USMB Coffee Shop IV

As I sit here drinking a tepid cup of instant coffee...

... all due to my own clumsiness. I was drying the carafe for my drip coffee maker and was careless and dropped it so, no fresh ground beans and good coffee for a couple days. First I tried to find a replacement carafe, but couldn't find one that I was sure would work, so to skip ordering the wrong one and the hassle of returning it, I researched "top ten coffee makers" and what not and did some reading, read reviews, etc, and settled on this little butte...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EI7DPPI/?tag=ff0d01-20

It actually gets about as good if not better reviews than any other coffee maker on Amazon, and the choice of either brewing myself one cup or a whole pot I think is a great idea. Tracking says it's "out for delivery," so after today, no more instant coffee for me... unless I drop another carafe.

Yeah we aren't Keurig people or French press people or espresso people--I do appreciate a good espresso though--and when it is just Hombre and me here we make pretty darn good coffee in our el cheapo Mr. Coffee maker. We replace it every two or three years as it will become decrepit and less efficient with regular use. We do use the removable, washable 'filter' and replace the little round disposable filters that cover that ever now and then.

When we have coffee drinking house guests though, we get out the old-fashioned 30-cup electric percolator and it really makes great coffee.
Yup! One of my favorite coffee makers:
View attachment 207264
Supposedly percolating coffee is one of the worst ways to prepare it. :dunno:

I don't believe it since I enjoy properly percolated coffee better than any other.

... all due to my own clumsiness. I was drying the carafe for my drip coffee maker and was careless and dropped it so, no fresh ground beans and good coffee for a couple days. First I tried to find a replacement carafe, but couldn't find one that I was sure would work, so to skip ordering the wrong one and the hassle of returning it, I researched "top ten coffee makers" and what not and did some reading, read reviews, etc, and settled on this little butte...

It actually gets about as good if not better reviews than any other coffee maker on Amazon, and the choice of either brewing myself one cup or a whole pot I think is a great idea. Tracking says it's "out for delivery," so after today, no more instant coffee for me... unless I drop another carafe.

Yeah we aren't Keurig people or French press people or espresso people--I do appreciate a good espresso though--and when it is just Hombre and me here we make pretty darn good coffee in our el cheapo Mr. Coffee maker. We replace it every two or three years as it will become decrepit and less efficient with regular use. We do use the removable, washable 'filter' and replace the little round disposable filters that cover that ever now and then.

When we have coffee drinking house guests though, we get out the old-fashioned 30-cup electric percolator and it really makes great coffee.
View attachment 207264

My first and best coffee pot looked very much like this one:

It made the best cup of coffee ever. I still miss it.
I think pretty much everyone's looked like that...... :D

View attachment 207264

I don't believe it since I enjoy properly percolated coffee better than any other.
The coffee snobs hate percolators. Their loss.

View attachment 207264

Well I think folks who prefer other coffee makers aren't exactly snobs. But when they look down on my percolator and insist it is inferior to their Keurig or espresso machine, I'll go toe to toe with them on that. :)

View attachment 207264

Well I think folks who prefer other coffee makers aren't exactly snobs. But when they look down on my percolator and insist it is inferior to their Keurig or espresso machine, I'll go toe to toe with them on that. :)

Keurig is good because of the lack of work involved. :p

View attachment 207264

Grandma's percolator fascinated me as a kid. A big two quart aluminum pot with a snap on lid that featured a little glass dome to watch the coffee brew. It made the goofiest noises, little burps as the Coffee spurted to the top and turned darker with every eruption.

Inside stood a basket on a tower. The water bubbled up from the base and splashed around the glass dome, finally trickling down through the tiny perforations on the top of the basket. Inside the basket Grandma would spoon in spoonful after spoonful of Maxwell House from a big blue tin can.

Mom and Pop preferred Eight O'Clock coffee custom ground from roasted beans at the A&P. I remember that store as having hardwood floors and the coffee aisle was the most aromatic. There was a big red coffee grinder that the customer filled from the top, pouring roasted beans from an aluminum foil lined bag. You would twist a dial that indicated the coarseness of desired grinds. Then you would place the bag from which the beans came under a chute and the grinder would do its magical, aroma drenched work. The ground coffee would be dumped back into the bag and you had to fold the top closed, securing,it with the metal clips attached to the ends.

Of course the A&P had canned coffee. Chock Full o' Nuts, Hills Brother's with the Arab sheik sipping a cup while wearing his curly toed slippers and flowing caftan, and Folger's. But Eight O'Clock had to be fresh ground at the store. Artesianal coffee in the early '60s.

