USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hope everyone is having a good day. :)

7-how-coffee-works-humor.jpg

I'm going to be taking my car to another repair place to check my a/c in a bit. I'm hoping they can fix the problem for a lot less than $1700. :p

If nothing else, at least I can get confirmation that the problem requires very expensive part replacements.

Well, I got my confirmation. The place today gave the same basic diagnosis. The cost would have been a bit less, but $1500 is still too much to put into this car. The guy offered to leave off replacing one of the parts to save some money, but it still would have been about $1100 and there would have been some risk involved.

I'm actually considering trying to replace the parts myself, or more likely with some help from a friend who knows a bit about cars. A quick search online shows that it may be possible for me to get the parts in question for as much as $500 cheaper than through the repair shop, and then of course I wouldn't have to pay the $600+ in labor costs. I just worry I'd end up screwing up something other than the A/C.
You have to start someday, someway. You might surprise yourself and find you actually have a knack for engine work. Go ahead, give it a try. I never, ever envisioned myself as a mechanic. Now, I've been wrenching on multi-million dollar, gianormous airplanes for over 20 years!
Go ahead, live large.

Sad news here. I took my little pocket pooch on an outing yesterday afternoon. I was carrying her through a wet, mucky patch and when I put her on the ground, she took off like the devil was after her. I called and tried to catch her, but she was having none of it. I've been up and down the road several times since she disappeared, calling, listening, and watching for her, no go. I'm hoping she'll find her way back on her own, we were less than half a mile from home. Problem was, if she had stayed on the road, she'd have made it back, I believe. Unfortunately, someone was blocking the road with a junker truck that had finally given up the ghost there. She's shy and would have tried to go around the obstruction and might have gotten lost in the woods, or turned around and gone the wrong direction. I'm worried. She's not an outdoor dog and it's been raining and cold, too. I'm still hopeful, but with reservations.

I'm going to be taking my car to another repair place to check my a/c in a bit. I'm hoping they can fix the problem for a lot less than $1700. :p

If nothing else, at least I can get confirmation that the problem requires very expensive part replacements.

Well, I got my confirmation. The place today gave the same basic diagnosis. The cost would have been a bit less, but $1500 is still too much to put into this car. The guy offered to leave off replacing one of the parts to save some money, but it still would have been about $1100 and there would have been some risk involved.

I'm actually considering trying to replace the parts myself, or more likely with some help from a friend who knows a bit about cars. A quick search online shows that it may be possible for me to get the parts in question for as much as $500 cheaper than through the repair shop, and then of course I wouldn't have to pay the $600+ in labor costs. I just worry I'd end up screwing up something other than the A/C.
You have to start someday, someway. You might surprise yourself and find you actually have a knack for engine work. Go ahead, give it a try. I never, ever envisioned myself as a mechanic. Now, I've been wrenching on multi-million dollar, gianormous airplanes for over 20 years!
Go ahead, live large.

Trust me, I don't have a knack for it. :p

Sad news here. I took my little pocket pooch on an outing yesterday afternoon. I was carrying her through a wet, mucky patch and when I put her on the ground, she took off like the devil was after her. I called and tried to catch her, but she was having none of it. I've been up and down the road several times since she disappeared, calling, listening, and watching for her, no go. I'm hoping she'll find her way back on her own, we were less than half a mile from home. Problem was, if she had stayed on the road, she'd have made it back, I believe. Unfortunately, someone was blocking the road with a junker truck that had finally given up the ghost there. She's shy and would have tried to go around the obstruction and might have gotten lost in the woods, or turned around and gone the wrong direction. I'm worried. She's not an outdoor dog and it's been raining and cold, too. I'm still hopeful, but with reservations.

Fingers crossed she makes her way home.

On Mother's Day my daughter made reservations for us to meet up halfway between our town and hers. It was one of those brewery/restaurant places and 1:30 was our time. They called us to be seated about ten minutes late, but pretty good considering the day. Our party of 12 sat down and the drink/appetizer order went in quickly and it came out in a reasonable time Then it started.

