🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'm almost perplexed, but I have 42 followers on twitter, and I just got back on there two months ago. Myself I'm only following 22 people, like President Trump and such, the Ghost Adventures guys, one friend, and when I check the people that follow me, I see they're following like THOUSANDS of other people. How is it possible to keep up with all them? If I don't look at it for a couple days, I have read back quite a ways. If I was following thousands like some of these people, I'd never be able to keep up with them all... so do people just follow whoever on there? What good does that do? Anybody else on twitter?

I am on Twitter and I do follow most of the more prominent politicians and media personalities that I most admire. You must have tweeted something pretty provocative to have amassed a lot of followers in a short time though. But those who do have a strong and persistent message do pick up followers. For the rest of us., unless you're rich and famous, posting on Twitter is like shouting into an empty canyon. It is unlikely anybody you know or anybody who cares will see your tweet. I just mostly comment on what the rich and famous are tweeting.

And just like Facebook, you are only going to see a small fraction of what anybody posts on Twitter.

Hombre and I have done it 20 times. And with all that experience and you do learn how to do it better each time, the 20th was still pretty much as disagreeable as the first.

I won't ask what you're talking about here. :p I'll just let my imagination run away!

ROFL. I would like to stir the pot here, but in truth, the topic was moving (from one house to another) when I posted that. :)

After Uschi died, I wasn't going to get another little dog. But the empty place at the foot of my bed was occupied by a little weenie ghost. So I started visiting a local adoption clinic, hoping to find a suitable place holder. Penny was alone, didn't play like the other dogs, was shy and frightened. I started petting her and gently picked her up. The foster-mom was surprised that Penny allowed herself to be held. I went a couple of weeks and really couldn't find any dog I felt would fit my lifestyle. Then I had a dream about Penny. I went the next weekend and brought her home. The foster-mom was so happy that Penny had found someone, she waived the home visit. Penny had been sent up from someplace in CA where she had been rescued after her family was forced to evacuate and abandon her. She's still very fearful and had recently had puppies when I got her. My buddy, who trains dogs, observed that she might have been held in a cage or kennel and handled very seldom, certainly not given a lot of human affection. Penny's slowly coming out of her shell. The cats remain an enigma, but at least she's not growling and snapping at them in fear, like she did initially.
I'm looking forward to good weather because both of us will benefit from "walkies".

My aunt's Shih tzu was like that. She was actually my cousin's rescue dog before my cousin suddenly died with meningitis long before her time. She was my aunt's only child so Aunt Betty was totally devastated. But she did want to take and care for Sally the Shih tzu. When Sally was first adopted she was of uncertain age but had apparently been kept caged in a puppy mill and her sole experience was pretty much confinement and having puppies. She was terrified of everything, shook all the time, and would hardly move from where she was put down.

But with a little love and attention, she came totally out of her shell and you couldn't find a happier, more playful, gregarious little dog anywhere. She'll be coming to live with Carly and us for a couple of weeks next month while my aunt vacations in Texas. She and Carly know each other very well though as they live next door to each other when Dana is home.
Penny is pretty devoted to me, and she adores my buddy, the dog whisperer. But even the two of us have to move slowly and not try to grab her up too suddenly. She's a little tough to recover off leash, but she's learning to come when called. Mostly, she likes playing "get me", approaching almost close enough to pick up and then dashing off. I usually just ignore her and go where I want her to come. If you don't chase her, she quits the "get me" game pretty quickly. She's also not very well housebroken, although she is kennel trained. I've been working at getting her to use a wee-wee pad.
Been talking with my old Reno HD tech buddy, Boya, up in Anchorage lately. He called me the other night crying and very upset. I could tell he'd been drinking, but he lives with his parents and, well, when you're 40 something, I just don't think that's a very good idea. I guess his mother has been giving him a hard time, and his girl friend had left him, but I'll tell ya, I think Alaska is a hard place to live. I think with no sun for months in the long, cold winter and then sun all night long in the summer, people are prone to turn to drinking and drugs and such, and it's tough. IDK GW, am I wrong? As much as I'd like to visit Alaska, I don't think I'd ever want to live there.

