USMB Coffee Shop IV

Just got a call from Docs office.
His MUGA reading is at 23.4.
Not good ,he has regressed from being in mid 30's.
I take him in to the Docs on Fri. at 8:30 a. m.
It means he needs a pump a defibrillator put in.
After the surgery he should feel much better and with more energy.

Well shoot. Hoped for a better report. But now we'll hope for a super successful remedy.

Yes, it's been a long seven months.
He had the test done Thursday and did not receive a call till today.
Thing of it is, he just had to rebel (like always- at least once when serious & more often when not so serious) and stopped wearing the vest Fri. - till today. When he talked to his heart docs assistant she was able to talk him back into it, at least till friday.
Stubborn German! :biggrin:
I've been married to a German for 56 years. I call her Eisenkopf. Ironhead.

Milk... Butter... No way! I've just prepared a casserole of salad, to eat it for some days.
6 boiled eggs. Three packages of crab sticks. 2 tins of corn. 2 onions and a pack of mayo. All products are cutted and mixed. After the several hours in refrigerator it would be excellent. Tomorrow my breakfast would be tasty! :)
OK, that does look interesting, I might have to try it. How much is a pack of mayo?

A small pack. Just on your taste. And two onions may be too wicked for you - use it carefully. Children usually eat this salad without onions...
Onions are a vegetable in my book, not just something for flavor. I love onions! How many grams in you pack of mayo and the crab sticks? I might halve your recipe, though, since I'll be eating it alone.

Well, it's all chemicals and compounds. Some just occur naturally, others don't. ;)

True. But butter is one that occurs naturally with a little encouragement from the butter churn. Margarine is manufactured and IMO becomes an artificial food quite different from the ingredients that go into it.
Margerine is chemical crap. Butter is better, IMHO. I can make butter from goat's milk, but need a centrifuge to separate enough milk fat to do so. Cow's milk separates milk fat better and leaves more to make butter. I use unsalted butter, personally. I can add my own salt, if needed.
I had a girlfriend in college who said the one luxury she would never deny herself was real butter rather than margarine. I agreed with her and have not bought margarine since. My brother is the same way with real maple syrup.

I have switched to skim milk. In my ever closing dotage I find skim easier and more pleasant to drink than 2%. Also I have switched from standard frankfurters to Nathan's simply for the taste and nostalgia for my frequent visits to Mew York City.
I agree about the butter. Hell, if you're gonna die anyway, why not enjoy the trip. Butter is better than any chemical substitute. Do you remember when margarine came with a color pellet that you broke and mashed into the mess?
I drink whole goat's milk, when I drink milk. I prefer milk processed into yogurt or cheese. If I can ever find a decent culture, I'll start making kefir again, too. If you're having difficulty with regular milk, you might try goat milk.
I don't remember uncolored margarine but I remember whole milk in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers and delivered to a little metal box on the back porch. Pop would pour off the cream for coffee or Wheatina.

I saw goat's milk in the dairy case at $4.00 a quart! Folks make goat's milk fudge at the holidays as a great treat.
OH, yeah! Goat's milk from the grocery store is pretty much the same substandard, over-processed swill as cow's milk from the same source. Any time they have to "fortify" something, it's been trashed by the processors. And goat's milk from the grocery here costs close to $25/gal. I charge my customers the equivalent of $10/gal for fresh, whole, unprocessed milk.

Well, it's all chemicals and compounds. Some just occur naturally, others don't. ;)

True. But butter is one that occurs naturally with a little encouragement from the butter churn. Margarine is manufactured and IMO becomes an artificial food quite different from the ingredients that go into it.
Margerine is chemical crap. Butter is better, IMHO. I can make butter from goat's milk, but need a centrifuge to separate enough milk fat to do so. Cow's milk separates milk fat better and leaves more to make butter. I use unsalted butter, personally. I can add my own salt, if needed.
I had a girlfriend in college who said the one luxury she would never deny herself was real butter rather than margarine. I agreed with her and have not bought margarine since. My brother is the same way with real maple syrup.

