USMB Coffee Shop IV

Did everyone watch the eclipse ?

I watched it on the NASA channel, wow it was something spectacular from the air plane camera. :biggrin:

Alas, it was overcast here so few got to see it. The Cherry Hills Library is close to us and when we drove past there, there must have been 500 or more folk out there with telescopes, binoculars, and all sorts of viewing devices but again, too cloudy. What a disappointment.

We were blessed by partly cloudy skies during the eclipse. Out of 365 days, we get only sixty cloud free days. Most days, we get diffused sunlight through our seemingly perpetual shroud of clouds.

But, in spite of being robbed by geography and Astro-physics of a total eclipse, we did get a long enough break in the clouds to enjoy the 80% we were allotted.

Did everyone watch the eclipse ?

I watched it on the NASA channel, wow it was something spectacular from the air plane camera. :biggrin:

Alas, it was overcast here so few got to see it. The Cherry Hills Library is close to us and when we drove past there, there must have been 500 or more folk out there with telescopes, binoculars, and all sorts of viewing devices but again, too cloudy. What a disappointment.

You still can if you can get the NASA channel, or science channel.
They will do replays all day and night.
It was interesting that ground camera's capture a diamond ring when the moon moves away ,like it did from the Oregon eclipse, while the NASA plane shows a butterfly. :)
It's beautiful, I just watched the replay again, gorgeous absolutely gorgeous. :biggrin:

We were blessed by partly cloudy skies during the eclipse. Out of 365 days, we get only sixty cloud free days. Most days, we get diffused sunlight through our seemingly perpetual shroud of clouds.

But, in spite of being robbed by geography and Astro-physics of a total eclipse, we did get a long enough break in the clouds to enjoy the 80% we were allotted.

I don't know how many cloud free days we get but it probably isn't many. Albuquerque does boast sunshine on 310 days of the year though--the beautiful white clouds in a so very blue sky add to the ambiance. Yes, it does get hot here in the summer but nowhere near southern Arizona or southern Nevada or California Death Valley hot. And we enjoy all four seasons with relatively mild winters. Our generally really nice weather makes up for what most people would think a fairly harsh landscape, though Albuquerque does enjoy a lot of visual aesthetics with lots of flowers, an amazing variety of trees, etc.

Last edited:

I don't know how many cloud free days we get but it probably isn't many. Albuquerque does boast sunshine on 310 days of the year though--the beautiful white clouds in a so very blue sky add to the ambiance. Yes, it does get hot here in the summer but nowhere near southern Arizona or southern Nevada or California Death Valley hot. And we enjoy all four seasons with relatively mild winters. Our generally really nice weather makes up for what most people would think a fairly harsh landscape, though Albuquerque does enjoy a lot of visual aesthetics with lots of flowers, an amazing variety of trees, etc.
It's cloudy right now. A storm is rolling in from the northwest and the local weatherman says it packs thunderstorms. Saturday it rained hard. Not a mild Presbyterian rain, but a gosh honest Baptist downpour.

East Liverpool is on the southern half of Columbiana County. About half way between the Ohio River on the south and the Mahoning River which flows past SFC Ollie's home in Mahoning County runs what geologists call the Terminal Moraine. That's the line where, during the Ice Age, the glaciers that scoured out the basins that became the Great Lakes stopped and melted.

The stones and soil from the bottom of Lake Erie were dumped on the southern edge of the Terminal Moraine. All the water from those melting glaciers ran across what was an alluvial plain. That created steep ravines and ridges running along both banks of what was to become the Ohio River. If you stand atop any hill and take a good look at the horizon, you quickly realize that all the hills here are roughly the same height. The valleys between them, however, are steep and covered by verdant hardwood forests.

Along the river banks, our native geology is revealed. Mostly clay soils underpinned by shale, slate, seams of coal and sandstone. Shale deposits are now blessing us with huge pockets of natural gas. The clay soil in top cursed us for large scale agriculture, except for providing great places for apple orchards. But all that clay made it possible for East Liverpool to become the Pottery Capital of the World.

The labyrinth of ravines gives us great natural beauty. At the bottom of each ravine flows a creek or run or stream. Some are large enough to give us magnificent canoeing yet small enough to have never been exploited for industry. We know how to float down a creek buoyed by an inner tube. A grand way to escape the humidity of our summers.

