USMB Coffee Shop IV

Yep, Foxy, we are back from Hawaii. Had a wonderful time. Did lots of fun stuff. Spent a lot of money! Saw things I've never seen before. Took a swim on the famous Waikiki Beach!!! Now for the bad news... I must be the most unlucky person in the whole world!!! Plane got to O'Hare Airport at 0500 as planned, took the bus to Rockford and picked up the truck from the parking lot and drove home. Wasn't feeling too well. Got home at about 0830 on Wednesday morning. Well, at 0300 on Thursday I woke up and found it very difficult to breathe. Went to the hospital emergency room to find out that somehow I had pneumonia!!! Who goes to Hawaii in July, when it's 85 dregrees with a nice mild breeze and comes home with pneumonia? I was admitted into the hospital and not let out until Friday afternoon. Feeling better now and nearly finished taking the antibiotics and steroids. It's the strangest thing I have ever heard of. Still a bit weak but feeling better everyday. It's an odd thing I tell you. Really really odd!

The one time I flew any distance (it was to Hawaii, too), I came home sick. I thought I was just jet-lagged, so I slept, but then I spiked a fever! It was the damnedest thing. I did recover without a doctor visit. Of course, I was 18, too.

Yep, Foxy, we are back from Hawaii. Had a wonderful time. Did lots of fun stuff. Spent a lot of money! Saw things I've never seen before. Took a swim on the famous Waikiki Beach!!! Now for the bad news... I must be the most unlucky person in the whole world!!! Plane got to O'Hare Airport at 0500 as planned, took the bus to Rockford and picked up the truck from the parking lot and drove home. Wasn't feeling too well. Got home at about 0830 on Wednesday morning. Well, at 0300 on Thursday I woke up and found it very difficult to breathe. Went to the hospital emergency room to find out that somehow I had pneumonia!!! Who goes to Hawaii in July, when it's 85 dregrees with a nice mild breeze and comes home with pneumonia? I was admitted into the hospital and not let out until Friday afternoon. Feeling better now and nearly finished taking the antibiotics and steroids. It's the strangest thing I have ever heard of. Still a bit weak but feeling better everyday. It's an odd thing I tell you. Really really odd!

Oh wow BBD. We should have had you on the list. But at least you had the good sense to get to the doctor and get it taken care of. Nasty stuff but at least much more treatable than it used to be. So glad you had a great vacation, and really REALLY glad you are feeling better now.

The one time I flew any distance (it was to Hawaii, too), I came home sick. I thought I was just jet-lagged, so I slept, but then I spiked a fever! It was the damnedest thing. I did recover without a doctor visit. Of course, I was 18, too.

I think sometimes those long flights on airplanes that just keep circulating the same air are conducive to concentrating whatever bugs the passengers are spreading.

And how are you doing now ricechickie after your own recent bout in the hospital? On a normal diet yet?

I think sometimes those long flights on airplanes that just keep circulating the same air are conducive to concentrating whatever bugs the passengers are spreading.

And how are you doing now ricechickie after your own recent bout in the hospital? On a normal diet yet?

Much better, thanks. I can eat normally, but I don't want to. I'm sort of staying on half clear liquid diet, eating less solid food, until I have my appetite back to normal. But my energy has pretty much returned, so I go back to work tomorrow.

Mor'naan everyone.

OK, so it turns out I'm a bit of a prodigy when it comes to Algebra and all of its glorious operations.

However... Calculus is hard, and my grades in that class are consistently the Median score (86% GPA), in spite of my best efforts. The Calc-based Physics professor has agreed to tutor me and one other classmate for the remaining 3 weeks of this session.

On the positive side, I can now identify every derivative, logarithm, quadratic, and even give the equation for that symmetrical function wrt/ Origin now..... :cuckoo:

bcf.png

Hey glad you checked in Sixfoot. I have been wondering about you.

My son, a successful professional engineer for quite some time now, breezed through algebra in high school and college but he had a terrible time with Calculus and flunked Calculus I twice before he agreed to listen to his mom and got a tutor. Third time he scored a B+ and by that time had mastered the concepts so that he had no problem with the upper level Calculus courses.

Sounds like you're going to get it the first time through though.

Awhile back we had a discussion on calculus and whether anybody really uses it any more--programmers do according to the experts--and I texted him to ask him whether he still uses his calculus. And he said almost never but the guys who write their software do use it. Shortly after he posted this photo of a problem he just solved as evidence he still could if he had to.

He captioned it that the answer was 6

19396789_1738763759468816_4058690079493590645_n.jpg

Mor'naan everyone.

OK, so it turns out I'm a bit of a prodigy when it comes to Algebra and all of its glorious operations.

