USMB Coffee Shop IV

So, one of my bartenders does chalk drawings around town for store displays,sale prices and such. Every week or so, she'll do a portrait of someone at Doc's. This is my week.
View attachment 138397

Wow, Ernie, you look good. Do you really like Guinness? :)
I don't drink any alcohol at all. It's been 29 years. The Guinness sign is just something beer distributors pass out to increase sales.

So, one of my bartenders does chalk drawings around town for store displays,sale prices and such. Every week or so, she'll do a portrait of someone at Doc's. This is my week.
View attachment 138397
Looks like she aged you quite a bit giving you the gray hair. You're skin looks a little green too. Kinda funny choice of colors...
She hates me so I expect that from her...

Jess has been with us over 2 years now. I love her to death, but I'll fire her if she wins a quarter off me in the dice game we play daily or if she straightens her curly hair.

View attachment 138397

Wow, Ernie, you look good. Do you really like Guinness? :)
I don't drink any alcohol at all. It's been 29 years. The Guinness sign is just something beer distributors pass out to increase sales.

Damn... But I'm today in mood to walk in any bar and drink a dark beer till I get about 9-10 pints :) But tomorrow unfortunately not a weekend :(( So, I'm staying at home, listening rain and drinking hot tea...

It's amazing what we take for granted how often we use both arms for many tasks........ Taking a shower is now a painful chore........

Having gone through a very severe and painful bout of adhesive capsulitis in my left shoulder (frozen shoulder syndrome) I can sympathise. As you mention, the simplest things caused pain--showering, fastening a seat belt, driving, doing mundane kitchen chores, sleeping. . .

I refused the narcotics after a couple of prescriptions though because they didn't help all that much and ibuprofen and naproxen not only were as effective but also served as anti inflammatories. I am careful to take them only with food though.

I think I am as healed as I am likely to get at this point though. My left arm still doesn't work like an arm is supposed to and I still have occasional moderate but temporary pain in it, and still do physical therapy hoping to regain more function over time.

It's something I can easily live with. But it was no fun.

Last edited:
It's amazing what we take for granted how often we use both arms for many tasks........ Taking a shower is now a painful chore........

Having gone through a very severe and painful bout of adhesive capsulitis in my left shoulder (frozen shoulder syndrome) I can sympathise. As you mention, the simplest things caused pain--showering, fastening a seat belt, driving, doing mundane kitchen chores, sleeping. . .

I refused the narcotics after a couple of prescriptions though because they didn't help all that much and ibuprofen and naproxen not only were as effective but also served as anti inflammatories. I am careful to take them only with food though.

I think I am as healed as I am likely to get at this point though. My left arm still doesn't work like an arm is supposed to and I still have moderate and temporary pain in it, and still do physical therapy hoping to regain more function over time.

But it was no fun.

I'm glad to hear your doing better. I like when you say good thoughts for everyone before the night ends.

It's just one big open area upstairs right now, and I have "stuff" stored up there. Lots of room up there...

20170703_114933_zpskpcclj55.jpg

You can see here that the middle window, which wasn't really a window anyway, just a double pane of glass that the idiot builder stuck in there and used putty to hold it in, it was removed and the window next to it moved over, which spaced them all perfect. In all 6 windows have been removed, and they were all those double panes of glass of varying sizes held in with nothing more than putty...

20170703_115039_zpso5c0zlbm.jpg
I like the gambrel roof and the dormers a lot! Lots more headroom than a gable end roof. Is there plumbing in there? It looks as if you could even put a small apartment upstairs.
It is plumbed in with my septic system but there's no water in there. That's coming though. Probably going to drill a hole in floor somewhere in there and pound a sand point down. Yeah it's kinda outlaw but around these backwoods parts, no one really cares and most do it. We have great water here and it's not very far down, and plenty of it.

I've probably been asked more times if I was going to build an apartment up there and rent it out more than anything else about that shop. There really is a lot of room upstairs and would make a very roomy apartment, but after seeing what a couple friends of mine have gone through with rental properties, I wouldn't wish that nightmare on my worst enemy. I have a lot of time to think about what I'll do up there besides simply being a place to pile junk.
I know,exactly what you mean about the perils of rentals. I was the county building inspector until my retirement in May. I often said if I ever went insane and became a landlord I'd rent only one bedroom apartments to 75 year old widows. A two bedroom place invites kid and they tear up properties the way horses tear up pastures.

