USMB Coffee Shop IV

It's prom season all across our land and that means snapshots. When I went to prom, sure there were pictures taken at my home and at the home of my date. There was a photographer at the prom itself and at the after-prom. And that was that. But on our daily walk in the park Friday, Daisy the Mutt and I were astonished to see scores of awkward teenage boys in ill-fitting suits and garish neckties surrounded by teenage girls in shockingly adult formal wear holding bouquets and smiling nervously. They were accompanied by beaming Moms and Dads with smart phones and digital cameras at hand.

The kids were paraded in front of a copse of brilliant azaleas to be photographed and adored. The girls were not accustomed to the stiletto heels and many struggled with their footwear in the rain soaked grass. The boys struggled to realize which was their 'good side', that is to say the side with fewer acne blemishes.

Lilacs and honeysuckle are now in full bloom. The aroma of those bushes is intoxicating. One cannot consider walking passed them without stopping and taking in a big snootful of fresh Spring perfume. Chipmunks are out giving Daisy the Mutt additional targets to chase. Times are good for all God's creatures great and small.

Anyone ever have a disaster with assembling flat pack furniture? I just did a doozy. I spent the day putting together a book case and nailed down the back with about fifty nails. Then I suddenly noticed I had put the sides on the wrong way round so I can't put the shelves in. Now I have to try and get out fifty nails without destroying it . I feel like an idiot !

Join the club Dajjal. I would guess most of us have a story like that. :)

With the Royal wedding this weekend, it's hard for an Anglophile like me to avoid watching all I can about all things British. With that in mind,
let me tell you my favorite Royal joke.

Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, heir to the throne was driving to see his mother, the Queen at her castle in Balmoral Scotland. Balmoral is a massive estate of a few thousand acres nestled in the Scottish highlands. As His Royal Highness drove the extensive driveway toward the stately palace, he felt his Land Rover hit a bump in the road. Now, this is a Royal driveway and there is no such thing as 'bumps' in the pavement. The Prince glanced in the rear view mirror. To his horror, he had actually run over one of his mother's prized Corgis.

The Prince stopped his car, got out and looked at the dog. It was quite dead. Smushed, smeared and reduced to a greasy patch on the asphalt. Prince Charles sank to his knees, put his head in his hands and began to weep. Suddenly there was a blinding flash of white light. A beautiful woman appeared magically from the center of the flash and approached the distraught Prince.

"I am your Fairy Godmother, your Royal Highness. I sensed your despair. Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Oh! Thank God!" exclaimed Prince Charles "I'm afraid I have killed one of my mother's dogs and she loves them so. How can I explain my carelessness? Can you bring life back into this poor dog?"

Now, there wasn't much left of the Corgi being a small dog to begin with and being finished off by a bulletproof Land Rover

"My powers are not capable of helping this poor dog today, your Royal Highness. I'm sorry. Is there anything else I may do for you?"

Prince Charles considered his response carefully. Even though he is next in line for the British crown, how often does he or anyone have a Fairy Fodmother offering to wield magic spells in his behalf?

"My current wife, Camilla Parker Bowles. Is there any way you can make her as beautiful as my late wife Princess Diana?"

The Fairy Godmother stood and rubber her chin and strolled around the Land Rover. She turned to Prince Charles and said, "Let's take another crack at that dead dog!"

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Nosmo's Uncle for good news and Aunt Roxie

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

May 17 is World Telecommunications Day.
smoke-signals-from-a-sandy-rocky-mountain-peak-ACRP9G.jpg

Anyone ever have a disaster with assembling flat pack furniture? I just did a doozy. I spent the day putting together a book case and nailed down the back with about fifty nails. Then I suddenly noticed I had put the sides on the wrong way round so I can't put the shelves in. Now I have to try and get out fifty nails without destroying it . I feel like an idiot !

