🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

After Uschi died, I wasn't going to get another little dog. But the empty place at the foot of my bed was occupied by a little weenie ghost. So I started visiting a local adoption clinic, hoping to find a suitable place holder. Penny was alone, didn't play like the other dogs, was shy and frightened. I started petting her and gently picked her up. The foster-mom was surprised that Penny allowed herself to be held. I went a couple of weeks and really couldn't find any dog I felt would fit my lifestyle. Then I had a dream about Penny. I went the next weekend and brought her home. The foster-mom was so happy that Penny had found someone, she waived the home visit. Penny had been sent up from someplace in CA where she had been rescued after her family was forced to evacuate and abandon her. She's still very fearful and had recently had puppies when I got her. My buddy, who trains dogs, observed that she might have been held in a cage or kennel and handled very seldom, certainly not given a lot of human affection. Penny's slowly coming out of her shell. The cats remain an enigma, but at least she's not growling and snapping at them in fear, like she did initially.
I'm looking forward to good weather because both of us will benefit from "walkies".

My aunt's Shih tzu was like that. She was actually my cousin's rescue dog before my cousin suddenly died with meningitis long before her time. She was my aunt's only child so Aunt Betty was totally devastated. But she did want to take and care for Sally the Shih tzu. When Sally was first adopted she was of uncertain age but had apparently been kept caged in a puppy mill and her sole experience was pretty much confinement and having puppies. She was terrified of everything, shook all the time, and would hardly move from where she was put down.

But with a little love and attention, she came totally out of her shell and you couldn't find a happier, more playful, gregarious little dog anywhere. She'll be coming to live with Carly and us for a couple of weeks next month while my aunt vacations in Texas. She and Carly know each other very well though as they live next door to each other when Dana is home.

Hey Ringel, computer question: I can't get my Windows 7 PC to see my Linux PCs. I can connect to them, and the Linux PCs can see the Windows PC fine, but when I open the network places on the Windows PC, nothing shows up. I have to run \\ to connect to the Linux machines. Do you have any idea why that's the case? I've never had a problem with my Vista PC seeing the Linux machines on the network. :dunno:
How to Enable File Sharing & Change the Workgroup in Ubuntu Linux | Digital Citizen

Hope this helps.

Oh and make sure they're all on the same network. If it's set for 'Public' in Windows that may be your problem.

Samba is installed, workgroup name is the same, Win 7 is set to workgroup rather than homegroup. I can share files, the problem is just that the Linux machines don't show up in the list when I open the network page on Win 7. It's odd more than problematic. Vista never had this issue.
I think if you set it for 'homegroup' that may fix it but I'm not sure, networking computers was never my strong suit, never needed to learn it. All of mine are networked but don't ask me how I managed that besides I rarely use the network to communicate with the other computers as I have no need to do so.
About the best I can do is what you can do, hunt for solutions online. :dunno:

From what I've gathered, homegroup only works with other Windows machines and only if they are 7 or later. I've been doing the rounds of trying to find answers, but as is usual with Linux, it can be difficult. It's worse in this case, I think, because it's trying to get Windows and Linux to play nice together. :p

Like I said, I can share files, I just have to use the \\computername command to connect from my Win7 instead of being able to see the other PCs when I open up my network places. Worst case is I get used to doing it that way, I just figured you might happen to have been through this kind of thing before. :) Thanks for trying!
My Win 10 sees my Ubuntu machine, don't know what I did but it works. :dunno:

Hah! Now, for no apparent reason, my Win 7 machine suddenly shows the Linux machines in the network page. :p

Well, as luck would have it, my kitty corner neighbor to the back of me is a carpenter. Just had him stop over and take a look at my shop. Going to tear off all the metal siding and foam insulation because the builder of this place never put any sheathing on it outside, and the BUGS crawl in under it like the front door is open, and I'm so sick of it I could spit fire. The box elder bugs are in EVERYTHING. So, going to put a real nice timber colored vinyl siding on it instead and trash the metal. Going to eliminate a couple windows too. Can't wait to get that project started. He said if I wanted to help he'd take off wages for me too, sounded real good to me.

