USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter), complications post op surgery
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition
Sherry, WelfareQueen,, and family with Sherry's mom in Hospice.

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

The world lumberjack championships grand finale is tomorrow. Don't miss it.
View attachment 207296
th
theres-a-lot-more-to-the-lumberjack-world-championships-than-just-chopping-wood.jpg
Lumberjack-World-Championships.jpg

Foxy, we can be removed from the vigil list. My mom passed away yesterday. Thanks to those who kept us in your prayers.

So sorry Sherry. Holding you and your family in my prayers.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
TK
Gracie
Hombre's sister

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

View attachment 207296
th
theres-a-lot-more-to-the-lumberjack-world-championships-than-just-chopping-wood.jpg

Foxy, we can be removed from the vigil list. My mom passed away yesterday. Thanks to those who kept us in your prayers.

Condolences to you and your family, Sherry. :itsok:

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
TK
Gracie
Hombre's sister

View attachment 207296
th

I'm so sorry for your loss, Sherry.

IMG_0262.JPG

I have this family photo taken about thirty five years ago. That's me top left beside my brother. Pop and Mom in the foreground.

Now, take a good look at Pop and tell me if he doesn't remind you of Mike Pompeo!

I usually drink my coffee black and no sugar but lately been getting lattes and I like the froth :lol:

I started using cream in my coffee some years ago when I was having a terrible time with GERD. Giving up coffee altogether was not an option, and I was trying to find a different solution. The cream (or half & half or just plain milk) worked--it cut the acid in the coffee sufficiently that I could drink at least a reasonable amount of it without any bad effects. (2 to 6 cups is reasonable for me.)

The GERD is now under control and black coffee is no longer a problem, but I have come to prefer it with cream. And a few drops of Stevia to slightly sweeten it. Nour Better Stevia now puts out an English Toffee flavor that I just love. The perfect morning treat for me. Just a few drops does it so a 2 oz bottle of it lasts forever.

I usually drink my coffee black and no sugar but lately been getting lattes and I like the froth :lol:

I started using cream in my coffee some years ago when I was having a terrible time with GERD. Giving up coffee altogether was not an option, and I was trying to find a different solution. The cream (or half & half or just plain milk) worked--it cut the acid in the coffee sufficiently that I could drink at least a reasonable amount of it without any bad effects. (2 to 6 cups is reasonable for me.)

The GERD is now under control and black coffee is no longer a problem, but I have come to prefer it with cream. And a few drops of Stevia to slightly sweeten it. Nour Better Stevia now puts out an English Toffee flavor that I just love. The perfect morning treat for me. Just a few drops does it so a 2 oz bottle of it lasts forever.
What is the point of putting eggshells in with the coffee grounds? I've heard of it, but never tasted a cup augmented with eggshells.

What is the point of putting eggshells in with the coffee grounds? I've heard of it, but never tasted a cup augmented with eggshells.

Anonymous

February 21, 2006 at 11:29 pm

Egg shells added to grounds
I recently read a depression era cookbook, how to use eggshells to prepare a smooth cup of coffee. I do remember something of this from my childhood as well. I boiled the eggs peeled them then baked the shells at 350 for about 10 minutes, crushed them and placed them in a zip look bag. I placed about 1 teaspoon full with my grounds this morning. Wow what wonderful smooth tasting coffee. I just love to find and use these old tips. Oh be sure and save these grounds for the spring flowers. God bless and enjoy your cup!

Why would you put egg shell in coffee? - Coffee and Caffeine FAQ

Anonymous

February 21, 2006 at 11:29 pm

Egg shells added to grounds
I recently read a depression era cookbook, how to use eggshells to prepare a smooth cup of coffee. I do remember something of this from my childhood as well. I boiled the eggs peeled them then baked the shells at 350 for about 10 minutes, crushed them and placed them in a zip look bag. I placed about 1 teaspoon full with my grounds this morning. Wow what wonderful smooth tasting coffee. I just love to find and use these old tips. Oh be sure and save these grounds for the spring flowers. God bless and enjoy your cup!

Why would you put egg shell in coffee? - Coffee and Caffeine FAQ
All that preparation! Hard boiled eggs, baking the shells. I thought while you're making sunny side up, you just tossed the shells in with the coffee!

But then, the shells are still slimy with the bits of egg white. The coffee might get thick.

Boys and Girls I have a problem... As I have shared before I have a Chronic Liver disease and I have been undergoing treatment for the last 13 months at a Clinic here in Hawaii... My contact at the Clinic is a young lady and she is a Physicians Assistant... She is Chinese, but has lived in the U.S. for close to 20 years... I am guessing her age is 27 to 30 years of age... She is a go getter... Sharp as a tack and has a great sense of humor... Only problem I have with her is she talks really, really fast... She still speaks with a Chinese accent and I have some difficulty understanding her at times... Anyway I have grown fond of her...

She called me 3 weeks ago and told me she had to see me earlier than my next scheduled appointment... She was leaving the Clinic... She said she has been accepted in the United States Air Force... So I have an appointment with her next Thursday and I would like to give her a gift, a token of appreciation for her hard work and kindness... I don't have a clue on what to give her... I like to give practical gifts, something that will be used... I thought maybe a journal to document her Air Force journey, then I thought hell every thing is digital these days so I scratched that...

Please Help if you can any suggestions it would be much appreciated...

Boys and Girls I have a problem... As I have shared before I have a Chronic Liver disease and I have been undergoing treatment for the last 13 months at a Clinic here in Hawaii... My contact at the Clinic is a young lady and she is a Physicians Assistant... She is Chinese, but has lived in the U.S. for close to 20 years... I am guessing her age is 27 to 30 years of age... She is a go getter... Sharp as a tack and has a great sense of humor... Only problem I have with her is she talks really, really fast... She still speaks with a Chinese accent and I have some difficulty understanding her at times... Anyway I have grown fond of her...