I have switched to skim milk. In my ever closing dotage I find skim easier and more pleasant to drink than 2%. Also I have switched from standard frankfurters to Nathan's simply for the taste and nostalgia for my frequent visits to Mew York City.
I agree about the butter. Hell, if you're gonna die anyway, why not enjoy the trip. Butter is better than any chemical substitute. Do you remember when margarine came with a color pellet that you broke and mashed into the mess?
I drink whole goat's milk, when I drink milk. I prefer milk processed into yogurt or cheese. If I can ever find a decent culture, I'll start making kefir again, too. If you're having difficulty with regular milk, you might try goat milk.
During WWII, butter was rationed but margarine wasn't. Margarine was white and it came with an orange capsule that you squeezed till it broke and you used your fingers to squish the mixture till it turned yellow. My grand parents had milk cows so we had real butter. Meat was rationed except liver and fish. Liver on Tuesdays and fish on Fridays was the norm. Tires were rationed and once my mother had a blowout and it took a month till the tire came to the dealer. Them were the Good Ol' Days.
Yup, you know what I'm talking about.

In my continuing efforts to make lemonade from my unemployment, I am going to do something I have wanted to attempt for a long time. Seems this Sunday they are giving the MENSA test an hour and a half from my home. Normally $60 bucks, it is half price this month, so I decided to take the test. Not sure what to do if I pass. Do you put it on a resume? About the only thing I would possibly do with it is tell anonymous people on a message board, then people could deny I did it.

:lol:

:) I thought about this test - why no? It would be interesting to get it by half price...

p.s. try Mensa IQ Test first, it's free

Last edited:
Milk... Butter... No way! I've just prepared a casserole of salad, to eat it for some days.
6 boiled eggs. Three packages of crab sticks. 2 tins of corn. 2 onions and a pack of mayo. All products are cutted and mixed. After the several hours in refrigerator it would be excellent. Tomorrow my breakfast would be tasty! :)
OK, that does look interesting, I might have to try it. How much is a pack of mayo?

A small pack. Just on your taste. And two onions may be too wicked for you - use it carefully. Children usually eat this salad without onions...
Onions are a vegetable in my book, not just something for flavor. I love onions! How many grams in you pack of mayo and the crab sticks? I might halve your recipe, though, since I'll be eating it alone.

Рецепт: Салатик из крабовых палочек на RussianFood.com

200 g crab sticks, 5 boiled eggs, 1 tin of corn, 1 onion, 150-200 g of mayo. It easily lives in refrigerator for a 1-2 days and becomes more tasty :)))

There are some else tasty types of salads, you could make and enjoy :) Olivie, salad with cabbage and green peas, and with red/white beans and croutons... But I intend to make salad from tomatoes, onion and garlic this evening. All this salads are with mayo.

Last edited:
In my continuing efforts to make lemonade from my unemployment, I am going to do something I have wanted to attempt for a long time. Seems this Sunday they are giving the MENSA test an hour and a half from my home. Normally $60 bucks, it is half price this month, so I decided to take the test. Not sure what to do if I pass. Do you put it on a resume? About the only thing I would possibly do with it is tell anonymous people on a message board, then people could deny I did it.

:lol:

:) I thought about this test - why no? It would be interesting to get it by half price...

p.s. try Mensa IQ Test first, it's free

Some of the later ones in that test seemed to have no pattern at all. :p

It gave me a 121, which is close enough to the last time I took an actual IQ test, I think.

So I had a MAJOR BUG problem in my shop, and when I took a patio door out and installed a small garage door in it's place for the JD tractor, I found out why. The person who built my shop didn't put any sheathing plywood on it, just inch hard foam insulation and the tin over that, and the bugs, (box elder bugs and those little chinese beetles), were waltzing in through the massive cracks and gaps in the walls like all the doors and windows were open. Well, luckily I have a neighbor right behind me that's a carpenter, so I hired him up to rip off all the old tin, that was exceedingly put on very sloppy, and the hard foam insulation, and put all new OSB plywood on with Tyvek wind wrap and new vinyl siding. This is how it started out with the new OSB going up...

IMG_0011_zps0fhbxd1x.jpg

Here you can see the transformation. The front is done, the east end is done, the back is almost done with a little left to do on the dormer, and then we'll attack the west end you can see in this picture still with the old tin. Going to be a real nice building when it's done...

20170703_151630_zpscmsst3ee.jpg

Wow. Very nice. A whole bunch of us would love to have that building on our property. What's upstairs? Just storage or do you use it for something else?
It's just one big open area upstairs right now, and I have "stuff" stored up there. Lots of room up there...

20170703_114933_zpskpcclj55.jpg

You can see here that the middle window, which wasn't really a window anyway, just a double pane of glass that the idiot builder stuck in there and used putty to hold it in, it was removed and the window next to it moved over, which spaced them all perfect. In all 6 windows have been removed, and they were all those double panes of glass of varying sizes held in with nothing more than putty...