How to Enable File Sharing & Change the Workgroup in Ubuntu Linux | Digital Citizen

Hope this helps.

Oh and make sure they're all on the same network. If it's set for 'Public' in Windows that may be your problem.

Samba is installed, workgroup name is the same, Win 7 is set to workgroup rather than homegroup. I can share files, the problem is just that the Linux machines don't show up in the list when I open the network page on Win 7. It's odd more than problematic. Vista never had this issue.
I think if you set it for 'homegroup' that may fix it but I'm not sure, networking computers was never my strong suit, never needed to learn it. All of mine are networked but don't ask me how I managed that besides I rarely use the network to communicate with the other computers as I have no need to do so.

From what I've gathered, homegroup only works with other Windows machines and only if they are 7 or later. I've been doing the rounds of trying to find answers, but as is usual with Linux, it can be difficult. It's worse in this case, I think, because it's trying to get Windows and Linux to play nice together. :p

Like I said, I can share files, I just have to use the \\computername command to connect from my Win7 instead of being able to see the other PCs when I open up my network places. Worst case is I get used to doing it that way, I just figured you might happen to have been through this kind of thing before. :) Thanks for trying!

Hah! Now, for no apparent reason, my Win 7 machine suddenly shows the Linux machines in the network page. :p
Did you finally turn them on........ :eusa_whistle:

:lol:

Unfortunately, I was on the Linux boot of this PC, and it spontaneously turned itself off again. No idea what that's about.

:lol:

Unfortunately, I was on the Linux boot of this PC, and it spontaneously turned itself off again. No idea what that's about.
Mongo not know. :dunno:

I do know if the other machines are off or in sleep/hibernate mode the network will not see them.

Chilly 64 right now in Foley. Today's high will be 69 after a week of low 80's.
I am so proud of myself! Cabin fever got the best of me yesterday evening so I picked up the crutches and hobbled down the stairs and to my pick-up. I had to slide over to the passenger side to get my left leg in, but once it was, I was able to get mostly behind the wheel. I drove my sorry butt to Doc's and played poker.
I surprised a lot of people including my partners who worked closing shift.When they came in at 8:00 they lit up the room with their grins I made it home about 9, exhausted, but happy. I might have pushed myself a bit far as the pain was hard to deal with last night, but I feel pretty good so far today.
That was probably the most fun you've had in awhile. :)

You'll get some good rest tonight.
It was great to get out. I made it back on Friday and after my Dr.'s appointment on Monday. I was at Doc's from noon til 3 and afriend picked me up at 4:30 and we headed to my partner's house for a shrimp boil. After dinner, Max and I enjoyed a couple Fuente e Fuente Opus X cigars that I had bought for just such an occasion. Fantastic cigar, but at $30 a piece not an every day smoke.
I got home about 11, exhausted but happy.
OH doctor's report: I am healing very well according to the doc and he removed the cast and replaced it with a removable imobilizer. I take it off a great deal when I'm just lying in bed and a couple times a day, I sit either on the edge of the bed and slide my foot back and forth to work on range of motion. I'm up to about 70 degrees so far.
The skin is still quite tender and accounts for the majority of my pain. The good news is I'm down to 1 to 2 Oxycontins a day.
I'm still not to put any weight on it. Next visit is May 8th. Hopefully I'll be able to start getting back to something like normal then.

I am so proud of myself! Cabin fever got the best of me yesterday evening so I picked up the crutches and hobbled down the stairs and to my pick-up. I had to slide over to the passenger side to get my left leg in, but once it was, I was able to get mostly behind the wheel. I drove my sorry butt to Doc's and played poker.
I surprised a lot of people including my partners who worked closing shift.When they came in at 8:00 they lit up the room with their grins I made it home about 9, exhausted, but happy. I might have pushed myself a bit far as the pain was hard to deal with last night, but I feel pretty good so far today.

