USMB Coffee Shop IV

I don't know what winter is like here yet, but I have been told that Thanksgiving is either rain or slushy light snow so your guess is as good as mine, GW. I think you need to concentrate on getting that place Winter ready, though, and hope you do it as smoothly as possible for you. Getting old ain't for sissies and you are no sissie but..your body betrays you mighty fast when you least expect it. I didn't count on or even believe I would start to fall apart at 58, but I did. And it progressed quickly. I can't do anything any more and by the time next year rolls around, I doubt if I could drive anywhere to do anything and I even now worry about getting back to the coast with only a 6 hour drive much less all the way to alaska :(. I know I can drive it..but once there...we are going to have a helluva time unloading and hauling stuff into the apartment. IF it even comes to pass. Hell, I might not even be alive next year. I live each day as my last because planning a future depends on my health and it isn't looking or feeling so slick as each day passes, I'm afraid to say.
There is a plus side to this whole commute, though. The partner decided to buy a commuter car for me. That big Dodge truck can be thirsty and he'd like to keep the mileage low. So he went out and bought a 10-yr-old Lexus. Now, a 10-yr-old Lexus is still a pretty impressive, comfy ride, I have to admit. The biggest plus is the heated seat. My daughter pointed out that heat would help my ailing hip. I'm not the best at regular application of such beneficial things due to my busy schedule. Now, I have at least an hour-and-a-half of heated seat application. It has been helping the hip and back and my limp has been decreased significantly. I can't believe how much less pain I experience now. I'm hoping for a full recovery by the end of winter (LOL!)

I'm glad that all my CS friends seem to be doing well. Happy to know Peach and Mr. Peach are improved. I'm hoping that Gracie's med stuff comes out well. SeaGal, good luck with the move. It's tough to do, giving up what seems like a lifetime, but change isn't always bad. For anyone I haven't mentioned, you are still in my thoughts and my most positive vibs are sent to all of you.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

I am absolutely fascinated, and more than a little daunted, by the challenging lifestyle you've chosen. Having water, keeping warm, caring for and sheltering animals, the cold, the dark - wow! - sounds like a lot of hard work - sounds invigorating! With no well, no running water - what's the indoor 'plumbing' situation like? :)

You have a way with words that makes for very enjoyable reading. Keep it coming - even the day to day stuff is interesting, so far removed from the way most of us live. For many years we grew and raised most of our own food. Made my own bread...canned, pickled or froze most of our food - but we could do 2 gardens a year - spring and fall - and only once or twice did I ever have to break ice in the water troughs. But all that was done with running water and ample electricity. Keeping cool was a far bigger challenge than keeping warm.

Wishing you plenty of good health and few troubles! Sooooo...come the middle of winter, let's trade pics on our outdoor activities and winter scenery. :wink_2:

Save I want to thank you for motivating me... :thup: Your search for employment has really been inspiring... I have some rusty skills I could brush off and maybe make some extra cash... I am quite the operator... Switchboards and Elevators are my area of expertise... Think I will check the want ads in the Newspaper...

Yes? Well I sort of want to eat and live indoors, so my motivation is pretty high. :lol:

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ridgerunner's ex wife/current companion for full recovery,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Autumn in Moscow
central-pavilion-vdnkh-moscow-autumn-view-avenue-exhibition-achievements-people-s-economy-russia-45916078.jpg

VDNHa, I'm living close to it, in three subway stations to north :)

It is quite beautiful. Your magnificent city is the size of our two largest cities combined.

I was once describing our winter weather up on the mountain and a good friend commented that she wouldn't want to live anywhere that snow is measured in feet instead of inches.

And I had to smile at your post. We in America measure distance in the city in miles or minutes. You are the first person I've met who measures distance in subway stations. :)

Why not, if the subway is transport #1 for Moscow and only suburban trains could compete with it? :) The average distance between stations is a it above mile here, so, you could estimate :)))

Car is not the best choice in a large Russian towns because of jams. Offcourse, many people prefer car because they want to feel "cool" and "respectable" and so on, but for people, working every day in city, mass transport is more comfortable. How could you sleep in car, while it riding (or feel sick in jams)? :)
I felt the same way when I lived in Munich. It was far more convenient to travel using subways and trains than to drive a car. Unfortunately, not many cities in the US feature reliable and convenient public transportation.

