USMB Coffee Shop IV

An update for BBD re: his bathing beauties on Waikiki Beach...

Next phase begins for young monk seal at Kaimana Beach

So in Hawaii you do seal watching like we do eagle watching here? It was bittersweet when our fledgling eagle that we watched hatch and grow in southwest Florida--on an eagle cam of course--flew out to explore per usual one late spring morning and never returned to the nest. That is usually the signal that they are on their own. They think Florida eagles usually wind up in the upper northeast. So another glorious creature is added to nature in America but I still felt like I did when my kids left home.

However with eagles, the parents stay home and the kids move out. Apparently with monk seals, the parents move out and the kids eventually figure out they are on their own.

DHCV3OsXUAAK3C0.jpg

There is a kid in my neighborhood who has divined the perfect crime. He rides an off road dirt motorcycle. Not a light on the thing, he rides without a helmet. It has been said that if you don't think it's worth it to protect your head, you're probably right. He has modified his little motorcycle to make the exhaust system unnecessarily loud.

His crime is to coast his motorcycle down the street in front of the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate during the wee small hours of the morning, usually around 3:30 am. Then he kick starts it to life, revs the engine and speeds away like a phantom. This wakes me, my dog, my neighbors and their dogs.

While I, like my neighbors, grumbles and tries to fall back to sleep, the dogs are not so easily calmed. They carry on making the human efforts to regain peace nigh on impossible.

It is the perfect crime. He serves his apparent purpose of disturbing the peace (why else would he coast down the hill in silence) while becoming impossible to be punished or caught. We cannot call the cops as he is gone before we can reach the telephone. We cannot prevent him from continuing his reign of din as it happens in the dead of night.

What compels him?
Privileged entitlement? Childhood frivolity? Stupidity? Blatant and total disregard for everyone but himself?
Maybe he's sneaking away from his girlfriend's parent's house by coasting and that little burst of noise is his way of bidding the fair damsel "farewell, adieu, until we meet again"?
That's rather romantic, the secret midnight assignation. But the little turd does it in bright daylight too!

I can hear him rattling down McKinnon Avenue to the south. I can hear him zooming along Maine Boulevard to the ear. I hear him tearing up Anderson Boulevard from the north. And I don't hear him on Orchard Grove Avenue until he stops at the corner right outside my living room and then ignite that engine designed by Lucifer forty feet away as I read or watch a movie.
Have you considered caltrops?

There is a kid in my neighborhood who has divined the perfect crime. He rides an off road dirt motorcycle. Not a light on the thing, he rides without a helmet. It has been said that if you don't think it's worth it to protect your head, you're probably right. He has modified his little motorcycle to make the exhaust system unnecessarily loud.

His crime is to coast his motorcycle down the street in front of the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate during the wee small hours of the morning, usually around 3:30 am. Then he kick starts it to life, revs the engine and speeds away like a phantom. This wakes me, my dog, my neighbors and their dogs.

While I, like my neighbors, grumbles and tries to fall back to sleep, the dogs are not so easily calmed. They carry on making the human efforts to regain peace nigh on impossible.

It is the perfect crime. He serves his apparent purpose of disturbing the peace (why else would he coast down the hill in silence) while becoming impossible to be punished or caught. We cannot call the cops as he is gone before we can reach the telephone. We cannot prevent him from continuing his reign of din as it happens in the dead of night.

What compels him?
Privileged entitlement? Childhood frivolity? Stupidity? Blatant and total disregard for everyone but himself?
Maybe he's sneaking away from his girlfriend's parent's house by coasting and that little burst of noise is his way of bidding the fair damsel "farewell, adieu, until we meet again"?
That's rather romantic, the secret midnight assignation. But the little turd does it in bright daylight too!

I can hear him rattling down McKinnon Avenue to the south. I can hear him zooming along Maine Boulevard to the ear. I hear him tearing up Anderson Boulevard from the north. And I don't hear him on Orchard Grove Avenue until he stops at the corner right outside my living room and then ignite that engine designed by Lucifer forty feet away as I read or watch a movie.
Have you considered caltrops?
Okay. Please walk me through caltrops and their practical use.

In my feeble imagination, a caltrop could be anything from a fence to a laxative.

Amazing how ole Ma Nature works on the gazillion different varmints we have here on the third rock from the Sun... My ex and some of her fellow office mates are following the movements of a juvenile White Tern that will soon be leaving the nest in downtown Honolulu...

Common Birds of Oahu: Honolulu

They are really beautiful too--dovelike.

Trash cans on opposites sides of the street half-filled with water and a rope tied between them....

Trash cans on opposites sides of the street half-filled with water and a rope tied between them....