It was great to get out. I made it back on Friday and after my Dr.'s appointment on Monday. I was at Doc's from noon til 3 and afriend picked me up at 4:30 and we headed to my partner's house for a shrimp boil. After dinner, Max and I enjoyed a couple Fuente e Fuente Opus X cigars that I had bought for just such an occasion. Fantastic cigar, but at $30 a piece not an every day smoke.
OH doctor's report: I am healing very well according to the doc and he removed the cast and replaced it with a removable imobilizer. I take it off a great deal when I'm just lying in bed and a couple times a day, I sit either on the edge of the bed and slide my foot back and forth to work on range of motion. I'm up to about 70 degrees so far.
The skin is still quite tender and accounts for the majority of my pain. The good news is I'm down to 1 to 2 Oxycontins a day.
I'm still not to put any weight on it. Next visit is May 8th. Hopefully I'll be able to start getting back to something like normal then.

Yep. When the pain level is down to being controlled by an Ibuprofen or Naproxen now and then, you'll know your almost there.

Sounds like a great day! The time we get to spend and share with friends (especially $30 cigars) are precious. Many more of those days are in your future. :)

Here's a new one for me...I've had cats who ate cantelope, avocado, and any number of odd things, but Sherman just topped them all. I made up a batch of chicken curry for my dinner, with enough to make a lunch for work. I didn't think I needed a cover, so I left it on the stove top until it cooled enough to pack. Sherman first picked out all the chicken, then he went back and finished off the onions, carrots, and jalepeno peppers I had added to the curry sauce with the chicken. Little shit ate the whole meal's worth of curry!

The maine coon that we had liked jalepeno peppers too! I feel mighty sorry for you when he farts later on tonight.
Try tomato juice see if he likes it. :biggrin:
Everything still OK with you, Peach?

After Uschi died, I wasn't going to get another little dog. But the empty place at the foot of my bed was occupied by a little weenie ghost. So I started visiting a local adoption clinic, hoping to find a suitable place holder. Penny was alone, didn't play like the other dogs, was shy and frightened. I started petting her and gently picked her up. The foster-mom was surprised that Penny allowed herself to be held. I went a couple of weeks and really couldn't find any dog I felt would fit my lifestyle. Then I had a dream about Penny. I went the next weekend and brought her home. The foster-mom was so happy that Penny had found someone, she waived the home visit. Penny had been sent up from someplace in CA where she had been rescued after her family was forced to evacuate and abandon her. She's still very fearful and had recently had puppies when I got her. My buddy, who trains dogs, observed that she might have been held in a cage or kennel and handled very seldom, certainly not given a lot of human affection. Penny's slowly coming out of her shell. The cats remain an enigma, but at least she's not growling and snapping at them in fear, like she did initially.
I'm looking forward to good weather because both of us will benefit from "walkies".

My aunt's Shih tzu was like that. She was actually my cousin's rescue dog before my cousin suddenly died with meningitis long before her time. She was my aunt's only child so Aunt Betty was totally devastated. But she did want to take and care for Sally the Shih tzu. When Sally was first adopted she was of uncertain age but had apparently been kept caged in a puppy mill and her sole experience was pretty much confinement and having puppies. She was terrified of everything, shook all the time, and would hardly move from where she was put down.

But with a little love and attention, she came totally out of her shell and you couldn't find a happier, more playful, gregarious little dog anywhere. She'll be coming to live with Carly and us for a couple of weeks next month while my aunt vacations in Texas. She and Carly know each other very well though as they live next door to each other when Dana is home.
Penny is pretty devoted to me, and she adores my buddy, the dog whisperer. But even the two of us have to move slowly and not try to grab her up too suddenly. She's a little tough to recover off leash, but she's learning to come when called. Mostly, she likes playing "get me", approaching almost close enough to pick up and then dashing off. I usually just ignore her and go where I want her to come. If you don't chase her, she quits the "get me" game pretty quickly. She's also not very well housebroken, although she is kennel trained. I've been working at getting her to use a wee-wee pad.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's sister,
Gallant Warrior's chilly goats,
The Ringel's Gizmo and wellness for Ringel,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Sherry's mom and her life saving medical treatment.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
Hombre's sore toes,
The Gracies just because,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
SFC Ollie and his special project.
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Sixfoot, Spoonman, and all others we hope will find their way back.