Definitely. I had a friend whose husband was stationed (with the military) up in Alaska for a few years, and she said a lot of people suffered from depression and that they actually do light therapy up there. I don't really know what "light therapy" is though.

There are some people who are seriously affected by the diminished hours of daylight in the winter even in the lower 48. And there are large light panels that mimic the light from the sun that people sit beside for awhile every day to compensate for that. Of course the syndrome would be significantly magnified in Alaska.

I do not suffer from lack of sunlight syndrome and I don't mind dreary overcast skies though those are pretty rare where I live. And I am a winter person. I think I could easily live in Alaska. But the sun lovers and those who hate the cold no doubt do have a tough time in Alaska.

I'm almost perplexed, but I have 42 followers on twitter, and I just got back on there two months ago. Myself I'm only following 22 people, like President Trump and such, the Ghost Adventures guys, one friend, and when I check the people that follow me, I see they're following like THOUSANDS of other people. How is it possible to keep up with all them? If I don't look at it for a couple days, I have read back quite a ways. If I was following thousands like some of these people, I'd never be able to keep up with them all... so do people just follow whoever on there? What good does that do? Anybody else on twitter?

It's like a contest to see who can have the most followers, and that's about all it really means to most of those people.

I think it is true of some for sure. Nobody really has 1000 friends but somebody famous, like my national champion rodeo great nephew has well over that number who know who he is and who have befriended him on Facebook or follow him on Twitter. And because he has no reason not to, he befriends them.

None of the rich and famous I have followed on Twitter, however, have chosen to follow me. :)

After Uschi died, I wasn't going to get another little dog. But the empty place at the foot of my bed was occupied by a little weenie ghost. So I started visiting a local adoption clinic, hoping to find a suitable place holder. Penny was alone, didn't play like the other dogs, was shy and frightened. I started petting her and gently picked her up. The foster-mom was surprised that Penny allowed herself to be held. I went a couple of weeks and really couldn't find any dog I felt would fit my lifestyle. Then I had a dream about Penny. I went the next weekend and brought her home. The foster-mom was so happy that Penny had found someone, she waived the home visit. Penny had been sent up from someplace in CA where she had been rescued after her family was forced to evacuate and abandon her. She's still very fearful and had recently had puppies when I got her. My buddy, who trains dogs, observed that she might have been held in a cage or kennel and handled very seldom, certainly not given a lot of human affection. Penny's slowly coming out of her shell. The cats remain an enigma, but at least she's not growling and snapping at them in fear, like she did initially.
I'm looking forward to good weather because both of us will benefit from "walkies".

My aunt's Shih tzu was like that. She was actually my cousin's rescue dog before my cousin suddenly died with meningitis long before her time. She was my aunt's only child so Aunt Betty was totally devastated. But she did want to take and care for Sally the Shih tzu. When Sally was first adopted she was of uncertain age but had apparently been kept caged in a puppy mill and her sole experience was pretty much confinement and having puppies. She was terrified of everything, shook all the time, and would hardly move from where she was put down.