However... Calculus is hard, and my grades in that class are consistently the Median score (86% GPA), in spite of my best efforts. The Calc-based Physics professor has agreed to tutor me and one other classmate for the remaining 3 weeks of this session.

On the positive side, I can now identify every derivative, logarithm, quadratic, and even give the equation for that symmetrical function wrt/ Origin now..... :cuckoo:

bcf.png

My son, a successful professional engineer for quite some time now, breezed through algebra in high school and college but he had a terrible time with Calculus and flunked Calculus I twice before he agreed to listen to his mom and got a tutor. Third time he scored a B+ and by that time had mastered the concepts so that he had no problem with the upper level Calculus courses.

Awhile back we had a discussion on calculus and whether anybody really uses it any more--programmers do according to the experts--and I texted him to ask him whether he still uses his calculus. And he said almost never but the guys who write their software do use it. Shortly after he posted this photo of a problem he just solved as evidence he still could if he had to.

Thank you for reminding me why I bought this whiteboard. lol

If he has a minute, can you ask him if I got this right? I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing here. :eek:

Edit to add: original pic was too large to upload.
20170801_131438.jpg

:eusa_whistle:
I hope you're wearing a mask and gloves. Fiberglass can be pretty nasty if you breath it, and it can get itchy on your skin.

Yes I am.
I have the professional masks that catches that stuff and gloves too.
Thank you for your concern. :)
Long sleeves and pants.

:biggrin:

Am I allowed to sit on top of the bag to pack it down?
Only in long pants, especially if you plan on being seen in public.

OK, adoptive big brother. :)
You know that litter sisters never listen to their older siblings don't you? :rofl:
Seeing our other sister is about your age, I know full well about that lack of respect for wisdom and experience.:eusa_whistle:

One of my neighbors has a lemon tree and invites me over every time around this year, to pick some .
I got about 5lbs. of them picked this morning and just got done with making fresh squeezed juice.
It's great for fish seasonings.
I also make a glass of lemonade every once in a while for me ,since hubby can't have sugar. :)

I have done five of the following six things. Guess which one is not true.

1- Driven a motorcycle at 120 miles an hour
2- Jumped from an airplane at 2500 feet
3- Stolen a piece of marble from the roman forum
4-Stoned a police station breaking windows.
5-Punched a vicar
6-Smoked pot

Mor'naan everyone.

bcf.png

Thank you for reminding me why I bought this whiteboard. lol

If he has a minute, can you ask him if I got this right? I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing here. :eek:

Edit to add: original pic was too large to upload.View attachment 141552

If I remember I'll send it to him but he may not answer very quickly. He's on vacation.

5-Punched a vicar
6-Smoked pot
I've only done 2.

:eusa_whistle:
Yes I am.
I have the professional masks that catches that stuff and gloves too.
Thank you for your concern. :)
Long sleeves and pants.

:biggrin:

Am I allowed to sit on top of the bag to pack it down?
Only in long pants, especially if you plan on being seen in public.

OK, adoptive big brother. :)
You know that litter sisters never listen to their older siblings don't you? :rofl:
Seeing our other sister is about your age, I know full well about that lack of respect for wisdom and experience.:eusa_whistle:

Once you go bohemian you're always bohemian. :)

upload_2017-8-1_14-25-58.png

5-Punched a vicar
6-Smoked pot
I've only done 2.

I am guessing you have driven a motorcycle at 120 mph or more, and smoked pot.

Just wandering by to say hello.

So. Hello. :)

Gracie!!!! Hello! Where are you? Did you move?
I am living in...cough...Paradise Ca. Google it. Very pretty...VERY HOT. It is 101 today and at "home" it is 61. Which is why I miss my beach. But..that life is over. Time to get over it, I tell myself. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Been in a deep dark hole but a very kind friend tossed me a rope ladder. I am about 1/4th of the way up. Gonna take awhile to get back to where I used to be.

Inlaws are on their way to Pearce Az tomorrow for a permanent move. They wanted us to come with. I said not only hell no, but HAYELL no. However, I learned recently that one should never say never. For now...we are surviving ok. Can't beat the medical and dental offered here..which is why Northern Calif is better than central calif.....minus the awful weather. I don't know how people survive here. Summers are horrid. I am eager for fall..and yes....winter.

Oh..and I have always been afraid of bears. Guess what visits us every night rummaging around in the compost pile? (I have an awesome veggie garden growing and the wild blackberries are a lure too). Black bear. Neighbors caught it on their night camera pilfering in their trash then filmed it coming into our back yard picking out goodies from the compost pile. Needless to say...I no longer take really long walks around the neighborhood in the wee hours. I do it at dusk so I don't run in to Yogi or BooBoo. :D

Forum List

Back