USMB Coffee Shop IV

The weather since Christmas has conspired to keep my brother from seasoning the Weber Smoky Mountain cooker I bought him for Christmas. The procedure is simple enough. Put hot charcoal briquettes in the bottom, add a few chunks of hickory, put a pound of sliced bacon on the cooking rack and monitor the temperature so you could get to know what to expect.

After this initial seasoning, the oils coating the interior are supposed to burn away, the bacon smoke and fat seal up any holes invisible to the naked eye, and the smoker is ready to cook any and all manner of meats, cheeses, nuts, fish or anything else.

But sub freezing temperatures one day followed by cold, icy rain the next have kept him from this important first step. This weekend though...

He is quite the gourmand, my baby brother. His fascination with cooking shows and his appetite for really good food has made him an accomplished amateur chef. Together, he and I have roasted more than a dozen whole hogs. But this smoker will provide him the means to cook up batches of ribs, a slew of beef brisket, and, coupled with the big Kitchen Aide mixer I got him a few years back along with all the cool attachments, smoke sausages by the yard!

He can't top my chili though. I learned a few things during a project I had in Texas back in the late 1980s and, between the Houston influences and a side trip to New Orleans, I think I have chili down pat.

And so, with ulterior reasons not so thinly disguised, I got him the "Cadillac of Smokers"! My mouth is already watering.

Not too bad for a couple of Yinzers from Pittsburgh! Our part of the nation is not renown for a barbeque tradition. Pittsburgher tend to just put French Fries on everything, from salads to sandwiches, and call it 'local cuisine'. Later this month. we are going to dine on southern barbeque at 40 degrees north latitude.

Looks like I'm going into town tomorrow to pay bills and get my mail.
I'm still getting calls and waiting for calls. I'm waiting for a call from his Regular M.D. here in Benson.
Also changing my turtels water and cleaning the filter. :)

The weather since Christmas has conspired to keep my brother from seasoning the Weber Smoky Mountain cooker I bought him for Christmas. The procedure is simple enough. Put hot charcoal briquettes in the bottom, add a few chunks of hickory, put a pound of sliced bacon on the cooking rack and monitor the temperature so you could get to know what to expect.

After this initial seasoning, the oils coating the interior are supposed to burn away, the bacon smoke and fat seal up any holes invisible to the naked eye, and the smoker is ready to cook any and all manner of meats, cheeses, nuts, fish or anything else.

But sub freezing temperatures one day followed by cold, icy rain the next have kept him from this important first step. This weekend though...

He is quite the gourmand, my baby brother. His fascination with cooking shows and his appetite for really good food has made him an accomplished amateur chef. Together, he and I have roasted more than a dozen whole hogs. But this smoker will provide him the means to cook up batches of ribs, a slew of beef brisket, and, coupled with the big Kitchen Aide mixer I got him a few years back along with all the cool attachments, smoke sausages by the yard!

He can't top my chili though. I learned a few things during a project I had in Texas back in the late 1980s and, between the Houston influences and a side trip to New Orleans, I think I have chili down pat.

And so, with ulterior reasons not so thinly disguised, I got him the "Cadillac of Smokers"! My mouth is already watering.

Not too bad for a couple of Yinzers from Pittsburgh! Our part of the nation is not renown for a barbeque tradition. Pittsburgher tend to just put French Fries on everything, from salads to sandwiches, and call it 'local cuisine'. Later this month. we are going to dine on southern barbeque at 40 degrees north latitude.

Ah pittsburgh.
My husband was born in Kane County, Pennsylvania.

Ah pittsburgh.
Is Kane County in the north central part of PA?

Ah pittsburgh.

Not exactly sure.
I think its North West though.

Ah pittsburgh.

Not exactly sure.
He was born at home, not a hospital.
That's why I said county.

Damien one of the Fire Dept EM just came by.
He said he lost his Finger Probe Pulse ox meter.
We looked around but could not find it.
He is a real nice young man.
I hope he finds it.
I don't know if they have to pay for lost equipment or not.

Morning everyone.

Today I have to take care of business in town so I'm not going up to see him today.
I know he is in good hands and I need to do some me time today.
He is throughly enjoying himself, flirtng wth the nurses and teasing them, now that he's out of so much pain. :)
I could not really do much but sit there and be in the way. When you have long term illness you learn when to pick and choose your battles. :)
They have him in the Post Critical room, not in Itensive Care.
They have to move him every two hours and when a team of four come in, I had to get out into the hall, so they had the room.
When he gets out of surgery after a couple more days, he will be moved to the Cardiac Observation room. I can help a littte more then.

When I called for the ambulance on Sun. he was sitting on his walker outside on the front pourch.
When they put him down on the porch to work on him, that's when he went into full heart attack.
I took the walker to put back into the house to get it out of their way.
Well ,we just got a new screen door installed on Thusday and they put in a black step that I'm not used to yet.
I hit the front wheels of the walker and that stopped it dead in it's track.
I went down hard on my knees , but by holding onto the walker, I was able to control my fall just enough to hit the right side of my knees rather than the knee caps.
I scared the Emergency responders, they thought they might have had to treat me too for broken knee caps.
Boy would that have been fun,me with a broken knee cap or caps and helping him to recover when he gets home.

I managed to fall on the right side of each knee on the bigger side bone of each one.
I went down the hardest on the left knee and scraped the right knee.
I need to get the left knee swelling down this morning. It's a pretty bad bruise. Better that bigger side bone took it and not my knee caps.

