USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'm probably spending too much getting Christmas presents recently, considering how poor I am. I've still got a cart of stuff on Amazon, but I'm waiting to measure the little one's palms first, because she wants some hand grips for gymnastics. I decided to have a couple of shirts made for her today. One is a gymnastics t-shirt, the other is a sweatshirt with a picture of the two of us from perhaps 4 years ago, in which she is laying on top of me as I lay on a makeshift sled, and we are sliding down our snow-and-ice covered driveway. Hopefully the shirts both fit and tickle her fancy; they are a bit of a shot in the dark as gifts go. I've been getting her a bunch of little things, as well, so at least if she doesn't care much for the quality, she can be happy with some quantity. :p

Love you guys.
I will check in from time to time for any pms but other than that...this is it.
I appreciate your kindnesses and your support when I needed it most. You will not be forgotten.

:smiliehug:

So the "IRS" calls at 7 this morning to threaten me yet again with imminent arrest if I don't pay back taxes immediately--meaning I give them my credit card number over the phone of course.

And 10 minutes later, we get another call from somebody with a cheery greeting of "Hello, are you feeling well today" or some such hoping to get a 'fine' or 'yes' that they will then 'photoshop' into an order conversation to sell me something.

Then two rapid negative robocalls trashing the mayoral candidates

And a few minutes ago I get maybe the 100th call of "Congratualtions! Your have won a trip to the Bahamas!

It isn't 10 a.m. yet.

I wonder how much we would be inconvenienced by not having a phone?

So the "IRS" calls at 7 this morning to threaten me yet again with imminent arrest if I don't pay back taxes immediately--meaning I give them my credit card number over the phone of course.

And 10 minutes later, we get another call from somebody with a cheery greeting of "Hello, are you feeling well today" or some such hoping to get a 'fine' or 'yes' that they will then 'photoshop' into an order conversation to sell me something.

And a few minutes ago I get maybe the 100th call of "Congratualtions! Your have won a trip to the Bahamas!

It isn't 10 a.m. yet.

Are these calls all coming in on cell phone, or landline?

It isn't 10 a.m. yet.

They're running that IRS scam up here, too. My neighbor got one a couple weeks ago. Call the phone company.

Note to all: the IRS does not call you, they send you a written letter in the mail. I used to get a threatening phone call from something called IRS Services I think it was, telling me I could be sued for back taxes. So I called the real IRS; it's a phishing scam, tell them absolutely nothing.

Note to all: the IRS does not call you, they send you a written letter in the mail. I used to get a threatening phone call from something called IRS Services I think it was, telling me I could be sued for back taxes. So I called the real IRS; it's a phishing scam, tell them absolutely nothing.
That scam's been around for while now.

It isn't 10 a.m. yet.

Mostly on the land line. Every now and then I get one on my cell phone but not more that one or two a week at most.

It isn't 10 a.m. yet.

Mostly on the land line. Every now and then I get one on my cell phone but not more that one or two a week at most.
Good thing I decided not to have a land line. :thup:

I know. But it must be effective because the scammers have been using that ploy for quite awhile now. Pretty much the same as the "Microsoft contractors" who call because Microsoft has detected serious problems with our computers and need access to the computer so they can 'fix it.' Since they have kept that up for so long people must still be falling for it.

It isn't 10 a.m. yet.

We thought about that too, but the land line is cheap and gives us unlimited world wide calling when bundled with Comcast cable and internet and because we're 'old' and more likely to need emergency services and also because we are the sole lifeline for my 91-yr-old aunt, we figured we would have a back up. When the cell phone service is on the blink, we have the land line. And if the land line is out, we have our cell phones.

It isn't 10 a.m. yet.

They're running that IRS scam up here, too. My neighbor got one a couple weeks ago. Call the phone company.

There's no point. They change their phone numbers every day or two so blocking numbers doesn't help. They make themselves a rapidly moving target to avoid easy detection. And I'm pretty sure they are operating from outside the country. Just better to warn as many people as possible and let them spin their wheels.

It isn't 10 a.m. yet.

I don't get junk calls on mine, but it's not actually a land line, it's VOIP.

It isn't 10 a.m. yet.

We thought about that too, but the land line is cheap and gives us unlimited world wide calling when bundled with Comcast cable and internet and because we're 'old' and more likely to need emergency services and also because we are the sole lifeline for my 91-yr-old aunt, we figured we would have a back up. When the cell phone service is on the blink, we have the land line. And if the land line is out, we have our cell phones.
I just don't have any real need for one any longer.

Been really busy lately , unpacking all my reenactment uniforms and equipment has lead to rearranging the garage, moving some things into the shed out back and setting up more shelving, I forgot how much stuff I had collected over the decades. Overdid it a couple of days ago so taking it easy, no heavy work for a couple of days just some more light organizing. The wife finally started going through her tens of thousands of clothes boxes a couple of weeks ago weeding out all the old 80s and 90s stuff that "she'll get back into" which means multiple runs to the women's shelter and other thrifts that help people. That's freed up some more space but the house is a mess again with unpacked items an half full boxes that are being consolidated.
I have much more work to do in the garage and shed and other items I need to weed out myself and in the meantime there's still trying to keep the house clean, etc..........

It isn't 10 a.m. yet.

Where I work has that phones through the internet thing and after the big storm here Monday, our internet was down AND our phones were down due to that. I do not like it when everything relies on a single source. We never lost power but we were ground to a halt.

It isn't 10 a.m. yet.

I get calls on my land line even though I'm on the No Call List. Not so on my cell phone. On the land line I use a trick I learned in the Army many years ago on field radios. This little trick will make a caller hang up instantly Try it and let me know what you think.
When you get an unwanted or persistent caller on your land line, simply turn on your cell phone and place the mouth piece on the ear piece of the LL phone. The screech of the feedback will wreck the caller's ears. We used to do this in the Army when we were being told to do something we didn't want to hear.

Forum List

Back