USMB Coffee Shop IV

I am getting me a new car, my 98 ford taurs is still going strong but it's too hard for Mr.P to get in and out of.
Plus his walker doesnt fit very well in the backseat or trunk.
I need a bigger midsize one with lots of leg room.
I love the Taurus in all the years I've had her only the gas fuel pump needed to be replaced, and that was a year or so ago in Nov. of 2015.
I bought her in 2002.
I'm thinking a compact myself.

061110_monster_smart_car_2.jpg

:thup:

When I watch TV I look for the following:

1 - national and international news (PBS etc.)
2 - local news
3 - documentaries (Frontline, AmerExperience, etc)
4 - Nature & animals
5 - Crime documentaries
6 - Crime dramas (Criminal Minds, etc)
7 - national sports (playoffs mostly)
8 - local sports (Raiders soon moving to Las Vegas)

And NOT the crap called reality shows like Game Of Thrones.

Game of Thrones is not a reality show and it is not crap but rather an extremely successful and acclaimed drama series. I don't watch it because I do not enjoy violence, but I respect those who do enjoy it.

Your list is a pretty good one. On the other hand I do enjoy come of the reality shows like "Ice Road Truckers", "Deadliest Catch", "Survivor" etc. which may or may not classify as crap and also many of the competition shows--"The Voice" and "America's Got Talent" and "Hell's Kitchen" and "American Ninja Warrior" etc. which also may or may not qualify as crap.
I am fond of what I refer to as "costume dramas", like "Downtown Abbey", "The Tudors", "Poldark", as well as fantasy shows like "Game of Thrones". So-called "reality" shows, like "Ice Road Truckers" and others of similar genre are just boring crap. I mean, how dangerous, or real, can things get when there are film crews and production units everywhere?

I know. But what they do is real so it is interesting to me though it wasn't so interesting until I got to know the drivers better. Same with Deadliest Catch--it would take a brave television crew to go out on those boats and it does get tedious at times, but it is still fascinating to me. So I have a hard time seeing it as crap though you aren't alone in that sentiment. :)

I doubt either show will survive now because the main star of Ice Road Truckers was Darrell Ward who was killed in an airplane crash last summer and the main star of Deadliest Catch was Sig Hanson who had a serious heart attack last season and I doubt will be back.
You have a whole different perspective when you live where their "reality" takes place, I suppose. I drive frozen, dangerous roads daily. When in the Army, I used ice roads when necessary. I've never fished, but there are other "reality" shows, like the "Bush People" that are unmitigated Bull.

Oh I know. Some of the Bear Grylls reality shows are almost absurd making it look so difficult for the folks doing presumably dangerous stuff, but there is a TV camera right there on them. :)

But Ice Road Truckers driving hundreds of miles through isolated country and Deadliest Catch are real people doing real jobs and I can't explain why it is interesting to me, but it is.

We've done our share of dangerous roads too, both up on the mountain during winters where there was a lot of snow on the ground, at least until the last prolonged drought, and working around the state, we drove on snow, ice, inches of hail, etc. many times. But not as an everyday thing as you do.
I thought the road up to the Gila Cliff Dwellings was pretty hair-raising.

Mrg loves his van. You might consider a mini van? Take back seats out (easy to do cuz I did by myself..They just roll out), easy to get in the car and out of it, plenty of room for walkers and other needed stuff. His van holds more than the truck did...Plus it has a drp down seat that makes into a bed!

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Why would someone cheat themselves out of the assembly?

When you get to be our age, you'll understand. :)

Doubtful, I should accumulate more tools by then, so I'll be even more prepared. :)

That isn't a bad idea actually. One of the problems is Hombre has a lot of good tools but doesn't have the metric size needed for this chair. And he's too stubborn to go buy one just for one job so he has been trying to use the teensy little thing with almost no grip space the company sent with the screws. Our neighbor across the street who does ANYTHING mechanical has all the tools anybody would never need--plus he is still young and strong-- and will surely help us get these things together but he won't be available until Thursday.
That's Murphy's Law for tools, regardless of how many tools you have, you will always be missing the ONE tool you need to finish the job.

