USMB Coffee Shop IV

I was looking at this place. It looks nice and is very affordable.
We like it quiet. :)

Have you heard anything about these little cottages?
It looks lovely, plus it's big enough for you and any of your friends who might want to hang out with us there for like lunches and dinners.
Kayaker Haven and Riverside Retreat! - VRBO

Or this place looks nice
Beautiful 3 bedroom 2 bath Condo located sh... - VRBO
The first place is very close to my partners' place in an area called Bon Secour. It's right on the Bon Secour river. Maybe a 10 to 15 minute drive from Doc's.
The second place is very close to Tanger Outlets (mall), close to Owa, our new amusement park that is partially open for about 3 weeks and 2 miles, maybe 4 minutes from Doc's.
images

How are you doing Ernie? Healing up well I hope!
Still limp a bit, Chris, but not hurting hardly at all. The neuropathy is no longer painful, but the inside of my calf and behind my knee are numb. I guess that means something is reconnecting. The mobility of the knee has improved a lot but not to where it needs to be. Tomorrow at 10:30 I go for my last evaluation. There is some chance I may need a knee replacement, but we shan't worry about that right now.

Still getting physical therapy?
Nope I've been free from the physical terrorists for a month now. Good news yesterday! I broke up with my orthopedist. Our monthly dates have come to an end and I have been proclaimed well on my road to recovery.
Of course, I think I should be 100% by this point, but realistically, I will be "nearly 100%" in about 6 months.

For the first time, there will be 2 bands sharing the stage at Doc Holliday's The first is our house favorite, The Jason Abel Project. They will be followed by "Heavy Funk" all the way from Pensacola FL. (25 miles or so)

Oh, I'm sure you will be back to your old self (or as close to it as possible) in no time at all. Just be very careful not to push it and reinjure yourself. You are very prone to reinjury right now, especially if you are impatient and try to push it too hard. ;)

Great news that you are able to participate in your bar activities again too. See? Things are moving along nicely for you, maybe not as quickly as you would like but you will get there eventually.

My Kindle appears to be dying. It started resetting itself yesterday (which has happened before), but did not want to finish loading after the reset. It was caught in a loop of restarting, beginning to load, and freezing. I eventually got it to work by plugging it into my PC. We took the little one to karate, and it started resetting itself again. This time it went to a completely black screen, which I've never seen before. Then, when it did eventually go back to normal, it moved on to a completely white screen. At this point, it seems as though I need to plug the Kindle into my PC almost every time I want to turn it on. Once I have it on, it works fine, but after I turn it off, turning it back on is an issue.

I went on ebay and bought a Kobo reader. Apparently they are made by Barnes & Nobles. The one I got is new, but an older version. It will require me to convert all of my mobi files into epub files, so I'm doing that on the second PC right now. It comes with 100 "classics," such as Pride & Prejudice, loaded on it; I'm curious what those books will be. It has less memory than my Kindle keyboard, but 1GB should be plenty of space, and it can take an SD card to expand the memory.

Mostly I'm just hoping that it will not cause issues when I load my books onto it, that the screen is as easy to read as the Kindle, that it is relatively comfortable to use, and that the battery doesn't drain super fast. I don't need extra features in an ereader. It only cost $27, so if it works well and I can use it for as long as I have my Kindle (just over 6 years), it will be great.

Luckily I still have a bunch of paper books if I continue to have ereader problems. :)

I think my laptop may be dying. A few times now when I've turned it on, it has lines going across the screen, as if my monitor is ready to kick the bucket, then it clears up and will be fine, but when I go to turn it on again, same thing happens. Could be time to invest in a new laptop. :dunno:

You might be able to just replace a component, say the video card. I've never replaced laptop parts, so I couldn't really advise you. I only deal with PCs. ;)

Of course, if you don't need too much out of it, a new laptop doesn't have to cost that much.

That's true. I bought a couple of Asus 15" at under $300 each for myself and Hombre to use in the great room to play games or do Facebook or whatever while watching TV in the evenings. They are fine for that. For heavy duty stuff though, we prefer our PCs in the office from where we can see what is going on in the great room and kitchen and front porch, walk, and yard.

I have my PC for work purposes, but I can't use that for anything but work because of confidentiality purposes and security (I could make a political joke here, but I digress :p).

Just got back from running errands and just in time too....... If I had been out any longer I might have gone postal on these clueless, distracted morons. They are everywhere today, on the roads, in the stores, etc......... Thankfully we weren't in a high crime area, we'd be looking at nothing but easy marks being accosted around every corner.........
There must be something in the air. It's been nuts up here, too. Or maybe the snowbirds finally made it up and are now clogging our roads with those monster condos on wheels they seem to favor. Of course, the statewide season of road destruction has reached its peak frenzy because they're trying to get their "repairs" finished before the snow flies.

