🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

Seafood is great, lol. I miss crab legs. But here...too expensive.
Hell, unless you know somebody who fishes crab here it's too expensive. King- and golden-crab goes for $20/lb usually, and Dungeness goes for about $12-15/lb. Crab is a special treat. (Oh, that reminds me, my buddy's GF is out-of-pocket next Sunday and he's preparing crab! She doesn't eat seafood but travels often enough that he and I can indulge ourselves.

I like spider crab, myself. But I have to go light on the shell fish now. I miss eating it, but no can do except on rare occassions when it is on sale.

On GPS vs Maps:

I live in the Ohio River valley near Pittsburgh. I have a dear friend in the Bath Beach section of Brooklyn. She had a death in the family and I wanted to attend the funeral. She had lost a family member on a Saturday. I got to New York at 8:00 that night. The body had been moved to the city morgue in Brooklyn from the hospital where she succumbed.

My friend, her sister and I went to the morgue to identify the body. I reached for my tri-fold lamented map of southeast Brooklyn. I found the morgue by the index and then plotted a route there. "That's okay, hun!" my friend's sister said "I got GPS!"

And so, her sister entered the address of the morgue to the GPS and off we went.

According to my route, we would have taken the Belt Parkway to Ft. Greene. The GPS barked out the order to "Turn Left on Bay Street."

But the girls are chatty women. They gossiped back and forth oblivious to the request made by the GPS.

I plotted a course that would take us north on Roosevelt. The GPS, meanwhile had been 'recalculating'. And still the sisters chatted, argued, made up, and grieved.

"Are you gonna go on the Ft.Hamilton Parkway?" I dared interrupt. "Turn right on Ft. Hamilton Parkway." chimed in the robot map.

Eventually, we did get to the morgue, and giving me a tour of Brooklyn I never imagined.

The one design flaw, the one engineering mistake was not taking into account of a pair of Brooklyn sisters and their combined attention span where technology is concerned. You have to listen to the device if the device is to be effective.

We concluded our grim business with the Coroner's Department of the City of New York. We climbed back into the Ford Explorer and the forsaken GPS. The sister wondered if she had to turn north or south from the spot at the morgue. "Left". I said. "The take the close right onto Ft. Hamilton then to the Belt"

"How do you know that?" she shot back incredulous that a Yinzer from Ohio would have taxi driver caliber skills on the mean streets of Brooklyn.

"I paid attention." I answered.

I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed, but the one natural ability I have always been able to rely on was my sense of direction... I was very fortunate as a young whippersnapper and my parents were very mobile... We used to not only take vacations and travel, all by the automobile or Truck (sometimes train as I have been from coast to coast by train) I was lucky enough to have been in 44 States by the time I was 18...

I learned from a very early age that there was a wonderful world outside any window I had my nose stuck to... And for some reason I retained places we traveled most of the time... I have returned to previous destinations 20 years later and been able to navigate like I had been living there all along...

Paying attention is a good thing and being able to read a map is an absolute...

I have almost no sense of direction. If asked what direction something is in, or which direction I am facing, I have to think of the phrase, "The sun rises in the east and sets in the west" and extrapolate from there. I don't always get that phrase correct, either. :p

Of course, since I've never owned a car, don't travel much, and have almost never been responsible for knowing the directions when doing any traveling, it's not surprising.

I have no sense of direction either and can get lost even with GPS or my iPhone.

On GPS vs Maps:

I live in the Ohio River valley near Pittsburgh. I have a dear friend in the Bath Beach section of Brooklyn. She had a death in the family and I wanted to attend the funeral. She had lost a family member on a Saturday. I got to New York at 8:00 that night. The body had been moved to the city morgue in Brooklyn from the hospital where she succumbed.

My friend, her sister and I went to the morgue to identify the body. I reached for my tri-fold lamented map of southeast Brooklyn. I found the morgue by the index and then plotted a route there. "That's okay, hun!" my friend's sister said "I got GPS!"

And so, her sister entered the address of the morgue to the GPS and off we went.

According to my route, we would have taken the Belt Parkway to Ft. Greene. The GPS barked out the order to "Turn Left on Bay Street."

But the girls are chatty women. They gossiped back and forth oblivious to the request made by the GPS.

I plotted a course that would take us north on Roosevelt. The GPS, meanwhile had been 'recalculating'. And still the sisters chatted, argued, made up, and grieved.

"Are you gonna go on the Ft.Hamilton Parkway?" I dared interrupt. "Turn right on Ft. Hamilton Parkway." chimed in the robot map.