Luckily, when I've had problems like that they have been minor enough I didn't need to completely disassemble the piece of furniture. :p

I could not sleep for worrying about how to do it, so I thought it through while lying awake, then got up early and found it was quite easy after all. I took out the nails on the side panels and switched them over and screwed it all back together in under an hour.

Sad news here. I took my little pocket pooch on an outing yesterday afternoon. I was carrying her through a wet, mucky patch and when I put her on the ground, she took off like the devil was after her. I called and tried to catch her, but she was having none of it. I've been up and down the road several times since she disappeared, calling, listening, and watching for her, no go. I'm hoping she'll find her way back on her own, we were less than half a mile from home. Problem was, if she had stayed on the road, she'd have made it back, I believe. Unfortunately, someone was blocking the road with a junker truck that had finally given up the ghost there. She's shy and would have tried to go around the obstruction and might have gotten lost in the woods, or turned around and gone the wrong direction. I'm worried. She's not an outdoor dog and it's been raining and cold, too. I'm still hopeful, but with reservations.

Oh no!!! I hope you find her very soon. :( Put out a food trap for her. That is why you need a leash for your dog whenever you take her out of your home. It also keeps your dog safe and makes sure if she gets spooked, she can't just run off and put herself in danger. I wish you the BEST of luck and I am hoping so MUCH that you find the poor little girl.
Where I live, a food trap is much more likely to attract unwanted attention. Bear baiting season has started and judging by the number of vehicles using this little, muddy road, there must be dozens of piles of food placed just to attract bears. If I didn't attract bears, the birds would have it gone pretty quickly. It's very unfortunate that the people whose truck was broken down and stuck have decided to came at the side of the road close to where they were, and where we were when my dog ran off. She's very shy and they also have two large, noisy dogs. I'm not sure whether they're letting those dogs run loose, I certainly hope not. They are too close to my little place for comfort.
When we're in town, Penny always has a leash on. Out here, she's allowed the run of the yard and has never shown an inclination to leave it. I had made a resolution, though, that we both should get more exercise and this was our first outing/walkies. I never expected her to 1) panic like she did, or 2) run off and not return when called. I suspect that if she hasn't already succumbed to the elements, she soon will. I am heartbroken. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I'm kicking myself hard for all the "could-haves, should-haves". I plan on printing and posting some flyers, just the same.

Ohhhhh. I hope you find her or she turns up really soon. :(

Assembling furniture - is an sort of entertainments for weekend :) Like a gluing of wallpapers... The main target - not to overload yourself by "fuel", that may happen in "only-men" company. That's why we have to perform all domestic deals in women company :)))

Assembling furniture - is an sort of entertainments for weekend :) Like a gluing of wallpapers... The main target - not to overload yourself by "fuel", that may happen in "only-men" company. That's why we have to perform all domestic deals in women company :)))

I am retired, so I can assemble furniture during weekdays. I succeeded in setting up my book case this morning, and spent the rest of the day filling it with cd's, dvd's and books.

Sad news here. I took my little pocket pooch on an outing yesterday afternoon. I was carrying her through a wet, mucky patch and when I put her on the ground, she took off like the devil was after her. I called and tried to catch her, but she was having none of it. I've been up and down the road several times since she disappeared, calling, listening, and watching for her, no go. I'm hoping she'll find her way back on her own, we were less than half a mile from home. Problem was, if she had stayed on the road, she'd have made it back, I believe. Unfortunately, someone was blocking the road with a junker truck that had finally given up the ghost there. She's shy and would have tried to go around the obstruction and might have gotten lost in the woods, or turned around and gone the wrong direction. I'm worried. She's not an outdoor dog and it's been raining and cold, too. I'm still hopeful, but with reservations.
Oh no!!! I hope she finds you or the way back home!
Meanwhile...maybe your two other dogs can find her? Mine found my cat when she ran off during one of our walks. She always went with us..unleashed since she was a cat...but one time something scared her and she ran off across a field, so I waited a bit, then told the dogs to go Find Kitty. They did. Maybe yours can do the same?
Actually, I've been letting the older bitch come along, hoping she'll do just that. Still, no luck. I made up some posters and am putting them up on every billboard I can find. Since this is a small community, and very dog oriented, billed as the mushing capital of Alaska, there are a lot of sympathetic folks who will keep an eye out for her. But there are thousands of acres of forest here, that's a lot for a little dog. There are a lot of empty places around me right now, though. Since Penny was almost always with me, every where I go and everything I do seems lonelier.
How are you doing, Gracie. Are you still entertaining that kitty?

