USMB Coffee Shop IV

Its 5.30 am and I have just been trying to get myself banned from twitter by saying outrageous things.
I won't say anything outrageous here though.

Are you a contrarian?

I am a critic.

I ask because you won't say anything outrageous here (where it's expected), but are putting those statements on twitter (where it is neither welcome nor expected).

By "here" I think he means the Coffee Shop where we are only friendly outrageous. :)

And Twitter is definitely rough and tumble and often outrageous and too often downright hateful and mean. And can also be sometimes helpful and loving. Like much of our society these days.

But posting on Twitter for somebody like me is like posting to some massive empty void out there where few will ever notice. Unless you're rich and/or famous you usually have few followers. I do follow a LOT of our elected leaders and media types on Twitter though and they all have massive following.

Yea ! I have only got 280 followers on twitter, but some of them are good quality. There is someone who recently became the first person to get 100 million followers which shows how many people must be on twitter.

Just cleaned and refilled the hummingbird feeders, they didn't bother me when I did the small one but when I did the big one and hung it back up they were buzzing me....... Now there's at least 6 of em out back chasing each other all over the back yard, one of the little ones gets smart and perches on the small feeder to feed and not be bothered too much. :lol:

Also just returned from Santa Fe, went to the Indian Market on the Plaza. Gorgeous stuff but very, very, very high priced which is what I expected. Spent a couple of hours there, had an early lunch then checked out some consignment stores and came home.

Just cleaned and refilled the hummingbird feeders, they didn't bother me when I did the small one but when I did the big one and hung it back up they were buzzing me....... Now there's at least 6 of em out back chasing each other all over the back yard, one of the little ones gets smart and perches on the small feeder to feed and not be bothered too much. :lol:

The folks we play 42 with every week live in Corrales and have a massive veranda that runs the length of their home. It is hung with hummingbird feeders ever couple of feet. They are going through almost a gallon a day of hummingbird food. They get more hummingbirds than the nature center does.

We had hordes of hummingbirds when we lived on the mountain too, but often had to take down the feeders because of bear activity. A number of hiking trails and picnic areas in the Sandias are closed right now because of a lot of bear activity.

The folks we play 42 with every week live in Corrales and have a massive veranda that runs the length of their home. It is hung with hummingbird feeders ever couple of feet. They are going through almost a gallon a day of hummingbird food. They get more hummingbirds than the nature center does.
The best, cheapest hummingbird food is water and white sugar 4:1 ratio, buying pre-made hummingbird food is a waste of money if that's what they're doing. Right now we have two Black Chins vying for control of the feeder...... It's funny to watch them "dance".

Lately we've had some small birds show up, sparrow size, kind of a dull yellow breast some with black on their back and wings. Haven't been able to figure out what the are yet.

KOAT evening news is on, the weather critter just reported it's sizzling hot......... 92 degrees........ I wonder what they consider broiling, 95 degrees?
Our high yesterday was a bit lower than the previous 2 days. It only made 99 here.Wednesday, it was 102 with the heat index, 114.

Ouch. Now that is hot especially with the high humidity that I suspect you guys have.
Yeah, it's so humid here, we hop in the pool to dry off.
Only someone who's lived in the Deep South would understand what you just said. I grew up in NC. I cannot see moving back to that sauna anytime in this life time.
I'm here for the people. I love it here. Yes the summers are oppressively hot and humid, but it doesn't snow.
I love snow. Especially when I can love it while warm and dry in my cabin fragrant with wood smoke and dinner. It gets even better when there's someone to play cribbage with or a project I'm working on alone. All cozy and tight. I guess I'm not much of a people person right now, but that might change someday. I'd love to get that B&B built.

The best, cheapest hummingbird food is water and white sugar 4:1 ratio, buying pre-made hummingbird food is a waste of money if that's what they're doing. Right now we have two Black Chins vying for control of the feeder...... It's funny to watch them "dance".
Do you add red food color to your sugar water? I've read that hummers are attracted to red.

Do you add red food color to your sugar water? I've read that hummers are attracted to red.
No I don't and yes that is one thing they're attracted to. The feeders have red bases, one has a red cap also, the small one just has a perch around small holes they drink out of, the large one has white plastic flowers they drink out of. They prefer and fight over the large one more so than the small one.

KOAT evening news is on, the weather critter just reported it's sizzling hot......... 92 degrees........ I wonder what they consider broiling, 95 degrees?
Our high yesterday was a bit lower than the previous 2 days. It only made 99 here.Wednesday, it was 102 with the heat index, 114.

Ouch. Now that is hot especially with the high humidity that I suspect you guys have.
Only someone who's lived in the Deep South would understand what you just said. I grew up in NC. I cannot see moving back to that sauna anytime in this life time.

Being a high desert dweller I agree. But we have lived in the sauna belt, alpine high, prairie, plains, etc. and seem to acclimate to everywhere we are. Again for us it is the people and not so much the aesthetics that make or break a place for us.