We harvest the hardwood forest most responsibly and sustainably. Our oak becomes hardwood floors, kitchen and bathroom cabinets and oaken furniture for the nation and beyond. Our stands of Black Walnut is prized for the beauty of the lumber they provide. And the ravines are glorious in color when autumn rolls around. I don't rival New England at all. For leaf peeping, I wonder why Vermonters don't come here.

I never buy the red nectar stuff. I just fill the feeders not quite half way with regular sugar, then hot water so it dissolves, then the rest tap water to cool it off. Good shake, and when I get to the door with them in my hand (I have two feeders here), I get bombarded by hummers. Like "WHAT TOOK YOU SO DAMN LONG WOMAN???"

They are sucking up the juice while I am still hanging it, lol.

Got Venus to show up in one of the pics I took. What a site it was!

upload_2017-8-22_0-57-26.png

I forgot about the eclipse. Was stuck in DMV. Didn't even get dark outside and I never noticed at thing. It wasn't until I got home that I remembered and by then it was 1:30pm PST.

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Hossfly's knee rehab,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, , SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

eclipse1.png

I will try to take a pic of her tomorrow..but...my new visitor that comes every now and then might be coming more often. Starving animals..not on my watch. The kitty next door is so damn skinny. Too skinny. For a week now, she has come to rub against me and meow and purr and a good jaw scratch. Unfortunately, she has not learned manners..nor been fed properly. She gets so excited to be petted, she uses her claws to grab my hand and her teeth if I stop. So, when she does that, I gently push her away and say NO TEEFERS. NO CLAWS. But I have refrained from feeding her cuz...well..once you feed a cat, it winds up yours. And I don't want any more pets. But, I will not allow an animal to be hungry. So..I gave her a can of tuna. She belongs to the meth head neighbors who seem to not care she is so skinny and so desperate for attention. Well, she has a full belly today. She never comes at night, but I will see her again tomorrow. Which means..I have to go to the store and get some cat food since I have no more tuna. :lol:

And no..I am not adopting her. She is not mine. I'll just feed her.

I will try to take a pic of her tomorrow..but...my new visitor that comes every now and then might be coming more often. Starving animals..not on my watch. The kitty next door is so damn skinny. Too skinny. For a week now, she has come to rub against me and meow and purr and a good jaw scratch. Unfortunately, she has not learned manners..nor been fed properly. She gets so excited to be petted, she uses her claws to grab my hand and her teeth if I stop. So, when she does that, I gently push her away and say NO TEEFERS. NO CLAWS. But I have refrained from feeding her cuz...well..once you feed a cat, it winds up yours. And I don't want any more pets. But, I will not allow an animal to be hungry. So..I gave her a can of tuna. She belongs to the meth head neighbors who seem to not care she is so skinny and so desperate for attention. Well, she has a full belly today. She never comes at night, but I will see her again tomorrow. Which means..I have to go to the store and get some cat food since I have no more tuna. :lol:

Yeah, I did that once. Only, I had to take the cat in and give him a flea bath because no one else would adopt him like he was. I wasn't keeping him, just taking care of him until I could find him a good home.

I had him for 10 years. :)

Uh huh. :)

Yeah, I did that once. Only, I had to take the cat in and give him a flea bath because no one else would adopt him like he was. I wasn't keeping him, just taking care of him until I could find him a good home.

I had him for 10 years. :)

Yeah we saw our Coffee Shopper 007 through the loss of his 20-year buddy. Seems like most of us have had to say goodbye or help a beloved fur friend over the rainbow bridge and most are determined not to replace that friend.

But with 007 he described a scraggly little thing crawling out of the weeds, half starved and desperate for somebody. So Bootsie has now been a permanent part of his household for a couple of years or so now. :)

And the Ringels didn't want Gizmo either but didn't turn him away when he showed up at their place.

Sometimes the best fur friends are those that choose us.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I cried myself to sleep last night again. Maybe it was the cat showing up, maybe its due to it being 2 months and 2 days since I lost Karma, maybe its just another lapse into depression. Whatever the case may be....I miss her so much. I don't want another pet. I want the one I had.

Forum List

Back