USMB Coffee Shop IV

At least she's okay.

That’s the important thing.
Welp I could get preachy about driving too fast where black ice may exist but I won't........ :eusa_whistle:

:D

Even when you know though, it happens. When we still lived up on the mountain, I was headed home through Tijeras Canyon late one afternoon. It was snowing pretty hard so nobody was traveling at high speeds, but the temperatures were high enough that the road surface was just wet and we weren't just creeping along either. Then we got to the bridge at Dead Man's Curve where the five cars in front of me hit the black ice and all started sliding and spinning. I was far enough back to get slowed down and just watched those cars sliding and weaving and spinning completely around like it had been choreographed. Miraculously none hit each other or anything else. Amazing to watch. But if I wasn't behind them aways, I probably would have been one of them.
I understand how unpredictable black ice can be, hit a patch and did a slo-mo 360 in the middle of a major road, no one else on the road at that moment but if all her airbags deployed....... The vehicle was traveling too fast for the conditions, airbags don't deploy with a small bump or two.

I asked her about that, she said she was keeping up with the flow of traffic. I chalk it up to lesson (hopefully) learned.

There is that too. She probably will never again do winter driving without considering the possibility. I know I think about it constantly when driving in winter conditions.

I made tuna salad for dinner. But I did chop up some dill and sweet pickles! :beer:
About an hour ago I made ham salad, hopefully it will make it till lunch tomorrow....... :D
I use a small electric chopper/grinder, put in onion, dill pickles then the ham and enough mayo to make it moist, put it in the fridge overnight to allow the flavors to blend.

Just finished dinner, marinaded pork chops in a mix of apple juice, Worcestershire sauce and garlic, added salt, pepper and onion powder as they were sautéed. When done I removed the chops and added the marinade, reduced it then pored it over rice. :thup:

That sounds damn good! When are we all coming over. :D

Yesterday for our Sunday lunch with Aunt Betty and Dana we had bar-b-qued pork loin slow cooked in the slow cooker over night, with my signature baked beans, green bean casserole, orange fluff salad and whipped sweet potatoes. I always make enough to send some of everything home with each of them. Then we shredded the pork and made barbqued pork sliders for dinner tonight. Yum.

Hombre and I baked cookies together again today and it was fun. Tomorrow I will deliver some to my sister who was recently moved to assisted living.

It's funny, Hombre and I have been married all these years--okay decades--and just recently we have been doing things you would more expect newly weds to be doing together. Interesting. :)

Last edited:
Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Esthermoon, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Hawaii does have a winter but on its highest mountains amidst the volcano craters.
hawaii-snow-2009-1-7-10-35-0.jpg

By the way, it’s just a turkey, not a whole turkey dinner!

Well, a 'whole turkey dinner' is rather subjective anyway. :)

I do enjoy having turkey available for sandwiches, chef's salads, casseroles, etc. or just a slice with a baked sweet potato or whatever. Hombre thinks he is not fond of turkey (though he never complains when I slip it into something) so I don't have turkey on hand all that often--I usually just order some sliced turkey at the deli when I buy it. But it is never as good as the turkey I roast myself. :) It is one of the healthiest and most versatile proteins.

Forum List

Back