USMB Coffee Shop IV

ALARM CLOCK :ack-1:

That is a lot like buying a Drum set for a kid...

She only uses it to get up for school, at least so far. She wants to feel more grown-up. :)
It can also be used to teach her to be self-reliant. My daughter got both her girls their own alarm clocks when they started school and made them responsible for getting up, getting ready, and making their lunches. One girl got up a couple of hours early to "primp", the other preferred an extra hour of shuteye to the whole hair-n-makeup schtick.

The little one has been getting up on her own, getting herself in the shower and dressed for school. I still make her breakfast and lunches, but she's definitely doing more for herself. :)

I have to go enjoy my cats playing. A kitten does liven things up!
Mine is again plopped in front of the monitor. Sigh. I have to stretch to look around her because if I try to move her out of the way...all hell breaks loose. At least she no longer attacks my hands as I type on the keyboard. It's a start. :lol:
You have a kitten!
She really isn't ours. She belongs to the neighbors but she decided she likes us better, lol. I feed her, spoil her and am trying to tame her. She is kinda wild.

One sure sign spring will arrive one day came in today's mail. It's the letter announcing the rehearsal schedule for the annual Easter Pageant on the Hillside. Of all the odd ball topics I spool out here, I think this is Foxfyre's favorite. I don't fully understand why. Maybe it is the amature nature of stagecraft, maybe it's the group effort. But Foxy ol' friend, here's the first installment of Easter Pageant stories.

For the uninitiated here's the layout. Every Palm Sunday and Saturday preceding Easter Sunday the members of the now defunct Trinity Presbyterian church along with friends from other local churches perform an outdoor portrayal of the last week of Jesus Christ. Performers are costumed and pantomime their performances. The voices are provided by other "actors" in a booth fitted out with microphones and other sound equipment.

I am one of the voice "actors". I provide the voice of the apostle John and the apostle Andrew. Many of the voice "actors" provide more than one voice in the performance with the notable exception of the voice of Jesus and the narrator.

Our stage is a steep hillside rising from the church parking lot all the way up to East Liverpool High School (go Potters!). On this slope are sets built of local sandstone. One set is the upper room where the Last Supper and the revelation of the risen Christ takes place. There is a small gable roofed stone building that serves as Pontus Pilate's house and seat of judgment. From the upper room set extending east is a low stone wall ending with a tomb. To the west of Pilate's house is out own Calvary where the crucifixion of the two thieves and Christ takes place. Looking behind Golgotha one can clearly see the left field foul pole of the high school baseball diamond.

We place speakers, not unlike those seen on stage in a rock concert, on the hillside and cover them with camouflage in the form of chicken wire and canvass painted to look like rocks. The costumed performers make up the Palm Sunday crowds welcoming Jesus and the disciples to Jerusalem. Roman soldiers and High Priests and Sadducees and Pharisees, all twelve disciples and crowds at Jesus' trial and crucifixion as well as Mary and Joseph of Arimathea are all dressed up and in the cast.

We start rehearsals on the first of February and our first performance is Palm Sunday March 25th. I have been a cast member since 2004. Every year it looks impossible and one year, 2014, it was! We suffered lousy weather all through rehearsal finding it unhealthy to climb the hill outside. The weather conspired to shut down that year's performances. Here's hoping the climate cooperates and we can once again do our thing.

Last edited:
One sure sign spring will arrive one day came in today's mail. It's the letter announcing the rehearsal schedule for the annual Easter Pageant on the Hillside. Of all the odd ball topics I spool out here, I think this is Foxfyre's favorite. I don't fully understand why. Maybe it is the amature nature of stagecraft, maybe it's the group effort. But Foxy ol' friend, here's the first installment of Easter Pageant stories.

For the uninitiated here's the layout. Every Palm Sunday and Saturday preceding Easter Sunday the members of the now defunct Trinity Presbyterian church along with friends from other local churches perform an outdoor portrayal of the last week of Jesus Christ. Performers are costumed and pantomime their performances. The voices are provided by other "actors" in a booth fitted out with microphones and other sound equipment.

I am one of the voice "actors". I provide the voice of the apostle John and the apostle Andrew. Many of the voice "actors" provide more than one voice in the performance with the notable exception of the voice of Jesus and the narrator.

Our stage I see a steep hillside rising from the church parking lot all the way up to East Liverpool High School (go Potters!). On this slope are sets built of local sandstone. One set is the upper room where the Last Supper and the revelation of the risen Christ takes place. There is a small gable roofed stone building that serves as Pontus Pilate's house and seat of judgment. From the upper room set extending east is a low stone wall ending with a tomb. To the west of Pilate's house is out own Calvary where the crucifixion of the two thieves and Christ takes place. Looking behind Golgotha one can clearly see the left field foul pole of the high school baseball diamond.