20170703_115039_zpso5c0zlbm.jpg
I like the gambrel roof and the dormers a lot! Lots more headroom than a gable end roof. Is there plumbing in there? It looks as if you could even put a small apartment upstairs.
It is plumbed in with my septic system but there's no water in there. That's coming though. Probably going to drill a hole in floor somewhere in there and pound a sand point down. Yeah it's kinda outlaw but around these backwoods parts, no one really cares and most do it. We have great water here and it's not very far down, and plenty of it.

I've probably been asked more times if I was going to build an apartment up there and rent it out more than anything else about that shop. There really is a lot of room upstairs and would make a very roomy apartment, but after seeing what a couple friends of mine have gone through with rental properties, I wouldn't wish that nightmare on my worst enemy. I have a lot of time to think about what I'll do up there besides simply being a place to pile junk.

Breakfast for me is almost always a bold of cold cereal and milk. :)
I finally found my Nature's Path Heritage Flakes up here so I'm happy now. Sometimes I mix vanilla yogurt with Nature Valley Pecan Bars for breakfast.

I'm not too picky about my cereal. I don't like them all, but I will eat quite a few. I don't worry about all natural or organic or anything like that. I just want tasty. :)
Most cereal eaters would compare it to eating cardboard because it doesn't have the high sugar content, I think it's more than sweet enough.
Yep that's me. I do enjoy the Fruit Loops and Apple Jacks, usually late in the, early evening as a snack. Gotta have some eggs and hash browns for breakfast.

About three hours of sleep and I'm awake......... Not cause I want to be but because of the discomfort from an injury that sent me to the ER yesterday evening. Trying to clear out the big room and set up the exercise equipment, a couple of days ago it had a narrow aisle down the middle. First thing was set up a free mattress/box spring city pickup (2 old mattresses and one old box spring), they were in the small bedroom we are temporarily using as a storage room surrounded by filled boxes. We started clearing the room yesterday so we could properly arrange it to get the most in there as possible, last night (yesterday) I was almost done, one large heavy box to stack on top of a small table (a box I had already moved twice), picked the box up, heard and felt a loud 'POP' in my left shoulder followed by a brief moment of severe pain........ looks like I tore the rotator cuff but I won't know for three weeks if it was a full or partial tear, in the meantime I'm in a sling gettin' high on Oxy and barely able to use the arm at all.

About three hours of sleep and I'm awake......... Not cause I want to be but because of the discomfort from an injury that sent me to the ER yesterday evening. Trying to clear out the big room and set up the exercise equipment, a couple of days ago it had a narrow aisle down the middle. First thing was set up a free mattress/box spring city pickup (2 old mattresses and one old box spring), they were in the small bedroom we are temporarily using as a storage room surrounded by filled boxes. We started clearing the room yesterday so we could properly arrange it to get the most in there as possible, last night (yesterday) I was almost done, one large heavy box to stack on top of a small table (a box I had already moved twice), picked the box up, heard and felt a loud 'POP' in my left shoulder followed by a brief moment of severe pain........ looks like I tore the rotator cuff but I won't know for three weeks if it was a full or partial tear, in the meantime I'm in a sling gettin' high on Oxy and barely able to use the arm at all.
Man that SUCKS. I have a good friend that ripped shoulder ligaments and he needed surgery. Took him a couple years to get back to normal. Sure don't mean to be the purveyor of bad news but, yeah that shoulder stuff can be bad. I hope your's isn't that bad.

Dang Ringel. You sure didn't need that. Why does it take three weeks to find out?

Man that SUCKS. I have a good friend that ripped shoulder ligaments and he needed surgery. Took him a couple years to get back to normal. Sure don't mean to be the purveyor of bad news but, yeah that shoulder stuff can be bad. I hope your's isn't that bad.
Thanks, won't know for about 3 weeks if I need surgery or not, they'll wait that long to make sure the swelling goes down before doing a MRI. The good thing these days is they get you going on motion (PT) almost immediately, the sooner you can move it the faster (and better) it heals.

Dang Ringel. You sure didn't need that. Why does it take three weeks to find out?
They have to make sure the swelling is minimized to get a good look at it via MRI. In the meantime I'm just pissed it happened.

