USMB Coffee Shop IV

Today's quiz:
15319166_1141235052662786_3567771335002586376_n.jpg

That was definitely one heck of a storm........ Fox, how'd you two fare? Rain was so heavy could barely see past the back fence, dime sized hail, (my back yard looks like a winter wonderland), wind blowing the trees sideways and the street was a river.

I also had a Bad Gateway 502 for the site during the storm but only for the USMB.

That was definitely one heck of a storm........ Fox, how'd you two fare? Rain was so heavy could barely see past the back fence, dime sized hail, (my back yard looks like a winter wonderland), wind blowing the trees sideways and the street was a river.

I also had a Bad Gateway 502 for the site during the storm but only for the USMB.
Hello Foxfire and everyone :), i was wondering about that bad Gateway 502 thing it seem pretty serious the storm is the cause we have storm here too but not for long

Hello Foxfire and everyone :), i was wondering about that bad Gateway 502 thing it seem pretty serious the storm is the cause we have storm here too but not for long

Well I doubt a storm in Lyon would effect a message board server in Texas. :) But we did just have a doozy blow through here in the last couple of hours--we still have two inches of small hail piled up against the house. Sure shredded my newly planted tomato plants, but its too early to tell if they will survive it.

Don't know what caused USMB to crash--that caused the Bad Gateway--but whatever it was, it seems to be fixed now.

Yes, I am pretty sure the storm didn't have anything to do with USMB crashing. And all we got here was pea sized stuff but a lot of it. Don't know yet if my tomato plants I just put out last week will survive. It was great that the local radio station gave us the severe thunderstorm warning after it had pretty well moved through. :) I noted the mammatus clouds on the leading edge of the storm though so I knew we were in for something pretty severe.

Yes, the admistrator were here doing some thing maybe ? i will go to bed soon late here in France ;) i got some folk coming over this weekend it will be pretty cool new terrasse style Mexico style bamboo, lights got to love the beautiful time of the year.
Music a new terasse floor that life :thup:

Oh and Ringel05 , you might want to advise your landlord of the storm in case he wants to have the roof checked though dime size hail rarely causes damage according to my resident expert on that. :)

12 faces, if you count the guy on horseback. I had a code 502 the other day too. I figured it was a precursor to a ban. ;)

I heard the rattle of the high school marching band drum section this morning. They are practicing for parade season. Up next is the Memorial Day parade followed closely by the Pottery Festival parade in mid June. Then, of course, is the Fourth of July parade. We do love a parade round here.

Of course many of those drummers and other members of the ELHS Potters Marching Band will be seeking summer jobs. School is officially out a week from tomorrow. My first summer job was as an assistant greenskeeper at the East Liverpool Country Club. I mowed tees and greens while suffering from hay fever. That was the summer of 1975 as the upper Ohio River valley was undergoing a Japanese beetle infestation.

So thick were the beetles they clogged up the bags that collected grass clippings. The fairways virtually shimmered from the reflections on the shells of the overwhelming beetles. The country club has a wonderful duck pond just below the club house. Ducks, geese and swans swam tranquilly on the surface while sunfish and small bass frolicked beneath.

An expert in eradicating the beetle plague was called in. Something had to be done. I accompanied him in a golf cart as he toured the course, measuring square footage and determined the most effective places to spread insecticide.

The head greenskeeper was a most obnoxious man. He was five feet three inches tall and suffered from what Pop called 'small man's syndrome', an attitude that tried to compensate for his short stature. I found it hard to respect him and his churlishness.

When the bags of insecticide were delivered the head greenskeeper took it upon himself to ignore the instructions of the beetle expert. It was determined that the amount of insecticide was sufficient if spread over sixteen of the eighteen holes. But the head greenskeeper thought that as the beetles on holes nine and eighteen (closest to the clubhouse) were so obvious, that's where he would apply the poison.

Holes nine and eighteen run up and down a ravine and are drained directly into the duck pond. And that's where popcorn sized chunks of the insecticide floated after the summer downpour that happened the day after the insecticide was put down.

The ducks and geese and swans gobbled up the floating white pieces of the poison intended for the Japanese beetles. They started dying the next day. We fished two dozen geese, half as many swans and countless ducks from the pond all through that week.

They all died but one ugly merganser duck. You know the breed. They are white and look as if they have a piece of raw beef dangling from their bill. This particular duck was especially marked as it had one of its feet garroted by an errant length of fishing line. It hobbled on a stump and a duck footed paddle, but survived the mass poisoning.

The head greenskeeper was found negligent and summarily dismissed by the members of the country club board. A silver lining to an otherwise bleak occurrence. We assistants should have thrown a parade at the news.

There is absolutely nothing on television I want to watch today. So I am listening to Beethoven's ninth symphony.
You have to sit listening to such music to appreciate it, it cannot be appreciated if you just have it as background music while doing other things.
OLD SCHOOL: Immortal
NEW AGE: Immaterial

There was a moving scene in Immortal Beloved showing how Beethoven couldn't hear the roar of applause at all and felt that the 9th might have been a failure. Because he was deaf, someone had to turn him around to see for himself how his deeply experimental work had stirred the souls of the audience.