Sunset over Ho Chi MInh City
31761194085_d4f085c6e8_b.jpg

Penny is pretty devoted to me, and she adores my buddy, the dog whisperer. But even the two of us have to move slowly and not try to grab her up too suddenly. She's a little tough to recover off leash, but she's learning to come when called. Mostly, she likes playing "get me", approaching almost close enough to pick up and then dashing off. I usually just ignore her and go where I want her to come. If you don't chase her, she quits the "get me" game pretty quickly. She's also not very well housebroken, although she is kennel trained. I've been working at getting her to use a wee-wee pad.
Been talking with my old Reno HD tech buddy, Boya, up in Anchorage lately. He called me the other night crying and very upset. I could tell he'd been drinking, but he lives with his parents and, well, when you're 40 something, I just don't think that's a very good idea. I guess his mother has been giving him a hard time, and his girl friend had left him, but I'll tell ya, I think Alaska is a hard place to live. I think with no sun for months in the long, cold winter and then sun all night long in the summer, people are prone to turn to drinking and drugs and such, and it's tough. IDK GW, am I wrong? As much as I'd like to visit Alaska, I don't think I'd ever want to live there.

I'm almost perplexed, but I have 42 followers on twitter, and I just got back on there two months ago. Myself I'm only following 22 people, like President Trump and such, the Ghost Adventures guys, one friend, and when I check the people that follow me, I see they're following like THOUSANDS of other people. How is it possible to keep up with all them? If I don't look at it for a couple days, I have read back quite a ways. If I was following thousands like some of these people, I'd never be able to keep up with them all... so do people just follow whoever on there? What good does that do? Anybody else on twitter?

I am.

WanderingGracie is my nic. :)
Follow me and I will follow you. I think I have about 170 something followers. Prolly due to me posting pics from Pinterest.

Anywho...I never thought I would ever say this, but I am SO SICK of RAIN!!!

I'm almost perplexed, but I have 42 followers on twitter, and I just got back on there two months ago. Myself I'm only following 22 people, like President Trump and such, the Ghost Adventures guys, one friend, and when I check the people that follow me, I see they're following like THOUSANDS of other people. How is it possible to keep up with all them? If I don't look at it for a couple days, I have read back quite a ways. If I was following thousands like some of these people, I'd never be able to keep up with them all... so do people just follow whoever on there? What good does that do? Anybody else on twitter?

It's like a contest to see who can have the most followers, and that's about all it really means to most of those people.

Been talking with my old Reno HD tech buddy, Boya, up in Anchorage lately. He called me the other night crying and very upset. I could tell he'd been drinking, but he lives with his parents and, well, when you're 40 something, I just don't think that's a very good idea. I guess his mother has been giving him a hard time, and his girl friend had left him, but I'll tell ya, I think Alaska is a hard place to live. I think with no sun for months in the long, cold winter and then sun all night long in the summer, people are prone to turn to drinking and drugs and such, and it's tough. IDK GW, am I wrong? As much as I'd like to visit Alaska, I don't think I'd ever want to live there.

Definitely. I had a friend whose husband was stationed (with the military) up in Alaska for a few years, and she said a lot of people suffered from depression and that they actually do light therapy up there. I don't really know what "light therapy" is though.

I am on twitter and I have 248 followers. I am following 719. Obviously I cannot read everything that people post. I just go on twitter and scroll down the page until I am tired of scrolling then I refresh the page to read new stuff.

Forum List

Back