:) It would be sooooo tempting. But speaking as your friendly ex-adjuster, in most states no matter how illegal, disgusting, and/or annoying the jerk is, if you set a booby trap and he is injured, you are fully liable for any injuries plus punitive damages. Better let the cops handle it. Surveillance cameras are entirely legal however.

The caltrope would be less likely to cause a crash but I fear it might still be ruled a kind of booby trap.

Last edited:
I just had a craptacular mowing experience.

I usually mow the lawn in an old pair of jeans. Today, I put on those jeans, and the hole where they button, which has been fraying over time, finally gave out. OK, not a big deal, I put on some shorts, instead. I was getting done with the front of the lawn, just one big square left to do, when I feel a sharp pain in my left leg. I look and reach down toward it, but don't see anything. Was I stung by a bee? Bitten by a particularly painful ant? I don't know. I've had a couple of instances in the past where I mowed over a yellow-jacket nest, so I am a bit worried.

I keep mowing, but a short time later, OW! A pain in my right leg. Again, I don't see the culprit, but now I'm pretty sure it's some sort of wasp. To make matters worse, now it's beginning to rain, and I hate mowing a wet lawn. I decide to at least finish the front yard, but I go to the other side of the square I'm working on, figuring I can work my way back toward the area I'd been stung and try to keep an eye out for a nest in the ground.

I get to the other side of the square of grass and start mowing, when OW! Another pain in my right leg. This time, when I look down, I see what I think is a yellow jacket. I can't be certain, since I am wearing sunglasses and I am trying to smack it with my hand, but I'm pretty sure. It may have stung me a fourth time before I get it off of me, and I don't even know if I hit the little bastard or it just flew away. The lawn mower is now rolling down the hill toward the trees, because I let it go as I started hopping and smacking at my leg with this latest sting. I have to run after it before it rolls into the trees and bushes.

I take the mower into the garage, go in the house, and replace the shorts with a regular pair of jeans. I don't get stung again, but I also don't see the nest.

I ended up finishing the yard, but did most of the back in the rain. It's probably an hour or more since I got stung, and my legs still hurt. I took a couple of ibuprofen, hopefully they will help soon. I can barely even see the spots I was stung, but damn! they still hurt a lot for hardly leaving a mark. I feel like pouring gas over that area of the lawn to try to make sure the stupid bug is dead.

:mad:

I usually mow the lawn in an old pair of jeans. Today, I put on those jeans, and the hole where they button, which has been fraying over time, finally gave out. OK, not a big deal, I put on some shorts, instead. I was getting done with the front of the lawn, just one big square left to do, when I feel a sharp pain in my left leg. I look and reach down toward it, but don't see anything. Was I stung by a bee? Bitten by a particularly painful ant? I don't know. I've had a couple of instances in the past where I mowed over a yellow-jacket nest, so I am a bit worried.

I keep mowing, but a short time later, OW! A pain in my right leg. Again, I don't see the culprit, but now I'm pretty sure it's some sort of wasp. To make matters worse, now it's beginning to rain, and I hate mowing a wet lawn. I decide to at least finish the front yard, but I go to the other side of the square I'm working on, figuring I can work my way back toward the area I'd been stung and try to keep an eye out for a nest in the ground.

I get to the other side of the square of grass and start mowing, when OW! Another pain in my right leg. This time, when I look down, I see what I think is a yellow jacket. I can't be certain, since I am wearing sunglasses and I am trying to smack it with my hand, but I'm pretty sure. It may have stung me a fourth time before I get it off of me, and I don't even know if I hit the little bastard or it just flew away. The lawn mower is now rolling down the hill toward the trees, because I let it go as I started hopping and smacking at my leg with this latest sting. I have to run after it before it rolls into the trees and bushes.

I take the mower into the garage, go in the house, and replace the shorts with a regular pair of jeans. I don't get stung again, but I also don't see the nest.

I ended up finishing the yard, but did most of the back in the rain. It's probably an hour or more since I got stung, and my legs still hurt. I took a couple of ibuprofen, hopefully they will help soon. I can barely even see the spots I was stung, but damn! they still hurt a lot for hardly leaving a mark. I feel like pouring gas over that area of the lawn to try to make sure the stupid bug is dead.

Foaming hornet spray is the best. The sting is not as bad as the itching in a few days.

If it's a yellow jacket you have an in-ground nest in your yard near where you were stung.

If it's a yellow jacket you have an in-ground nest in your yard near where you were stung.

Yeah, but I didn't see the nest this time around. I've seen it in the previous experiences I've had with getting stung while mowing.

And my legs still hurt from the stings. :(

Yeah, but I didn't see the nest this time around. I've seen it in the previous experiences I've had with getting stung while mowing.

And my legs still hurt from the stings. :(
Happened to me once but I was swarmed, over 50 stings. I was in mild shock but thank God I'm not allergic.

