USMB Coffee Shop IV

Our son and his family are here this weekend and tonight I prepared a simple dinner of chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, gravy that was some of the best I've eaten (she says immodestly) and green beans flavored with a touch of bacon. After while we'll have the cherry pie and ice cream.

There were no leftovers. :)

Pie...love pie...what ever happened to the good ol' pie and coffee places?....:crybaby:

When I lived in Alexandria, VA, I'd travel to DC on weekends bicycle in tow, and traverse the Mall to visit the sundry museums. There are lots of interesting attractions there. My job took me to many places closed to all but the most dedicated researchers, including the library of Congress.

Our daughter lived in Alexandria when she was working in DC. We were right across the street from the Pentagon Mall and the Capital building was clearly visible from her balcony. The Pentagon was clearly visible from her down the hall friends' balcony. We were thrilled to be there in the nation's capital. And we were thrilled to get out of there by the time our vacation was over.
I could do the National Mall with my eyes closed due to being a tour guide for all friends and family that visited not to mention many other sites in DC and Balmer.......... Baltimore to the non locals. :D

I am going to the DC area first weekend in May...never been there...looking forward to it.
Just realize traffic is a nightmare then gets worse during the rush times which last for hours on end. Everything is overpriced but then again the cost of living there is one of the highest in the nation. Oh and don't drink the water......... :D

When I lived in Alexandria, VA, I'd travel to DC on weekends bicycle in tow, and traverse the Mall to visit the sundry museums. There are lots of interesting attractions there. My job took me to many places closed to all but the most dedicated researchers, including the library of Congress.

Our daughter lived in Alexandria when she was working in DC. We were right across the street from the Pentagon Mall and the Capital building was clearly visible from her balcony. The Pentagon was clearly visible from her down the hall friends' balcony. We were thrilled to be there in the nation's capital. And we were thrilled to get out of there by the time our vacation was over.
I could do the National Mall with my eyes closed due to being a tour guide for all friends and family that visited not to mention many other sites in DC and Balmer.......... Baltimore to the non locals. :D

I am going to the DC area first weekend in May...never been there...looking forward to it.

It is a pilgrimage everybody should make. :) For the first timer there is so much to see and do. You could spend a month alone at the Smithsonian and only scratch the surface. We enjoyed boat tours on the Potomac and visited all the usual monuments and historical sites, toured the Capital Building, the White House, a short side trip to Monticello, etc. not all on the same trip of course.

Don't order Mexican food there though. It really sucks. :)

Our son and his family are here this weekend and tonight I prepared a simple dinner of chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, gravy that was some of the best I've eaten (she says immodestly) and green beans flavored with a touch of bacon. After while we'll have the cherry pie and ice cream.

Pie...love pie...what ever happened to the good ol' pie and coffee places?....:crybaby:

The best are pretty much in our kitchen these days. :)

Just realize traffic is a nightmare then gets worse during the rush times which last for hours on end. Everything is overpriced but then again the cost of living there is one of the highest in the nation. Oh and don't drink the water......... :D

However you CAN make a U-turn there anywhere you want to--middle of the block or whatever. I've never seen anything like it. But if you miss your turn, add 30 minutes to your itinerary.

It is a pilgrimage everybody should make. :) For the first timer there is so much to see and do. You could spend a month alone at the Smithsonian and only scratch the surface. We enjoyed boat tours on the Potomac and visited all the usual monuments and historical sites, toured the Capital Building, the White House, a short side trip to Monticello, etc. not all on the same trip of course.

There were only two tex-mex places I found in the 35 years I was there that were good, Casa Chimayo in Manassas and the Tortilla Factory in Herndon both of which have closed. There was also Pollo Inca in Herndon that was awesome.

5690f664affca725e8b9d804641c6f83.jpg

I'm in a bit of shock right now. My dad had a heart attack last night, and while we were at the emergency room, my brother also had heart problems (he has afib). They are both in the hospital right now. I am so worried.

I'm in a bit of shock right now. My dad had a heart attack last night, and while we were at the emergency room, my brother also had heart problems (he has afib). They are both in the hospital right now. I am so worried.

Good wishes for both of them, boe. Perhaps a small silver lining is that you were already at the ER when your brother had his problems, so he was able to get help more quickly? That must be all kinds of scary to have it happen to them both so close together. :(

I'm almost perplexed, but I have 42 followers on twitter, and I just got back on there two months ago. Myself I'm only following 22 people, like President Trump and such, the Ghost Adventures guys, one friend, and when I check the people that follow me, I see they're following like THOUSANDS of other people. How is it possible to keep up with all them? If I don't look at it for a couple days, I have read back quite a ways. If I was following thousands like some of these people, I'd never be able to keep up with them all... so do people just follow whoever on there? What good does that do? Anybody else on twitter?

It's like a contest to see who can have the most followers, and that's about all it really means to most of those people.

I think it is true of some for sure. Nobody really has 1000 friends but somebody famous, like my national champion rodeo great nephew has well over that number who know who he is and who have befriended him on Facebook or follow him on Twitter. And because he has no reason not to, he befriends them.

None of the rich and famous I have followed on Twitter, however, have chosen to follow me. :)

I have tweeted some celebrities but they have never answered me. I sent one of my paintings into space tweeting it to the British astronaut Tim Peake while he was on the space station.

So sorry Boe. I know that is heart wrenching and gut wrenching for you. Both go on the list and my personal prayers will be directed your/their way.

There were only two tex-mex places I found in the 35 years I was there that were good, Casa Chimayo in Manassas and the Tortilla Factory in Herndon both of which have closed. There was also Pollo Inca in Herndon that was awesome.

Unfortunately we didn't discover them before they closed. :) The last time we tried it there was just after our boat tour so it was a high level fine dining restaurant right on the river. They advertised themselves as Spanish/Mexican cuisine. But oh my. We paid three prices to get a meal that was really disappointing. :)

Forum List

Back