🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning lovely people! Nice day here with a high of 78! Getting ready to go to my daughter's on the coast very early Friday morning.

Fresno's weather will be nice for Easter, theirs will be crappy and rain ....oh well it's an easy choice.

Alone in nice weather in Fresno on Easter or with loved ones in Monterey and crappy weather....

I choose Fresno...just kidding. :)

Last edited:
C9Mxa19XUAQLdfe.jpg

Hey Ringel, computer question: I can't get my Windows 7 PC to see my Linux PCs. I can connect to them, and the Linux PCs can see the Windows PC fine, but when I open the network places on the Windows PC, nothing shows up. I have to run \\ to connect to the Linux machines. Do you have any idea why that's the case? I've never had a problem with my Vista PC seeing the Linux machines on the network. :dunno:
How to Enable File Sharing & Change the Workgroup in Ubuntu Linux | Digital Citizen

Hope this helps.

Oh and make sure they're all on the same network. If it's set for 'Public' in Windows that may be your problem.

Samba is installed, workgroup name is the same, Win 7 is set to workgroup rather than homegroup. I can share files, the problem is just that the Linux machines don't show up in the list when I open the network page on Win 7. It's odd more than problematic. Vista never had this issue.

Good morning all. Slept in again this morning and enjoyed that immensely.

I have mentioned that our dear friend Dana is in Salt Lake City awaiting a heart to be available for a heart transplant. She will be there however long it takes for a suitable heart to be available and then there will be up to six months of recuperation and rehabilitation before she can come home.

She's on the vigil list and I would appreciate prayers and good vibes/positive thoughts directed her way.

Meanwhile we have been entrusted with her mini dachshund, Carly, that is her singlemost valuable and precious possession. We are honored but there is a degree of tension too with such a responsibility.

So Monday it was time for her annual check up and shots and we dutifully take Carly to the vet. After the examination, including urine tests, stool samples, blood tests, and three shots totaling $400--Dana paid it--we brought her home and thought that was that. Until yesterday the vet called and said her urine showed a UTI and the blood tests showed something elevated in her liver and to come down and pick up two prescriptions to deal with it. Another roughly $100. Dana paid it.

We can't afford a dog. :(

But we can sure enjoy this one so long as Dana pays the bills. :)

My dachshund is a mini also, he's 9 and so far hasn't had any problems, knock on wood.

I think he's getting too fat though, so trying to cut back with him...not easy with a dachshund.

Hey Ringel, computer question: I can't get my Windows 7 PC to see my Linux PCs. I can connect to them, and the Linux PCs can see the Windows PC fine, but when I open the network places on the Windows PC, nothing shows up. I have to run \\ to connect to the Linux machines. Do you have any idea why that's the case? I've never had a problem with my Vista PC seeing the Linux machines on the network. :dunno:
How to Enable File Sharing & Change the Workgroup in Ubuntu Linux | Digital Citizen

Hope this helps.

Oh and make sure they're all on the same network. If it's set for 'Public' in Windows that may be your problem.

Samba is installed, workgroup name is the same, Win 7 is set to workgroup rather than homegroup. I can share files, the problem is just that the Linux machines don't show up in the list when I open the network page on Win 7. It's odd more than problematic. Vista never had this issue.

I don't know squat about what you're talking about, but I can speak from bitter experience that we ALL are having issues with Win 7 and Win 10 that we never had with XP or Vista. :)

NOTE: I just edited this post as about up there was showing up as abut. I click on edit and it is about in the text I typed. So click on save and it again shows up as abut in the thread. I edit again and this time delete the word and retype it. This time it shows up in the thread as about. Can you computer geeks explain that one???

Last edited:
My dachshund is a mini also, he's 9 and so far hasn't had any problems, knock on wood.

I think he's getting too fat though, so trying to cut back with him...not easy with a dachshund.

Yes when we got Carly the first time Dana went to SLC for the heart pump, she weighed in at 16 lbs--the vet said she should weigh beween 10 and 12 but didn't offer my aunt (who took her that time) any advice. I researched it, took her off all people food, put her on a grain free diet to deal with itchy allergies which is why my aunt took her to the vet, and she weighed in at 13.2 lbs on Monday. I was very pleased. And she no longer needs the allergy pills that cost $1 each and she is prescribed to get twice a day. I will gradually try to get another pound off her but won't be too diligent about that. Carly will be 11 on May 2.

Day of Cosmonautics! :) Hope, next decades humankind will reach another celestial bodies by piloted expeditions!

"Earth is the cradle for humanity...
...but one cannot live in a cradle forever."

That is my dream too Sbiker--I just can't believe all those enticing heavenly bodies woud be out there if there was no way that humankind would ever be able to reach them. My scientific friends advise me that multiple warp speeds are impossible and, from an astrophysics standpoint, we will never be able to leave this galaxy and are probably limited to the nearest planets at that.