But with a little love and attention, she came totally out of her shell and you couldn't find a happier, more playful, gregarious little dog anywhere. She'll be coming to live with Carly and us for a couple of weeks next month while my aunt vacations in Texas. She and Carly know each other very well though as they live next door to each other when Dana is home.
Penny is pretty devoted to me, and she adores my buddy, the dog whisperer. But even the two of us have to move slowly and not try to grab her up too suddenly. She's a little tough to recover off leash, but she's learning to come when called. Mostly, she likes playing "get me", approaching almost close enough to pick up and then dashing off. I usually just ignore her and go where I want her to come. If you don't chase her, she quits the "get me" game pretty quickly. She's also not very well housebroken, although she is kennel trained. I've been working at getting her to use a wee-wee pad.
Been talking with my old Reno HD tech buddy, Boya, up in Anchorage lately. He called me the other night crying and very upset. I could tell he'd been drinking, but he lives with his parents and, well, when you're 40 something, I just don't think that's a very good idea. I guess his mother has been giving him a hard time, and his girl friend had left him, but I'll tell ya, I think Alaska is a hard place to live. I think with no sun for months in the long, cold winter and then sun all night long in the summer, people are prone to turn to drinking and drugs and such, and it's tough. IDK GW, am I wrong? As much as I'd like to visit Alaska, I don't think I'd ever want to live there.
You are correct about long,cold winters. We call that depression that drives folks to drink, drugs, and destruction of self and others "cabin fever". It helps to have a hobby, or two if you aren't the outdoors type. Generally,you either love Alaska or you get out as soon as possible.

Definitely. I had a friend whose husband was stationed (with the military) up in Alaska for a few years, and she said a lot of people suffered from depression and that they actually do light therapy up there. I don't really know what "light therapy" is though.
Summer?

There are some people who are seriously affected by the diminished hours of daylight in the winter even in the lower 48. And there are large light panels that mimic the light from the sun that people sit beside for awhile every day to compensate for that. Of course the syndrome would be significantly magnified in Alaska.

I do not suffer from lack of sunlight syndrome and I don't mind dreary overcast skies though those are pretty rare where I live. And I am a winter person. I think I could easily live in Alaska. But the sun lovers and those who hate the cold no doubt do have a tough time in Alaska.

When I lived in Minnesota I had a problem with lack of sunlight. During the dead of winter I'd have to be at work at 8:00 am and drove in darkness. When I got off at 5:00 pm it was already dark.

Maybe the -15 below temps contributed....I dunno. :lol:

I live in a city that has 300+ sunny days a year but I prefer cloudy and cold...I too could live easily in Alaska.

Was just thinking... If you start off every day by eating a live frog nothing else worse would happen to you!

When I lived in Minnesota I had a problem with lack of sunlight. During the dead of winter I'd have to be at work at 8:00 am and drove in darkness. When I got off at 5:00 pm it was already dark.

Maybe the -15 below temps contributed....I dunno. :lol:

I'm sure they didn't help. :) I would get antsy when we lived in north central Kansas and had one of those polar vortex kinds of cold where the temperature never got above or only barely about 0 degrees f for a couple of weeks. That was nerve wracking and a little scary because loss of power and therefore heat in most of the house could be disastrous. We did have a large wood burning fireplace in the family room but it was on the lower level of a bi-level and probably would not have kept the pipes from freezing.

Up on the mountain we had a much smaller house and a wood burning fireplace with a Strader insert that was so efficient that it literally would keep the living area very comfortable and keep the remainder of the house well above freezing. Which was good because we seemed to lose power out there often. We made sure we never ran out of firewood.

I live in a city that has 300+ sunny days a year but I prefer cloudy and cold...I too could live easily in Alaska.

Albuquerque probably has 350+ days with at least some sun and I agree. I look forward to clouds and rain or snow. And I do feel better when temperatures are much cooler than hot. But I find as I get older, I also tolerate the heat better and the cold less. It is probably all relative.

Was just thinking... If you start off every day by eating a live frog nothing else worse would happen to you!

Not much because of the poor frog. But I had to give up fishing when I started feeling sorry for the fish. And then the live bait I often used to catch them--even worms. :(

I won't cook a live lobster because I just can't bring myself to plunk the poor thing into the boiling water or behead it if it is to be cooked some other way.

I know. I know. Somebody had to kill the chicken or pig or cow or sheep or fish or seafood or whatever meat I buy at the grocery store or the wild fowl or game we are blessed with that others sometimes give us. I am just so very grateful it wasn't me. :) (I'm hopeless.)

So, how are the frogs in your part of the country? We have a frog here, but its blood is mostly glycol and it hibernates in the frozen ponds all winter. It's about an inch long. We don't bother to eat them because they aren't even a small bite, let alone a mouth full.