Meanwhile...maybe your two other dogs can find her? Mine found my cat when she ran off during one of our walks. She always went with us..unleashed since she was a cat...but one time something scared her and she ran off across a field, so I waited a bit, then told the dogs to go Find Kitty. They did. Maybe yours can do the same?
Actually, I've been letting the older bitch come along, hoping she'll do just that. Still, no luck. I made up some posters and am putting them up on every billboard I can find. Since this is a small community, and very dog oriented, billed as the mushing capital of Alaska, there are a lot of sympathetic folks who will keep an eye out for her. But there are thousands of acres of forest here, that's a lot for a little dog. There are a lot of empty places around me right now, though. Since Penny was almost always with me, every where I go and everything I do seems lonelier.
Just got from doc. In full RA flare up mode and it sucks. But I'm getting used to the pain I guess. I get relief tonight when I get to take my one norco. At least I will be able to sleep with no pain. For awhile.
I am concerned about your little doggie. I know how you feel...worrying about her and wishing there was something you could do. I'm so sorry you are feeling this helplessness. :(

Just got from doc. In full RA flare up mode and it sucks. But I'm getting used to the pain I guess. I get relief tonight when I get to take my one norco. At least I will be able to sleep with no pain. For awhile.
I am concerned about your little doggie. I know how you feel...worrying about her and wishing there was something you could do. I'm so sorry you are feeling this helplessness. :(
Too bad you don't live up here. They're selling cbd products at the coffee carts!

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Nosmo's Uncle for good news and Aunt Roxie
For gallantwarrior's fur friend

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

Prince Harry and Meghan will marry at 7 a.m. EDT on May 19. May they enjoy every happiness.

Prince-Harry-and-Meghan-Markle-REX-FEATURES-GETTY-IMAGES.jpg
chapel1.gif

Too bad you don't live up here. They're selling cbd products at the coffee carts!
Meh. I will survive like I have been. Good thing I have a high tolerance for pain. Doc says she doesn't know how I do it. I said its cuz of Ma's genes. Someday, we will be able to buy such products here in Calif without a doctor note or paying some schmuck to say "ok" and get a "card". Some day. Until then....I'll just keep hanging in the best I can.
hang-in-there-everything-will-be-okay-memes-com-16165728.png

I made oat scones with currants this am. mr. boe has certified they are the best batch every. At the risk of sounding immodest, I must concur.

One of the best simple pleasures in life is a fresh baked thing right out of the oven.

I made oat scones with currants this am. mr. boe has certified they are the best batch every. At the risk of sounding immodest, I must concur.

One of the best simple pleasures in life is a fresh baked thing right out of the oven.

I have been an avid baker ever since I was in grade school. But I confess I have never ever made scones. I guess I should do that some time. :)

I have been an avid baker ever since I was in grade school. But I confess I have never ever made scones. I guess I should do that some time. :)

I've been an avid baker since grade school, too! Quick breads are so simple and yummy. Scones are basically a form of biscuits. Very easy. The trick, as always, is to handle the dough as little as possible.

I've been an avid baker since grade school, too! Quick breads are so simple and yummy. Scones are basically a form of biscuits. Very easy. The trick, as always, is to handle the dough as little as possible.

Yes. Biscuits are a house specialty here but you are right that minimal handling is the key to great biscuits. I just checked a good recipe for scones and saw that they are very similar.

Forum List

Back