I won't believe that because I don't have to. I agree it probaby won't happen in my lifetime, but I prefer to believe that it can and will happen. There was a time scientists thought going to the moon would be physically impossible too. :)

Hope this helps.

I think if you set it for 'homegroup' that may fix it but I'm not sure, networking computers was never my strong suit, never needed to learn it. All of mine are networked but don't ask me how I managed that besides I rarely use the network to communicate with the other computers as I have no need to do so.
About the best I can do is what you can do, hunt for solutions online. :dunno:

Yesterday was busy paperwork day, making sure I had all my tax paperwork and mortgage application paperwork, doing the taxes then printing out forms, filling them out, scanning them back in and uploading them to my bank for the loan application. I'm fairly sure I will have to write a couple of letters of explanation for some requested documents I don't have, oh well.
Woke up in muggy conditions (58% humidity) and I have to get cleaned up for my chiro visit, don't want to offend people....... well you know what I mean...... :D

My mini-doxie managed to maintain her svelte figure until her last year. The vet was always pleased and Uschi was a healthy girl, all 17 years of her life. I miss her still, even though my recent rescue, Penny, is cool, too. Penny's a little overweight, she came that way. Being of Pug heritage, I suppose a portly, stumpy body might just be the way she's meant to be.

Beautiful weather here. Sunny and warming up to the mid-40s during the day. It's still dropping below freezing at night, but the snow and ice are going away pretty quickly. I have to wait for the piles of snow to melt away before I can move my house out of the garage and am hoping that by the end of the month, I'll be outside.
I still have to go out a couple of times each day to force one of my new mama does to nurse my orphan. I hope my new nipples get here soon so I can get her onto a bottle. Forcing the doe to let the little one nurse is like a wrestling match.

After Uschi died, I wasn't going to get another little dog. But the empty place at the foot of my bed was occupied by a little weenie ghost. So I started visiting a local adoption clinic, hoping to find a suitable place holder. Penny was alone, didn't play like the other dogs, was shy and frightened. I started petting her and gently picked her up. The foster-mom was surprised that Penny allowed herself to be held. I went a couple of weeks and really couldn't find any dog I felt would fit my lifestyle. Then I had a dream about Penny. I went the next weekend and brought her home. The foster-mom was so happy that Penny had found someone, she waived the home visit. Penny had been sent up from someplace in CA where she had been rescued after her family was forced to evacuate and abandon her. She's still very fearful and had recently had puppies when I got her. My buddy, who trains dogs, observed that she might have been held in a cage or kennel and handled very seldom, certainly not given a lot of human affection. Penny's slowly coming out of her shell. The cats remain an enigma, but at least she's not growling and snapping at them in fear, like she did initially.
I'm looking forward to good weather because both of us will benefit from "walkies".

Hope this helps.

I think if you set it for 'homegroup' that may fix it but I'm not sure, networking computers was never my strong suit, never needed to learn it. All of mine are networked but don't ask me how I managed that besides I rarely use the network to communicate with the other computers as I have no need to do so.

From what I've gathered, homegroup only works with other Windows machines and only if they are 7 or later. I've been doing the rounds of trying to find answers, but as is usual with Linux, it can be difficult. It's worse in this case, I think, because it's trying to get Windows and Linux to play nice together. :p

Like I said, I can share files, I just have to use the \\computername command to connect from my Win7 instead of being able to see the other PCs when I open up my network places. Worst case is I get used to doing it that way, I just figured you might happen to have been through this kind of thing before. :) Thanks for trying!

Hope this helps.

From what I've gathered, homegroup only works with other Windows machines and only if they are 7 or later. I've been doing the rounds of trying to find answers, but as is usual with Linux, it can be difficult. It's worse in this case, I think, because it's trying to get Windows and Linux to play nice together. :p

Like I said, I can share files, I just have to use the \\computername command to connect from my Win7 instead of being able to see the other PCs when I open up my network places. Worst case is I get used to doing it that way, I just figured you might happen to have been through this kind of thing before. :) Thanks for trying!
My Win 10 sees my Ubuntu machine, don't know what I did but it works. :dunno:

Hope this helps.

My Win 10 sees my Ubuntu machine, don't know what I did but it works. :dunno:

My Vista machine always saw my Linux machines just fine. I upgraded that to Win 7, but now it doesn't see the Linux machines on the network page. I can connect to them, though, and the Linux machines see the Win 7. I can't remember if my main PCs Win 7 boot saw my laptop with Linux.....I think that it did, but now it does not. :dunno: It's confusing and annoying, but I can still move files between all of the machines over the network, I just have to use that extra step of doing a run with \\computername. I might accidentally figure it out one of these days. :lol:

Forum List

Back