I don't know. Doesn't sound like something new to me. I see these kinds of people every single day, unfortunately.
I am looking forward to retiring in a year or two. I won't have to drive somewhere every day. Once the snow flies in winter, I will hopefully have enough wood put up so I won't have to cut or split any before Spring. I have plenty of crafts projects, and the cabin is an ongoing project itself. I'll have my little loft set up for crafting so I can escape the partner if I need to. I'll have my animals (goats and chickens at first), and my garden to keep me busy, and fed pretty well.

Yeah, you seem like the type of person who needs to stay busy, and I'm sure there is plenty for you to do.

My Kindle appears to be dying. It started resetting itself yesterday (which has happened before), but did not want to finish loading after the reset. It was caught in a loop of restarting, beginning to load, and freezing. I eventually got it to work by plugging it into my PC. We took the little one to karate, and it started resetting itself again. This time it went to a completely black screen, which I've never seen before. Then, when it did eventually go back to normal, it moved on to a completely white screen. At this point, it seems as though I need to plug the Kindle into my PC almost every time I want to turn it on. Once I have it on, it works fine, but after I turn it off, turning it back on is an issue.

I went on ebay and bought a Kobo reader. Apparently they are made by Barnes & Nobles. The one I got is new, but an older version. It will require me to convert all of my mobi files into epub files, so I'm doing that on the second PC right now. It comes with 100 "classics," such as Pride & Prejudice, loaded on it; I'm curious what those books will be. It has less memory than my Kindle keyboard, but 1GB should be plenty of space, and it can take an SD card to expand the memory.

Mostly I'm just hoping that it will not cause issues when I load my books onto it, that the screen is as easy to read as the Kindle, that it is relatively comfortable to use, and that the battery doesn't drain super fast. I don't need extra features in an ereader. It only cost $27, so if it works well and I can use it for as long as I have my Kindle (just over 6 years), it will be great.

Luckily I still have a bunch of paper books if I continue to have ereader problems. :)

I think my laptop may be dying. A few times now when I've turned it on, it has lines going across the screen, as if my monitor is ready to kick the bucket, then it clears up and will be fine, but when I go to turn it on again, same thing happens. Could be time to invest in a new laptop. :dunno:

You might be able to just replace a component, say the video card. I've never replaced laptop parts, so I couldn't really advise you. I only deal with PCs. ;)

Of course, if you don't need too much out of it, a new laptop doesn't have to cost that much.

Nah, I would just get a new one. It was a cheap one anyways, and they are probably only really designed to last for like 3-5 years. Contribute to the economy, you know? :D

Well..I have news of the inlaws. Wanna hear? :D

I know I should not be grinning, but..its hard to be sympathetic, especially when they refused us a roof until we could find our own. Now, they are roofless. They got the mobile home, but can't live in it yet. No money to turn on the power. Nothing like living in a metal box with no electric, no swamp cooler (which it has), no beds, no anything and no money until next month. They called today complaining about not having any money and hinting. I ignored it and said what they said to me "oh, thats so sad".
Now they know what it feels like to have nothing and no place to feel safe.
Karma has a way of making its existence known, doesn't it?
You and Mr. G getting settled in for the winter? I suspect you'll have snow if you're in the mountains.
Trying to prepare. So far, I am still sweltering in this horrible heat. But, its "only" 88 today, so its better than 104. I think fall will hit us early. Don't know why I think that..just feel it in my bones. So, been looking for snow boots at thrift stores. Got everything else. Of course the housemate has shitloads of wood but won't use it...he likes his forced heater that only does the living room when he feels like turning it on..which is rarely. He keeps it at 60 degrees in there. I have to wear a coat during the colder months when I am cooking in the kitchen, which is rare as well, since I cannot abide the stink wafting off the shag carpet that is even in the kitchen. Yes, his kitchen is carpeted.

My goal now is to find our own place up here. No more renting rooms. I want warmth during the winter, coolness during the summer. I don't think that is too much to ask. Oh, and I want a CLEAN home. Having my own, I know it will be.

But, in the meantime, I stay outside even though it is hot as hell, and only come inside at dusk...then I just stay in our rooms and only go out to get a quick bowl of cereal. Cooking in there just makes it hotter since he has no air conditioning and is "used to it" but expects housemates to do the same.
Carpeted kitchen!:cuckoo: Obviously not someone who cleans or he would know better.
88 sounds impossible for me, 104 would just be my death. In this area, temperature extremes run between -40 (rare) and high 70's (rare) with 0 to 65 being normal. We've had the higher temps this summer and I hope we don't get the winter extremes.
I hope you find a cozy little place of your own soon. You seem to be much more positive and I believe that having your own place will bring you even more into equilibrium. As you know, my partner is just such a creature as your current roommate and I can barely stand to go in his place to fetch something I've left there. At least you haven't allowed your roommate to make you into his housekeeper.

Especially thinking of Hossfly tonight and hope all is well or at least much improved with him.