Unfortunately, without subtitles :(((

Actually I am ambivalent about tattoos. I have never wanted one but some people just seem like they are supposed to have them while others not so much. Much like many other things.
If I were to get a tatoo, there are only two I would even consider. One on the left cheek "Exit Only", and one on the right cheek "If You Can Read This, You Are Too Close".
Only military tat's make sense. Others do not.

I can't quite agree with that. Tattoos aren't for me, but as I previously posted, it is like some people are supposed to have them. Hombre, my hubby, has a niece and nephew who like tattoos and it just suits them somehow. I can't imagine them without those tattoos. I think our Ernie S likely falls in that category too. He just wouldn't be the same Ernie without them. But other people, not so much.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ridgerunner's ex wife/current companion for full recovery,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Autumn in Moscow
central-pavilion-vdnkh-moscow-autumn-view-avenue-exhibition-achievements-people-s-economy-russia-45916078.jpg

It is quite beautiful. Your magnificent city is the size of our two largest cities combined.

I was once describing our winter weather up on the mountain and a good friend commented that she wouldn't want to live anywhere that snow is measured in feet instead of inches.

And I had to smile at your post. We in America measure distance in the city in miles or minutes. You are the first person I've met who measures distance in subway stations. :)

Why not, if the subway is transport #1 for Moscow and only suburban trains could compete with it? :) The average distance between stations is a it above mile here, so, you could estimate :)))

Car is not the best choice in a large Russian towns because of jams. Offcourse, many people prefer car because they want to feel "cool" and "respectable" and so on, but for people, working every day in city, mass transport is more comfortable. How could you sleep in car, while it riding (or feel sick in jams)? :)
I felt the same way when I lived in Munich. It was far more convenient to travel using subways and trains than to drive a car. Unfortunately, not many cities in the US feature reliable and convenient public transportation.

Doesn't really need subtitles to get the gist of it. :) A number of our largest cities do have excellent bus systems, train and/or subway systems, and millions of people do use them to get around to and from work or go other places. Moscow might do better on total coverage though. We are a country addicted to the automobile too so the freeways are usually pretty clogged and that makes public transportation less profitable in smaller cities and more rural areas.

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Saveliberty's brother-in-law,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, Dalia, SFC Ollie, gallantwarrior and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Autumn in Alaska
mota_ru_0080608.jpg
That picture looks familiar....

I really love it and might have used it for spring in Alaska. LOL. I was in a hurry when I posted the other night, and when I saw that one I just couldn't resist.

The challenge with an older house is making things square and 2 x 4s are actually that size, not the modern size.

2 x 4s are really only 1 1⁄2 by 3 1⁄2 inches...
Believe it or not but, I actually came to the conclusion that is when the things started going to hell in a handbasket...

In 1925 they were 2 x 4

As I understand it, now they take the measurements when the wood is cut, but it shrinks during treatment before it reaches a store. I was curious about that the last time I was in a Home Depot or Lowe's with someone buying wood.

Actually, they are "rough cut" to 2 x 4, but when planed - what you normally see ---- they become 1.5 x 3.5. You can buy 2x4 rough cut wood - usually used for fences, etc. Planed 2x4s on 16" centers is a relatively new concept ---- first, they were rough cuts on 24 inch centers - then 2x4 rough cuts on 16 inch centers - and now, it's planed 2x4s on 16 inch centers.

Well, in truth, you're seeing a lot more extruded aluminum studs these days (on inside walls).
Yup and when doors are opened and closed the wall moves...........