We place speakers, not unlike those seen on stage in a rock concert, on the hillside and cover them with camouflage in the form of chicken wire and canvass painted to look like rocks. The costumed performers make up the Palm Sunday crowds welcoming Jesus and the disciples to Jerusalem. Roman soldiers and High Priests and Sadducees and Pharisees, all twelve disciples and crowds at Jesus' trial and crucifixion as well as Mary and Joseph of Arimathea are all dressed up and in the cast.

We start rehearsals on the first of February and our first performance is Palm Sunday March 25th. I have been a cast member since 2004. Every year it looks impossible and one year, 2014, it was! We suffered lousy weather all through rehearsal finding it unhealthy to climb the hill outside. The weather conspired to shut down that year's performances. Here's hoping the climate cooperates and we can once again do our thing.

All these years of preparation for the Easter Pageant has made me feel part of it, Nosmo. :)

And we will hope for good weather this year. I believe the earliest Easter can fall is March 22? and the latest maybe April 25? Working from memory here. Easter falls on April 1 this year so one of the earlier possible dates but we'll hope for the best. The April 1 date is a bit worrisome though for reasons other than the weather. :)

Our stage I see a steep hillside rising from the church parking lot all the way up to East Liverpool High School (go Potters!). On this slope are sets built of local sandstone. One set is the upper room where the Last Supper and the revelation of the risen Christ takes place. There is a small gable roofed stone building that serves as Pontus Pilate's house and seat of judgment. From the upper room set extending east is a low stone wall ending with a tomb. To the west of Pilate's house is out own Calvary where the crucifixion of the two thieves and Christ takes place. Looking behind Golgotha one can clearly see the left field foul pole of the high school baseball diamond.

All these years of preparation for the Easter Pageant has made me feel part of it, Nosmo. :)

And we will hope for good weather this year. I believe the earliest Easter can fall is March 22? and the latest maybe April 25? Working from memory here. Easter falls on April 1 this year so one of the earlier possible dates but we'll hope for the best. The April 1 date is a bit worrisome though for reasons other than the weather. :)
In the scene in which Christ is being lead to Calvary, one of the Roman soldiers scolds an onlooker by saying "Keep back woman before I spill your blood on the ground!" Maybe you could be that woman.

I used to play one of the hecklers teasing Jesus on the way to His death. My line was "What's the Matter Jesus? Have you lost your magical powers?" I delivered it like a smarmy sixth grader. It was fun.

When the crucifixions take place, I do the screams of the thieves. The guy who did it before me would moan and groan. Basically the sounds one makes during a difficult bowel movement. I am a tenor and tenors can scream the screams that put a corkscrew up your spine. Baritones can moan and groan, but if you were lost in the woods you wouldn't want a baritone calling for help. Desperate times require a tenor.

I’m home! Home, home, home!

I have my family and my cats and my own furniture!

Also I am still connected to two nasty things called “wound drains” which are necessary and endlessly fascinating if they were not attached to my recently assaulted flesh.

Also I am still connected to two nasty things called “wound drains” which are necessary and endlessly fascinating if they were not attached to my recently assaulted flesh.

Just treat yourself gently my friend. I am speaking from experience that we are not always ready to do as much as we think we are when we start feeling better.

In the scene in which Christ is being lead to Calvary, one of the Roman soldiers scolds an onlooker by saying "Keep back woman before I spill your blood on the ground!" Maybe you could be that woman.

I used to play one of the hecklers teasing Jesus on the way to His death. My line was "What's the Matter Jesus? Have you lost your magical powers?" I delivered it like a smarmy sixth grader. It was fun.

When the crucifixions take place, I do the screams of the thieves. The guy who did it before me would moan and groan. Basically the sounds one makes during a difficult bowel movement. I am a tenor and tenors can scream the screams that put a corkscrew up your spine. Baritones can moan and groan, but if you were lost in the woods you wouldn't want a baritone calling for help. Desperate times require a tenor.

Call me a prima dona but I never wanted the bit parts because you wait around to do your thing but you don't get to be in the audience and just enjoy/appreciate the whole thing.