I love children but I agree they can be destructive. I just shake my head at landlords who allow children when they rent properties, but don't allow a dog or cat. I have found the latter, when properly accommodated, to be the far less destructive of the two. :)
I agree about the animals. Unfortunately, the law is on the side of child owners. Well behaved, well raised children aren't usually the problem, just as well trained pets are not problems. It's those people who have pets and children they are either unwilling to or incapable of training properly who destroy properties.
Case, in point: I once inspected a rental house where the fourteen year old boy had taken up a new hobby without the knowledge of his mother. She, however, never ventured upstairs, preferring to recline on the sofa, eat Twinkies by the careful and watch Jerry Springer. Her girth prevented her from climbing the stairs. And I had some reservations about the structural integrity of the stringers and tread.

Meanwhile, the son remained in his room pursuing his new hobby. That hobby was knife throwing and his target was the once beautiful six panel solid wood door of his bedroom.

I like the gambrel roof and the dormers a lot! Lots more headroom than a gable end roof. Is there plumbing in there? It looks as if you could even put a small apartment upstairs.
It is plumbed in with my septic system but there's no water in there. That's coming though. Probably going to drill a hole in floor somewhere in there and pound a sand point down. Yeah it's kinda outlaw but around these backwoods parts, no one really cares and most do it. We have great water here and it's not very far down, and plenty of it.

I've probably been asked more times if I was going to build an apartment up there and rent it out more than anything else about that shop. There really is a lot of room upstairs and would make a very roomy apartment, but after seeing what a couple friends of mine have gone through with rental properties, I wouldn't wish that nightmare on my worst enemy. I have a lot of time to think about what I'll do up there besides simply being a place to pile junk.
I know,exactly what you mean about the perils of rentals. I was the county building inspector until my retirement in May. I often said if I ever went insane and became a landlord I'd rent only one bedroom apartments to 75 year old widows. A two bedroom place invites kid and they tear up properties the way horses tear up pastures.

I love children but I agree they can be destructive. I just shake my head at landlords who allow children when they rent properties, but don't allow a dog or cat. I have found the latter, when properly accommodated, to be the far less destructive of the two. :)
I agree about the animals. Unfortunately, the law is on the side of child owners. Well behaved, well raised children aren't usually the problem, just as well trained pets are not problems. It's those people who have pets and children they are either unwilling to or incapable of training properly who destroy properties.
Case, in point: I once inspected a rental house where the fourteen year old boy had taken up a new hobby without the knowledge of his mother. She, however, never ventured upstairs, preferring to recline on the sofa, eat Twinkies by the careful and watch Jerry Springer. Her girth prevented her from climbing the stairs. And I had some reservations about the structural integrity of the stringers and tread.

Meanwhile, the son remained in his room pursuing his new hobby. That hobby was knife throwing and his target was the once beautiful six panel solid wood door of his bedroom.

:( I hope the landlord required a substantial deposit.

All the landlord wanted was his Section 8 voucher payment. He lived out of town and put as much money into his investment as I spend at Dairy Queen. And I'm diabetic.

Took getting out of the car business to have time, but I went to an auction today with another dealer friend of mine. For the first time, I helped a bit by checking the condition of a few cars before the auction began and we were successful in bidding on a 2009 Cavalier with 65,0000 miles for $2500. It should make a nice profit for my friend. Also helped I rode along, because I could drive the car to his house.

Took getting out of the car business to have time, but I went to an auction today with another dealer friend of mine. For the first time, I helped a bit by checking the condition of a few cars before the auction began and we were successful in bidding on a 2009 Cavalier with 65,0000 miles for $2500. It should make a nice profit for my friend. Also helped I rode along, because I could drive the car to his house.

I assume that's 65,000 miles and not 650,000 miles?

Yesterday I pulled the trailer out of the garage for the last time. I'll still be here until the end of summer. I want to have the trailer moved and parked in Willow before the snow flies. Now I have the Herculean task of cleaning the garage and stable here before I go. I have to finish hanging the poultry netting and the cat "yard" will be finished, allowing the cats access to out-of-doors (kinda).
The tiny kitten slept all night on my shoulder, briefly waking when I readjusted my position. He'd nuzzle my hair and ear and then settle back down with his tiny, little purr motor running smoothly. He's almost ready to go to his new home, I think.
My daughter called yesterday. Sachenda's been in hospice for several days now. She's being given the maximum morphine and another pain killer possible but nothing is helping her pain. The drugs knock her out for a few minutes and then she wakes again, screaming in pain. My daughter has been fending off well-meaning relatives and neighbors, and has had to get pretty tough with a few. She's now taking over duties to plan for Sachenda's funeral. Sachenda's husband is a total mess and not functioning fully right now. Everyone is hoping she passes soon, her pain is so intense. I think the worst in all this mess is that Sachenda's husband is questioning his faith. He's always been a good churchman and unshakable in his belief. While I might be crossing a line here, I do ask that those of you who are like mind help him with your prayers. Others like myself, I'd hope you all can understand and send your best wishes to help a good person through some very tough times.
Thanks!