I'm glad that all my CS friends seem to be doing well. Happy to know Peach and Mr. Peach are improved. I'm hoping that Gracie's med stuff comes out well. SeaGal, good luck with the move. It's tough to do, giving up what seems like a lifetime, but change isn't always bad. For anyone I haven't mentioned, you are still in my thoughts and my most positive vibs are sent to all of you.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

I am absolutely fascinated, and more than a little daunted, by the challenging lifestyle you've chosen. Having water, keeping warm, caring for and sheltering animals, the cold, the dark - wow! - sounds like a lot of hard work - sounds invigorating! With no well, no running water - what's the indoor 'plumbing' situation like? :)

You have a way with words that makes for very enjoyable reading. Keep it coming - even the day to day stuff is interesting, so far removed from the way most of us live. For many years we grew and raised most of our own food. Made my own bread...canned, pickled or froze most of our food - but we could do 2 gardens a year - spring and fall - and only once or twice did I ever have to break ice in the water troughs. But all that was done with running water and ample electricity. Keeping cool was a far bigger challenge than keeping warm.

Wishing you plenty of good health and few troubles! Sooooo...come the middle of winter, let's trade pics on our outdoor activities and winter scenery. :wink_2:
6YURD00Z.jpg

Well, I finally made it back to the CS. I missed you guys. Between making my transition to full-time, off-grid living and the absolute, abject failure of my partner's electric "grid", I haven't been on line at all for almost two weeks. I finally fired up the generator and recharged the system. I am going to find and hire someone who builds these systems for a living, my daughter offered to help me fund the project. We have most of the hardware so I shouldn't have to cough up too much cash to get set up.
Winter looked like it was here but it melted. We got a dusting of snow and the temps went back up to the mid-30s and almost to 50 this past week. I'm not complaining, though. After a week of using wood to heat the house (mostly) I recognize that I am woefully under-stocked with heating supplies. The propane kicker stove to keep things above freezing when I'm not home is working well, though.
I've gotten some of the goats moved up here but have to build more shelter for those left behind. It is obvious to me that I will do this alone because my partner feels that we should still inconvenience my friend further by leaving the other goats where they are. Passive-aggressive only works until it encounters someone who doesn't play along. I moved the Pyrs with this group of goats, so my buddy's GF is ecstatic, not having to hear dogs barking "all night long".
I kidnapped another feral kitten. He's adapted quite nicely to house cat life. His name is Gidget and right now he's smacking his toys around the kitchen. Of course, he's still working on his teleportation skills, so he's not on the table.
I'll be splitting wood tomorrow and start building those extra sheds. Life on the homestead is never boring because there is always something to do.

You have been a missed person GW. I think I would have loved your new lifestyle when I was much younger. But living on the mountain all those years where we were pretty self sufficient with our own well, propane tank, septic system, etc. and we could have put in a wind charger or generator to produce electricity when the power was off. But I like having electricity, phones, cable TV, internet, etc. And because when we lost power, we lost heat--the propane furnace required electricity to work--we had a large supply of wood for our fireplace which, with a Strader insert, would pretty well heat the whole house. And it is amazing how much wood you use in a short period even using it for auxiliary heat. Plus we liked having the fireplace in the evenings and on weekends and it extended the propane supply. But it does take a ton of wood.

I read once that 6-1/2 cords wood is the typical supply for a wood stove in the typical American winter. Probably need more in an Alaskan winter.

I agree the Lexus is a great automobile. My aunt has one that is about 10 years old now, and it is one sweet ride.

Last edited:

Nice house! Handsome family, the people too. Granpappy had 'im a pair of mules - called 'em Hee and Haw.
Most people don't realize how "untamed" much of the west (including Alaska) was up through the 1930s. There were quite a few modern big cities and towns but the vast majority of roads were still dirt and lots of people still used horses and wagons, many didn't have electricity and outhouses were still fairly common.

In the late 1800's my great grandfather took a trip through what was then known as Oklahoma and Indian Territories He was an amateur geologist and we still have some of the rocks he gathered plus his diary. It is a fascinating read.

There are still a few folks around my area, getting fewer every year, who remember what it was like to grow up in rural Florida in the 30's. Life was 'hardscrabble' as they put it. Wood burning cook stoves, ice boxes, hauling logs with a team of oxen, plowing fields with same. There's a saying in a country song about being 'cane switch raised and dirt floor poor'. I don't think they felt poor though, there was always plenty to eat, plenty of work to be done and nobody was ever lonely.