However, if I lived in a place like Alaska, waking up to the sheer beauty of it every morning would be amazing. And being at the Pacific coast with the waves crashing on the rocks is also a spiritual experience for me. But then so is standing by a huge printing press running off a newspaper or being out away from everything and just feeling the spirits in the wind on the high desert.

Okay, I'm a hopeless romantic. :)

I have also lived in some amazing places. Monterey, CA was breathtaking. I used to ride along Asilmar on my motorcycle, stopping to watch the sunset over the Pacific. I loved Sierra Vista, AZ, too. I would drive out to the desert on my motorcycle and camp in the desert, watching the stars circle the sky and listening to the buzz of the power lines. I've spent time on the Continental Divide around Lake Roberts, too. What a trip to start riding (mules/horses) at sunrise until after dark. Even Alexandria, VA was cool in its own way. I used to strap my bicycle to the car, drive into DC, park, and spend the day riding the bike around the Mall. Lots to see there and most of it is "free". I confess, though, that nothing could lure me away from Alaska. It's often a love/hate thing here. But I love it all...cold, "hot", green or white. It takes a lot of work and dedication to live here, too. But the big difference between those of us who choose to live here and those who only visit: I am in a dedicated relationship, through thick and thin (summer or winter) while tourists all-too-often treat Alaska like a nickle whore on Saturday night: here for the moment, take what they can as cheaply as they can, and then they blow off to warmer climes.

No I don't and yes that is one thing they're attracted to. The feeders have red bases, one has a red cap also, the small one just has a perch around small holes they drink out of, the large one has white plastic flowers they drink out of. They prefer and fight over the large one more so than the small one.
My daughter fed hummers when she lived in TX. She mentioned that they are extremely territorial and that makes them entertaining.

Being a high desert dweller I agree. But we have lived in the sauna belt, alpine high, prairie, plains, etc. and seem to acclimate to everywhere we are. Again for us it is the people and not so much the aesthetics that make or break a place for us.

However, if I lived in a place like Alaska, waking up to the sheer beauty of it every morning would be amazing. And being at the Pacific coast with the waves crashing on the rocks is also a spiritual experience for me. But then so is standing by a huge printing press running off a newspaper or being out away from everything and just feeling the spirits in the wind on the high desert.

I have also lived in some amazing places. Monterey, CA was breathtaking. I used to ride along Asilmar on my motorcycle, stopping to watch the sunset over the Pacific. I loved Sierra Vista, AZ, too. I would drive out to the desert on my motorcycle and camp in the desert, watching the stars circle the sky and listening to the buzz of the power lines. I've spent time on the Continental Divide around Lake Roberts, too. What a trip to start riding (mules/horses) at sunrise until after dark. Even Alexandria, VA was cool in its own way. I used to strap my bicycle to the car, drive into DC, park, and spend the day riding the bike around the Mall. Lots to see there and most of it is "free". I confess, though, that nothing could lure me away from Alaska. It's often a love/hate thing here. But I love it all...cold, "hot", green or white. It takes a lot of work and dedication to live here, too. But the big difference between those of us who choose to live here and those who only visit: I am in a dedicated relationship, through thick and thin (summer or winter) while tourists all-too-often treat Alaska like a nickle whore on Saturday night: here for the moment, take what they can as cheaply as they can, and then they blow off to warmer climes.
Sounds like I'm a tourist........ :D

My daughter fed hummers when she lived in TX. She mentioned that they are extremely territorial and that makes them entertaining.
Very territorial.......

We had hordes of hummingbirds when we lived on the mountain too, but often had to take down the feeders because of bear activity. A number of hiking trails and picnic areas in the Sandias are closed right now because of a lot of bear activity.
Trails here have closed this year because the bears are eating the hikers. Bears are smart enough to recognize a reliable source of food...

I don't mind tourists, for the most part. I guess the cruise ship crowd is the worst. If they can't do something without wheels under their asses, they demand that we "make it so". Lots of prime activities get screwed up by the gov'mnt trying to pave Alaska to accommodate tour buses and motorhomes. Sadly, paved roads do not fare well in these parts. Better to grade the gravel, but tour buses don't do so well on gravel.

I don't mind tourists, for the most part. I guess the cruise ship crowd is the worst. If they can't do something without wheels under their asses, they demand that we "make it so". Lots of prime activities get screwed up by the gov'mnt trying to pave Alaska to accommodate tour buses and motorhomes. Sadly, paved roads do not fare well in these parts. Better to grade the gravel, but tour buses don't do so well on gravel.
I prefer hovercraft myself........

star-wars-landspeeder-hovercraft-250.jpg

That isn't recommended as the food coloring does add an unnecessary chemical element to the food. Insignificant for us but for a tiny hummer not so insignificant. So the best feeders have the color on the feeder but clear nectar inside.

Thinking of boedicca tonight and wondering. . .

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Kat & Mr. Kat in transition,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Hossfly's knee rehab,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, , SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

solar-eclipse-worldwide-001.jpg

Forum List

Back