USMB Coffee Shop IV

Just cleaned and refilled the hummingbird feeders, they didn't bother me when I did the small one but when I did the big one and hung it back up they were buzzing me....... Now there's at least 6 of em out back chasing each other all over the back yard, one of the little ones gets smart and perches on the small feeder to feed and not be bothered too much. :lol:

The folks we play 42 with every week live in Corrales and have a massive veranda that runs the length of their home. It is hung with hummingbird feeders ever couple of feet. They are going through almost a gallon a day of hummingbird food. They get more hummingbirds than the nature center does.

We had hordes of hummingbirds when we lived on the mountain too, but often had to take down the feeders because of bear activity. A number of hiking trails and picnic areas in the Sandias are closed right now because of a lot of bear activity.

We go through a gallon of sugar water a day and I have only 2 32oz. Feeders.
We buy 40 lbs of sugar each month from June to Oct. when they leave for the winter.
A handful sticks around for the whole winter, so I put out one very small feeder for them.

Just cleaned and refilled the hummingbird feeders, they didn't bother me when I did the small one but when I did the big one and hung it back up they were buzzing me....... Now there's at least 6 of em out back chasing each other all over the back yard, one of the little ones gets smart and perches on the small feeder to feed and not be bothered too much. :lol:

The folks we play 42 with every week live in Corrales and have a massive veranda that runs the length of their home. It is hung with hummingbird feeders ever couple of feet. They are going through almost a gallon a day of hummingbird food. They get more hummingbirds than the nature center does.

We had hordes of hummingbirds when we lived on the mountain too, but often had to take down the feeders because of bear activity. A number of hiking trails and picnic areas in the Sandias are closed right now because of a lot of bear activity.

We buy 40 lbs of sugar each month from June to Oct. when they leave for the winter.
A handful sticks around for the whole winter, so I put out one very small feeder for them.
We don't have that many, the 32oz feeder will last a week, the small 8oz one also lasts about a week.

Lately we've had some small birds show up, sparrow size, kind of a dull yellow breast some with black on their back and wings. Haven't been able to figure out what the are yet.
I had those too. The bird with the yellow breast was probably an oriol.

I had a pair of orioles. Their beaks are bigger, so I had to remove one of those yellow flower thingies so it was just an open hole that was bigger. It worked. But...bees were a problem. So, I just moved it a couple of yards away until the bees decided it was gone for good (they don't hunt for a feeder once it "disappears" from where they found it).

We don't have that many, the 32oz feeder will last a week, the small 8oz one also lasts about a week.

I fill both 32 oz feeders twice a day right now.
In the winter the 8 oz. lasts about a week.
We had 5 stick around for last winter.

Lately we've had some small birds show up, sparrow size, kind of a dull yellow breast some with black on their back and wings. Haven't been able to figure out what the are yet.

We do have some streak back orioles but they are orange, not yellow though the first year males are more yellow than gold.

th

But we had bunches of grosbeak's on the mountain. Check the bill on those birds and if they are thick that's what they probably are though the gold on the grosbeak is usually pretty impressive gold..
upload_2017-8-21_7-59-26.jpeg

The female grosbeak is not so impressive
th

We also see various kinds of flycatchers
image.aspx

And various kinds of warblers that could be described as a dull yellow.
image.aspx

Last edited:

Well since you lost your pigeon bullies in El Paso, you needed a new challenge. :)

We have the yellow Orioles here.
We also had swallows, but they haven't showed up in about 3 years now.
Maybe they went back to California. :)

We also have Sandhill Cranes who come in and eat off the wild bird seed blocks.
I love watching them in my backyard. :)

We do have some streak back orioles but they are orange, not yellow though the first year males are more yellow than gold.

th

But we had bunches of grosbeak's on the mountain. Check the bill on those birds and if they are thick that's what they probably are though the gold on the grosbeak is usually pretty impressive gold..
View attachment 145120

th

image.aspx

image.aspx
I'm thinking Warblers or Flycatchers but the top coloration is wrong. Definitely not a Grosbeak, I had one in the back yard about a month ago.

th

View attachment 145120

th

image.aspx

image.aspx

We get a lot of crows.......

:p

We have the yellow Orioles here.
We also had swallows, but they haven't showed up in about 3 years now.
Maybe they went back to California. :)

We also have Sandhill Cranes who come in and eat off the wild bird seed blocks.
I love watching them in my backyard. :)

The Sandhill Cranes are denizens of our wildlife preserves too, especially Bosque del Apache just south of Albuquerque. Awhile back the preservationists tried an experiment to have the sandhills hatch whooping crane eggs and raise the young. So we had some whooping cranes too, but I don't think any have been seen in awhile though presumably there are still three who visit now and then.

In early November there is a Crane Festival in a 21-acre Open Space Visitor Center here in Albuquerque where the cranes stop on their way from up north to the Bosque del Apache. It is mostly a craft show kind of event though. The Bosque del Apache Festival of the Cranes is usually in mid November at the wildlife preserve and that is a biggie with thousands and thousands of all kinds of birds in full display.

maxresdefault.jpg

_G1C0858.jpg

Last edited:
Did everyone watch the eclipse ?

I watched it on the NASA channel, wow it was something spectacular from the air plane camera. :biggrin:

There's another 30 minutes until we get it here. I might check out the NASA channel, though.

Do, because the NASA air plane cam caught beautiful colors when the moon first moved away from the full eclipse.
It looked like an image of a multi colored butterfly.
Spectacular!!!

I took Mom downtown to the print shop so we could all watch the eclipse as a family. My brother had bought us all glasses through which we could clearly see the crescent sun. My sister-in-law came over too and there on the sidewalk in front of the shop we watched the event.

Of course it was amazing to see the sun reduced to the sliver like the night after a new moon. We did not experience totality at our latitude.

But we also were amazed at how bright it remained even as the sun was covered by moon shadow. And we were amazed at the number of people driving by without so much as a glance at the phenomenon. It seemed a normal day in East Liverpool.

Last edited:
While I am not a big science geek, I will admit that eclipses can capture my imagination... In my little slice of heaven (Kalihi Valley) here on Oahu the overcast from the early morning blessings were dominating the sky... So I watched on TV as I did not have any glasses anyway... Here is a local TV stations reporting...

How to view the partial solar eclipse in Hawaii

Forum List

Back