Our dinner orders took an hour and fifteen minutes before the three little pizza orders arrived. Thirty minutes later six other meals showed. They informed us that Harper's chocolate chip pancake was not coming, they ran out. We substitute a waffle. An Eggs Benedict has no Hollandaise sauce, that was returned and no order to replace it made. Then we let them know my son in law still has not received his dinner.

We got plenty of excuses and no compensation. The upside was we didn't feel guilty about talking for over three hours. The food was good too.

I hate when that happens though. We have been known to walk out in situations like that. Yes, you have more time to talk, but it isn't as pleasant as when it can be done with good food and competent service.

Sometimes it is funny. There used to be a place up on the mountain--huge as a couple of hundred could be seated--that served great family style fried chicken. And because it was an extremely limited menu, the food was generally served quickly, fresh, hot, and tasty.

One night our party was greeted by the server who delivered the obligatory glasses of water and took our order. And then we waited. . .and waited. . .and waited. Finally we flagged down another server who checked and found that our waiter had quit and walked out. They took care of us quickly then and comped our dinner, but honestly, we didn't think we were THAT obnoxious. :)

Oh GW, how worrisome. And sad if she doesn't find her way home.

I've walked up and down the road, calling. I'm afraid she got turned around in the wrong direction. I'm going to make some "Have You Seen Me" posters and put them up at the local places, library, post office, general store. I hope that someone finds her if she doesn't find herself. She's chipped, so that might help.

I've walked up and down the road, calling. I'm afraid she got turned around in the wrong direction. I'm going to make some "Have You Seen Me" posters and put them up at the local places, library, post office, general store. I hope that someone finds her if she doesn't find herself. She's chipped, so that might help.

We will send some positive prayers/vibes your way that she is safe and well somewhere until she can be returned to you. You might want to get one of those tags that has your vet's number or your number of something on it. We have returned a couple of lost dogs to their rightful owners using information on those tags.

Once up on the mountain, in a heavy rain/sleet storm, we found a shivering and wet Shi tzu tied up with electrical wire to the community mailboxes on the highway. (We figured somebody tied him up to keep him from getting run over on the busy four-lane highway.)

We took him in and got him home and dried off and warm. The only ID he had was a vet's number in Los Angeles, but we called that, and they didn't have a New Mexico address or number for the owners but they could give us a name. So we called the operator to get the number on the theory he lived somewhere out there in our vicinity, and were advised the person had an unpublished number. The operator did, however, agree to call the owner with a request to call us about their dog. The owner did call. The dog had been spooked by thunder and bolted. We found him about two miles from his home. But happy ending. Dog and owner were reunited.

I hope and pray you and fur friend are also soon reunited.

I've read interesting fact about US today. Does it really, I would seem as "cool driver" in US, just loving mechanical transmission? :) Automatic transmission - it's a tool only for city buses, not for challengers somewhere out of federal roads!! :)

I haven't attempted to drive a manual transmission car since I was a teenager, first learning to drive. I had a very difficult time with it. Besides that, it is hard to drink your coffee when you have to constantly be shifting gears. :D

No way!! There are no problem to drink coffee, smoke cigarilla or gnaw sunflower seeds, you just have to organize your driving process! :) But to do overtaking or to rise up and don't have opportunity to help your engine to switch gear down - it's a disturbing feeling, I think!! :) Or to make a long fall at neutral, like at sledges :)))

Offcourse, it's all for enjoying, but how could you swing car to get out from mud pool?

I'd rather take a walk, to be honest. Lol. :D If you had to drive around here, you would probably not enjoy driving too much either.

I always think of you living in a quiet little town. But so did/does our daughter in California and the traffic there is absolutely horrible.

I dislike driving in heavy traffic but it isn't all that bad most places I need to go in Albuquerque. Sbiker, however, lives in a city with 12.5 million other people. I can't imagine what traffic would be like there, but I would be taking the subway too. :)

I do live in a relatively quite and (relatively speaking) small city. However, the problem here is that the roads were designed a very long time and are very small and narrow in many places. They were not made to support the amount of traffic that they currently do, so traffic tends to get backed up pretty easily, just because of a traffic light.