Eventually, we did get to the morgue, and giving me a tour of Brooklyn I never imagined.

The one design flaw, the one engineering mistake was not taking into account of a pair of Brooklyn sisters and their combined attention span where technology is concerned. You have to listen to the device if the device is to be effective.

We concluded our grim business with the Coroner's Department of the City of New York. We climbed back into the Ford Explorer and the forsaken GPS. The sister wondered if she had to turn north or south from the spot at the morgue. "Left". I said. "The take the close right onto Ft. Hamilton then to the Belt"

"How do you know that?" she shot back incredulous that a Yinzer from Ohio would have taxi driver caliber skills on the mean streets of Brooklyn.

I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed, but the one natural ability I have always been able to rely on was my sense of direction... I was very fortunate as a young whippersnapper and my parents were very mobile... We used to not only take vacations and travel, all by the automobile or Truck (sometimes train as I have been from coast to coast by train) I was lucky enough to have been in 44 States by the time I was 18...

I learned from a very early age that there was a wonderful world outside any window I had my nose stuck to... And for some reason I retained places we traveled most of the time... I have returned to previous destinations 20 years later and been able to navigate like I had been living there all along...

I have almost no sense of direction. If asked what direction something is in, or which direction I am facing, I have to think of the phrase, "The sun rises in the east and sets in the west" and extrapolate from there. I don't always get that phrase correct, either. :p

Of course, since I've never owned a car, don't travel much, and have almost never been responsible for knowing the directions when doing any traveling, it's not surprising.

I have no sense of direction either and can get lost even with GPS or my iPhone.
I am that way too. I can get turned around in stores. Big ones that is.

On GPS vs Maps:

Yes, after walking a bit in a big building, say a hospital or office building, if I made any turns, I will be clueless re what direction anything is. And heaven help me in underground parking garages downtown. When I go out of one--the exit is generally on a different street than the entrance--and I am out of sight of the mountains or the west mesa volcanoes, it takes me forever to figure out where I am or what direction I'm going. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
On GPS vs Maps:

Yes, after walking a bit in a big building, say a hospital or office building, if I made any turns, I will be clueless re what direction anything is. And heaven help me in underground parking garages downtown. When I go out of one--the exit is generally on a different street than the entrance--and I am out of sight of the mountains or the west mesa volcanoes, it takes me forever to figure out where I am or what direction I'm going. :)

Good to know i am not alone with this. It is not a pleasant feeling.

upload_2017-4-10_15-52-11.png

Directions living on Oahu takes some getting used to... Normal directions are not used by the local folks... When driving or giving directions while in the populated area of the city of Honolulu... Say I was at Pearl Harbor and wanted to go to Waikiki and asked someone how to return to Waikiki they would say go back 3 blocks Mauka and turn Diamond Head and go 8 miles on the freeway... Diamond Head being the identifier for east. Ewa (Eva) being the word for west... Will admit that I took awhile for me to adjust on my first learning experience...

============================================================
Local Directions in Hawaii--What is Mauka and Makai?!
When you are driving in Hawaii and stop to ask for directions, don't be surprised when people give you directions using the Hawaiian words "mauka" and "makai." What does that mean and why use those terms?

First of all you have to remember that you are on an island. Hawaii is made up of a chain of islands with the main islands being Oahu, Hawaii Island (Big Island), Maui and Kauai. In ancient Hawaiian times, Hawaiian chiefs were given a pie shaped piece of land called an ahupua'a that ran from the mountains to the valley, to the ocean. This unique land division system allowed all Hawaiian communities equal access to the limited natural resources of the islands.

Mauka is the Hawaiian word for mountain, and makai is the Hawaiian word for ocean, and people use these words when they are giving directions or describing a location. For example, turn makai on Maku'u Drive simply means turn towards the ocean on Maku'u Drive, ...after you turn onto Kinoole Street we are located on the mauka side, meaning the establishment is on the side of the street with the mountain, the opposite side of the street would be makai looking towards the ocean.

I personally think that the words mauka and makai used today carried over from the ancient Hawaiian ahupua'a system. Living on our beautiful islands, these 2 words are a reminder of what physically defines our islands and the ingenious Hawaiian culture that it came from.

Local Directions in Hawaii--What is Mauka and Makai?!

On GPS vs Maps:

I volunteered here at the hospital and they put me in patient discharge but I always got lost, so I switched to the Surgery waiting room. :)

On GPS vs Maps:

I'm usually fine in the stores, it's trying to remember where the car is parked after getting done I have problems with.