There is absolutely nothing on television I want to watch today. So I am listening to Beethoven's ninth symphony.
You have to sit listening to such music to appreciate it, it cannot be appreciated if you just have it as background music while doing other things.
OLD SCHOOL: Immortal
NEW AGE: Immaterial

There was a moving scene in Immortal Beloved showing how Beethoven couldn't hear the roar of applause at all and felt that the 9th might have been a failure. Because he was deaf, someone had to turn him around to see for himself how his deeply experimental work had stirred the souls of the audience.

A most interesting and poignant post and a warm Coffee Shop welcome to The Sage of Main Street as I believe this is your first visit here. We're happy you stopped in. First timers receive a complimentary beverage.

d707a7f56f02bbe04ea76f9e06867686--japanese-cuisine-bangkok-thailand.jpg

Hello Foxfire and all :), I do not know about you but me every time I invited people at home (at least I hope it will be nice this weekend) there is always something going on :badgrin:, always Something breaks right before there is the car and hop to the garage shop.;) a little song

I heard the rattle of the high school marching band drum section this morning. They are practicing for parade season. Up next is the Memorial Day parade followed closely by the Pottery Festival parade in mid June. Then, of course, is the Fourth of July parade. We do love a parade round here.

Of course many of those drummers and other members of the ELHS Potters Marching Band will be seeking summer jobs. School is officially out a week from tomorrow. My first summer job was as an assistant greenskeeper at the East Liverpool Country Club. I mowed tees and greens while suffering from hay fever. That was the summer of 1975 as the upper Ohio River valley was undergoing a Japanese beetle infestation.

So thick were the beetles they clogged up the bags that collected grass clippings. The fairways virtually shimmered from the reflections on the shells of the overwhelming beetles. The country club has a wonderful duck pond just below the club house. Ducks, geese and swans swam tranquilly on the surface while sunfish and small bass frolicked beneath.

An expert in eradicating the beetle plague was called in. Something had to be done. I accompanied him in a golf cart as he toured the course, measuring square footage and determined the most effective places to spread insecticide.

The head greenskeeper was a most obnoxious man. He was five feet three inches tall and suffered from what Pop called 'small man's syndrome', an attitude that tried to compensate for his short stature. I found it hard to respect him and his churlishness.

When the bags of insecticide were delivered the head greenskeeper took it upon himself to ignore the instructions of the beetle expert. It was determined that the amount of insecticide was sufficient if spread over sixteen of the eighteen holes. But the head greenskeeper thought that as the beetles on holes nine and eighteen (closest to the clubhouse) were so obvious, that's where he would apply the poison.

Holes nine and eighteen run up and down a ravine and are drained directly into the duck pond. And that's where popcorn sized chunks of the insecticide floated after the summer downpour that happened the day after the insecticide was put down.

The ducks and geese and swans gobbled up the floating white pieces of the poison intended for the Japanese beetles. They started dying the next day. We fished two dozen geese, half as many swans and countless ducks from the pond all through that week.

They all died but one ugly merganser duck. You know the breed. They are white and look as if they have a piece of raw beef dangling from their bill. This particular duck was especially marked as it had one of its feet garroted by an errant length of fishing line. It hobbled on a stump and a duck footed paddle, but survived the mass poisoning.

The head greenskeeper was found negligent and summarily dismissed by the members of the country club board. A silver lining to an otherwise bleak occurrence. We assistants should have thrown a parade at the news.

Ewww. That's a sad story though Nosmo. But one useful to all in how they deal with the pests they live with and how the big picture needs to be considered.

Hello Foxfire and all :), I do not know about you but me every time I invited people at home (at least I hope it will be nice this weekend) there is always something going on :badgrin:, always Something breaks right before there is the car and hop to the garage shop.;) a little song

One of my favorite Roger Miller songs. (Though Roger Miller isn't one of my favorite people--longer story behind that.)

We are waiting for house guests to arrive at this very moment. They could get here at any time now. We'll take them out to dinner tonight and I'll make them a great breakfast in the morning before we send them on their way home to Kansas. We haven't had the misfortunate glitch happen yet, so wonder what it will be?

One of my favorite Roger Miller songs. (Though Roger Miller isn't one of my favorite people--longer story behind that.)

We are waiting for house guests to arrive at this very moment. They could get here at any time now. We'll take them out to dinner tonight and I'll make them a great breakfast in the morning before we send them on their way home to Kansas.

That sound pretty nice Foxfire have a great time with your friends :)

Hi all !
Did anyone watch the wedding this morning?
It was beautiful, simple and elegant. :)
I love how everyone guessed wrong about her dress. :biggrin:

How is everybody?
I am very busy here and will be for at least another month or so.

I'm heartbroken about your little dog.
I'm praying for you Gallantwarrior, for your dog to have a safe return to your home.
Sadly several neighbor's here have lost their dogs not too long ago, to some type of big predator like a mountain lion.
I must thank everyone for their prayers and best wishes! Penny came home yesterday with little indication that she had been "roughing it" for six whole nights. She's been comfortably ensconced in her habitual places, seeming pretty happy to be here again. Needless to say, I am happy and pleased that she did not die a horrific death alone, wet, and cold in the wilderness.
Thanks again, everyone!

Forum List

Back