My Kindle appears to be dying. It started resetting itself yesterday (which has happened before), but did not want to finish loading after the reset. It was caught in a loop of restarting, beginning to load, and freezing. I eventually got it to work by plugging it into my PC. We took the little one to karate, and it started resetting itself again. This time it went to a completely black screen, which I've never seen before. Then, when it did eventually go back to normal, it moved on to a completely white screen. At this point, it seems as though I need to plug the Kindle into my PC almost every time I want to turn it on. Once I have it on, it works fine, but after I turn it off, turning it back on is an issue.

I went on ebay and bought a Kobo reader. Apparently they are made by Barnes & Nobles. The one I got is new, but an older version. It will require me to convert all of my mobi files into epub files, so I'm doing that on the second PC right now. It comes with 100 "classics," such as Pride & Prejudice, loaded on it; I'm curious what those books will be. It has less memory than my Kindle keyboard, but 1GB should be plenty of space, and it can take an SD card to expand the memory.

Mostly I'm just hoping that it will not cause issues when I load my books onto it, that the screen is as easy to read as the Kindle, that it is relatively comfortable to use, and that the battery doesn't drain super fast. I don't need extra features in an ereader. It only cost $27, so if it works well and I can use it for as long as I have my Kindle (just over 6 years), it will be great.

Luckily I still have a bunch of paper books if I continue to have ereader problems. :)

I think my laptop may be dying. A few times now when I've turned it on, it has lines going across the screen, as if my monitor is ready to kick the bucket, then it clears up and will be fine, but when I go to turn it on again, same thing happens. Could be time to invest in a new laptop. :dunno:
I bought a new HP 17" about a month ago. I just couldn't get past the EFCI garbage that Microsoft forces manufacturers to put on their machines in order to install Linux. I tried several distributions and finally got the thing to boot up Linux Mint in what they call "compatibility mode" OK it WILL boot Linux, now I needed to figure out what "compatibility mode" was and pass those options to Kubuntu that I've been using for 5 years or so.
I'm happy to report that I am currently running a fresh install of Kubuntu 17.04. Now I just have to move a couple hundred Gigs of data from the old laptop HD to this one.

You couldn't just format the HD? Or were you setting up a dual boot?
I do need Windows for one site that's written in Silverlight which is a proprietary Windows Java-like system for vector graphics. My County Assessor's site uses it. It's obsolete and Linus and the boys stopped working on a fix a few years ago.
So, yes, the machine is dual boot, but irrelevant. The EFCI garbage is in BIOS and was loading a graphics system that Linux couldn't cope with. The work around was to let the install use native graphics at boot. and once I was into the installer, everything worked.
Haven't moved the data yet. My schedule is kicking hell out of me the last few days. My partners are on vacation and I have a lot on my plate until the 22nd.
Great night at Doc's last night! The Jason Abel project played 2 sets and rocked a full house. They closed about quarter to 11 and Heavy Funk was up and running in about 15 minutes. They are loud and Metal, not exactly what we usually have on stage. What was amazing was that about 1/3 of the folks that were there for J A P left and were replaced by an equal number of people wanting to see Heavy Funk.
The night was actually pretty calm except for the guy who told me to get off HIS bar stool. I assured him he could take his seat when he was through dancing (by himself) but he insisted I get up right then and there. I politely informed him that is was not HIS bar stool, it was MY bar stool, just like every other stool in the house.
Confused him for a while, but the bulb did eventually light up and a while later when he was starting some crap with 2 bad ass biker dudes, he informed security that he knew the owner.
Yeah, well, not all that well. When I told him that he would NOT be buying any more alcohol, he left, quite angry. My bouncer walked out behind him and saw him take a swig from a bottle in his truck, put it in reverse and run backwards into an SUV.
He then pulled forward hitting another car a bit more gently. I grabbed him up through the driver side window and unlocked the doors. My bouncer hopped in, shut off the F 150 and grabbed the keys.
Since there was damage to a customer's vehicle, I had to call the law. The idiot left in cuffs and the pick-up, belonging to his father's company, left on a hook.
No loss of business due to police in the lot and everyone but the idiot and his dad left the bar happy.
I will have to check my records, but if memory serves, the night was in the top 5 highest gross nights since we opened.

My Kindle appears to be dying. It started resetting itself yesterday (which has happened before), but did not want to finish loading after the reset. It was caught in a loop of restarting, beginning to load, and freezing. I eventually got it to work by plugging it into my PC. We took the little one to karate, and it started resetting itself again. This time it went to a completely black screen, which I've never seen before. Then, when it did eventually go back to normal, it moved on to a completely white screen. At this point, it seems as though I need to plug the Kindle into my PC almost every time I want to turn it on. Once I have it on, it works fine, but after I turn it off, turning it back on is an issue.