I'm in the process of reinstalling Windows on my second PC. I formatted the drive because I've been having some issues lately. Unfortunately, at least some of the problems seem to remain. I'm pretty sure that the video card, at least, is dying. Now I'm trying to decide what I want to do. I can either keep it running as is, hoping it lasts until I see good sales in the future (probably toward Christmas), or I can go buy a cheapo video card now, hoping it fixes the problem, or I can buy a somewhat expensive video card to put in my good PC, and use the card in there for the second PC, or I can just put together a whole new machine.

PC problems always take up a lot of my time, as I consider what I'm willing to spend money on. :p

You didn't tell about it, have you checked driver of video card after Windows reinstalling? Some video card don't work properly without to install correct drivers from vendor's disk (or site)...

Yeah, going to the nvidia site is one of the first things I do after I reinstall an OS.

I actually just cleaned out the old PC, I blew out a ton of accumulated dust. I used a leaf-blower, in fact! I'd read of someone doing that, even saw a youtube video. Some people said it was dangerous, but I used the lower setting and didn't leave the air going for too long at a time, hoping to avoid static build up. It seemed to work pretty well, and so far the second PC is working fine.

My main PC, on the other hand, turned itself off spontaneously a couple of minutes ago. I have no idea why. I was booted in Linux, so I decided to boot to Win7 when I restarted. Hopefully it was just one of those mysterious things that will not be explained but also not happen again. :lol:

Too bad Spoonman isn't still around. He likes his AR's and shootin' and such. I just finished up a quickie job on plinker targets for us hicks out here in Podunk, WI. My buddy has been bugging me for a couple years to build us something to shoot at out of metal so we can just hear if we hit it. He bought the top and lower small targets so I just welded them on, then made a couple bigger ones and a quick stand. Looking forward to doing some damage to it soon...

20170410_150415_zpsyeafjfmn.jpg

Too bad Spoonman isn't still around. He likes his AR's and shootin' and such. I just finished up a quickie job on plinker targets for us hicks out here in Podunk, WI. My buddy has been bugging me for a couple years to build us something to shoot at out of metal so we can just hear if we hit it. He bought the top and lower small targets so I just welded them on, then made a couple bigger ones and a quick stand. Looking forward to doing some damage to it soon...

Just out of curiosity do you let folks know when the range goes hot downrange?

On GPS vs Maps:

I'm usually fine in the stores, it's trying to remember where the car is parked after getting done I have problems with.

Reminds me of a story of an elderly lady who parked her car and went into the large shopping mall. She forgot which door she had come in and had no idea where it was and she was not able to walk long distances. A couple of teenage Boy Scouts offered their assistance, and she told them that it was a light blue Chevy station wagon. No, she didn't know the year model or tag number.

They were gone for some time and eventually returned to advise her they had been all over the parking lots on all sides and there was only one blue Chevy station wagon out there and it had a canoe on top.

"Oh" she said. "I forgot about that canoe. . . "

Informative, but just looking the trajectory of those, you sure better be a darn good shot. :)

When I bought the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate it was my first, and so far, only real estate purchase. I was nervous and vulnerable the day of the closing.

I was escorted through a labyrinth of office cubicals in the bank headquarters. I spent the next half hour or so signing my name and writing the biggest check of my life.

When it was all over but the paying, I rose from the desk and made my way out. I turned right and was gently told to make a left. Just the opposite at the next three way intersection. So, when I came to a fork in the road for the third time, I took Yogi Berra's advice. "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Wrong again! After two more wrong turns, I commented to the loan officer 'escorting' me from the closing, "The architect who designed this corn maze from office space must have earned a solid D in Architecture School."

She sighed and said, "My husband was the principle architect for our renovation."

Another red letter day for me.

Last edited:
When I bought the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate it was my first, and so far, only real estate purchase. I was nervous and vulnerable the day of the closing.

I was escorted through a labyrinth of office cubicals in the bank headquarters. I spent the next half hour or so signing my name and writing the biggest check of my life.

When it was all over but the paying, I rose from the desk and made my way out. I turned right and was gently told to make a left. Just the opposite at the next three way intersection. So, when I came to a fork in the road for the third time, I took Yogi Berra's advice. "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Wrong again! After two more wrong turns, I commented to the loan officer 'escorting' me from the closing, "The architect who designed this corn maze from office space must have earned a solid D in Architecture School."

She sighed and said, "My husband was the principle architect for our renovation."

Another red letter day for me.

That's almost as bad as coming back to work after an extended vacation one time and asking my co-worker when the baby is due. She replied she had already had it and was back to work. Awkward. . .

Forum List

Back