You could even buy a new tube for your television set or radio at the A&P. They had a yellow kiosk with fifteen or twenty brown sockets mounted on top. You brought in the burned out tube, tried your luck placing it in the right socket, read the cryptic number printed along side the right fitting socket and then open the cabinet and find the same number on a little blue and white box. That was your new tune. All you had to do then was replace the burned out tube with the new complicated looking bulb, readjust the rabbit ear antennae, maybe wrap it with a little more tin foil and voila! Studio wrestling and Bowling for Dollars was back in your living room!

My fabled Uncle Ducky was a tube radio man up until his death in 1983. His array of radios amazed me. Of course turning a nine year old boy loose in Uncle Ducky's Hall of Wonders could be perilous. I pried the Masonite back from one of his radios to marvel at the glowing tubes inside. Hey! Look! A screwdriver! I wonder what that gizmo does?

A few sparks, a loud pop and the scent of ozone later and I found myself jolted across the room, landing squarely on my rear end with my back up against his bed.

Adults and children learned valuable lessons from that experience.

But, to the point, I like percolators too.

Last edited:

View attachment 207264

Grandma's did not have a cord. It sat right on the stove burner.

Google Image Result for https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31zDzCAxy1L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

View attachment 207264

Grandma's did not have a cord. It sat right on the stove burner.

Google Image Result for https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31zDzCAxy1L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

So did ours when I was a kid. But when Hombre and I married, we got our stainless steel percolator as a wedding gift and used it for a good 20 or more years. I still miss it.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter), complications post op surgery
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition
Sherry, WelfareQueen,, and family with Sherry's mom in Hospice.

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

The world lumberjack championships grand finale is tomorrow. Don't miss it.
upload_2018-7-27_23-46-12.jpeg
th
theres-a-lot-more-to-the-lumberjack-world-championships-than-just-chopping-wood.jpg
Lumberjack-World-Championships.jpg

Too funny! Now I wish Sbiker or Comrade Johnson would check in so we could find out if they are Pepsi drinkers. :)

Hmm, interesting, I've never heared about submarines in exchange to pepsi, but pepsi here were popular in late Soviet times - but people could bought it only in Moscow :) Late USSR really was a strange place, need to learn harder :)
There are a good series about USSR of 1979 - "Dard Side of the Moon" (remake of "Life on Mars", but very talented remake :)))

View attachment 207264

I had similar but now prerer something like this - it allows to prepare capucciino :))

upload_2018-7-28_12-47-43.png

Second pot of coffee through the new Hamilton Beach, and it's good. It is a very basic process so, I wasn't really expecting anything different.

I like the vintage coffee pots. I've picked a couple up at auctions and my Mom has one like the big blue porcelain one of mine in the pic, except hers is an antique white procelain. The size might be hard to decipher in the picks, but the blue one is probably a 3 gallon, it's big, and the stainless steel one may be close to a gallon. The porcelain pot doesn't have the guts but the stainless steel one does. You rarely see these come up for auction, and it's even more rare to see one with the insides. I think they're cool collectors...

20180728_070730.jpg

Second pot of coffee through the new Hamilton Beach, and it's good. It is a very basic process so, I wasn't really expecting anything different.

I like the vintage coffee pots. I've picked a couple up at auctions and my Mom has one like the big blue porcelain one of mine in the pic, except hers is an antique white procelain. The size might be hard to decipher in the picks, but the blue one is probably a 3 gallon, it's big, and the stainless steel one may be close to a gallon. The porcelain pot doesn't have the guts but the stainless steel one does. You rarely see these come up for auction, and it's even more rare to see one with the insides. I think they're cool collectors...

20180728_070730.jpg
Nice.
BTW, don't let any sales person try to sell you blue speckleware as 19th century pieces, it's a 20th century manufacture.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
TK
Gracie
Hombre's sister

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

View attachment 207296
th
theres-a-lot-more-to-the-lumberjack-world-championships-than-just-chopping-wood.jpg

Foxy, we can be removed from the vigil list. My mom passed away yesterday. Thanks to those who kept us in your prayers.

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
TK
Gracie
Hombre's sister

View attachment 207296
th

Foxy, we can be removed from the vigil list. My mom passed away yesterday. Thanks to those who kept us in your prayers.
My most sincere condolences, Sherry.

Forum List

Back