USMB Coffee Shop IV

A friend of mine has offered me a dog. She is a small 5 year old yorkie..that is preggers. The father is another yorkie. I cannot have her until she has the pups and weans them. The pups will be sold for 500 bucks each and the owner cannot keep the mother because her other dog tries to attack mama. Her name is Lucy. I met her today. She is robotic. Not shy, but not outgoing either. She seems...lost. The history of this dog is, she was kept outside but let in "once in awhile". Her main usage was to pop out puppies. She was not shown love, nor knows what it even means. Like I said..she is robotic. She comes when you call...with her head down. She does not flinch when you pick her up. She does not move once picked up. She will not look you in the face. She does not bark. She does not wag her little tail. She is a robot. Like, "ok. I am doing as requested. What do you want now of me?".
It depressed me seeing this. I can't say she is a sweet dog because I don't know. She didn't run from me. She didn't cringe. She just stood there and waited for a command then did as requested.
"Come here, Lucy". She came.
"Oh Lucy, you are so pretty".
Head down. No emotion whatsoever. It broke my heart.
The current owner got her a month ago when she was in heat and her little yorkie male got to her before she could take her in to be spayed. I think she deliberately let it happen because again, poor little lucy is going to have puppies...which has been her whole life her duty to do. But afterwards...she is to be shipped off again because one of the other dogs keeps picking on her. Hence...her being offered to me.
She is not house trained. Which is a problem. So my question is...how hard is it to train a robotic older dog to pee in a litter box? I have no doggie door. And..should I even give this poor dog a chance of a life with someone that can love her or is it too late for Lucy? Plus, the guy we live with...we are responsible for our room...that is carpeted.
Lots for me to think about. But..I still grieve for Karma. I still ache and hurt and cry for her. I think this is why I have been down in the dumps so long this last bout of depression. Karma. I miss her so much.
So is getting Lucy going to be a detriment to me...or worse...to her? I just feel so bad for her. But I also don't want to be homeless again if I can't train her to go in a potty box.

Five years of bad habits will be a huge challenge. I think you deserve (let that word deserve sink in a while) a puppy that you can train from the beginning.

By the way, I miss you too, but have no plans to replace you. ;)

jjlcp3.jpg
She's a cutie!

Ahhh...... What a cutie!
You need to think about her maybe never learning to love or be affectionate .
She might remain a robotic dog.
If she gets friendly with you then maybe she can learn to love and give lick kisses.
It's a hard decision to make.

The latest "techie" saga:
About 6 months ago I made the mistake of purchasing an (in my opinion over priced) Epson printer, based on quite a few positive reviews. Figured maybe they have improved quite a bit in the last couple of decades, boy was I wrong. Damn thing gave me nothing but fits since I set it up and none of my Linux machines would work with it. Today I finally had enough and picked up a Canon, hooked it up and oops, not only could I not set up the wifi even my hard wired Win 7 machine wouldn't see it (turned out to be a bad USB port on my computer). So back it went and I exchanged it for an HP, hooked it up, configured wifi and poof, it works on all of my machines, I should have known better so now it's HP printers for me from now on. :thup:

Now we have another potential saga unfolding. The last couple of days a very large grey and white cat has set up housekeeping in out back yard, fairly dirty but extremely friendly, a people cat and wants to come in, needless to say Giz and Jasper are less than pleased with he/she/it's presence. I figure the cat is either lost or abandoned so tomorrow we'll see if we can take it into the vet and see if it's chipped. It's possible we may have another addition to the household......... Not that I necessarily want that.

I will get Lucy on Friday for a one on one visit for a few hours and I will see how things go. I will use a piddle pad IF I get her permanently. I still have some months to go before anything is final but until then...at least we can get to know one another better.

I doubt a few hours will be enough. It took several weeks for Sally the Shi Tzu to learn to trust and become her present joyful, happy, playful self. But wow what a difference it was -- totally different than when cousin first got her.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

may_day_photos_6.jpg

I will get Lucy on Friday for a one on one visit for a few hours and I will see how things go. I will use a piddle pad IF I get her permanently. I still have some months to go before anything is final but until then...at least we can get to know one another better.

I doubt a few hours will be enough. It took several weeks for Sally the Shi Tzu to learn to trust and become her present joyful, happy, playful self. But wow what a difference it was -- totally different than when cousin first got her.

We have a deer chihuahua that was supposed to be a chihuahua/papillon mix but she does prance like a papillon. She'd been abused and hated men with the exception on my now son-in-law .. blah blah different story .

. So anyway .. that goofy dog squealed, ran or fake bit on me if I got within 5 feet for at least six months. Now, 4 years later-ish she won't leave me alone, loves on pretty well everyone to the level of pain in the neck-ish..

Last edited:

One of my great nephews lived in in the southwestern New Mexico mountains and, when he got married, they decided to have it outdoors at his parents' ranch. The open air pavilion housing the minister and bride and groom was positioned a few feet in front of the pasture fence.

And just as the ceremony was about to begin, to the left of the pavilion, the family's five saddle horses lined up just on the other side of the fence, their heads over the rail, to watch all the goings on. The three family dogs were seated or standing on the near side of the fence, all in a row, just in front of the horses. I have a good photo of it somewhere but probably packed away in a box in the garage or whatever. But it is one of my favorite wedding memories.

This is just to see how we both get along..how she does with dennis, etc. I am not basing anything on this visit except to see how she is NOT surrounded by 10 dogs.

I don't think I have it in me any more to have another dog. I feel sorry for Lucy, but...that is about all I feel at the moment. I will still dog sit her on Friday because my friend is going into town and has to keep her separated from the others due to Dottie beating her up (Dottie is a rat terrier) and I said I would watch her while she is running around. So..I will do that. But I am pretty sure I will not take Lucy permanently.
My heart died with Karma.

It's over... I have seen it all... I can move on from this big blue marble... And I don't even consume alcohol anymore... Ernest and Julio were putting Wine into cardboard along time ago... Now some rocket surgeon is putting Whiskey, Tequila and Vodka in a box... :bang3::banghead::bang3::banghead:

Black Box Is Making Boxed Whiskey, Tequila, and Vodka

Well presumably those boxes can be recycled and won't be clogging up the landfills. You gotta look for the bright side in these things. :)

Forum List

Back