USMB Coffee Shop IV

Just curious if others have experienced the same situation and how they handled it. Not a big problem, but a lifestyle change.

We are at the point where we need to sell our home of 40 years. Our children were babies here. The walls hold happy memories of loved ones whose chairs are now empty...the yard - memories of first bike rides, Easter egg hunts, weddings. I love the fields, the cypress swamps, the privacy...the wild turkey and deer who come to visit.

It's getting more and more difficult to maintain the house and fences, etc. It's a long drive to town. Our only grandchildren live 800 miles away. We want to be near them - they are at that precious age where they run squealing with delight into our open arms - that will not last forever. Their father, our youngest son, is a first responder and our dil is a medical professional. They need our help, and want their children to experience the added richness in life that having grandparents nearby can give them. We'd be leaving behind my elderly mother, and two other grown children.

The house isn't on the market yet - I'm just beginning the difficult task of sorting through a lifetime of memories deciding what to keep and what to let go. When it sells, we're thinking of leasing an apartment for a year close to the kids before we commit to a purchase. They have offered us their walk-out basement, but I feel that would eventually intrude on their privacy.

A dear friend says - make new memories. Anyway - have others here made similar decisions? Any regrets?

I sold my home of 18 years in 2005. I have never looked back, I don't even drive by the place. I got rid of all my beautiful furniture but kept most of my hard cover books and knick-knacks, which are still packed in boxes in the storage shed. I roomed with my partner for a couple of years and then I moved into a 28' travel trailer, which I just parked after living in that for 10 years. I have been settling into the cabin we've been building since 2006, my last address change in this life. Regrets, I have few. Anticipation that I can finally retire in a couple of years, that looms large in my future.
Your friend is right about making new memories, but it can be rough, putting so much behind. Good luck with your change. Love those grandbabies!

Started digging out all my WWII uniforms, equipment an accouterments....... I am now on a major get in shape and loose weight program. I figure I'll be able to get back into my uniforms in around a year, don't want to go too crazy and hurt myself thus get set back a month or two.

Started digging out all my WWII uniforms, equipment an accouterments....... I am now on a major get in shape and loose weight program. I figure I'll be able to get back into my uniforms in around a year, don't want to go too crazy and hurt myself thus get set back a month or two.
1945 - 17 = 1928.

You would be 89 now -- same age as my mom.

She can't remember WW2 however.

1945 - 17 = 1928.

WWII reenacting...... :lol:

Actually I am ambivalent about tattoos. I have never wanted one but some people just seem like they are supposed to have them while others not so much. Much like many other things.
If I were to get a tatoo, there are only two I would even consider. One on the left cheek "Exit Only", and one on the right cheek "If You Can Read This, You Are Too Close".
Only military tat's make sense. Others do not.

1945 - 17 = 1928.

WWII reenacting...... :lol:
If you want to lose weight then don't eat anything except one Subway sandwich per day, cut into fourths, one forth every 2 to 3 hours.

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ridgerunner's ex wife/current companion for full recovery,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Autumn in Moscow
central-pavilion-vdnkh-moscow-autumn-view-avenue-exhibition-achievements-people-s-economy-russia-45916078.jpg

VDNHa, I'm living close to it, in three subway stations to north :)

It is quite beautiful. Your magnificent city is the size of our two largest cities combined.

I was once describing our winter weather up on the mountain and a good friend commented that she wouldn't want to live anywhere that snow is measured in feet instead of inches.

And I had to smile at your post. We in America measure distance in the city in miles or minutes. You are the first person I've met who measures distance in subway stations. :)
You have to live somewhere that has subway stations!

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ridgerunner's ex wife/current companion for full recovery,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Autumn in Moscow
central-pavilion-vdnkh-moscow-autumn-view-avenue-exhibition-achievements-people-s-economy-russia-45916078.jpg

VDNHa, I'm living close to it, in three subway stations to north :)

It is quite beautiful. Your magnificent city is the size of our two largest cities combined.

I was once describing our winter weather up on the mountain and a good friend commented that she wouldn't want to live anywhere that snow is measured in feet instead of inches.

And I had to smile at your post. We in America measure distance in the city in miles or minutes. You are the first person I've met who measures distance in subway stations. :)

Why not, if the subway is transport #1 for Moscow and only suburban trains could compete with it? :) The average distance between stations is a it above mile here, so, you could estimate :)))

Car is not the best choice in a large Russian towns because of jams. Offcourse, many people prefer car because they want to feel "cool" and "respectable" and so on, but for people, working every day in city, mass transport is more comfortable. How could you sleep in car, while it riding (or feel sick in jams)? :)
I felt the same way when I lived in Munich. It was far more convenient to travel using subways and trains than to drive a car. Unfortunately, not many cities in the US feature reliable and convenient public transportation.