So I had a MAJOR BUG problem in my shop, and when I took a patio door out and installed a small garage door in it's place for the JD tractor, I found out why. The person who built my shop didn't put any sheathing plywood on it, just inch hard foam insulation and the tin over that, and the bugs, (box elder bugs and those little chinese beetles), were waltzing in through the massive cracks and gaps in the walls like all the doors and windows were open. Well, luckily I have a neighbor right behind me that's a carpenter, so I hired him up to rip off all the old tin, that was exceedingly put on very sloppy, and the hard foam insulation, and put all new OSB plywood on with Tyvek wind wrap and new vinyl siding. This is how it started out with the new OSB going up...

IMG_0011_zps0fhbxd1x.jpg

Here you can see the transformation. The front is done, the east end is done, the back is almost done with a little left to do on the dormer, and then we'll attack the west end you can see in this picture still with the old tin. Going to be a real nice building when it's done...

Wow. Very nice. A whole bunch of us would love to have that building on our property. What's upstairs? Just storage or do you use it for something else?
It's just one big open area upstairs right now, and I have "stuff" stored up there. Lots of room up there...

You can see here that the middle window, which wasn't really a window anyway, just a double pane of glass that the idiot builder stuck in there and used putty to hold it in, it was removed and the window next to it moved over, which spaced them all perfect. In all 6 windows have been removed, and they were all those double panes of glass of varying sizes held in with nothing more than putty...

I like the gambrel roof and the dormers a lot! Lots more headroom than a gable end roof. Is there plumbing in there? It looks as if you could even put a small apartment upstairs.
It is plumbed in with my septic system but there's no water in there. That's coming though. Probably going to drill a hole in floor somewhere in there and pound a sand point down. Yeah it's kinda outlaw but around these backwoods parts, no one really cares and most do it. We have great water here and it's not very far down, and plenty of it.

I've probably been asked more times if I was going to build an apartment up there and rent it out more than anything else about that shop. There really is a lot of room upstairs and would make a very roomy apartment, but after seeing what a couple friends of mine have gone through with rental properties, I wouldn't wish that nightmare on my worst enemy. I have a lot of time to think about what I'll do up there besides simply being a place to pile junk.

I would LOVE a large space to pile junk. We use our garage for that, and though there is still room in it for both cars, it would be so much more functional if we had some place to stash the boxes stacked to the rafters in there.

IMG_0011_zps0fhbxd1x.jpg

I know,exactly what you mean about the perils of rentals. I was the county building inspector until my retirement in May. I often said if I ever went insane and became a landlord I'd rent only one bedroom apartments to 75 year old widows. A two bedroom place invites kid and they tear up properties the way horses tear up pastures.

They have to make sure the swelling is minimized to get a good look at it via MRI. In the meantime I'm just pissed it happened.
Too bad man! If you were a major league pitcher you'd be on the fifteen day disabled list. But as a civilian, as it were, you must go through the discomfort of the injury. I feel for you.

Just got a call from Docs office.
His MUGA reading is at 23.4.
Not good ,he has regressed from being in mid 30's.
I take him in to the Docs on Fri. at 8:30 a. m.
It means he needs a pump a defibrillator put in.
After the surgery he should feel much better and with more energy.

Well shoot. Hoped for a better report. But now we'll hope for a super successful remedy.

Yes, it's been a long seven months.
He had the test done Thursday and did not receive a call till today.
Thing of it is, he just had to rebel (like always- at least once when serious & more often when not so serious) and stopped wearing the vest Fri. - till today. When he talked to his heart docs assistant she was able to talk him back into it, at least till friday.
Stubborn German! :biggrin:
I've been married to a German for 56 years. I call her Eisenkopf. Ironhead.

We are both German. :)
Yet very happily, it comes down to size when both stubbornness comes out.
Grizzly bear against 110 lb. Grizzly wins. :biggrin:
He talked to the nurse on the phone so he has it on again, at least till Fri.
Problem is his excessive sweating, which can trigger the shock that he does not need.
Last night even with the air conditioner on ,his sweating woke him up in time before the gel blew and shocked him.
It comes down to a rock and a hard place.

IMG_0011_zps0fhbxd1x.jpg

I know,exactly what you mean about the perils of rentals. I was the county building inspector until my retirement in May. I often said if I ever went insane and became a landlord I'd rent only one bedroom apartments to 75 year old widows. A two bedroom place invites kid and they tear up properties the way horses tear up pastures.

I love children but I agree they can be destructive. I just shake my head at landlords who allow children when they rent properties, but don't allow a dog or cat. I have found the latter, when properly accommodated, to be the far less destructive of the two. :)

Forum List

Back