Took a day to go to town and back - a trip that takes me a couple of hours now. The doctor would come by horse and buggy from nearly 10 miles away, crossing a river by self-operated ferry. He and the horse both drowned in the river late one night on the way home...so the story goes.

Nice house! Handsome family, the people too. Granpappy had 'im a pair of mules - called 'em Hee and Haw.
Most people don't realize how "untamed" much of the west (including Alaska) was up through the 1930s. There were quite a few modern big cities and towns but the vast majority of roads were still dirt and lots of people still used horses and wagons, many didn't have electricity and outhouses were still fairly common.

You are also describing New Mexico in the 1930's. and 40's. Very few paved highways and almost no streets other than maybe the main highway through town were paved. Even in the 1990's and probably now, there are remote areas off the electric grids and without telephone service and access by dirt or gravel roads. But the ranchers out there live really well.

Doesn't really need subtitles to get the gist of it. :) A number of our largest cities do have excellent bus systems, train and/or subway systems, and millions of people do use them to get around to and from work or go other places. Moscow might do better on total coverage though. We are a country addicted to the automobile too so the freeways are usually pretty clogged and that makes public transportation less profitable in smaller cities and more rural areas.

In Russia most of transport infrastructure were designed at Soviet times, and USSR was not a country of automobiles, but railroads. Now authorities try to develop automobile roads, but all large cities were previously designed for a bus/train systems and don't allow current number of autos. But common transport systems are usually excellent from Soviet times, so many people (and me) prefer it. It's because I don't live in suburban :))

In Russia most of transport infrastructure were designed at Soviet times, and USSR was not a country of automobiles, but railroads. Now authorities try to develop automobile roads, but all large cities were previously designed for a bus/train systems and don't allow current number of autos. But common transport systems are usually excellent from Soviet times, so many people (and me) prefer it. It's because I don't live in suburban :))

We have some good friends who lived in NYC for a time and they didn't own a car. My brother lived and worked in London for 8 years and he didn't own a car either. I love using mass transit when visiting a big city...and I love trains. A few years ago I took my mother up to DC to visit my youngest son - we traveled by train in a little 'roomette'. It was an overnight trip and the food served was very good. We had a great time.

We Americans really love our cars though! I gotta say...I have long admired your beautiful country and it's people. The gifts given to the world by your artists, composers and authors are treasures. May be a misconception because I've never been there - but I think of you as hearty souls, and far closer to brothers and sisters than we have been allowed to be. Oh, and vodka, I forgot about the vodka - thank you!

Last edited:

We have some good friends who lived in NYC for a time and they didn't own a car. My brother lived and worked in London for 8 years and he didn't own a car either. I love using mass transit when visiting a big city...and I love trains. A few years ago I took my mother up to DC to visit my youngest son - we traveled by train in a little 'roomette'. It was an overnight trip and the food served was very good. We had a great time.

We Americans really love our cars though! I gotta say, I hope you truly are Russian, lol, because I have long admired your beautiful country and it's people. The gifts given to the world by your artists, composers and authors are treasures. May be a misconception because I've never been there - but I think of you as hearty souls, and far closer to brothers and sisters than we have been allowed to be. Oh, and vodka, I forgot about the vodka - thank you!

I've lived in suburbs almost all of my life and still have never owned a car. :p

We Americans really love our cars though! I gotta say, I hope you truly are Russian, lol, because I have long admired your beautiful country and it's people. The gifts given to the world by your artists, composers and authors are treasures. May be a misconception because I've never been there - but I think of you as hearty souls, and far closer to brothers and sisters than we have been allowed to be. Oh, and vodka, I forgot about the vodka - thank you!

:) Just visit the Moscow, while I'm here and you wouldn't remember anything about your last week except vodka, lol :))))

I have a car (a two cars, but a second just a heap of scrap metal :))), but prefer not to use it every day, only if I wish to visit seacost or something else :))) As about "hearty souls" - why not? Ahh, see it - at a little bit more than just advertising :)

p.s. as for vodka - it's a drink of students or experienced workers :))) I don't know, who I am - but I've got six shots this evening - not to be so drunk, but for good condition, lol :)))))))))

Forum List

Back