Oh no!!! I hope you find her very soon. :( Put out a food trap for her. That is why you need a leash for your dog whenever you take her out of your home. It also keeps your dog safe and makes sure if she gets spooked, she can't just run off and put herself in danger. I wish you the BEST of luck and I am hoping so MUCH that you find the poor little girl.

Please keep us updated. Thanks.

Anyone ever have a disaster with assembling flat pack furniture? I just did a doozy. I spent the day putting together a book case and nailed down the back with about fifty nails. Then I suddenly noticed I had put the sides on the wrong way round so I can't put the shelves in. Now I have to try and get out fifty nails without destroying it . I feel like an idiot !

Anyone ever have a disaster with assembling flat pack furniture? I just did a doozy. I spent the day putting together a book case and nailed down the back with about fifty nails. Then I suddenly noticed I had put the sides on the wrong way round so I can't put the shelves in. Now I have to try and get out fifty nails without destroying it . I feel like an idiot !

Luckily, when I've had problems like that they have been minor enough I didn't need to completely disassemble the piece of furniture. :p

Oh no!!! I hope you find her very soon. :( Put out a food trap for her. That is why you need a leash for your dog whenever you take her out of your home. It also keeps your dog safe and makes sure if she gets spooked, she can't just run off and put herself in danger. I wish you the BEST of luck and I am hoping so MUCH that you find the poor little girl.
Where I live, a food trap is much more likely to attract unwanted attention. Bear baiting season has started and judging by the number of vehicles using this little, muddy road, there must be dozens of piles of food placed just to attract bears. If I didn't attract bears, the birds would have it gone pretty quickly. It's very unfortunate that the people whose truck was broken down and stuck have decided to came at the side of the road close to where they were, and where we were when my dog ran off. She's very shy and they also have two large, noisy dogs. I'm not sure whether they're letting those dogs run loose, I certainly hope not. They are too close to my little place for comfort.
When we're in town, Penny always has a leash on. Out here, she's allowed the run of the yard and has never shown an inclination to leave it. I had made a resolution, though, that we both should get more exercise and this was our first outing/walkies. I never expected her to 1) panic like she did, or 2) run off and not return when called. I suspect that if she hasn't already succumbed to the elements, she soon will. I am heartbroken. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I'm kicking myself hard for all the "could-haves, should-haves". I plan on printing and posting some flyers, just the same.

Don't! I suggest that all of us have fallen into the trap of complacency when it comes to those do-it-yourself assemblies. They look so easy, and they are, many of us neglect to read the instructions.

Where I live, a food trap is much more likely to attract unwanted attention. Bear baiting season has started and judging by the number of vehicles using this little, muddy road, there must be dozens of piles of food placed just to attract bears. If I didn't attract bears, the birds would have it gone pretty quickly. It's very unfortunate that the people whose truck was broken down and stuck have decided to came at the side of the road close to where they were, and where we were when my dog ran off. She's very shy and they also have two large, noisy dogs. I'm not sure whether they're letting those dogs run loose, I certainly hope not. They are too close to my little place for comfort.
When we're in town, Penny always has a leash on. Out here, she's allowed the run of the yard and has never shown an inclination to leave it. I had made a resolution, though, that we both should get more exercise and this was our first outing/walkies. I never expected her to 1) panic like she did, or 2) run off and not return when called. I suspect that if she hasn't already succumbed to the elements, she soon will. I am heartbroken. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I'm kicking myself hard for all the "could-haves, should-haves". I plan on printing and posting some flyers, just the same.

I’m sorry. It’s so hard when you don’t know where they are.

Sometimes the feral cats I feed will not be seen for three weeks and then they are back like nothing happened.

Oh no!!! I hope she finds you or the way back home!
Meanwhile...maybe your two other dogs can find her? Mine found my cat when she ran off during one of our walks. She always went with us..unleashed since she was a cat...but one time something scared her and she ran off across a field, so I waited a bit, then told the dogs to go Find Kitty. They did. Maybe yours can do the same?

Forum List

Back