So happy that you didn't seriously injure yourself but sorry you had any injury at all. Few, if any, of us are at our best during the stress and complete fear especially when dealing with a life threatening crisis of a loved one.

But there is much to be grateful for and much reason for optimism and encouragement--that skilled medical help was available, as you describe it a superb team at the hospital, relief from the dreadful pain and ability to have fun with the experience. . .

And the surgery he faces is so routine now that though all surgery is a concern, the probability of success is practically guaranteed. There is much to dislike in some of the processes of healthcare these days, but how much medicine and procedures have improved over 20-50 years ago is such a blessing for so many of us.

Nevertheless, I think we'll keep the two of you on the critical vigil list at least through the surgery. :)

Yes heart surgery has come a long way and he more than likely will get through this. He's a strong fighter.
It depends on what they find when they get in there.
He had a coronary when he was 33.
That was 3 years before I met him. We have been together for 33 years.
The fight was to keep him from more.
As a team we kept it at bay for a total of 36 years.
Hopefully for lots more years again in the future, after this is all over.

Last edited:
Morning everyone.

Today I have to take care of business in town so I'm not going up to see him today.
He is throughly enjoying himself, flirtng wth the nurses and teasing them, now that he's out of so much pain. :)
I could not really do much but sit there and be in the way. When you have long term illness you learn when to pick and choose your battles. :)
They have to move him every two hours and when a team of four come in, I had to get out into the hall, so they had the room.
When he gets out of surgery after a couple more days, he will be moved to the Cardiac Observation room. I can help a littte more then.

When I called for the ambulance on Sun. he was sitting on his walker outside on the front pourch.
When they put him down on the porch to work on him, that's when he went into full heart attack.
Well ,we just got a new screen door installed on Thusday and they put in a black step that I'm not used to yet.
I went down hard on my knees , but by holding onto the walker, I was able to control my fall just enough to hit the right side of my knees rather than the knee caps.
I scared the Emergency responders, they thought they might have had to treat me too for broken knee caps.
Boy would that have been fun,me with a broken knee cap or caps and helping him to recover when he gets home.

I managed to fall on the right side of each knee on the bigger side bone of each one.
I need to get the left knee swelling down this morning. It's a pretty bad bruise. Better that bigger side bone took it and not my knee caps.
True, that, Peach. Bigger bones take a lot more punishment than smaller ones, and a torn or dislocated meniscus can be a lot more trouble to heal up than bruised bones. Still, it's more than you need, or deserve (most likely). Most intense good thoughts and wishes still coming your, and Mr. P's way.

Ah pittsburgh.

Not exactly sure.
A google search later and I found out there is no Kane County in Pennsylvania but there is a Kane, Pennsylvania and it's in McKean County. That's a particularly beautiful part of the commonwealth, nestled in the Allegheny mountains in the heart of the snowbelt. North west Pennsylvania up east of Edinbough and Meadville.

Since the partner has been sidelined, we have spent some portion of almost every week up in Willow. It now becomes clear how much more firewood we will need, living here full-time. A friend of mine told his grandfather's rule of thumb was to cut and stack enough firewood to fill the house and that should be enough for a "normal" winter. So, this afternoon, I dug some seasoned spruce out of the snow and stacked it, ready to cut to stove lengths. Next week, the partner will go to our "wood lot" where we have a load of birch stacked and seasoned. It will still have to be cut to length and some of it split, but the 5 cords I laid up this fall will not make it much longer.
Our temps have been fairly normal, for this time of year. Above 0F, but barely. No more significant snow, actually the snow has been pretty insignificant this year, so far. But the frost has been brutal. Since the sun rises barely high enough to clear the tree tops, we've been using the generator more, too. I'm hoping the partner will finally begin to see the virtues of windpower. There's more wind than one would think, tucked down in the forest like we are, and there isn't really enough sunlight to power the solar system very effectively.

Back when I was heating with wood all the old timers used to say you never split and stacked to much wood for the future...Never want to leave your wife's next husband set up with to much wood...

Morning everyone.

True, that, Peach. Bigger bones take a lot more punishment than smaller ones, and a torn or dislocated meniscus can be a lot more trouble to heal up than bruised bones. Still, it's more than you need, or deserve (most likely). Most intense good thoughts and wishes still coming your, and Mr. P's way.

Well I learned how to fall from the expert ,my husband in how to fall and not hurt yourself.
The man has fallen a gazillion times since 78 from his MS.

There really is no excuse but to be honest and tell you all I'm a clutz sometimes.
Even when I was a kid I would hook my little toes on chairs and tabel legs.
Sometimes I accidently cut myself with a sharp knife in the kitchen.
Still it's rare and few times over the years.
My left little toe was broken so many times it was curled, by the time I was 30.
My 175lb. Mastiff accidently stepped on it and rebroke it but it's flat again now. :)

Ah pittsburgh.

Not exactly sure.
A google search later and I found out there is no Kane County in Pennsylvania but there is a Kane, Pennsylvania and it's in McKean County. That's a particularly beautiful part of the commonwealth, nestled in the Allegheny mountains in the heart of the snowbelt. North west Pennsylvania up east of Edinbough and Meadville.

Yes, that's correct.
I couldn't remember.
McKean County.
Kane is the town they had to go to register his birth.

Forum List

Back