USMB Coffee Shop IV

Anyone who has visited the coffee shop on a regular basis for the last 2 years knows about my love affair with Bacon Grease... I believe I like the by-product just as much as the product... So versatile and so misunderstood... I have seen folks actually turn their nose up at the mere thought of cooking with bacon grease...
Made my day to run into this article... Over the lips...

9 Uses for Bacon Grease, Besides Throwing it in the Garbage
They forgot soap. Properly rendered, bacon grease makes some superior soap.

Is that wise in bear country?

Been missing you Save. And ricechickie. And Peach. And others. Always happy when you check in.

I have some stories. Will try to be here later today.

Hello! Haven't been by in a while. Thought I would stop in and say hi!

hi-there_o_647952.jpg

Yay. I love it when you stick your nose in here Chris. :)

I've read interesting fact about US today. Does it really, I would seem as "cool driver" in US, just loving mechanical transmission? :) Automatic transmission - it's a tool only for city buses, not for challengers somewhere out of federal roads!! :)

Russian cars have mostly manual transmissions? We have a lot of those here, but for routine driving, most opt for the automatic which is available on virtually all cars.

I've read interesting fact about US today. Does it really, I would seem as "cool driver" in US, just loving mechanical transmission? :) Automatic transmission - it's a tool only for city buses, not for challengers somewhere out of federal roads!! :)

I haven't attempted to drive a manual transmission car since I was a teenager, first learning to drive. I had a very difficult time with it. Besides that, it is hard to drink your coffee when you have to constantly be shifting gears. :D

No way!! There are no problem to drink coffee, smoke cigarilla or gnaw sunflower seeds, you just have to organize your driving process! :) But to do overtaking or to rise up and don't have opportunity to help your engine to switch gear down - it's a disturbing feeling, I think!! :) Or to make a long fall at neutral, like at sledges :)))

Offcourse, it's all for enjoying, but how could you swing car to get out from mud pool?

I'd rather take a walk, to be honest. Lol. :D If you had to drive around here, you would probably not enjoy driving too much either.

I always think of you living in a quiet little town. But so did/does our daughter in California and the traffic there is absolutely horrible.

I dislike driving in heavy traffic but it isn't all that bad most places I need to go in Albuquerque. Sbiker, however, lives in a city with 12.5 million other people. I can't imagine what traffic would be like there, but I would be taking the subway too. :)

I haven't attempted to drive a manual transmission car since I was a teenager, first learning to drive. I had a very difficult time with it. Besides that, it is hard to drink your coffee when you have to constantly be shifting gears. :D

No way!! There are no problem to drink coffee, smoke cigarilla or gnaw sunflower seeds, you just have to organize your driving process! :) But to do overtaking or to rise up and don't have opportunity to help your engine to switch gear down - it's a disturbing feeling, I think!! :) Or to make a long fall at neutral, like at sledges :)))

Offcourse, it's all for enjoying, but how could you swing car to get out from mud pool?

I drive a 1995 Subaru Impreza Outback with manual transmission--5 in the floor--and don't even think about it. We bought manual transmissions and 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive when we lived up on the mountain purely because those cars had the extra power we needed to navigate through heavy snow etc. But here in the city with so much stop and go driving, we prefer automatic transmission in our newer (2016) Subaru Legacy. It has all wheel drive though so mud, ice, snow, etc. isn't as much problem.

(That 23 year old little Subaru still runs like a new one. It just keeps going, and going, and going like the energizer bunny . .)

Anyone who has visited the coffee shop on a regular basis for the last 2 years knows about my love affair with Bacon Grease... I believe I like the by-product just as much as the product... So versatile and so misunderstood... I have seen folks actually turn their nose up at the mere thought of cooking with bacon grease...

Is that wise in bear country?

Been missing you Save. And ricechickie. And Peach. And others. Always happy when you check in.

I have some stories. Will try to be here later today.

I'll have the coffee pot on.

Ekaterine, the Rise of Catherine the Great. Don't know if any of you have seen it. It's a Russian TV series, part One and Two with English subtitles. I'm watching season Two on Amazon Prime, watched season One a few months back and it's actually very good though and even the translation isn't always completely correct I can still figure out what they are saying.

Ekaterine, the Rise of Catherine the Great. Don't know if any of you have seen it. It's a Russian TV series, part One and Two with English subtitles. I'm watching season Two on Amazon Prime, watched season One a few months back and it's actually very good though and even the translation isn't always completely correct I can still figure out what they are saying.

OK, that does look interesting. I'll look into how I can watch the series. Thanks!

Do you smell like bacon?
Nope! Properly rendered, bacon grease imparts no smell at all to the soap. It does make a firmer soap that makes a nice lather, though.

I love manual transmission drives. But it is getting more difficult to find them. Used to cost extra for an automatic transmission, now, it costs extra for the manual. After I broke my left foot a few years ago, I've been driving automatic. I just wish the Corvette had a manual transmission, THAT would be COOL!

I'd rather take a walk, to be honest. Lol. :D If you had to drive around here, you would probably not enjoy driving too much either.

