USMB Coffee Shop IV

We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave! And if I knew how to write a song, I'd write one now. The weather guessers here tell us that a heat wave is a defined condition requiring three consecutive days over 90 degrees. Gallantwarrior in Alaska would be amazed with such temperatures while Foxfyre and Rimgel in the desert southwest might scoff at our feable temperatures. But couple the humidity ginned up by the hardwood forests and our rivers and creeks makes 90 degrees nearly unbearable.

Tomorrow is the pivot point of the year. Those who have calendshowing how many days have passed and how many days remain in the year will note July 2 as the 182nd day with 183 yet to go. So, in the midst of High Summer, we slip over to the downhill slide for 2018. We're actually closer to Christmas Day 2018 than Christmas Day 2017.

And so we beat on, like boats against the current. And if I knew how to write the Great American novel, I'd wrap it up with a line like that.

90 degrees f is hot anywhere. And in high humidity conditions it is extremely unpleasant for most of us unless we're able to get into a swimming pool or a nice lake or stream somewhere. But we are generally blessed with low humidity conditions here so if we can find a bit of shade, it is bearable.

Hombre and I were in Laughlin NV once with temps well over 100 every day we were there. At one point we were advised not to go into the sun as the temp was inching past 120 degrees f that day You would think there wouldn't be that much difference between 105 or 110 and 120. But I speak from experience, there is a difference.

We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave! And if I knew how to write a song, I'd write one now. The weather guessers here tell us that a heat wave is a defined condition requiring three consecutive days over 90 degrees. Gallantwarrior in Alaska would be amazed with such temperatures while Foxfyre and Rimgel in the desert southwest might scoff at our feable temperatures. But couple the humidity ginned up by the hardwood forests and our rivers and creeks makes 90 degrees nearly unbearable.

Tomorrow is the pivot point of the year. Those who have calendshowing how many days have passed and how many days remain in the year will note July 2 as the 182nd day with 183 yet to go. So, in the midst of High Summer, we slip over to the downhill slide for 2018. We're actually closer to Christmas Day 2018 than Christmas Day 2017.

And so we beat on, like boats against the current. And if I knew how to write the Great American novel, I'd wrap it up with a line like that.
I slipped over the pivot point last week at Solstice. We've been slipping into darkness a week now. But I agree, we are now closer to the the Winter Solstice than we were a week ago.

At Game Night Saturday one of my friends told the tale of how, why and where he had removed a groundhog from his property. Don't worry. Everything was very humane. He trapped it and took it out to the State Park where it will probably be eaten by coyotes. But the discussion, as it always does, got sidetracked. Is there a difference between a groundhog, a wood chuck and a gopher?

We determined a woodchuck and a groundhog are one in the same. But fopher status was left undetermined. So I leave it up to the esoteric pool of inane knowledge our coffee shop visitors have at their disposal. Is a fopher a woodchuck/groundhog or are they different and distinctive creatures?

I slipped over the pivot point last week at Solstice. We've been slipping into darkness a week now. But I agree, we are now closer to the the Winter Solstice than we were a week ago.

That probably has a lot more significance for you than for us. We have almost 10 hours daylight at the winter solstice while I think for you it is a little over 5 hours? But then think of the folks in Barrow pretty much in complete darkness? I can't imagine that.

That probably has a lot more significance for you than for us. We have almost 10 hours daylight at the winter solstice while I think for you it is a little over 5 hours? But then think of the folks in Barrow pretty much in complete darkness? I can't imagine that.
From Thanksgiving to St. Valentine's Day we who live on this line of latitude (40 degrees north) arise in darkness, work an eight hour day, then drive home with the headlights on. Plus, it's cold. Why do we live it up in the summer? Because most of our lives are spent in winter.

From Thanksgiving to St. Valentine's Day we who live on this line of latitude (40 degrees north) arise in darkness, work an eight hour day, then drive home with the headlights on. Plus, it's cold. Why do we live it up in the summer? Because most of our lives are spent in winter.

At our latitude and altitude we have winter but it is short--about three or four months requiring coats of any substance if we are outdoors for any time. It can snow as early as October and as late as April, but that is pretty rare. September is usually still very warm and by April, it is usually safe to start putting out bedding plants though we won't have any really warm weather until May.

Contemplating hotdogs for dinner tonight that again raises that great controversy:

36552691_1181409082030989_2402522164700905472_n.jpg

Contemplating hotdogs for dinner tonight that again raises that great controversy:

While I may not be as discriminating as my cyber friend Nosmo King in quality of a tube steak, it looks like the time on the grill is very similar... #3

Even #4 is acceptable to me. I want my hot dog very VERY done. My favorite brand though is Boars Head.

"Tube steak" :) I haven't ever heard it called that but Hombre would agree. He loves hot dogs. :)

At Game Night Saturday one of my friends told the tale of how, why and where he had removed a groundhog from his property. Don't worry. Everything was very humane. He trapped it and took it out to the State Park where it will probably be eaten by coyotes. But the discussion, as it always does, got sidetracked. Is there a difference between a groundhog, a wood chuck and a gopher?

We determined a woodchuck and a groundhog are one in the same. But fopher status was left undetermined. So I leave it up to the esoteric pool of inane knowledge our coffee shop visitors have at their disposal. Is a fopher a woodchuck/groundhog or are they different and distinctive creatures?

Gopher
Gopher3.jpg

Groundhog
groundhog.jpg

They look pretty much the same but gophers max out in size/weight at about 2 pounds while ground hogs are more often 10 to 13 pounds. Gophers spend most of their lives underground while ground hogs often emerge and wander around on the surface.

Now aren't you glad you made me look that up? :)

While I may not be as discriminating as my cyber friend Nosmo King in quality of a tube steak, it looks like the time on the grill is very similar... #3

Even #4 is acceptable to me. I want my hot dog very VERY done. My favorite brand though is Boars Head.

"Tube steak" :) I haven't ever heard it called that but Hombre would agree. He loves hot dogs. :)
Boars Head it is here, too! Good quality and excellent flavor! I prefer all beef and the partner likes beef-pork.

There's a hot dog place in New Jersey, Rutt's Hut, that deep fries wieners. You can get a 'ripper' where the casing starts to split all the way down to a crematory that gets pretty damn crispy.

Here's local documentarian Rick Sebak of WQED Pittsburgh and his take on frankfurters.

Forum List

Back