I mention Sachendra, her family and her friend your daughter in my prayers every day. I will add some emphasis with this new news though.

I think I am as healed as I am likely to get at this point though. My left arm still doesn't work like an arm is supposed to and I still have occasional moderate but temporary pain in it, and still do physical therapy hoping to regain more function over time.

It's something I can easily live with. But it was no fun.
I've already started lightly working the shoulder/arm per Dr's instructions so as to prevent frozen shoulder. I only use the sling for short periods of time when it becomes very sore and I'm constantly icing it, 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, the Oxy I will only use if I have to. Lifting the arm is extremely painful and holding even an empty glass is difficult due to the pain and weakness and for someone who's right handed I use my left for more things than I realized.

All the landlord wanted was his Section 8 voucher payment. He lived out of town and put as much money into his investment as I spend at Dairy Queen. And I'm diabetic.
Sounds like a lot of landlords including our last one in El Paso.

I knew one landlord who, when I reported water stains on the second floor ceilings (along the exterior walls) which indicated a leaking roof, he sent in his "handy man".

This idiot went into the attic and coated the underside of the roof sheeting with roofing cement. As if that would "repair" the roof!

Another landlord installed a 100 amp service himself. But he put all the 120 volt breakers on one side of the box and the 220 volt breakers on the other!

Want more? How about the landlord who had a fireplace built in a living room where the fire box was only five inches deep. When I cited it as a hazard, he installed an electric range hood between the fire box and the damper.

Or the guy who had plumbed the discharge from the kitchen sink into the bowl of the basement toilet.

Or the landlord who evicted his tenant rather than repoint the mortar that had rotted away on the chimney section in the attic. That's where the chimney was korbeled to accommodate a 90 degree twist that let it out of the ridge of the roof with the wide edge of the chimney facing the street.

How about the landlord who plumbed the discharge of the washing machine just outside the basement window and wondered why the foundation at that point was so susceptible to infiltration.

Oh, I got a million of 'em!

I met the county restaurant inspector at a rib fest. If you ever have the chance to sit between a building inspector and a restaurant inspector at a social function, sit down and strap 'em on tight! You're gonna hear the most blood cuddling stories ever!

Last edited:

I knew one landlord who, when I reported water stains on the second floor ceilings (along the exterior walls) which indicated a leaking roof, he sent in his "handy man".

This idiot went into the attic and coated the underside of the roof sheeting with roofing cement. As if that would "repair" the roof!

Another landlord installed a 100 amp service himself. But he put all the 120 volt breakers on one side of the box and the 220 volt breakers on the other!

Want more? How about the landlord who had a fireplace built in a living room where the fire box was only five inches deep. When I cited it as a hazard, he installed an electric range hood between the fire box and the damper.

Or the guy who had plumbed the discharge from the kitchen sink into the bowl of the basement toilet.

Or the landlord who evicted his tenant rather than repoint the mortar that had rotted away on the chimney section in the attic. That's where the chimney was korbeled to accommodate a 90 degree twist that let it out of the ridge of the roof with the wide edge of the chimney facing the street.

How about the landlord who plumbed the discharge of the washing machine just outside the basement window and wondered why the foundation at that point was so susceptible to infiltration.

Oh, I got a million of 'em!

I met the county restaurant inspector at a rib fest. If you ever have the chance to sit between a building inspector and a restaurant inspector at a social function, sit down and strap 'em on tight! You're gonna hear the most blood cuddling stories ever!

Throw a couple of insurance safety inspectors (Hombre & me) into the mix and you will really have something. :)

ood night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Kat & Mr. Kat in transition,
Hossfly's knee surgery,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition and wellness for Ringel,
Dana!!!! (Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant.)
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is Sachendra's last days,
Ringel's injured shoulder,
And for our job hunters.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, SFC Ollie, AgainSheila, and all others we hope will return.

The one thing most of us wants the most is rarely money, power, or glory. There are so many things more important.

For_Peace_and_Pleasure_by_Asura_Valkyrie.jpg

Working on the west end of the shop. Got a real good start. I could see finishing this now month and half old project maybe by Friday. Had to completely tear off the little storage room on the back to access the wall, but it was just as good we did because it was constructed as shoddy as the rest of the work. It'll be rebuilt by a pro now.

Place looks like the Winchester Mansion... "doors to nowhere"... :lol:

20170711_152441_zpsf1icfcxt.jpg

Forum List

Back