USMB Coffee Shop IV

I was bad...... I cooked the potatoes in bacon grease and butter....... Might have it again this time next year.......

Am I the only one that sees the utilization of this beautiful work of art compared to todays horrible Calendars? You have to be within 18 inches of calendars to read the light ink and small daily boxes...

View attachment 121684

Try reading a calendar like this from across the room...

View attachment 121685

Is this just me getting old and persnickety?
I learned years ago that buying a calendar early inNovember for the upcoming year is important. If you procrastinate you might be stuck like I was years back with a choice between kittens or professional wrestlers to look at hanging on the kitchen wall.

Back in my grade school days our classroom calendar was provided by a local insurance agent. He bought them for every classroom in the city. They were big enough to read, even from the back row of desks. Holidays were highlighted in red and there was plenty of space for Mrs. Taft to scratch in occasions for specific dates.

But I never bought a policy from that insurance agent.
I always like getting a Boris Vallejo fantasy calendar.
I go for the fine art calendar. Van Gogh, Michelangelo, Gaugan. I like photography too, but not the Ansel Adams stuff.

Maybe it's because I have never been to the west. I had a project in Portland, Oregon once. But it was just a week and all I saw was the hotel room and the chip yard where tons of oil chips were being measured by me and the crew for which I administered respirator fit testing and operation.

So, no wide open spaces, no glorious mountain vistas.

This year's calendar is photos of New York City since the turn of the twentieth century.

I wondered when in this new millennium we would have to make that twentieth century turn specific. I wondered how long it would take popular culture to say 'Twenty Secenteen" instead of "Two Thousand Seventeen".
New York and similar warrens make me claustrophobic. I took my daughter to Times Square for New Years in 1993...what a zoo! We were only a few blocks away from where they drop the ball, the family next to us (Granma, Granpa, Mom, Dad, and Granddaughter) were also visiting their first New Year's Eve celebration there. They were from Queens. Some people don't get around much, some of us do. I'm in Alaska because I choose to be here.
I'd welcome you to visit my wide open spaces.
There's an energy there that makes me thrive. I've done New Year's Eve there too. 2004/5.

But that wasn't my first visit. I can see how mid-town on that particular night can make for claustrophobia. I was up on Seventh Avenue and 58th Street. Every ten minutes or so, the cops would open the south side barriers and let us move south one block, getting closer to Times Square.

Note that I said 'move' because I was packed into that crowd so tightly a sardines had nothing on me. I'm sure that, someplace in the middle of the intersection, my feet actually swiped across the asphalt.

I spent months in New York on States Island at our Navy base there. Directly below the Staen Island anchorage for the Verrazano Narrows BBridge. Then it was out just beyond JFK airport to Valley Stream, NY and our Navy housing units there. So south Brooklyn became very familiar, very quickly. Weekends were spent in Manhattan.

I have the same relationship with Philadelphia, Boston, and Washington, D.C. I've been lucky to have got around the way I did.

I splurged on a cluster of Dungeness crab, steamed and dipped in garlic butter. Tonight's dinner will be miso soup with mushrooms, serrano peppers and green onions. Tomorrow's breakfast: grits with scrambled eggs.
I stopped eating grits when I couldn't have them with bacon, butter and cheese.........
Tonight's' desert/snack is going to be an apple, tomorrow morning probably oatmeal and a chicken caesar salad for dinner though I'll make scrambled eggs with chicken and feta cheese for the wife for breakfast.
However a trip up to Las Cruses might be in order to go to Dion's for a salad....... nah, I'll wait for a pizza craving to strike........ :D

When I lived in Alexandria, VA, I'd travel to DC on weekends bicycle in tow, and traverse the Mall to visit the sundry museums. There are lots of interesting attractions there. My job took me to many places closed to all but the most dedicated researchers, including the library of Congress.

Am I the only one that sees the utilization of this beautiful work of art compared to todays horrible Calendars? You have to be within 18 inches of calendars to read the light ink and small daily boxes...

View attachment 121684

Try reading a calendar like this from across the room...

View attachment 121685

Is this just me getting old and persnickety?
I learned years ago that buying a calendar early inNovember for the upcoming year is important. If you procrastinate you might be stuck like I was years back with a choice between kittens or professional wrestlers to look at hanging on the kitchen wall.

Back in my grade school days our classroom calendar was provided by a local insurance agent. He bought them for every classroom in the city. They were big enough to read, even from the back row of desks. Holidays were highlighted in red and there was plenty of space for Mrs. Taft to scratch in occasions for specific dates.

But I never bought a policy from that insurance agent.
I always like getting a Boris Vallejo fantasy calendar.
I go for the fine art calendar. Van Gogh, Michelangelo, Gaugan. I like photography too, but not the Ansel Adams stuff.

Maybe it's because I have never been to the west. I had a project in Portland, Oregon once. But it was just a week and all I saw was the hotel room and the chip yard where tons of oil chips were being measured by me and the crew for which I administered respirator fit testing and operation.

So, no wide open spaces, no glorious mountain vistas.