She called me 3 weeks ago and told me she had to see me earlier than my next scheduled appointment... She was leaving the Clinic... She said she has been accepted in the United States Air Force... So I have an appointment with her next Thursday and I would like to give her a gift, a token of appreciation for her hard work and kindness... I don't have a clue on what to give her... I like to give practical gifts, something that will be used... I thought maybe a journal to document her Air Force journey, then I thought hell every thing is digital these days so I scratched that...

Maybe a nice thank you card containing an Amazon gift card. That way she could get something she needs.

Depending on how much you want to spend, whatever you get needs to be small, packable, portable, useful. A classy travel mug with a sentiment on it. . . .maybe a classy portable alarm clock?. . .a nice pen and pencil set?. . .and the journal wasn't a bad idea as I use my phone and/or laptop and/or desk top computer to do just about everything these days, but I still appreciate having a notebook on my desk to jot down a name or reminder of some sort or note critical passwords I don't want stored in my computer or on my phone and I carry it with me when we travel.

As I sit here drinking a tepid cup of instant coffee...

... all due to my own clumsiness. I was drying the carafe for my drip coffee maker and was careless and dropped it so, no fresh ground beans and good coffee for a couple days. First I tried to find a replacement carafe, but couldn't find one that I was sure would work, so to skip ordering the wrong one and the hassle of returning it, I researched "top ten coffee makers" and what not and did some reading, read reviews, etc, and settled on this little butte...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EI7DPPI/?tag=ff0d01-20

It actually gets about as good if not better reviews than any other coffee maker on Amazon, and the choice of either brewing myself one cup or a whole pot I think is a great idea. Tracking says it's "out for delivery," so after today, no more instant coffee for me... unless I drop another carafe.

Yeah we aren't Keurig people or French press people or espresso people--I do appreciate a good espresso though--and when it is just Hombre and me here we make pretty darn good coffee in our el cheapo Mr. Coffee maker. We replace it every two or three years as it will become decrepit and less efficient with regular use. We do use the removable, washable 'filter' and replace the little round disposable filters that cover that ever now and then.

When we have coffee drinking house guests though, we get out the old-fashioned 30-cup electric percolator and it really makes great coffee.
Yup! One of my favorite coffee makers:
View attachment 207264
Supposedly percolating coffee is one of the worst ways to prepare it. :dunno:
I like to just dump the grounds into the pot, bring it to a boil, simmer to taste, add a teaspoon of cold water (the colder, the better), serve with cream and honey, or sugar, to taste. Or just drink it the manly way, black.

As I sit here drinking a tepid cup of instant coffee...

... all due to my own clumsiness. I was drying the carafe for my drip coffee maker and was careless and dropped it so, no fresh ground beans and good coffee for a couple days. First I tried to find a replacement carafe, but couldn't find one that I was sure would work, so to skip ordering the wrong one and the hassle of returning it, I researched "top ten coffee makers" and what not and did some reading, read reviews, etc, and settled on this little butte...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EI7DPPI/?tag=ff0d01-20

It actually gets about as good if not better reviews than any other coffee maker on Amazon, and the choice of either brewing myself one cup or a whole pot I think is a great idea. Tracking says it's "out for delivery," so after today, no more instant coffee for me... unless I drop another carafe.

Yeah we aren't Keurig people or French press people or espresso people--I do appreciate a good espresso though--and when it is just Hombre and me here we make pretty darn good coffee in our el cheapo Mr. Coffee maker. We replace it every two or three years as it will become decrepit and less efficient with regular use. We do use the removable, washable 'filter' and replace the little round disposable filters that cover that ever now and then.

When we have coffee drinking house guests though, we get out the old-fashioned 30-cup electric percolator and it really makes great coffee.
Yup! One of my favorite coffee makers:
View attachment 207264
Supposedly percolating coffee is one of the worst ways to prepare it. :dunno:
I like to just dump the grounds into the pot, bring it to a boil, simmer to taste, add a teaspoon of cold water (the colder, the better), serve with cream and honey, or sugar, to taste. Or just drink it the manly way, black.
The old fashioned way.

Maybe a nice thank you card containing an Amazon gift card. That way she could get something she needs.

That's a great idea! No chance of duplicating something she already has that way.

Second pot of coffee through the new Hamilton Beach, and it's good. It is a very basic process so, I wasn't really expecting anything different.

I like the vintage coffee pots. I've picked a couple up at auctions and my Mom has one like the big blue porcelain one of mine in the pic, except hers is an antique white procelain. The size might be hard to decipher in the picks, but the blue one is probably a 3 gallon, it's big, and the stainless steel one may be close to a gallon. The porcelain pot doesn't have the guts but the stainless steel one does. You rarely see these come up for auction, and it's even more rare to see one with the insides. I think they're cool collectors...

20180728_070730.jpg
I'm looking for a big one like that blue one. I have a green one but it's getting old and because of the rust, I only use it to heat water. It's kept on the wood stove in the winter to operate as a humidifier.

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
TK
Gracie
Hombre's sister

View attachment 207296
th

My condolences on your loss, Sherry. Your loss is great, I am sure. I still mourn my mother. But, she does occasionally visit my dreams.

Sherry I also would like to share my condolences on your loss... Mothers are the backbone of the world and can not be replaced... My Mother would have been 90 years old on Friday... She passed 17 years ago... She is with me everyday... Lean on your family ma'am...

Forum List

Back