So, how are the frogs in your part of the country? We have a frog here, but its blood is mostly glycol and it hibernates in the frozen ponds all winter. It's about an inch long. We don't bother to eat them because they aren't even a small bite, let alone a mouth full.

Now that's news. I never in a million years would have thought about frogs in Alaska. And if anybody had asked me, I would have said probably not given the length of the winters. Live and learn. :)

I saw one of those old pop top soda can tabs today. It was paved into a little used city park road. Like a fossil, it laid in the asphalt yet still silver, but not shiny.

I wondered to myself when was the last time I saw one of those? It was after the last time I saw a mimeograph, after I first saw a bar code. Lots of things aren't here anymore. Smudge pots used to mark out construction areas before the orange barrel. Montgomery Wards where we bought school clothes before The Gap. Ramblers where we invented love making and cruised to and from high school.

The Easter Pageant on the Hillside was a rousing success Palm Sunday evening. Possibly one of our least flawed performances, a sunny evening (the pageant begins at six) with temperatures in the mid sixties and a crowd of over 200 made the whole shebang a wonderful experience for everyone. Our final show is again at six but Saturday evening. If you're in our neck of the woods for Easter, you can't do better for free entertainment and a truly uplifting message.

As I am a tenor, I provide the voices of the two thieves crucified along side Jesus. You need a tenor for blood cuddling shrieks of pain. Baritones are great moaners, but I doubt one would moan when nails are driven through your flesh. So, inside the sound booth where all the voice acting takes place, I smack a hatchet with the handle of a butter knife while I scream my head off.

One audience member who has been coming for years told me last week that 'it just isn't spring until I hear you screaming!'

Now, when have you ever heard a sentence like that?

Last edited:
I saw one of those old pop top soda can tabs today. It was paved into a little used city park road. Like a fossil, it laid in the asphalt yet still silver, but not shiny.

I wondered to myself when was the last time I saw one of those? It was after the last time I saw a mimeograph, after I first saw a bar code. Lots of things aren't here anymore. Smudge pots used to mark out construction areas before the orange barrel. Montgomery Wards where we bought school clothes before The Gap. Ramblers where we invented love making and cruised to and from high school.

The Easter Pageant on the Hillside was a rousing success Palm Sunday evening. Possibly one of our least flawed performances, a sunny evening (the pageant begins at six) with temperatures in the mid sixties and a crowd of over 200 made the whole shebang a wonderful experience for everyone. Our final show is again at six but Saturday evening. If you're in our neck of the woods for Easter, you can't do better for free entertainment and a truly uplifting message.

As I am a tenor, I provide the voices of the two thieves crucified along side Jesus. You need a tenor for blood cuddling shrieks of pain. Baritones are great moaners, but I doubt one would moan when nails are driven through your flesh. So, inside the sound booth where all the voice acting takes place, I smack a hatchet with the handle of a butter knife while I scream my head off.

One audience member who has been coming for years told me last week that 'it just isn't spring until I hear you screaming!'

Now, when have you ever heard a sentence like that?

Not ever. At least directed at me. :)

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's sister,
Gallant Warrior's chilly goats,
The Ringel's Gizmo and wellness for Ringel,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Sherry's mom and her life saving medical treatment.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
Hombre's sore toes,
The Gracies just because,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
SFC Ollie and his special project.
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Sixfoot, Spoonman, and all others we hope will find their way back.

Sunset from the top of Sandia Crest overlooking Albuquerque. The silvery line running through the center of the photo is the Rio Grande.
17807524_760423780783016_7245036345856627504_o.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning! As soon as the sun rises I'm leaving for my daughter's ....she told me to come early because we have a lot to do. They just got home from Hawaii very late last night and California has a 3 hr time difference with Hawaii so I can't imagine them being up early...but I'll be there!! :)

Hope everyone has a Good Friday!

Forum List

Back