Good night darlinks,

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Kat & Mr. Kat in transition,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana!!!! (Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant.)
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Hossfly's knee surgery,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Beauty in the storm
tp-sunset-silhouette-after-storms-6-25-12.jpg

There is a kid in my neighborhood who has divined the perfect crime. He rides an off road dirt motorcycle. Not a light on the thing, he rides without a helmet. It has been said that if you don't think it's worth it to protect your head, you're probably right. He has modified his little motorcycle to make the exhaust system unnecessarily loud.

His crime is to coast his motorcycle down the street in front of the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate during the wee small hours of the morning, usually around 3:30 am. Then he kick starts it to life, revs the engine and speeds away like a phantom. This wakes me, my dog, my neighbors and their dogs.

While I, like my neighbors, grumbles and tries to fall back to sleep, the dogs are not so easily calmed. They carry on making the human efforts to regain peace nigh on impossible.

It is the perfect crime. He serves his apparent purpose of disturbing the peace (why else would he coast down the hill in silence) while becoming impossible to be punished or caught. We cannot call the cops as he is gone before we can reach the telephone. We cannot prevent him from continuing his reign of din as it happens in the dead of night.

What compels him?
Privileged entitlement? Childhood frivolity? Stupidity? Blatant and total disregard for everyone but himself?
Maybe he's sneaking away from his girlfriend's parent's house by coasting and that little burst of noise is his way of bidding the fair damsel "farewell, adieu, until we meet again"?
That's rather romantic, the secret midnight assignation. But the little turd does it in bright daylight too!

I can hear him rattling down McKinnon Avenue to the south. I can hear him zooming along Maine Boulevard to the ear. I hear him tearing up Anderson Boulevard from the north. And I don't hear him on Orchard Grove Avenue until he stops at the corner right outside my living room and then ignite that engine designed by Lucifer forty feet away as I read or watch a movie.

There is a kid in my neighborhood who has divined the perfect crime. He rides an off road dirt motorcycle. Not a light on the thing, he rides without a helmet. It has been said that if you don't think it's worth it to protect your head, you're probably right. He has modified his little motorcycle to make the exhaust system unnecessarily loud.

His crime is to coast his motorcycle down the street in front of the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate during the wee small hours of the morning, usually around 3:30 am. Then he kick starts it to life, revs the engine and speeds away like a phantom. This wakes me, my dog, my neighbors and their dogs.

While I, like my neighbors, grumbles and tries to fall back to sleep, the dogs are not so easily calmed. They carry on making the human efforts to regain peace nigh on impossible.

It is the perfect crime. He serves his apparent purpose of disturbing the peace (why else would he coast down the hill in silence) while becoming impossible to be punished or caught. We cannot call the cops as he is gone before we can reach the telephone. We cannot prevent him from continuing his reign of din as it happens in the dead of night.

What compels him?
Privileged entitlement? Childhood frivolity? Stupidity? Blatant and total disregard for everyone but himself?
Maybe he's sneaking away from his girlfriend's parent's house by coasting and that little burst of noise is his way of bidding the fair damsel "farewell, adieu, until we meet again"?
That's rather romantic, the secret midnight assignation. But the little turd does it in bright daylight too!

I can hear him rattling down McKinnon Avenue to the south. I can hear him zooming along Maine Boulevard to the ear. I hear him tearing up Anderson Boulevard from the north. And I don't hear him on Orchard Grove Avenue until he stops at the corner right outside my living room and then ignite that engine designed by Lucifer forty feet away as I read or watch a movie.

Those little dirt bikes make a lot of noise, don't they? I have some woods in the back and once in a while, we will get someone riding a dirt bike out there but not too often thankfully. I suppose it would be better during the day than at night when you are trying to sleep though. :)

What compels him?

Those little dirt bikes make a lot of noise, don't they? I have some woods in the back and once in a while, we will get someone riding a dirt bike out there but not too often thankfully. I suppose it would be better during the day than at night when you are trying to sleep though. :)

Many/maybe most of them are not street legal so they don't have to comply with any noise ordinance issues.

What compels him?

Go down to the police station and ask to borrow their spike strips............

What compels him?

There are other motorists, even in the middle of the night. But I would love to push a broomstick between the spokes on his dirt bike!

What compels him?

Many/maybe most of them are not street legal so they don't have to comply with any noise ordinance issues.
There's not a light anywhere in his dirt bike!

What compels him?

There are other motorists, even in the middle of the night. But I would love to push a broomstick between the spokes on his dirt bike!
Call the cops and have them wait out of sight till the catch the little bastard in the act.

What compels him?

Call the cops and have them wait out of sight till the catch the little bastard in the act.
The cops are busy with other things in the middle of the night. My best hope is he will be riding on the streets someday and a cop will see and hear him.

He zips away so quickly, calling the cops is ineffective.

What compels him?

There's not a light anywhere in his dirt bike!

So he isn't street legal. All the more reason the law should be involved.

Forum List

Back