had a construction or painting project - or some family or work drama to conflict with holiday enjoyment.

Right now, I'm diggin' on the Carpenters' "Close to You" special on KQED. Funny enough, our first Christmas in our house, the same special was on while I decorated our tree.

Howdy USMB Coffee Shop PEEPS!

Hiya Boe. How's everything in your part of the world?

Rather Groovetabular, hun.

I decorated our house a week ago, and am really enjoying a calm and cozy Christmas season. It's the first time in a few years that we haven't had a construction or painting project - or some family or work drama to conflict with holiday enjoyment.

Right now, I'm diggin' on the Carpenters' "Close to You" special on KQED. Funny enough, our first Christmas in our house, the same special was on while I decorated our tree.

Sounds great. We're looking forward to a quiet and uncomplicated Christmas this year. The kids won't be home and though we'll miss that, it does definitely allow for more free time to just be. I am looking forward to a Christmas in which everybody is well, we have no serious pending issues, no major complications, etc. Dinner with local loved ones Christmas Eve, a come and go thing at my sister's Christmas Day and then just kick back. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm looking into either a simple pine box or a cheap cremation service, total funeral cost for less than $600, as for burial It depends where we end up and which VA Cemetery is closest.
If I knew my time had arrived I would simply head into the mountains in the dead of winter, find a nice spot, lay down and never wake up again. Now that's what I call recycling......... :D

I'd like my funeral to be held early in the morning, preferably on a foggy morning. I want a piper in full Campbell tartan on the slope opposite my grave. As they lower me into my final resting place, I'd like the attendees to hear the pipes playing Issac Hayes' Theme from Shaft.

Forum List

Back