Not going to lie, I was pretty bummed about not getting the postal job in a town 25 minutes from home. Wednesday was rough and I was only partially recovered Thursday. So I go online to do a job search today and there it is, a postal job four blocks from my house. I applied and now we wait....
Good luck! I'll be crossing my hooks for you, Save.

The challenge with an older house is making things square and 2 x 4s are actually that size, not the modern size.

2 x 4s are really only 1 1⁄2 by 3 1⁄2 inches...
Believe it or not but, I actually came to the conclusion that is when the things started going to hell in a handbasket...

In 1925 they were 2 x 4

As I understand it, now they take the measurements when the wood is cut, but it shrinks during treatment before it reaches a store. I was curious about that the last time I was in a Home Depot or Lowe's with someone buying wood.

Actually, they are "rough cut" to 2 x 4, but when planed - what you normally see ---- they become 1.5 x 3.5. You can buy 2x4 rough cut wood - usually used for fences, etc. Planed 2x4s on 16" centers is a relatively new concept ---- first, they were rough cuts on 24 inch centers - then 2x4 rough cuts on 16 inch centers - and now, it's planed 2x4s on 16 inch centers.

Well, in truth, you're seeing a lot more extruded aluminum studs these days (on inside walls).

On saturday I go have an ultra sound, soft tissue xray and lab work done at the hospital. Thyroid is acting up and they set up procedures to see wtf is going on.

Meanwhile, I am still awake because I am binge watching Stranger Things 2 on netflix. Then off to bed.

Have a good night, y'all.
Hope all goes well with your med work, Gracie. Good luck!

Got the results. Arthritis in my neck. Happy joy. Not. But it doesn't hurt. And there are no joints in my throat. Lab work says thyroid is doing what its supposed to, but I am waiting for the appt for the ultra sound of soft tissue to see if there are any nodules on it. That might be why it feels so weird.

And thank you. :)

gallantwarrior hasn't posted in about 10 days now and he wasn't feeling well the last time he posted. Hope he is okay.

About 10 days and 20 pages. I'm almost caught up now. I'm getting settled into my new routine. I've got the drive down to about 1 hr 45 minutes, on good roads and light traffic. Sorry I missed so much. As far as the stress of moving, I'm sporting a couple of world class fever blisters, a sure sign that I've been massively stressed. Thanks for the thoughts, Foxy.

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Saveliberty's brother-in-law,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, Dalia, SFC Ollie, gallantwarrior and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Autumn in Alaska
mota_ru_0080608.jpg
That picture looks familiar....

Got the results. Arthritis in my neck. Happy joy. Not. But it doesn't hurt. And there are no joints in my throat. Lab work says thyroid is doing what its supposed to, but I am waiting for the appt for the ultra sound of soft tissue to see if there are any nodules on it. That might be why it feels so weird.

And thank you. :)
So, you're saying you're a stiff-necked old geezer? I suppose no pain is a good thing, but what are the possible later implications? Still crossing my hooks for the soft tissue exams coming out OK.

Well, I finally made it back to the CS. I missed you guys. Between making my transition to full-time, off-grid living and the absolute, abject failure of my partner's electric "grid", I haven't been on line at all for almost two weeks. I finally fired up the generator and recharged the system. I am going to find and hire someone who builds these systems for a living, my daughter offered to help me fund the project. We have most of the hardware so I shouldn't have to cough up too much cash to get set up.
Winter looked like it was here but it melted. We got a dusting of snow and the temps went back up to the mid-30s and almost to 50 this past week. I'm not complaining, though. After a week of using wood to heat the house (mostly) I recognize that I am woefully under-stocked with heating supplies. The propane kicker stove to keep things above freezing when I'm not home is working well, though.
I've gotten some of the goats moved up here but have to build more shelter for those left behind. It is obvious to me that I will do this alone because my partner feels that we should still inconvenience my friend further by leaving the other goats where they are. Passive-aggressive only works until it encounters someone who doesn't play along. I moved the Pyrs with this group of goats, so my buddy's GF is ecstatic, not having to hear dogs barking "all night long".
I kidnapped another feral kitten. He's adapted quite nicely to house cat life. His name is Gidget and right now he's smacking his toys around the kitchen. Of course, he's still working on his teleportation skills, so he's not on the table.
I'll be splitting wood tomorrow and start building those extra sheds. Life on the homestead is never boring because there is always something to do.
I'm glad that all my CS friends seem to be doing well. Happy to know Peach and Mr. Peach are improved. I'm hoping that Gracie's med stuff comes out well. SeaGal, good luck with the move. It's tough to do, giving up what seems like a lifetime, but change isn't always bad. For anyone I haven't mentioned, you are still in my thoughts and my most positive vibs are sent to all of you.