I went on ebay and bought a Kobo reader. Apparently they are made by Barnes & Nobles. The one I got is new, but an older version. It will require me to convert all of my mobi files into epub files, so I'm doing that on the second PC right now. It comes with 100 "classics," such as Pride & Prejudice, loaded on it; I'm curious what those books will be. It has less memory than my Kindle keyboard, but 1GB should be plenty of space, and it can take an SD card to expand the memory.

Mostly I'm just hoping that it will not cause issues when I load my books onto it, that the screen is as easy to read as the Kindle, that it is relatively comfortable to use, and that the battery doesn't drain super fast. I don't need extra features in an ereader. It only cost $27, so if it works well and I can use it for as long as I have my Kindle (just over 6 years), it will be great.

Luckily I still have a bunch of paper books if I continue to have ereader problems. :)

I think my laptop may be dying. A few times now when I've turned it on, it has lines going across the screen, as if my monitor is ready to kick the bucket, then it clears up and will be fine, but when I go to turn it on again, same thing happens. Could be time to invest in a new laptop. :dunno:
I bought a new HP 17" about a month ago. I just couldn't get past the EFCI garbage that Microsoft forces manufacturers to put on their machines in order to install Linux. I tried several distributions and finally got the thing to boot up Linux Mint in what they call "compatibility mode" OK it WILL boot Linux, now I needed to figure out what "compatibility mode" was and pass those options to Kubuntu that I've been using for 5 years or so.
I'm happy to report that I am currently running a fresh install of Kubuntu 17.04. Now I just have to move a couple hundred Gigs of data from the old laptop HD to this one.

You couldn't just format the HD? Or were you setting up a dual boot?
I do need Windows for one site that's written in Silverlight which is a proprietary Windows Java-like system for vector graphics. My County Assessor's site uses it. It's obsolete and Linus and the boys stopped working on a fix a few years ago.
So, yes, the machine is dual boot, but irrelevant. The EFCI garbage is in BIOS and was loading a graphics system that Linux couldn't cope with. The work around was to let the install use native graphics at boot. and once I was into the installer, everything worked.
Haven't moved the data yet. My schedule is kicking hell out of me the last few days. My partners are on vacation and I have a lot on my plate until the 22nd.
Great night at Doc's last night! The Jason Abel project played 2 sets and rocked a full house. They closed about quarter to 11 and Heavy Funk was up and running in about 15 minutes. They are loud and Metal, not exactly what we usually have on stage. What was amazing was that about 1/3 of the folks that were there for J A P left and were replaced by an equal number of people wanting to see Heavy Funk.
The night was actually pretty calm except for the guy who told me to get off HIS bar stool. I assured him he could take his seat when he was through dancing (by himself) but he insisted I get up right then and there. I politely informed him that is was not HIS bar stool, it was MY bar stool, just like every other stool in the house.
Confused him for a while, but the bulb did eventually light up and a while later when he was starting some crap with 2 bad ass biker dudes, he informed security that he knew the owner.
Yeah, well, not all that well. When I told him that he would NOT be buying any more alcohol, he left, quite angry. My bouncer walked out behind him and saw him take a swig from a bottle in his truck, put it in reverse and run backwards into an SUV.
He then pulled forward hitting another car a bit more gently. I grabbed him up through the driver side window and unlocked the doors. My bouncer hopped in, shut off the F 150 and grabbed the keys.
Since there was damage to a customer's vehicle, I had to call the law. The idiot left in cuffs and the pick-up, belonging to his father's company, left on a hook.
No loss of business due to police in the lot and everyone but the idiot and his dad left the bar happy.
I will have to check my records, but if memory serves, the night was in the top 5 highest gross nights since we opened.

At first I thought you said the Jason Abel Project was metal, and I looked them up....and found a video of them playing at Doc's. So I was confused, because they sure aren't a metal band! :lol:

Then I looked again and saw it was the other band, Heavy Funk, you said are a metal band. :) I couldn't find anything by them on youtube, the best I got was a Netherlands duo. I did find a facebook page, and I suppose they are a metal band in the vein of a Rage Against the Machine.

I was wondering just how heavy you meant. :p

The main con to owning a bar, having to deal with drunks. :lol:

Mercy. You must not be allergic--I'm not either--but it hurts just the same.

Especially thinking of Hossfly tonight and hope all is well or at least much improved with him.

Good night darlinks,

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Kat & Mr. Kat in transition,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana!!!! (Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant.)
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Hossfly's knee surgery,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Beauty in the storm (click on photo to see full size)
beautiful-lightning-storms-wallpaper-3.jpg

Forum List

Back