Meanwhile, mrg and I just finished sawing those huge branches into firewood that fell during that last storm. Now I am all sappy and itchy, but they have firewood to keep themselves warm while we freeze out here in the RV. At least they are allowing us to use it until we head up north...So that's a plus. I guess. My sappy hands hurt and mrgs knees are throbbing, but between the two of us, we got er Dunn.

Our new housemate called us last night for advice on how to tarp his roof since a new storm is heading his way...And we told him what to do until we can get there to help. No rest for the weary, but soon we will be in a real house in our own room...Bar nothing bad happens between now and then.

Sorry!
Correction needed here ,as I checked over what I wrote.
I was so tired that I used hubbies nickname ( vest )for the outside pacemaker that will be strapped on around his chest :)
No wonder at the confusion here. :)

This morning he was told only 1/4 th of his heart is working right now.

That's with the pacemaker?

Yes

I know that's tearing you apart Peach, but we are dealing still with our dear friend Dana here who is in even worse shape with an ailing heart and is hanging in there. There is every reason for optimism. And the prayers will continue.

Thank you.
Lets pray extra hard for them both. :)
It's just a waite and see time right now.
Very difficult.
You guys have it from the Frozen North!

Meanwhile, mrg and I just finished sawing those huge branches into firewood that fell during that last storm. Now I am all sappy and itchy, but they have firewood to keep themselves warm while we freeze out here in the RV. At least they are allowing us to use it until we head up north...So that's a plus. I guess. My sappy hands hurt and mrgs knees are throbbing, but between the two of us, we got er Dunn.

Our new housemate called us last night for advice on how to tarp his roof since a new storm is heading his way...And we told him what to do until we can get there to help. No rest for the weary, but soon we will be in a real house in our own room...Bar nothing bad happens between now and then.

See Gracie
I said I felt that things would work out for you all after the New Year!

I am getting me a new car, my 98 ford taurs is still going strong but it's too hard for Mr.P to get in and out of.
I love the Taurus in all the years I've had her only the gas fuel pump needed to be replaced, and that was a year or so ago in Nov. of 2015.
I bought her in 2002.

I would recommend something like a Subaru Forester. Not as comfortable as the Taurus for sure--I also loved our Taurus for that reason--but it is AWD for your bad roads and you can easily get a walker or wheelchair or whatever you need to transport in the back--usually without putting down the rear seat but there is that option. And they are not expensive cars but it is hard to find a good used one because most of us drive them forever when we get them.

I'm thinking of a Kia Soul or Fiesta or Fusion 2017 new not used.

Dyna Glo 9,000 - 15,000-BTU Liquid Propane Heater Single Tank Top Match Light, TT15CDGP - Walmart.com

839541a7-ad48-4957-89d0-ff3d5cba49f2_1.2f85dd0607b4d7e17e5ad6c53d6c5729.jpeg

Dyna-Glo 40K Liquid Propane 360-Degree Tank Top Heater - Walmart.com

d9a3fcf3-a168-4158-93ac-eac0e813e139_1.ffef5c4f5e70c12f94c8b9511bf76455.jpeg

You should look at these. Don't know what you can afford. There are smaller ones that use the little propane bottles.

I bought her in 2002.

I would recommend something like a Subaru Forester. Not as comfortable as the Taurus for sure--I also loved our Taurus for that reason--but it is AWD for your bad roads and you can easily get a walker or wheelchair or whatever you need to transport in the back--usually without putting down the rear seat but there is that option. And they are not expensive cars but it is hard to find a good used one because most of us drive them forever when we get them.

Too bad they don't make these anymore.

1958_BMW_600.jpg

1958_BMW_600_30806.jpg

1958 BMW 600.

I bought her in 2002.

Pretty sure the hamsters are optional, read the fine print.