This year's calendar is photos of New York City since the turn of the twentieth century.

I wondered when in this new millennium we would have to make that twentieth century turn specific. I wondered how long it would take popular culture to say 'Twenty Secenteen" instead of "Two Thousand Seventeen".
New York and similar warrens make me claustrophobic. I took my daughter to Times Square for New Years in 1993...what a zoo! We were only a few blocks away from where they drop the ball, the family next to us (Granma, Granpa, Mom, Dad, and Granddaughter) were also visiting their first New Year's Eve celebration there. They were from Queens. Some people don't get around much, some of us do. I'm in Alaska because I choose to be here.
I'd welcome you to visit my wide open spaces.
There's an energy there that makes me thrive. I've done New Year's Eve there too. 2004/5.

But that wasn't my first visit. I can see how mid-town on that particular night can make for claustrophobia. I was up on Seventh Avenue and 58th Street. Every ten minutes or so, the cops would open the south side barriers and let us move south one block, getting closer to Times Square.

Note that I said 'move' because I was packed into that crowd so tightly a sardines had nothing on me. I'm sure that, someplace in the middle of the intersection, my feet actually swiped across the asphalt.

I spent months in New York on States Island at our Navy base there. Directly below the Staen Island anchorage for the Verrazano Narrows BBridge. Then it was out just beyond JFK airport to Valley Stream, NY and our Navy housing units there. So south Brooklyn became very familiar, very quickly. Weekends were spent in Manhattan.

I have the same relationship with Philadelphia, Boston, and Washington, D.C. I've been lucky to have got around the way I did.

I'm with some of the others in that I don't enjoy the big city that much. I don't mind going and tarrying a bit to attend a meeting or an event or take in a show or something, but I quickly become uncomfortable with the masses of people who are everywhere and seemingly uninvolved or unconnected with one another. The constant noise of traffic, horns, sirens becomes grating and the feeling of being penned in and restricted frustrating. For me energy comes from the high desert or the mountain vistas, or the mighty river shared with others who understand it.

But I do believe you when you feel the energy of the city as I know many others who feel the same.

And its a very good thing that we don't all want to be in the same place because it sure would get crowded there. :)

I splurged on a cluster of Dungeness crab, steamed and dipped in garlic butter. Tonight's dinner will be miso soup with mushrooms, serrano peppers and green onions. Tomorrow's breakfast: grits with scrambled eggs.
I stopped eating grits when I couldn't have them with bacon, butter and cheese.........
Tonight's' desert/snack is going to be an apple, tomorrow morning probably oatmeal and a chicken caesar salad for dinner though I'll make scrambled eggs with chicken and feta cheese for the wife for breakfast.
However a trip up to Las Cruses might be in order to go to Dion's for a salad....... nah, I'll wait for a pizza craving to strike........ :D
I luvs me some good grits.

When I lived in Alexandria, VA, I'd travel to DC on weekends bicycle in tow, and traverse the Mall to visit the sundry museums. There are lots of interesting attractions there. My job took me to many places closed to all but the most dedicated researchers, including the library of Congress.

Our daughter lived in Alexandria when she was working in DC. We were right across the street from the Pentagon Mall and the Capital building was clearly visible from her balcony. The Pentagon was clearly visible from her down the hall friends' balcony. We were thrilled to be there in the nation's capital. And we were thrilled to get out of there by the time our vacation was over.

Our son and his family are here this weekend and tonight I prepared a simple dinner of chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, gravy that was some of the best I've eaten (she says immodestly) and green beans flavored with a touch of bacon. After while we'll have the cherry pie and ice cream.

There were no leftovers. :)

Our daughter lived in Alexandria when she was working in DC. We were right across the street from the Pentagon Mall and the Capital building was clearly visible from her balcony. The Pentagon was clearly visible from her down the hall friends' balcony. We were thrilled to be there in the nation's capital. And we were thrilled to get out of there by the time our vacation was over.
I could do the National Mall with my eyes closed due to being a tour guide for all friends and family that visited not to mention many other sites in DC and Balmer.......... Baltimore to the non locals. :D

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's sister,
Gallant Warrior's chilly goats,
The Ringel's Gizmo and wellness for Ringel,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Sherry's mom and her life saving medical treatment.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
Hombre's sore toes,
The Gracies just because,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
SFC Ollie and his special project.
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Sixfoot, Spoonman, and all others we hope will find their way back.

Sunset over New York City
fiery-sunset-over-manhattan-az-jackson.jpg

I could do the National Mall with my eyes closed due to being a tour guide for all friends and family that visited not to mention many other sites in DC and Balmer.......... Baltimore to the non locals. :D

I am going to the DC area first weekend in May...never been there...looking forward to it.

It was a rotisserie chicken that I had wrapped up and shoved in the back of the fridge and forgot about. God, that smelled SO bad.
That's why ya keep an open box of baking soda in the fridge so you don't smell it and in time it will become mummified...... then you can donate it to science.......

Last edited:

Forum List

Back