To visit job I prefer the subway :) It's faster, cheaper and much more flexible... And at least, I can get beer after job without a risk to be caught drunk during car driving :)
Subways, or other public transportation, in many places is more inconvenient than not. I'd love to take the bus to work, but none operate when I work. And subways in Alaska...not even possible right now. Hell, they can't even figure out how to provide train service up here. So it's your own car, or a dog sled.

I drive a 1995 Subaru Impreza Outback with manual transmission--5 in the floor--and don't even think about it. We bought manual transmissions and 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive when we lived up on the mountain purely because those cars had the extra power we needed to navigate through heavy snow etc. But here in the city with so much stop and go driving, we prefer automatic transmission in our newer (2016) Subaru Legacy. It has all wheel drive though so mud, ice, snow, etc. isn't as much problem.

(That 23 year old little Subaru still runs like a new one. It just keeps going, and going, and going like the energizer bunny . .)
Gotta love those Subies! I regret having traded mine in but am satisfied with the Lexus I am currently using to commute to work. Lexus is everything it's advertised to be, and more! I was looking for a Subaru when this Lexus became available and I haven't looked back yet. The Lexus is 10 yrs old and still looks and runs new. I hope it'll last the few more years I need it, but a four-hour round-trip commute is grueling.

On Mother's Day my daughter made reservations for us to meet up halfway between our town and hers. It was one of those brewery/restaurant places and 1:30 was our time. They called us to be seated about ten minutes late, but pretty good considering the day. Our party of 12 sat down and the drink/appetizer order went in quickly and it came out in a reasonable time Then it started.

Our dinner orders took an hour and fifteen minutes before the three little pizza orders arrived. Thirty minutes later six other meals showed. They informed us that Harper's chocolate chip pancake was not coming, they ran out. We substitute a waffle. An Eggs Benedict has no Hollandaise sauce, that was returned and no order to replace it made. Then we let them know my son in law still has not received his dinner.

We got plenty of excuses and no compensation. The upside was we didn't feel guilty about talking for over three hours. The food was good too.

On Mother's Day my daughter made reservations for us to meet up halfway between our town and hers. It was one of those brewery/restaurant places and 1:30 was our time. They called us to be seated about ten minutes late, but pretty good considering the day. Our party of 12 sat down and the drink/appetizer order went in quickly and it came out in a reasonable time Then it started.

Our dinner orders took an hour and fifteen minutes before the three little pizza orders arrived. Thirty minutes later six other meals showed. They informed us that Harper's chocolate chip pancake was not coming, they ran out. We substitute a waffle. An Eggs Benedict has no Hollandaise sauce, that was returned and no order to replace it made. Then we let them know my son in law still has not received his dinner.

We got plenty of excuses and no compensation. The upside was we didn't feel guilty about talking for over three hours. The food was good too.
Too bad the service sucked, though. I'd eat McDonald's if it meant eating it with my girls. I miss them so much. I'm happy you were able to share a special day with your family, though.

The weather here is...variable. Morning dawns clear and sunny with a high, broken overcast. As the day progresses, the clouds seem to be colliding and piling up. Now, we have a solid overcast, cold wind, and most likely can expect rain later. While many are pleased with a wet spring that will help mitigate the wildfire season, I fear this is a harbinger of a wet, cold, miserable summer. I hope not. Last year was wet and nasty enough.

Do you smell like bacon?
Nope! Properly rendered, bacon grease imparts no smell at all to the soap. It does make a firmer soap that makes a nice lather, though.

Yes. Our parents and/or grand parents likely made their own lye soap which was their all purpose cleaner and the basic ingredients are primarily some sort of rendered fat--usually lard--plus lye rendered from hardwood fire ashes and water. And bacon grease is chemically pretty much the same as other lard produced from pigs.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Nosmo's Uncle for good news and Aunt Roxie

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

Today May 14 was Dance Like a Chicken Day. Please post videos.
145441364.jpg

May 15 is Chocolate Chip Day, Police Memorial Day, and the first day of Ramadan.

I'm going to be taking my car to another repair place to check my a/c in a bit. I'm hoping they can fix the problem for a lot less than $1700. :p

If nothing else, at least I can get confirmation that the problem requires very expensive part replacements.

I'm going to be taking my car to another repair place to check my a/c in a bit. I'm hoping they can fix the problem for a lot less than $1700. :p

If nothing else, at least I can get confirmation that the problem requires very expensive part replacements.

Well, I got my confirmation. The place today gave the same basic diagnosis. The cost would have been a bit less, but $1500 is still too much to put into this car. The guy offered to leave off replacing one of the parts to save some money, but it still would have been about $1100 and there would have been some risk involved.

I'm actually considering trying to replace the parts myself, or more likely with some help from a friend who knows a bit about cars. A quick search online shows that it may be possible for me to get the parts in question for as much as $500 cheaper than through the repair shop, and then of course I wouldn't have to pay the $600+ in labor costs. I just worry I'd end up screwing up something other than the A/C.

Forum List

Back