I'm thinking back, but I believe the last production I played a part in, other than choral presentations, was "The Sound of Music" community theater. I thought about trying out for Mother Superior but as an alto, while most of "Climb Every Mountain" is easily in my range, I couldn't get to the I think it was a high "F" or "G"? It was impractical for the orchestra to transpose into a lower key, and I have never been really comfortable as a soloist any way. So I tried out for and was cast as the Baroness, engaged to Captain Von Trapp. (I was much closer to the right age to play that role back then and I didn't have to overcome any nerves to sing anything. :) )

Last edited:
When I was going to bed last night, I found this under my blanket and the corner of my pillow:
message.jpg

It's hard to tell in the picture, but it's actually a white sheet of paper that she colored in with a yellow highlighter.
The little one is so sweet. :D

Just treat yourself gently my friend. I am speaking from experience that we are not always ready to do as much as we think we are when we start feeling better.

Thank you. I have sort of kept popping up once I sit down because I’m my own house, I know how I want things organized. This will be a good time to learn to not sweat the small stuff. I do not want a reoccurance.

Today is GORGEOUS. About 64 degrees, sunny and it smells so good out there in the sunlight! Bought a 5 drawer highboy dresser for 25 bucks and MrG is repairing the drawers. Then I will paint it and sell it for 175 bucks. :D

Thank you. I have sort of kept popping up once I sit down because I’m my own house, I know how I want things organized. This will be a good time to learn to not sweat the small stuff. I do not want a reoccurance.

Yep. There are some old maxims that are good to hold onto when we of necessity need an attitude adjustment and/or fast impulse discipline:

--Don't sweat the small stuff is a good one.
--First things first
--Don't make things harder than they have to be.
--How important is that? If it won't cause anybody to bleed or throw up, it can usually wait.
--I can't think about that today. I'll think about that tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day.

There were seven of us that took the big test today. Five of us passed and two failed, so it was not easy. We had an ice storm which made part of the drive home extra challenging. I am here at the monitor very tired and looking at a 5 am start time at work. Glad to still be employed!

I normally do well on tests, but this class was a marathon of forty hours and twenty three hours of grueling road time on top. Not a lot of study time either.

There were seven of us that took the big test today. Five of us passed and two failed, so it was not easy. We had an ice storm which made part of the drive home extra challenging. I am here at the monitor very tired and looking at a 5 am start time at work. Glad to still be employed!

I normally do well on tests, but this class was a marathon of forty hours and twenty three hours of grueling road time on top. Not a lot of study time either.

But you did it, you passed, and it's over: now the actual work will almost surely be a lot less stressful. :D

Seeing how there was only 12 minutes between my post and yours, I am assuming you didn't listen to these songs... And that's all right, because you are correct when you said it is not your kind of music... I listen to a whole shitload of music and enjoy such a wide variety because I try to keep an open mind... To each his own...
Buffet's song, "Cheeseburger in Paradise" was written about a place called Pirates' Cove about 5 miles from my house, as the crow flies. His sister owns a pretty popular bar/restaurant in Gulf Shores called Lulu's That's maybe 8 miles south of here.

It is almost 2 a.m. here, and I'm not tired yet, and I have to go shopping in the morning. :rolleyes-41: I am going to log off and try to get some sleep!

That used to be the story of my life. I was the proverbial night owl at my efficiency and creative best late at night and well into the next day. I think that might be due to so many years of enjoying some hours of uninterrupted solitude after a busy day of constantly working with people and after hubby and the kids were fast asleep. I could put the soothing voice of Art Bell and/or George Noory on overnight radio on in the background where I didn't really listen to them all that much or put on some wordless music and I was in my own little world for awhile. I miss that sometimes now as I am not so much a night owl. But I still enjoy an hour or two all by myself late at night at times and will sometimes find that it is 1 or 2 a.m.

And that's okay. We're grown ups. We can stay up late if we want to.
AND we can have ice cream for breakfast any time we want!

It is almost 2 a.m. here, and I'm not tired yet, and I have to go shopping in the morning. :rolleyes-41: I am going to log off and try to get some sleep!

That used to be the story of my life. I was the proverbial night owl at my efficiency and creative best late at night and well into the next day. I think that might be due to so many years of enjoying some hours of uninterrupted solitude after a busy day of constantly working with people and after hubby and the kids were fast asleep. I could put the soothing voice of Art Bell and/or George Noory on overnight radio on in the background where I didn't really listen to them all that much or put on some wordless music and I was in my own little world for awhile. I miss that sometimes now as I am not so much a night owl. But I still enjoy an hour or two all by myself late at night at times and will sometimes find that it is 1 or 2 a.m.

And I confess that I have. :)

But you passed!!! One more stressful thing behnd you. Way to go! And sweet dreams. :)

And I confess that I have. :)
One morning I had chocolate raspberry cake for my entre and ice cream for desert.

Forum List

Back