Dyna Glo 9,000 - 15,000-BTU Liquid Propane Heater Single Tank Top Match Light, TT15CDGP - Walmart.com

839541a7-ad48-4957-89d0-ff3d5cba49f2_1.2f85dd0607b4d7e17e5ad6c53d6c5729.jpeg

Dyna-Glo 40K Liquid Propane 360-Degree Tank Top Heater - Walmart.com

d9a3fcf3-a168-4158-93ac-eac0e813e139_1.ffef5c4f5e70c12f94c8b9511bf76455.jpeg

You should look at these. Don't know what you can afford. There are smaller ones that use the little propane bottles.
I just read through some literature on these, these models are outdoor use only!!!
The indoor ones typically run from around $90 to $160.

This one is safe for indoors and will heat 200 sq ft.

Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Heater - Walmart.com

35d92ab7-eabf-4b18-8a88-ded78a47d8bf_1.5b2a0c55ff8b56e08ccb39d3942f6acc.jpeg

I thought you might be at that point, but it is not time to throw in the towel for sure. I would certainly get a second, third, fourth opinion before accepting a verdict like that. In my own situation, three doctors ducked my situation because of the inherent dangers in it. But I managed to get referred to my wonderful surgeon who laid it all out there--all the risks and his concerns but was willing to try. I still believe God delayed the process until I saw the best person to deal with it. And now I'm fine.

You expect me to believe you are fine?

:disbelief:

:eusa_angel:

Yes. I am fine, okay, well, intact, well, mostly. :)
A truthful answer for those our age, Foxy.

Just got a call from Mr.P, he says the tests show only 15% of his heart is working.
They are putting a life vest on him that will monitor him and shock his heart if it stops.
They will hook him up sometime tomorrow and release him maybe tomorrow or for sure Thursday.
He will be doing home therapy rehab.
The Doc says about 50% of his heart is still asleep and needs time to heal and recover from the 2 extreme hard heart attacks that he had that Sunday.
That is how good the paramedic team of four was. They performed a miracle in keeping him alive. A less experienced team , the Doc at TMC said ,probably would not have been able to do what they did. His blood pressure was at 58.
If they can't do a bypass they said there are other options that can be done.

Just got a call from Mr.P, he says the tests show only 15% of his heart is working.
They are putting a life vest on him that will monitor him and shock his heart if it stops.
They will hook him up sometime tomorrow and release him maybe tomorrow or for sure Thursday.
The Doc says about 50% of his heart is still asleep and needs time to heal and recover from the 2 extreme hard heart attacks that he had that Sunday.
That is how good the paramedic team of four was. They performed a miracle in keeping him alive. A less experienced team , the Doc at TMC said ,probably would not have been able to do what they did. His blood pressure was at 58.
Gosh, Peach, I'm not sure to celebrate your news or wonder how things will turn out. Maybe both? At any rate, I'll keep sending my most heartfelt and fervent good thoughts your (and MrP's) way. Best to both of you.

I bought her in 2002.

Too bad they don't make these anymore.

1958_BMW_600.jpg

1958_BMW_600_30806.jpg

1958 BMW 600.

I remember seeing one of those, probably through a store window, and wondering if it was real. :p

Monument Men. I just rented it at the library. I liked it. Google it to see what it's about. I hate typing on this cell phone.

Ringel....We have survived these months, we can do it a little longer but than you. I already checked into tent heaters when we first started living in the van. The RV is a tad warmer, but we also have more room to cover up with many thrift store blankets we bought...Coccoon style[emoji6].

In less than a month, we will have a wall heater for our very own. Gas heater! Gas is much cheaper and we are stoked it is in our room.

Gosh, Peach, I'm not sure to celebrate your news or wonder how things will turn out. Maybe both? At any rate, I'll keep sending my most heartfelt and fervent good thoughts your (and MrP's) way. Best to both of you.

I defiantly will be busy making sure he walks around the house a little at a time.
I'm sure when I pick him up they will have all of the diet foods and how much up and down time will be needed.
He read some on the list of foods. I already have half of it in the freezer. :)

Forum List

Back