Well, I finally made it back to the CS. I missed you guys. Between making my transition to full-time, off-grid living and the absolute, abject failure of my partner's electric "grid", I haven't been on line at all for almost two weeks. I finally fired up the generator and recharged the system. I am going to find and hire someone who builds these systems for a living, my daughter offered to help me fund the project. We have most of the hardware so I shouldn't have to cough up too much cash to get set up.
Winter looked like it was here but it melted. We got a dusting of snow and the temps went back up to the mid-30s and almost to 50 this past week. I'm not complaining, though. After a week of using wood to heat the house (mostly) I recognize that I am woefully under-stocked with heating supplies. The propane kicker stove to keep things above freezing when I'm not home is working well, though.
I've gotten some of the goats moved up here but have to build more shelter for those left behind. It is obvious to me that I will do this alone because my partner feels that we should still inconvenience my friend further by leaving the other goats where they are. Passive-aggressive only works until it encounters someone who doesn't play along. I moved the Pyrs with this group of goats, so my buddy's GF is ecstatic, not having to hear dogs barking "all night long".
I kidnapped another feral kitten. He's adapted quite nicely to house cat life. His name is Gidget and right now he's smacking his toys around the kitchen. Of course, he's still working on his teleportation skills, so he's not on the table.
I'll be splitting wood tomorrow and start building those extra sheds. Life on the homestead is never boring because there is always something to do.
I'm glad that all my CS friends seem to be doing well. Happy to know Peach and Mr. Peach are improved. I'm hoping that Gracie's med stuff comes out well. SeaGal, good luck with the move. It's tough to do, giving up what seems like a lifetime, but change isn't always bad. For anyone I haven't mentioned, you are still in my thoughts and my most positive vibs are sent to all of you.

We missed you too. :)

You are one tough dude, GW. I don't know how you do it.
I hope you get everything that needs done, done before it gets sub zero temps there. Glad you are feeling better too cuz God forbid you get sick in the middle of winter and having critters to depend on you when you are sick! I would stress myself straight into the grave if it were me, so you have my admiration!

You are one tough dude, GW. I don't know how you do it.
I hope you get everything that needs done, done before it gets sub zero temps there. Glad you are feeling better too cuz God forbid you get sick in the middle of winter and having critters to depend on you when you are sick! I would stress myself straight into the grave if it were me, so you have my admiration!

I think having so many dependent upon me helps me keep on going, actually. I'm anticipating a rough winter, mostly because keeping water available will be a challenge. Others I know just make sure to bring fresh water out at least twice daily, and these folks have larger animals like cattle and yaks to provide for. I hope that next year I will have my well put in and that will ease the water situation. For now, I have dried off all my does. They don't need to be making milk for me when times are tough. I wasn't going to allow breeding, either, although Nature has found a way. One doe found a way into the buck's pen, and the buck found his way out for the second doe. I just hope there's only two expecting. Building babies takes lots of energy, too.
This will be my first winter full-time so I'm still on a learning curve about what I'll need to keep the place warm. It's beginning to look like 8-10 cords of wood might be pushing the limit. Next year will be a better year if you and Mr. G. decide to come North, that's fer shure! I'm glad to have a chainsaw and hydraulic wood splitter, though, I'll confess. If I had to split wood the old-timey way...well, I'd have to move back to town.
Folks are asking me why I haven't looked for a job closer. Heck, it's stressful enough making the full-time transition. I'll probably start looking for another job next year. I'm no spring chicken and can only sustain so much stress, as you know...better than most, I'm sure.
Are you guys expecting a snowy winter where you are?

I don't know what winter is like here yet, but I have been told that Thanksgiving is either rain or slushy light snow so your guess is as good as mine, GW. I think you need to concentrate on getting that place Winter ready, though, and hope you do it as smoothly as possible for you. Getting old ain't for sissies and you are no sissie but..your body betrays you mighty fast when you least expect it. I didn't count on or even believe I would start to fall apart at 58, but I did. And it progressed quickly. I can't do anything any more and by the time next year rolls around, I doubt if I could drive anywhere to do anything and I even now worry about getting back to the coast with only a 6 hour drive much less all the way to alaska :(. I know I can drive it..but once there...we are going to have a helluva time unloading and hauling stuff into the apartment. IF it even comes to pass. Hell, I might not even be alive next year. I live each day as my last because planning a future depends on my health and it isn't looking or feeling so slick as each day passes, I'm afraid to say.

Forum List

Back